Another Sub recomendation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 02-21-2012, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ser_renely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have been reading through the forum, so don't want to make another thread, but my requirements don't seem to match exactly any I have found yet.

I currently have an older Klipsh KS-10. Time for an upgrade. I will be matching my new sub to monitor/bookshelf speakers. Something like BW CM5 or Focal 807w. Those are the front runners at the moment.

The room is 15x15ft, 9ft ceilings.

I listen to about a 50/50 blend of music and HT. I watch mostly dialogue driven movies, but when I do watch an action movie I like to feel it. I prefer sound quality over deep, deep bass. I don't always have my sub woofer on, neighbors etc...

Budget is open, but love spending less on great stuff - how rare that is.

I was wondering how much overkill would something like the HSU vtf-15 be? I can afford that, but only if its worth it over the other VTFs in quality. Are the VTF's the only subs that can do both music and HT really well?

Hopefully everyone's thoughts will help point me.

Thanks.
Ser

B&W cm5
Pioneer Elite SC-27
Panasonic 50" GT50
HTPC - i5, ATI 7790
Crappy Klipsch sub
ser_renely is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 31 Old 02-21-2012, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
Crabalocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 726
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Seaton SubMersive HP
Crabalocker is offline  
post #3 of 31 Old 02-21-2012, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ack_bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 8,787
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by ser_renely View Post

I have been reading through the forum, so don't want to make another thread, but my requirements don't seem to match exactly any I have found yet.

I currently have an older Klipsh KS-10. Time for an upgrade. I will be matching my new sub to monitor/bookshelf speakers. Something like BW CM5 or Focal 807w. Those are the front runners at the moment.

The room is 15x15ft, 9ft ceilings.

I listen to about a 50/50 blend of music and HT. I watch mostly dialogue driven movies, but when I do watch an action movie I like to feel it. I prefer sound quality over deep, deep bass. I don't always have my sub woofer on, neighbors etc...

Budget is open, but love spending less on great stuff - how rare that is.

I was wondering how much overkill would something like the HSU vtf-15 be? I can afford that, but only if its worth it over the other VTFs in quality. Are the VTF's the only subs that can do both music and HT really well?

Hopefully everyone's thoughts will help point me.

Thanks.
Ser

I would look into:
Rythmik 15
Epik Empire

The nice thing about the HSU are all the tuning options you have for music and movies. But you can get those options with the HSU VTF3-MK4 and it should be fine for the size of your room.
ack_bk is offline  
post #4 of 31 Old 02-21-2012, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
oztech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 7,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by ser_renely View Post

I have been reading through the forum, so don't want to make another thread, but my requirements don't seem to match exactly any I have found yet.

I currently have an older Klipsh KS-10. Time for an upgrade. I will be matching my new sub to monitor/bookshelf speakers. Something like BW CM5 or Focal 807w. Those are the front runners at the moment.

The room is 15x15ft, 9ft ceilings.

I listen to about a 50/50 blend of music and HT. I watch mostly dialogue driven movies, but when I do watch an action movie I like to feel it. I prefer sound quality over deep, deep bass. I don't always have my sub woofer on, neighbors etc...

Budget is open, but love spending less on great stuff - how rare that is.

I was wondering how much overkill would something like the HSU vtf-15 be? I can afford that, but only if its worth it over the other VTFs in quality. Are the VTF's the only subs that can do both music and HT really well?

Hopefully everyone's thoughts will help point me.

Thanks.
Ser

It worked for me now I don't have to wonder what if.
oztech is offline  
post #5 of 31 Old 02-21-2012, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ser_renely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabalocker View Post

Seaton SubMersive HP

I would say that is a touch out of my price range. I don't think I use a sub right now enough to warrant the 2k mark.

Is the sound quality upgrade worth it over say the VTF-15?

B&W cm5
Pioneer Elite SC-27
Panasonic 50" GT50
HTPC - i5, ATI 7790
Crappy Klipsch sub
ser_renely is offline  
post #6 of 31 Old 02-21-2012, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
oztech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 7,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by ser_renely View Post

I would say that is a touch out of my price range. I don't think I use a sub right now enough to warrant the 2k mark.

Is the sound quality upgrade worth it over say the VTF-15?

More like output I don't think to many subs can deliver that output for the same money.
oztech is offline  
post #7 of 31 Old 02-21-2012, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
jjackkrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A SubM HP is awesome, but its 2.5x your stated maximum budget. If you can swing it, great, but the HSU you are are looking at is reportedly an excellent sub and its in your stated price range. You can always find something better for more money. Your room isn't that big and the HSU should kick a$$ in it.
jjackkrash is offline  
post #8 of 31 Old 02-21-2012, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ser_renely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post

A SubM HP is awesome, but its 2.5x your stated maximum budget. If you can swing it, great, but the HSU you are are looking at is reportedly an excellent sub and its in your stated price range. You can always find something better for more money. Your room isn't that big and the HSU should kick a$$ in it.

I didn't think I stated a budget, but around 1k is what I think would make sense for my usage.

B&W cm5
Pioneer Elite SC-27
Panasonic 50" GT50
HTPC - i5, ATI 7790
Crappy Klipsch sub
ser_renely is offline  
post #9 of 31 Old 02-21-2012, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
jjackkrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ser_renely View Post

I didn't think I stated a budget, but around 1k is what I think would make sense for my usage.

Ok, sorry, I inferred that was your budget from the sub you were asking about, comparing it to less expensive subs, and asking if it was worth the upgrade. In any event, I think you can get a pretty nice sub in the $1k range and I have read lots of good things about that HSU you are looking at.
jjackkrash is offline  
post #10 of 31 Old 02-21-2012, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eljaycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 5,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Given your room size, listening preferences and budget, the HSU VTF-15H seems like a solid choice.
eljaycanuck is offline  
post #11 of 31 Old 02-21-2012, 07:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I'll add the Epik Empire to the list. It's sealed and utilizes two dual opposed 15" woofers.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

 

 

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
post #12 of 31 Old 02-21-2012, 07:54 PM
Member
 
Chatoboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
After alot of research and roughly the same listening criteria and room size as you, I purchased a Rythmik F15 and it should be here by the end of the week !! I think you should definitely put it on your short list.
Chatoboy is offline  
post #13 of 31 Old 02-22-2012, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ser_renely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatoboy View Post

After alot of research and roughly the same listening criteria and room size as you, I purchased a Rythmik F15 and it should be here by the end of the week !! I think you should definitely put it on your short list.

If you could let me know your thoughts, I would really appreciate it.

It is one of the ones I am looking at. It seems like Rythmik is more focused on sound quality than super deep bass. Which is what I want.

B&W cm5
Pioneer Elite SC-27
Panasonic 50" GT50
HTPC - i5, ATI 7790
Crappy Klipsch sub
ser_renely is offline  
post #14 of 31 Old 02-24-2012, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ser_renely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Epiks seem to have a good price point.

B&W cm5
Pioneer Elite SC-27
Panasonic 50" GT50
HTPC - i5, ATI 7790
Crappy Klipsch sub
ser_renely is offline  
post #15 of 31 Old 02-24-2012, 09:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatoboy View Post

After alot of research and roughly the same listening criteria and room size as you, I purchased a Rythmik F15 and it should be here by the end of the week !! I think you should definitely put it on your short list.

That's an awesome subwoofer. Enjoy!

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

 

 

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
post #16 of 31 Old 02-25-2012, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ser_renely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am leaning towards the Rythmiks at the moment. 12 or 15....

B&W cm5
Pioneer Elite SC-27
Panasonic 50" GT50
HTPC - i5, ATI 7790
Crappy Klipsch sub
ser_renely is offline  
post #17 of 31 Old 02-25-2012, 12:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ser_renely View Post

I am leaning towards the Rythmiks at the moment. 12 or 15....

Bigger is better.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

 

 

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
post #18 of 31 Old 02-26-2012, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ser_renely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Bigger is better.

I agree, but I have a small place. Don't want to be too big

B&W cm5
Pioneer Elite SC-27
Panasonic 50" GT50
HTPC - i5, ATI 7790
Crappy Klipsch sub
ser_renely is offline  
post #19 of 31 Old 02-27-2012, 05:26 AM
Member
 
Sidewayz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: HUSKERLAND
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ser_renely View Post

I agree, but I have a small place. Don't want to be too big

I am suprised noone mentioned the HSU ULS 15. Between the VTF-15 and ULF-15 I would go sealed ULF all the way, everytime. The VTF may play "louder" but the ULF is no slouch there either and it's SQ will best the VTF in pretty much every regard. Plus the ULF is on sale right now for $1099 so it is right at your budget limit. Also, the ULF is in a much smaller cabinet if space constraints are a consideration.
Sidewayz is offline  
post #20 of 31 Old 02-27-2012, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
oztech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 7,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewayz View Post

I am suprised noone mentioned the HSU ULS 15. Between the VTF-15 and ULF-15 I would go sealed ULF all the way, everytime. The VTF may play "louder" but the ULF is no slouch there either and it's SQ will best the VTF in pretty much every regard. Plus the ULF is on sale right now for $1099 so it is right at your budget limit. Also, the ULF is in a much smaller cabinet if space constraints are a consideration.

That is not exactly true you may want to visit the HSU forum the VTF-15 is tighter and cleaner than you think the ULS was mainly for people that wanted a smaller form factor.
oztech is offline  
post #21 of 31 Old 02-27-2012, 06:25 AM
Senior Member
 
polizzio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
If you really value sound quality, purchase an F15. I did 6 months ago, its so sweet with detailed music. I would not purchase an F12, for $100 more you get a lot more bang. You would be very pleased.
polizzio is offline  
post #22 of 31 Old 02-27-2012, 06:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ser_renely View Post

I agree, but I have a small place. Don't want to be too big

How small is the room?

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

 

 

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
post #23 of 31 Old 02-27-2012, 10:11 AM
Senior Member
 
polizzio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

How small is the room?

Did you read his first post in the thread?
polizzio is offline  
post #24 of 31 Old 02-27-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by polizzio View Post

Did you read his first post in the thread?

Yup - just making sure it doesn't open into a larger space. A lot of people only list the size of the listening space rather than the entire room and any openings to other rooms.

If it really is just about 2000 cu. ft. the F12 will be fine. But like I said, bigger is better, and you can always turn down a subwoofer that's too much for a room. But you cannot take a subwoofer that isn't enough for the room and simply turn it up enough to compensate; if it doesn't fly it doesn't fly.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

 

 

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
post #25 of 31 Old 02-27-2012, 06:01 PM
Member
 
Sidewayz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: HUSKERLAND
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

That is not exactly true you may want to visit the HSU forum the VTF-15 is tighter and cleaner than you think the ULS was mainly for people that wanted a smaller form factor.

From my experience it is. I also had a lengthy conversation with the gentleman in the HSU at RMAF and they agreed. Just goes to show listening is subjective!!
Sidewayz is offline  
post #26 of 31 Old 02-27-2012, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
qguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 57
What happens if I have 2 doors and a window that opens to the rest of the world ??? can someone provide the cu. Ft for that ? ..any sub recommendations ?

qguy...lives in a tropical country and sits besides the sub



Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Yup - just making sure it doesn't open into a larger space. A lot of people only list the size of the listening space rather than the entire room and any openings to other rooms.

If it really is just about 2000 cu. ft. the F12 will be fine. But like I said, bigger is better, and you can always turn down a subwoofer that's too much for a room. But you cannot take a subwoofer that isn't enough for the room and simply turn it up enough to compensate; if it doesn't fly it doesn't fly.

qguy is offline  
post #27 of 31 Old 02-27-2012, 07:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by qguy View Post

What happens if I have 2 doors and a window that opens to the rest of the world ??? can someone provide the cu. Ft for that ? ..any sub recommendations ?

LOL, then I guess you're screwed.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

 

 

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
post #28 of 31 Old 02-27-2012, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Luis Gabriel Gerena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Orem, Utah
Posts: 2,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Another vote for the VTF-15H. I just got one and so far and I am very impressed. I will be working a on review soon.

Mario Lemieux is GOD!
Go Pens!!!
Aguante Boca!!!
If dolphins are so smart...why do they live in igloos?
Luis Gabriel Gerena is offline  
post #29 of 31 Old 02-27-2012, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
jjackkrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

LOL, then I guess you're screwed.

Nope, not screwed, you just need to borrow equipment from these guys:

http://hhgproject.org/entries/disasterarea.html
jjackkrash is offline  
post #30 of 31 Old 03-03-2012, 12:59 PM
Member
 
Chatoboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So I've had a little time to play with the Rythmik F15 and all I can say is it's really listening Bliss!! I too have a 2000 cu. ft. listening room with two open doorways at each end and this thing has no problem filling this space! I knew that, and almost ordered the F12, but for $100 more this will be the last sub I'll buy for a long time. I have NHT Classic 3's and a 3 Center and this sub seems like a perfect match. The Rythmik replaced an HSU STF-2, which did really well in my space, but on certain music it just seemed some notes were missing? I'm not a big gamer, but Black Op's explosions have an all new feel and depth. I don't know the technical terms, but bass notes seem to carry more weight yet are very accurate. 9 out of 10 people would have been more than happy with the HSU(my wife included, she said, we need another subwoofer why?) but I do notice a definite improvement and am very happy with my purchase. The HSU found a new home, so the wife is OK at the moment, still trying to find a way to tell her about the new rear surrounds that are on the way!
Chatoboy is offline  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off