Budget subwoofers discussions, opinions and questions thread - Page 100 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #2971 of 2980 Old 09-28-2014, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] View Post
With an extension only down to 30hz at -3db, it's not bringing much to the table. You're being charitable when you characterize the PS225 as being good for music. Certainly it's not good for well-mastered pipe organ music!

For organ music perhaps, but the other 99% it reproduces quite well. There isn't a lot of content below 30Hz in most music, so in that regard -- and in overall sound quality -- the PS225 is a pretty nice subwoofer.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 2980 Old Yesterday, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] View Post
With an extension only down to 30hz at -3db, it's not bringing much to the table. You're being charitable when you characterize the PS225 as being good for music. Certainly it's not good for well-mastered pipe organ music!
Don't take me the wrong way, but were all sub owners pipe organ music aficionados prior to purchasing their bad ass subs or is it the other way around?

I swear, I see so many people mention the deficiency of subs for music because they would lack with pipe organ music that it has me seriously questioning my musical tastes and the fact that I am yet to meet anyone who is enthusiastic about pipe organ music
eljaycanuck, cel4145 and Gmash like this.
post #2973 of 2980 Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post
Don't take me the wrong way, but were all sub owners pipe organ music aficionados prior to purchasing their bad ass subs or is it the other way around?

I swear, I see so many people mention the deficiency of subs for music because they would lack with pipe organ music that it has me seriously questioning my musical tastes and the fact that I am yet to meet anyone who is enthusiastic about pipe organ music
It's an easy reference to call into question the deficiencies of subwoofers who can neither dig much deeper than your mains, nor play at high SPLs. Those two jobs are the primary jobs of a subwoofer, and anything which cannot do this is deficient.

COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!
post #2974 of 2980 Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 1315
In any forum you are always going to encounter purists/idealists who can't possibly conceptualize anyone having goals which are not aligned with their own. OMG, a subwoofer CANNOT BE GOOD AT MUSIC if it can't faithfully reproduce pipe organs! That's why you need to develop a filter and learn to balance your own priorities and needs vs the advise you are getting.
cel4145 and Gmash like this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2975 of 2980 Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
In any forum you are always going to encounter purists/idealists who can't possibly conceptualize anyone having goals which are not aligned with their own. OMG, a subwoofer CANNOT BE GOOD AT MUSIC if it can't faithfully reproduce pipe organs! That's why you need to develop a filter and learn to balance your own priorities and needs vs the advise you are getting.
+1
post #2976 of 2980 Old Yesterday, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:

I was kinda wondering when the enforcer was going to show up...

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #2977 of 2980 Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

lol
post #2978 of 2980 Old Yesterday, 12:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post

So true. I'm sure there are more people that listen to rap and electronic music that has <30hz content than there are serious pipe organ music fans. LOL

Your questions are answered:

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #2979 of 2980 Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 1315
Especially in the "budget subwoofer" thread. Sheesh. Pretty much by definition every subwoofer discussed here is "deficient" in some way. The point is to work with people's budgets and needs and find a solution that offers the best selection of compromises for their specific setup.

You get the same thing in every subforum. There are those who think every AVR/speaker combo is crap if it can't output full, undistorted reference SPL. Never mind that the person asking for advise is getting a casual, WAF friendly, living room setup and won't ever go above -20dB
eljaycanuck likes this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

post #2980 of 2980 Old Yesterday, 01:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Especially in the "budget subwoofer" thread. Sheesh. Pretty much by definition every subwoofer discussed here is "deficient" in some way. The point is to work with people's budgets and needs and find a solution that offers the best selection of compromises for their specific setup.

You get the same thing in every subforum. There are those who think every AVR/speaker combo is crap if it can't output full, undistorted reference SPL. Never mind that the person asking for advise is getting a casual, WAF friendly, living room setup and won't ever go above -20dB
Word.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page