Budget subwoofers discussions, opinions and questions thread - Page 105 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #3121 of 3131 Old 03-02-2015, 03:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 12,028
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Pratt View Post
I think I can get the Cadence under $300 shipped hence the appeal. NXG 500 is a bit less I think but I'm trying to confirm that with the dealer. Size wise the NXG fits better but the Cadence seems like a better sub.
I would do the Cadence

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3122 of 3131 Old 03-02-2015, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 4,888
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Pratt View Post
I think I can get the Cadence under $300 shipped hence the appeal. NXG 500 is a bit less I think but I'm trying to confirm that with the dealer. Size wise the NXG fits better but the Cadence seems like a better sub.
Better in what respect? Having heard both I would say output wise the Cadence gets the nod, but SQ the NXG has the advantage. Depends upon what is the most important attribute to you really.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is online now  
post #3123 of 3131 Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM
Member
 
10dbdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
Better in what respect? Having heard both I would say output wise the Cadence gets the nod, but SQ the NXG has the advantage. Depends upon what is the most important attribute to you really.
I think anyone that is considering the purchase of a Cadence sub should read the extensive review of the 15 inch sub done by Audioholics. The interior of the cab has a full wooden divider between the amp and driver which reduces the volume of the enclosure which makes the bass response more like a mid bass module than a sub.

10dbdown
10dbdown is offline  
post #3124 of 3131 Old Yesterday, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 4,888
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10dbdown View Post
I think anyone that is considering the purchase of a Cadence sub should read the extensive review of the 15 inch sub done by Audioholics. The interior of the cab has a full wooden divider between the amp and driver which reduces the volume of the enclosure which makes the bass response more like a mid bass module than a sub.

A cabinet divider, in and of itself, won't indicate that the sub is a "mid bass module". The TS parameters of the driver could very well have been designed to work effectively in the volume it was given, so there's really little to glean strictly from that. The Audioholics review indicates it may not have been an ideal pairing in this case - volume to driver - but the mere presence of a divider is not something that can be used to accurately make a determination. Indeed, a lot of companies use them to shield the amp from the backwave of the driver, which is a very wise move.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is online now  
post #3125 of 3131 Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 4,164
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
A cabinet divider, in and of itself, won't indicate that the sub is a "mid bass module". The TS parameters of the driver could very well have been designed to work effectively in the volume it was given, so there's really little to glean strictly from that. The Audioholics review indicates it may not have been an ideal pairing in this case - volume to driver - but the mere presence of a divider is not something that can be used to accurately make a determination. Indeed, a lot of companies use them to shield the amp from the backwave of the driver, which is a very wise move.
The sub also features a sizable cabinet compared to most 12" ported subs that it compares too, perhaps accounting for the divider. I think it's quite similar to the PA-150, fantastic 40Hz+ output at the expense of reduced extension.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Transmaniacon is online now  
post #3126 of 3131 Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM
Newbie
 
kommong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
onq goldline subwoofer

I am newbie for a sub woofer. Planning to get a used one from someone this model below for my home theater. Any advice would be appreciated.

On-Q / LeGrand - 364671-01 - Gold Line 12 200watt Subwoofer
Name: GOLD LINE 12 200WATT SUBWOOFER
Category: In-Wall
UPC Code: 804428013716
MFR SKU:364671-01
Minimum Frequency Response: 35 Hz
Maximum Frequency Response: 200 Hz
Crossover Frequency: 50 Hz to 200 Hz
Material: Fiberglass


Thanks
kommong is online now  
post #3127 of 3131 Old Yesterday, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 4,888
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by kommong View Post
I am newbie for a sub woofer. Planning to get a used one from someone this model below for my home theater. Any advice would be appreciated.

On-Q / LeGrand - 364671-01 - Gold Line 12 200watt Subwoofer
Name: GOLD LINE 12 200WATT SUBWOOFER
Category: In-Wall
UPC Code: 804428013716
MFR SKU:364671-01
Minimum Frequency Response: 35 Hz
Maximum Frequency Response: 200 Hz
Crossover Frequency: 50 Hz to 200 Hz
Material: Fiberglass
For someone new to the world of subwoofers I'm not certain your first foray should be an in-wall model. Unlike a free standing version you need to measure where it will perform the best before cutting any sheetrock. A self-contained unit can be moved around the room at will, so it's significantly easier to get adjusted and tuned without committing yourself to a placement.

I'm not familiar with that particular model but it might require you build an enclosure for inside the wall as well. If so, you'll need to be accomplished with modeling software too, otherwise you could end up building something that isn't ideal for the task at hand. Lastly, the lower frequency response of 35Hz means it won't suffice for any HT tasks. Seeing as how that's your goal I suspect you'll be disappointed no matter what you do with it.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is online now  
post #3128 of 3131 Old Yesterday, 08:48 PM
Newbie
 
kommong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
For someone new to the world of subwoofers I'm not certain your first foray should be an in-wall model. Unlike a free standing version you need to measure where it will perform the best before cutting any sheetrock. A self-contained unit can be moved around the room at will, so it's significantly easier to get adjusted and tuned without committing yourself to a placement.

I'm not familiar with that particular model but it might require you build an enclosure for inside the wall as well. If so, you'll need to be accomplished with modeling software too, otherwise you could end up building something that isn't ideal for the task at hand. Lastly, the lower frequency response of 35Hz means it won't suffice for any HT tasks. Seeing as how that's your goal I suspect you'll be disappointed no matter what you do with it.
Actually description I posted initially was wrong about it being in-wall. I wish I could post links but if you google for 'INSTRUCTION evoq 7000' you should find manual for the sub woofer. If I can get this for less than 75 bucks then is it worth ? Else I would buy Denon sub-1200 I have heard about.

Manual says something like "On-Q/Legrand offers an evōQ™ 7000 Home Theater 12” 200W
Sub-Woofer for those instances where extended base response is required. This speaker, On-Q part number 364671-01,is optimized for central audio distribution (central sound) and the home theater environment. It features a 12”Glass Fiber woofer and is typically placed on the floor.
Note: This On-Q/Legrand evōQ™ 7000 Home Theater 12” 200W Sub-Woofer is not a moisture resistant speaker. Sub-Woofer is a cube approximately 17” square. It is made of black vinyl covered MDF, and is a sealed unit designed to be placed where base response is best, supporting the non-directional nature of its base frequency output. It features connections for both line level input and speaker level input and output, a volume control, a crossover adjustment (30-200Hz) and a phase reversal switch. "
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	onwsubwoofer.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	582425  
kommong is online now  
post #3129 of 3131 Unread Today, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Alan P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Rapid City, South Dakota
Posts: 4,175
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked: 771
Well, according to the Amazon page, that sub (On-Q/Legrand evōQ™ 7000) only weighs 8 pounds....the Dayton SUB-1200 weighs 45 pounds. Based on that alone, I would go with the Dayton.

AVR: Denon 4520ci, FL/R: Klipschorn, CC: Klipsch RC-64ii, SUR: Polk LS/FX x4, FH: Klipsch RB-51ii x2, SUB: PSA T-18 x2, DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740, BluRay: PS3 & BDP-S5100, Remote: URC MX-700
--------------------------------------------------
Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
Alan P is online now  
post #3130 of 3131 Unread Today, 09:58 AM
Newbie
 
kommong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Well, according to the Amazon page, that sub (On-Q/Legrand evōQ™ 7000) only weighs 8 pounds....the Dayton SUB-1200 weighs 45 pounds. Based on that alone, I would go with the Dayton.
Actually shipping weight is 50 lbs. I see description being mixed with their same series in-wall speakers
kommong is online now  
post #3131 of 3131 Unread Today, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 4,888
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Frankly, I would pass on that subwoofer. The companies website has almost no audio products, making me believe it's purely a sideline for them. That's really not the type of product you want to purchase; something which appears to be an afterthought.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off