AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/)
-   -   Advice Needed: Sub Purchase (Model and Single or Dual?) (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/1395607-advice-needed-sub-purchase-model-single-dual.html)

mjvischu 02-21-2012 01:32 PM

Thanks in advance for the advice here. The high level context is that we recently bought a new home and finally have a family room that can be dedicated to home entertainment. I'm installing the surrounds and want a sub (or two) to complete the theater. The current setup for other components includes an Onkyo 707 (7.2) receiver/amp, Athena F2s and C1 in the front, and 4 Athena WS 15 satellite surrounds). I'd like to get 2 subs (I think it would help given 1 side of the room is open), but am open to opinions. Below are answers to key questions to help with providing advice:

1. Your budget. I'd prefer to keep the price at or below $1k or so.

2. Size requirements/limits. No strong need here... have ample space.

3. Room dimensions. 20' wide x 17' deep (7'10" ceilings). The viewing area is closer to 15' wide and there is a half staircase opening on the far side (away from viewing area) that opens into the home's foyer. Subs would likely be placed to the Left and Right of the main listening position (on either side and slightly behind a large couch).

4. Primary uses. 70% Movies/TV, 20% PS3, 10% Music (we mainly listen to music in a different room in the home).

5. Listening habits. For feature Blu-rays and Sports and PS3, the volume is up fairly loud... otherwise, listening at moderate volumes. No need to rattle the windows, but do want a 'punch' for movies.

6. Appearance requirements. Black cabinet is totally fine. Will largely be hidden from sight.

7. Timeframe. Not a strong factor to consider. Obviously the sooner the better, but I can wait for the right sub.

I've looked at 2x ED A2-300s, 2x HSU STF-2's, 2x HSU VTF-2 MK4's (maybe -- though pushing the budget), or a single HSU VTF-15H. Obviously there's a price range in there, so I'd love opinions for what I'll be trading off at different points. Also, should I be looking at other brands?

Thanks again for the advice!!

ack_bk 02-21-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjvischu View Post

Thanks in advance for the advice here. The high level context is that we recently bought a new home and finally have a family room that can be dedicated to home entertainment. I'm installing the surrounds and want a sub (or two) to complete the theater. The current setup for other components includes an Onkyo 707 (7.2) receiver/amp, Athena F2s and C1 in the front, and 4 Athena WS 15 satellite surrounds). I'd like to get 2 subs (I think it would help given 1 side of the room is open), but am open to opinions. Below are answers to key questions to help with providing advice:

1. Your budget. I'd prefer to keep the price at or below $1k or so.

2. Size requirements/limits. No strong need here... have ample space.

3. Room dimensions. 20' wide x 17' deep (7'10" ceilings). The viewing area is closer to 15' wide and there is a half staircase opening on the far side (away from viewing area) that opens into the home's foyer. Subs would likely be placed to the Left and Right of the main listening position (on either side and slightly behind a large couch).

4. Primary uses. 70% Movies/TV, 20% PS3, 10% Music (we mainly listen to music in a different room in the home).

5. Listening habits. For feature Blu-rays and Sports and PS3, the volume is up fairly loud... otherwise, listening at moderate volumes. No need to rattle the windows, but do want a 'punch' for movies.

6. Appearance requirements. Black cabinet is totally fine. Will largely be hidden from sight.

7. Timeframe. Not a strong factor to consider. Obviously the sooner the better, but I can wait for the right sub.

I've looked at 2x ED A2-300s, 2x HSU STF-2's, 2x HSU VTF-2 MK4's (maybe -- though pushing the budget), or a single HSU VTF-15H. Obviously there's a price range in there, so I'd love opinions for what I'll be trading off at different points. Also, should I be looking at other brands?

Thanks again for the advice!!

So does the stairway and foyer open to larger rooms? If so, you need to factor that in to your room requirements as sound will travel any way it can.

Honestly, it is a preference thing. I went from having the equivalent of two A2-300's to selling them for a single HSU VTF-15H. It really depends on your room and placement and your ability to integrate 2 or more subwoofers. My space is much larger than yours and I plan to add a second VTF-15H down the road if needed (I have a PA-150 that I may use as well). But I think there is some beneift into getting the biggest and baddest sub your can afford for Home Theater and then adding something else down the road if you need more bass. You could even get the VTF-15H and add a midbass module down the road.

oztech 02-21-2012 02:20 PM

That was what I did got the most sub for my budget and so far a very good choice with noticeable improvement and if I had it to do over I would still get the VTF-15H.

mjvischu 02-21-2012 04:27 PM

Yes, the stairway and foyer opens to a living room and kitchen. It's a split level with a fairly open floor plan.

Seems like I should up size what I was looking at given the open area.

You both say 'buy the most you can afford' which makes sense - but what about the 1 sub vs 2 sub argument? Should I buy 1 sub that maxes out my budget now or spend the same on 2 lesser subs?

And any others worth considering other than the hsu?

oztech 02-21-2012 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjvischu View Post

Yes, the stairway and foyer opens to a living room and kitchen. It's a split level with a fairly open floor plan.

Seems like I should up size what I was looking at given the open area.

You both say 'buy the most you can afford' which makes sense - but what about the 1 sub vs 2 sub argument? Should I buy 1 sub that maxes out my budget now or spend the same on 2 lesser subs?

And any others worth considering other than the hsu?

I will not get into the 2 sub argument but think about this if the 2 subs will not dig as deep as the single and it takes 2 of the cheaper models to have the same output then for my money I would want the nicest single I could afford. Two subs probably help smooth out some of the bass in bad rooms or extremely large rooms but for a lot of us do to limitations I still like putting all I can budget at the time on one really nice sub.