Genesis G-298 Subwoofer opinion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 02-23-2012, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, does anybody have experience with Genesis G-928 subwoofer? I have an opportunity to purchase it for $1000. My main speakers are VIENNA ACOUSTICS BEETHOVEN driven by Emotiva XPA-3.

Thanks,
Nikolay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 02-23-2012, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 337
I don't know anything about it personally, but the review on 6moons was pretty effusive (although the writer meandered incessantly, and went off topic with such frequency as to make the article almost unreadable). $1000 is less than half price too so if that's a new unit it's certainly a bargain, relative to it's original price.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #3 of 25 Old 02-24-2012, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Jim. Decided to buy it and will post my impressions about the sub. I have Velodyne Impact 12 right now, but can feel that it can't keep up with the speakers in clarity. Although it's not very fair to the poor thing since my amp for the main speakers is more powerful than the subwoofer's amp (300w vs 165w). You are correct about 6moons article. I read through it and inferred, can't claim I understood , that the sub is awesome. Well, more to come...
post #4 of 25 Old 02-24-2012, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick-seattle View Post

Decided to buy it and will post my impressions about the sub.

Please do, I'm curious to see if it's worth the money. The owner/engineer of Genesis appears to have a lot of knowledge and a pretty solid pedigree behind him. The configuration of the G-298 is perhaps my favorite too; dual opposing drivers in a small cabinet with a powerful amp. I love the resonance canceling properties of that design and the added output and extension it provides. Since my space for HT is not terribly large -- about 2000 CF -- I also tend towards speakers and subs that are a bit more discreet.

Which finish did you get?

Quote:

I have Velodyne Impact 12 right now, but can feel that it can't keep up with the speakers in clarity.

I can see that; the Impact 12 is not really a good match for the likes of Vienna Acoustics speakers. That's akin to putting a 4 cylinder motor in a Bugatti and wondering why the darn thing is so slow...

post #5 of 25 Old 02-24-2012, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Thanks, Jim. Decided to buy it and will post my impressions about the sub. I have Velodyne Impact 12 right now, but can feel that it can't keep up with the speakers in clarity. Although it's not very fair to the poor thing since my amp for the main speakers is more powerful than the subwoofer's amp (300w vs 165w). You are correct about 6moons article. I read through it and inferred, can't claim I understood , that the sub is awesome. Well, more to come...

I wonder if the Genesis G-928 has more to offer than an Epik Empire? The Empire made the CNET top 10 speakers for $1,000.
post #6 of 25 Old 02-24-2012, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Please do, I'm curious to see if it's worth the money. The owner/engineer of Genesis appears to have a lot of knowledge and a pretty solid pedigree behind him. The configuration of the G-298 is perhaps my favorite too; dual opposing drivers in a small cabinet with a powerful amp. I love the resonance canceling properties of that design and the added output and extension it provides. Since my space for HT is not terribly large -- about 2000 CF -- I also tend towards speakers and subs that are a bit more discreet.

Which finish did you get?

I can see that; the Impact 12 is not really a good match for the likes of Vienna Acoustics speakers. That's akin to putting a 4 cylinder motor in a Bugatti and wondering why the darn thing is so slow...

Most of the speakers shown on the web site are 25 year old designs by Arnie Nudell who left Genesis in 2006. Genesis had been a struggling high-end company for decades. That is one reason you see only reviews from minor audiophile rags.
post #7 of 25 Old 02-24-2012, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

Genesis had been a struggling high-end company for decades.

How does a small company struggle for decades, yet still survive? That impossible for even large companies.

Quote:

That is one reason you see only reviews from minor audiophile rags.

Yea, like 6moons. What a "minor" rag that is...

post #8 of 25 Old 02-24-2012, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How does a small company struggle for decades, yet still survive? That impossible for even large companies.

Yea, like 6moons. What a "minor" rag that is...

You are kidding right? The high-end has been shrinking for years. Some of these companies are virtually one man operations. You have no idea how long someone with decades of work invested will keep a company operating. After a certain point, profits are not the motivation any longer. Some of these companies are the raison d'etre of the owner.

I only speak from 45 years experience.
post #9 of 25 Old 02-24-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You are kidding right?

Not even the slightest bit.

post #10 of 25 Old 02-24-2012, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You are kidding right? The high-end has been shrinking for years. Some of these companies are virtually one man operations. You have no idea how long someone with decades of work invested will keep a company operating. After a certain point, profits are not the motivation any longer. Some of these companies are the raison d'etre of the owner.

I only speak from 45 years experience.

I bow to your knowledge of subwoofers under $300, but the high end? Not so much.
post #11 of 25 Old 02-24-2012, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I bow to your knowledge of subwoofers under $300, but the high end? Not so much.

Your dyspeptic manner does nothing more then prove how simple and petty you truly are, quite similar to your incessant need (insatiable desire?) to pawn yourself off as some type of oracle. The posts you've "contributed" to this thread are endemic to that, and classify as nothing more then pontification. Disingenuous comments like yours serve only to inflate a post count, and don't provide anything other than an ego boost.

Thankfully you and I will never be on the same plane. The sooner you realize that -- and cease spewing your drivel in response to my posts -- the better off we'll both be. Stop polluting yet another thread and go about your business, whatever that might constitute.

post #12 of 25 Old 02-25-2012, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

Wow... Ok... Hmmmm... So I got the sub and it's freaking gorgeous! the piano black exterior is just fantastic. I work out, but man... I was quite exhausted caring that thing to my car- it weights 85lb. Very solid! The guy who sold it to me had a laptop on the top of it and there were no vibrations coming from the sub!

So, I got it in. Connected through LFE... quite disappointing. For some reason the sub goes super-low in frequency. I can see it moving, but can't hear anything - I'm not that old yet

So I connected it through line in in the sub - much better, but Still couldn't really say that it completely destroyed my Velodyne. I started to doubt my investment.

I decided to try the final - the recommended - connection through speaker wires. I connected output from both speakers to the sub speaker in. WOW... What a difference. Now... I have not used many subs before. I really liked by Velodyne before I got Vienna, but since the purchase I clearly saw a gap in performance. Getting back to the sub... I can't hear it as well as Velo, but I can feel it. Even my wife commented that now dishes upstairs vibrate much more violently

To test it out I turned on Tomoyasu Hotei's record called Battle without Honor. Previously Velo would just make crazy noise and I couldn't hear anything in the beginning. I had to close my ears to get through the first 20-30 seconds of performance. With Genesis, it turned out that It's a drum on the set that they are banging and I could hear every hit of the drum not only hear but feel it down to my bones.

So I'm completely satisfied with the sub. I have to roll it down to 60Hz for it to integrate well with Vienna's. Now I use my Velo to assist my center speaker with low end and use output from both L&R speakers to power Genesis. Love the outcome. Everything sounds so much fuller, not louder, but fuller. Took me some time to get used to not hearing the sub, but feeling it, but it's absolutely fantastic.

Jim, it feels that my 4 cylinder was replaced by v10, very low, very smooth, very fast...
post #13 of 25 Old 02-25-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jim, it feels that my 4 cylinder was replaced by v10, very low, very smooth, very fast...

The Bugatti has a V16 motor, so maybe you actually need two of those subs instead...

I'm glad it worked out for you. Was the sub new? If so it might take a dozen or more hours for it to loosen up, at which point it should sound even better.

I noticed on the 6moons review that the designer mentioned using the speaker level inputs instead. Not sure why the line in's aren't the connection method of choice -- which is how most other HT subs are configured -- but I guess Genesis built their amp differently.

post #14 of 25 Old 02-25-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your dyspeptic manner does nothing more then prove how simple and petty you truly are, quite similar to your incessant need (insatiable desire?) to pawn yourself off as some type of oracle. The posts you've "contributed" to this thread are endemic to that, and classify as nothing more then pontification. Disingenuous comments like yours serve only to inflate a post count, and don't provide anything other than an ego boost.

Thankfully you and I will never be on the same plane. The sooner you realize that -- and cease spewing your drivel in response to my posts -- the better off we'll both be. Stop polluting yet another thread and go about your business, whatever that might constitute.

Again I bow to your knowledge, of subs costing less than $300...
post #15 of 25 Old 02-25-2012, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Yah, the guy was selling actually 2 of them, but at $1000 a pop I just couldn't afford, especially after Vienna's purchase. I'm not sure why the speaker connection works better. One of the explanation from designers is that timing is more precise this way. Oh well... It's easier to connect this way for me anyways. 10 gauge wires cost less than a good RCA interconnect and at the power they are sending through the wire, they are less prone to distortion.

Now. I haven't noticed much benefit from Center channel being augmented by Velodyne, but time will show...

Does anybody have a positive/negative experience using sub for center?
post #16 of 25 Old 02-25-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Again I bow to your knowledge, of subs costing less than $300...

What do you think you are achieving by belittling another member of this Forum

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #17 of 25 Old 02-25-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

Just proving my point is all. It's funny and sad at the same time, but if nothing else it's amusing to watch him flounder about and embarrass himself with such regularity.

post #18 of 25 Old 02-25-2012, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

I gather you are referring to Jim calling me "simple", and "petty" which is a direct attack and a violation of Forum rules. Rather than trying to argue the merits of my question (about whether the Epik Empire might be a better sub for less money), or discuss the substance of my statements about high end audio companies, Jim chose to calling names.

And, as far as referring to his knowledge of subs under $300, he calls himself "The Budget Sub Dude." Enough said.
post #19 of 25 Old 02-25-2012, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I gather you are referring to Jim calling me "simple", and "petty" which is a direct attack and a violation of Forum rules. Rather than trying to argue the merits of my question (about whether the Epik Empire might be a better sub for less money), or discuss the substance of my statements about high end audio companies, Jim chose to calling names.

And, as far as referring to his knowledge of subs under $300, he calls himself "The Budget Sub Dude." Enough said.

As usual the first salvo was fired by you, I just responded to it. I don't attack, but I do react. Big difference.

I made no reference to your comment regarding the Empire because I had nothing to contribute regarding it. What you said may or may not be true but it didn't require any additional comment from me, so I supplied none. Your subsequent comments did however, so I responded accordingly. Take note of the difference.

Condescension is your stock in trade, but to assume everyone will tolerate it is simply unrealistic. I certainly won't. I've told you in the past, quite pointedly, that the best way to avoid conflict is to simply not reply to any of my posts. I afford you that courtesy, you should do the same for me.

I've also made it clear your actions do nothing more then pollute other peoples threads with your pettiness, and this is a classic example. Contain your urge to get involved in anything I do and we'll be fine, otherwise this will continue to happen. Hopefully this time I've made it very clear how to resolve the issue at hand. For everyone's sake head the advice.

post #20 of 25 Old 02-26-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As usual the first salvo was fired by you, I just responded to it. I don't attack, but I do react. Big difference.

I made no reference to your comment regarding the Empire because I had nothing to contribute regarding it. What you said may or may not be true but it didn't require any additional comment from me, so I supplied none. Your subsequent comments did however, so I responded accordingly. Take note of the difference.

Condescension is your stock in trade, but to assume everyone will tolerate it is simply unrealistic. I certainly won't. I've told you in the past, quite pointedly, that the best way to avoid conflict is to simply not reply to any of my posts. I afford you that courtesy, you should do the same for me.

I've also made it clear your actions do nothing more then pollute other peoples threads with your pettiness, and this is a classic example. Contain your urge to get involved in anything I do and we'll be fine, otherwise this will continue to happen. Hopefully this time I've made it very clear how to resolve the issue at hand. For everyone's sake head the advice.

If you can't resist attacking my posting, simply put me on your ignore list.
post #21 of 25 Old 02-26-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you can't resist attacking my posting, simply put me on your ignore list.

Reality twist 180 degree's. Again.

Since it's painfully obvious you have no intention of heeding anyone else's advice perhaps you can at least heed your own. Ignore list. Use it. For everyone's sake.

If you can't even do that then take it off line from here on out.

post #22 of 25 Old 02-27-2012, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Reality twist 180 degree's. Again.

Since it's painfully obvious you have no intention of heeding anyone else's advice perhaps you can at least heed your own. Ignore list. Use it. For everyone's sake.

If you can't even do that then take it off line from here on out.

If you can't resist attacking my posting I suggest you put me on your ignore list.
post #23 of 25 Old 02-27-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you can't resist attacking my posting I suggest you put me on your ignore list.

TAKE IT OFF LINE. Is that clear enough for you now?

post #24 of 25 Old 02-27-2012, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

TAKE IT OFF LINE. Is that clear enough for you now?

I will continue to recommend that you put me on your ignore list.
post #25 of 25 Old 02-27-2012, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Genesis, IIRC, has been through a couple of bankruptcies.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page