Budget subwoofers discussions, opinions and questions thread - Page 100 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #2971 of 2985 Old 09-28-2014, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] View Post
With an extension only down to 30hz at -3db, it's not bringing much to the table. You're being charitable when you characterize the PS225 as being good for music. Certainly it's not good for well-mastered pipe organ music!

For organ music perhaps, but the other 99% it reproduces quite well. There isn't a lot of content below 30Hz in most music, so in that regard -- and in overall sound quality -- the PS225 is a pretty nice subwoofer.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 2985 Old 09-29-2014, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] View Post
With an extension only down to 30hz at -3db, it's not bringing much to the table. You're being charitable when you characterize the PS225 as being good for music. Certainly it's not good for well-mastered pipe organ music!
Don't take me the wrong way, but were all sub owners pipe organ music aficionados prior to purchasing their bad ass subs or is it the other way around?

I swear, I see so many people mention the deficiency of subs for music because they would lack with pipe organ music that it has me seriously questioning my musical tastes and the fact that I am yet to meet anyone who is enthusiastic about pipe organ music
eljaycanuck, cel4145 and Gmash like this.
post #2973 of 2985 Old 09-29-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post
Don't take me the wrong way, but were all sub owners pipe organ music aficionados prior to purchasing their bad ass subs or is it the other way around?

I swear, I see so many people mention the deficiency of subs for music because they would lack with pipe organ music that it has me seriously questioning my musical tastes and the fact that I am yet to meet anyone who is enthusiastic about pipe organ music
It's an easy reference to call into question the deficiencies of subwoofers who can neither dig much deeper than your mains, nor play at high SPLs. Those two jobs are the primary jobs of a subwoofer, and anything which cannot do this is deficient.

COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!
post #2974 of 2985 Old 09-29-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked: 1323
In any forum you are always going to encounter purists/idealists who can't possibly conceptualize anyone having goals which are not aligned with their own. OMG, a subwoofer CANNOT BE GOOD AT MUSIC if it can't faithfully reproduce pipe organs! That's why you need to develop a filter and learn to balance your own priorities and needs vs the advise you are getting.
cel4145 and Gmash like this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2975 of 2985 Old 09-29-2014, 12:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
In any forum you are always going to encounter purists/idealists who can't possibly conceptualize anyone having goals which are not aligned with their own. OMG, a subwoofer CANNOT BE GOOD AT MUSIC if it can't faithfully reproduce pipe organs! That's why you need to develop a filter and learn to balance your own priorities and needs vs the advise you are getting.
+1
post #2976 of 2985 Old 09-29-2014, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was kinda wondering when the enforcer was going to show up...

post #2977 of 2985 Old 09-29-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

lol
post #2978 of 2985 Old 09-29-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post

So true. I'm sure there are more people that listen to rap and electronic music that has <30hz content than there are serious pipe organ music fans. LOL

Your questions are answered:

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #2979 of 2985 Old 09-29-2014, 01:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Especially in the "budget subwoofer" thread. Sheesh. Pretty much by definition every subwoofer discussed here is "deficient" in some way. The point is to work with people's budgets and needs and find a solution that offers the best selection of compromises for their specific setup.

You get the same thing in every subforum. There are those who think every AVR/speaker combo is crap if it can't output full, undistorted reference SPL. Never mind that the person asking for advise is getting a casual, WAF friendly, living room setup and won't ever go above -20dB
eljaycanuck likes this.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #2980 of 2985 Old 09-29-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Especially in the "budget subwoofer" thread. Sheesh. Pretty much by definition every subwoofer discussed here is "deficient" in some way. The point is to work with people's budgets and needs and find a solution that offers the best selection of compromises for their specific setup.

You get the same thing in every subforum. There are those who think every AVR/speaker combo is crap if it can't output full, undistorted reference SPL. Never mind that the person asking for advise is getting a casual, WAF friendly, living room setup and won't ever go above -20dB
Word.
post #2981 of 2985 Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM
ftt

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Okay, I currently have two Klipsch F-3 floor standing speakers with a newly purchased Klipsch RC-62 II on it's way for my center. My surround sound is going to be in-wall speakers (4 of them). What's left is picking out my subwoofer. My budget is from $200 to $400 bucks. If there's a really great deal, I may be able to move up to $500...but would prefer to stay under $400 if I can.

From reading old and current threads (including this one), I've compiled a small list with a decent price range. Given my rectangle 14x24 sized room and my current speakers, what would be a good sub for me? Any help is appreciated, and feel free to recommend outside of my list!

Ordered by price, not preference so far:

BIC F12 -- $185.22
nxg nx bas-500 -- $269
Klipsch sub-12 --$293
BIC PL200 --#328
SVS PB-1000 -- $499
post #2982 of 2985 Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by JP32

Great thread, thanks for the reviews, Jim.

My TSC-100-110 sub is dying and I need a new budget sub.

Right now, my choices seem to be:

Dayton 10" (Sub-100) --- $89 (free shipping)

Monoprice 12" -- $85 plus shipping

This Dayton says it goes down to 25hz...

Dayton 12"
(Sub-1200) --- $129 (free shipping)

Velodyne 10" (VX 11)
-- $179

The big winner seems to be this guy --- As it is down-firing but the port is on the side.... that's a big plus for me, since my 1 yr old boy may destroy a front-firing sub. Anyone have experience with these?

Bic America 12" (Venturi V1220)
- $168

I've actually owned the VX11, and it's a pretty good sub. Fairly articulate, and can get reasonably loud, but doesn't quite have the extension necessary for the deep LFE info.

From what I can tell the V1220 is a solid choice for a budget sub. Not the most articulate out their, but if you primarily watch movies and TV it should provide what you need. The VX11 will have more clarity, while the V1220 will be able to dig a little deeper.

The rest of those mentioned will more then likely be rather bloated and indistinct. Remember, you're buying a speaker and an amp when you get a powered sub. In order for a company to sell both of those for $100 (or less) and make a profit means they have definitely cut some corners. Depending upon what you're looking to achieve they might work, but I find myself a little suspicious.
Definitely right about the Monoprice sub, in terms of bloated, indistinct bass. It was a toss up between that and the Dayton 12" for my mom, and I talked her into the Monoprice since it matched her decor better. She likes a lot of bass, and initially we were going to get her a second one. 1st impressions; the bass port had fallen off the flared end, and was bouncing around inside the cabinet, as soon as I took it out of the shipping box. It looked like there was zero adhesive to secure it to the flared opening, so I pressure fitted it as best I could and wrapped duct tape around it. Once I got it setup and adjustments made, it was loud enough, but it was bloated, one-notey, and just boomy. I got it at least to be passable for my mom with her 60 yr old hearing. It was loud, along with her Onkyo 5.1 AVR and Polk speakers, so she was happy, but after hearing hers, I certainly wouldn't have one, and I will feel forever guilty for selling her on that Monoprice sub. Should've gone with the Dayton.
post #2983 of 2985 Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftt View Post
Okay, I currently have two Klipsch F-3 floor standing speakers with a newly purchased Klipsch RC-62 II on it's way for my center. My surround sound is going to be in-wall speakers (4 of them). What's left is picking out my subwoofer. My budget is from $200 to $400 bucks. If there's a really great deal, I may be able to move up to $500...but would prefer to stay under $400 if I can.

From reading old and current threads (including this one), I've compiled a small list with a decent price range. Given my rectangle 14x24 sized room and my current speakers, what would be a good sub for me? Any help is appreciated, and feel free to recommend outside of my list!

Ordered by price, not preference so far:

BIC F12 -- $185.22
nxg nx bas-500 -- $269
Klipsch sub-12 --$293
BIC PL200 --#328
SVS PB-1000 -- $499
If you can afford $500, the Outlaw LFM-1 Plus is currently on sale for $499 with free shipping: https://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfm1plus.html

It's a slightly better sub than the PB-1000, so I would grab it and don't look back.

Otherwise I'd go with the PL-200 if you really need to save the $200.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #2984 of 2985 Old Yesterday, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Agree with Batpig, grab the Outlaw if you can afford it. I believe the sale ends today.

Also agree, if you want to keep the cost down go with the PL-200. Just received mine early last week and after a little setup I think it's a great sub for the price (Background: Had a Mirage Omni-S8 in a 13.5'Wx17.5'D room open on one side and one end, so take this for what it's worth). You can choose "Make an Offer" for the PL-200 on eBay and sometimes get them for under $290.00 including shipping (hope it's OK to mention that?)
post #2985 of 2985 Old Yesterday, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post
You can choose "Make an Offer" for the PL-200 on eBay and sometimes get them for under $290.00 including shipping (hope it's OK to mention that?)

Yup, it is.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page