Budget subwoofers discussions, opinions and questions thread - Page 103 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 21Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2014, 03:25 PM
Member
 
Spritzup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey All,

I am looking for a 10-inch sub around the $200 price point. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Spritzup is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-30-2014, 03:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 13,004
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritzup View Post
Hey All,

I am looking for a 10-inch sub around the $200 price point. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Why 10-inch?
Bond 007 is offline  
Old 12-30-2014, 03:56 PM
Member
 
Spritzup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Mostly for the WAF. She would like the HT to be as invisible as possible, so I am going with in-wall speakers. I have a spot to slide the sub in, but I am pretty sure a 12-inch will not fit.
Spritzup is online now  
Old 12-30-2014, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
Kurtz9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritzup View Post
Mostly for the WAF. She would like the HT to be as invisible as possible, so I am going with in-wall speakers. I have a spot to slide the sub in, but I am pretty sure a 12-inch will not fit.
What about the Dayton 1200? It's pretty small for a 12 (at least compared to my SVS 12), only $99 shipped, and does a hell of a job for a cheap sub
Kurtz9 is offline  
Old 12-30-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 13,004
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritzup View Post
Mostly for the WAF. She would like the HT to be as invisible as possible, so I am going with in-wall speakers. I have a spot to slide the sub in, but I am pretty sure a 12-inch will not fit.
Ah! The dreaded WAF!
Dimensions? Sounds like you'll need front ported. May be a tough sell.
Bond 007 is offline  
Old 12-30-2014, 04:08 PM
Member
 
Spritzup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I do like the challenge of having a "hidden" (as it were) HT setup. Most of our friends are happy with the sound from the TV speakers, so this will be rather impressive regardless

As for the dimensions, the space is beside a corner couch and is 16" wide by 34" deep.

Thanks!
Spritzup is online now  
Old 12-30-2014, 04:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 13,004
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritzup View Post
I do like the challenge of having a "hidden" (as it were) HT setup. Most of our friends are happy with the sound from the TV speakers, so this will be rather impressive regardless

As for the dimensions, the space is beside a corner couch and is 16" wide by 34" deep.

Thanks!
Height is not an issue? Space is open in the front and back?
Bond 007 is offline  
Old 12-30-2014, 04:16 PM
Member
 
Spritzup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I didn't even think of height...

Height would be about 22".

There is a wall behind the space, but the front is wide open. So from the front edge of the couch, we have 34" to the wall.

Does that make sense?
Spritzup is online now  
Old 12-30-2014, 06:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 13,004
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 983
Yes. 34"l x 16"w x 22"h and open at the front.
Glad you like a challenge because finding a subwoofer by dimensions is difficult. Sometimes the dimensions on the website aren't correct. Front ported would be best which makes the search even harder. I would just start looking at subs in your price range and look at their dimensions. When you find something that might fit post it here for opinions on performance.

Last edited by Bond 007; 12-30-2014 at 06:13 PM.
Bond 007 is offline  
Old 12-30-2014, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
Kurtz9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 87
FWIW the Dayton 1200 is 16-3/4" H x 16-3/16" W x 17-3/4" D so it'd fit in your space..... the other most-oft-mentioned $200 or less sub, the Bic F12, is 17"H x 14 3/4"W x 17 1/4"D so that'd also fit and unlike the Dayton it's front firing (the Dayton is downward firing)

Normally consensus seems to be the Bic isn't worth the 50-100% price premium over the Dayton but given the front vs down firing thing it might be in your case.
Kurtz9 is offline  
Old 12-30-2014, 07:47 PM
Member
 
Spritzup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Klipsch Synergy SUB10 (17"h x 14"w x 19"d)
Klipsch KW-100 (15.5"h x 13.5"w x 13.5"d)
JBL NL-150 (17"h x 13"w x 14"d)
Dayton Sub-1000 (15"h x 14"w x 15"d)
BIC Venturi V1020 (16.5"h x 15"w x 13"d)
PA-10 (18.35"h x 13"w x 15.75"d)

Those are what I can think of off an initial pass... I tried reading through this entire thread, but then my head started to spin. I'm open to any other suggestions
Spritzup is online now  
Old 12-31-2014, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 4,909
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritzup View Post
Those are what I can think of off an initial pass... I tried reading through this entire thread, but then my head started to spin. I'm open to any other suggestions


What size is your room (HxWxD)? A 10" sub might be desirable from a visual perspective but maybe not so good from an aural one.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is offline  
Old 12-31-2014, 06:24 AM
Member
 
Spritzup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
9.5'h x 10'w x 16'd

~Spritz
Spritzup is online now  
Old 12-31-2014, 06:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 13,004
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritzup View Post
Klipsch Synergy SUB10 (17"h x 14"w x 19"d)
Klipsch KW-100 (15.5"h x 13.5"w x 13.5"d)
JBL NL-150 (17"h x 13"w x 14"d)
Dayton Sub-1000 (15"h x 14"w x 15"d)
BIC Venturi V1020 (16.5"h x 15"w x 13"d)
PA-10 (18.35"h x 13"w x 15.75"d)

Those are what I can think of off an initial pass... I tried reading through this entire thread, but then my head started to spin. I'm open to any other suggestions
Of those I would get the Synergy SUB10. It's downfiring and rear ported. The controls are also in the rear so you could place it with the rear facing out.
Bond 007 is offline  
Old 12-31-2014, 01:45 PM
Member
 
Spritzup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks Jim for the PM, I truly do appreciate it Unfortunately I can't reply in kind as I don't yet have enough posts.

Having said that, with a new baby on the way I really do have to stick around the $200 price point.

I do have a question, I see the OSD-PS10 sub is ~$130. Would you still suggest the PS-88 over it? I know the PS-88 looks better, but the looks isn't important as it will be tucked virtually out of sight (which is why I have a size limitation).

Thanks again!


Also, thank you Bond007 for the advice

~Spritz
Spritzup is online now  
Old 01-01-2015, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 4,909
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritzup View Post
I do have a question, I see the OSD-PS10 sub is ~$130. Would you still suggest the PS-88 over it? I know the PS-88 looks better, but the looks isn't important as it will be tucked virtually out of sight (which is why I have a size limitation).


Given your circumstances the Dayton SUB-1200 might be a better option. It's relatively small, fits your price target with room to spare and can hold its own when it comes to HT.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is offline  
Old 01-01-2015, 11:14 AM
Member
 
Spritzup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post


Given your circumstances the Dayton SUB-1200 might be a better option. It's relatively small, fits your price target with room to spare and can hold its own when it comes to HT.
Thanks Jim. Unfortunately according to Dayton's spec sheet, the SUB-1200 is a bit too wide.

~Spritz
Spritzup is online now  
Old 01-01-2015, 02:54 PM
Member
 
Spritzup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You've all given me a lot to think about, introducing me to subwoofer companies that I didn't even know existed. I think I'm going to see if I can stretch the budget a bit and maybe try and get a Premier Acoustic PA-120, as I've heard they can be had for ~$220.

~Spritz
Spritzup is online now  
Old 01-01-2015, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 4,909
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritzup View Post
You've all given me a lot to think about, introducing me to subwoofer companies that I didn't even know existed. I think I'm going to see if I can stretch the budget a bit and maybe try and get a Premier Acoustic PA-120, as I've heard they can be had for ~$220.


If you're going to place a sub in an enclosed space getting one with a rear port is not advisable. You stand to lose some of the ports output due to the physical constraints, which ultimately results in the driver contributing the vast majority of what you'll hear. Also, I think PA uses class A amps. If so, that's another potential issue; they run warmer than a digital amp would, so they need some room to 'breath' in order to dissipate heat.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is offline  
Old 01-01-2015, 05:44 PM
Member
 
Spritzup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post


If you're going to place a sub in an enclosed space getting one with a rear port is not advisable. You stand to lose some of the ports output due to the physical constraints, which ultimately results in the driver contributing the vast majority of what you'll hear. Also, I think PA uses class A amps. If so, that's another potential issue; they run warmer than a digital amp would, so they need some room to 'breath' in order to dissipate heat.
Enclosed space is a bit relative. It's "enclosed" in the sense that it will be positioned in a corner (couch arm on one side, wall behind and on other side). However nothing in front or above, so I don't foresee heat dissipation being an issue.

Having said that, I may also consider the Acoustech H100(2?)... though they appear to be very similar.

~Spritz
Spritzup is online now  
Old 01-02-2015, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
Kurtz9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritzup View Post
Thanks Jim. Unfortunately according to Dayton's spec sheet, the SUB-1200 is a bit too wide.

~Spritz


The Dayton 1200 is 16-3/16" wide. You said you have about 16 inches of width.

if this is just between wall and couch you seriously can't move the couch 3/16th of an inch over?
Kurtz9 is offline  
Old 01-02-2015, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
tezster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mississauga, Canada
Posts: 859
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Is there an existing (active) thread for small form-factor subs (as opposed to 'budget' subs)?
tezster is online now  
Old 01-02-2015, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 13,004
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
Is there an existing (active) thread for small form-factor subs (as opposed to 'budget' subs)?
Not that I'm aware of. You could start a new thread.
Bond 007 is offline  
Old 01-02-2015, 01:04 PM
Member
 
Spritzup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtz9 View Post
The Dayton 1200 is 16-3/16" wide. You said you have about 16 inches of width.

if this is just between wall and couch you seriously can't move the couch 3/16th of an inch over?
It's a corner sectional that's already as tight as it can get into its corner.

~Spritz
Spritzup is online now  
Old 01-02-2015, 04:50 PM
Senior Member
 
remedy1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Happy new year!

I recently setup an energy RC Micro 5.1 system in our family room. While the included sub is adequate, I wanted something with a bit more oomph. I have a HSU VTF-1 sub which I was planning to use in the HT, but I put it in the family room for the time being. Does it matter pairing this sub with the RC Micro sats or should I be looking at something else?

Someone locally from Craigslist has the BIC H100 for $100 or I found a Definitive Technology ProSub 200TL for $200. Would either of these be a better choice or is the VTF-1 just fine?
remedy1978 is offline  
Old 01-02-2015, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 4,909
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 483
IIRC the midranges in the RC Micro speakers are about 3". If so you'll need a subwoofer that can play cleanly (key word) up to at least 150Hz, which few budget subs are capable of. It might be better to save a few more $$ and get something that can accomplish what you need it to.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is offline  
Old 01-02-2015, 05:04 PM
Senior Member
 
remedy1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The HSU would not do this? What would you recommend?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Family Room Setup: RBH MC-6C Fronts, RBH MC-414C Center, RBH MC-6C Surrounds, RBH TS-10AP Subwoofer, Denon X3000
Basement Setup: Energy RC-30 Fronts, Energy RC-LCR Center, Energy RC-Mini Surrounds, HSU VTF-1 Subwoofer, Denon 2313ci
remedy1978 is offline  
Old 01-02-2015, 06:23 PM
Member
 
Spritzup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm actually considering the H100, but I don't think based on the specs (and my very limited knowledge) fill the hole you need it to fill.

~Spritz
Spritzup is online now  
Old 01-06-2015, 08:52 AM
Member
 
gotbuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know everyone loves reading the what sub should i get posts. Sorry to clog up the forum with yet another one. But I've been researching til I'm blue in the face and just can't decide/need help. Primary usage is TV/Movies and some video games. Very little music - that takes place on my 2-channel Monitor Audio BX2's upstairs (plug for MA - just got them and LOVE them).

Here are the details on my current set-up.

Room Size: 20' x 18' (not enclosed)

Speakers: L/R - KEF Q300
C - KEF Q200
SL/SR - Boston Accoustic HSi 460 (in-ceiling)

Sub: Polk PSW10

AVR: Denon X2000


Sub placement is in the front corner of the room next to a built in media center. My price point ranges anywhere from say $100 - $500. I don't necessarily want to go to 2 subwoofers either (WAF). Spending the extra money to go to the high end of my range doesn't bother me, but quite honestly the more I look, the murkier the return on investment looks in that price tier over say a good $200 sub.

I've been looking at the Dayton's, the BIC F12 / PL200, Klipsch 12", and others. So the questions I have are as follows:

1) What is the best sub for the room size to pair with those speakers?
2) If I up-spend to the $500 range am I really going to get a better sub given my usage?

Thanks in advance.
gotbuck is offline  
Old 01-06-2015, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
Kurtz9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotbuck View Post
I know everyone loves reading the what sub should i get posts. Sorry to clog up the forum with yet another one. But I've been researching til I'm blue in the face and just can't decide/need help. Primary usage is TV/Movies and some video games. Very little music - that takes place on my 2-channel Monitor Audio BX2's upstairs (plug for MA - just got them and LOVE them).

Here are the details on my current set-up.

Room Size: 20' x 18' (not enclosed)

Speakers: L/R - KEF Q300
C - KEF Q200
SL/SR - Boston Accoustic HSi 460 (in-ceiling)

Sub: Polk PSW10

AVR: Denon X2000


Sub placement is in the front corner of the room next to a built in media center. My price point ranges anywhere from say $100 - $500. I don't necessarily want to go to 2 subwoofers either (WAF). Spending the extra money to go to the high end of my range doesn't bother me, but quite honestly the more I look, the murkier the return on investment looks in that price tier over say a good $200 sub.

I've been looking at the Dayton's, the BIC F12 / PL200, Klipsch 12", and others. So the questions I have are as follows:

1) What is the best sub for the room size to pair with those speakers?
2) If I up-spend to the $500 range am I really going to get a better sub given my usage?

Thanks in advance.

You give room size as "20' x 18' (not enclosed)"

so 2 things there-

Ceiling height matters- your actual cubic volume could be 2520, 2880, 3240, or 3600 cu feet with 7, 8, 9, or 10 foot ceilings.

And the "not enclosed" is a pretty huge deal... if it's largely open to other areas then the cubic footage of those areas counts too as far as pressurizing the air.



As to expensive subs being "worth it", for your application I think the only "expensive" sub that MIGHT be worth it would be the SVS PB1000... it's the cheapest good sub I know that will actually go down into the 20Hz area and sound good...and it's $499.


the good news is, you get a 45 day risk free in home trial, and if you don't like it they pay for you to ship it back and give you a full refund.


Given your primary use for movies and some gaming I think it's worth you trying it out

(though personally for the size of the space I think it might be too little to have massive impact... I've got a PB2000, the next step up at $799, and it's amazing in an 1800 cubic foot closed spaced, but was barely noticeably better than a Dayton 1200 in a space 5 times that size - still for a no-risk trial it's worth a shot)



If you decide it's not doing it for you you can always send it back and just get a nice Dayton 1500 for $184 and call it a day...
Kurtz9 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off