Budget subwoofers discussions, opinions and questions thread - Page 106 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 21Likes
post #3151 of 3180 Old 03-30-2015, 07:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
The HSU will almost certainly have better SQ than the BIC subs, so from that standpoint you're correct. Total output probably favors the H-100/PL-200 though, and given the fact your room is over 2200 ft^3 that could prove beneficial. The STF-2 may struggle when pushed in a room the size of yours.
His room is significantly bigger than mine. Even on max gain the stf2 could barely be heard. The LV12r is in the same place and destroys the stf2 in terms of output. Even the Klipsch RW12d was a big step up in output over the stf2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 3180 Old 03-31-2015, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninStang View Post
The usual which budget sub questions...

My place is an open concept where my HT is. The space is around 4500 cubic feet, and opens up to around 6000 cubic feet if other doors etc open. I know a budget sub isn't going to fill the room, I just want the best bang for the buck.

Budget is $300

But limited on size for WAF and placement issues.

The sub can only be around 20" Depth X 16" Wide X 21" Tall.

I plan on building an isolation platform that will be around 2-4" tall to bring the sub up to about 24" (2 ft) so it can be used as an end table as well. Nothing permit will be placed on top though. The floors are hardwood.

The sub will be placed in a corner next to the couch. So sitting position will be close to the sub, either right next to it or max like 4-5 feet away.

If rear firing port it will be against the back of a wall with about 3-4" to spare. If the port is down firing could go a little closer to wall.

If a front firing sub the driver will be pointed towards the TV. I know the sound is Omni-directional but would a down firing help at all or would it matter?

Will be approx 75% Gaming/Movies & 25% Music.

Top Choices:

- BIC PL-200 seems solid , recommended a lot, great warranty.

- NXG NX-BAS-500 , great performance, but the Auto On/Off problem seems annoying, and it seems like a decent amount of people have had problems with Amps or Drivers on them going bad. Also as mention in Jim's review it seems to vibrate a lot, would the sub isolation platform eliminate this?

Second Choices:

- Klipsch SUB-12HG , on sale right now on Amazon, down firing, but seems to have bad amp issues.

- Premier Acoustic PA-120, seems to get good reviews, but looks like the PL-200 or NX-BAS-500 outperform it.

- Dayton SUB-1200, getting a little wide, but cheap for performance.

I also looked at the HSU STF-2 , but it seems like the 10" Driver would even have a harder time filling the room, and would just be a waste either way.
My hope was to find a used Outlaw LFM-1 Plus since size is perfect but have had no luck , plus issues if something happens when buying used.

That's about it lol, thanks for the help!
I second the Hsu STF-2. Driver size doesn't impact how hard a sub must work to pressurize a room. All of your choices will have the same problem, which is the open floor plan. None of them will give you that visceral, kick-in-the-chest feeling that a better sub can in your space. Can you offer some more details of how and where the listening area opens to the other spaces? Especially with regard to where your theater is located? Also, lastly, do you have any flexibility as to where you can place your sub? An end table, while allowing your sub to pull double duty in your theater, may not provide you with the best - or even good - sound in that spot.

COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!

Last edited by [Irishman]; 03-31-2015 at 06:49 AM.
post #3153 of 3180 Old 03-31-2015, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 35
+1 with Jim on the need for total output. Your Paradigms will handle the "quality" aspect. Cross them over at 80 hz and use the sub to fill in the low end...
My $.02: If you want LFE "vibrations" for movies and games, then adding bass shakers for the seating is the cost effective way to go. We have Buttkickers in the couch and they add the "feel" of a big money sub without the expense or the structuctural impact (not to mention the good neighbor factor). We had a twin SVS Ultra for awhile. Great sub , huge box, big money. It was fun, but with neighbor complaints and worries about the windows...We sold it, got a couple of smaller, less imposing subs and added the bass shakers. The best of both worlds, INMO.
post #3154 of 3180 Old 03-31-2015, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] View Post
Driver size doesn't impact how hard a sub must work to pressurize a room.
Transmaniacon likes this.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #3155 of 3180 Old 03-31-2015, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Jim - Yes, that makes a lot of sense, as to why the PL-200 could have been a better fit. Good insight.

For me, I think it will be a good tradeoff. With my old system, I rarely pushed it hard on HT (due to sleeping young kids upstairs & a wife that got anxious about waking them). And that system had small satellites and relied more heavily on a weaker sub. Simply put, I think I would be bothered more by poor SQ more than lack of output, so I think it is a good concession.

I guess if I am really wanting more after watching a few films, I could send it back.....Or more likely, be one of the many future "upgraders" on this forum. But truthfully, I think it will be more than adequate for me.
post #3156 of 3180 Old 03-31-2015, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake12345 View Post
Jim - Yes, that makes a lot of sense, as to why the PL-200 could have been a better fit. Good insight.

For me, I think it will be a good tradeoff. With my old system, I rarely pushed it hard on HT (due to sleeping young kids upstairs & a wife that got anxious about waking them). And that system had small satellites and relied more heavily on a weaker sub. Simply put, I think I would be bothered more by poor SQ more than lack of output, so I think it is a good concession.

I guess if I am really wanting more after watching a few films, I could send it back.....Or more likely, be one of the many future "upgraders" on this forum. But truthfully, I think it will be more than adequate for me.
I hope it works out for you. Might get best results by sitting next to it.
Not sure if you're aware but you have to pay return shipping on the stf2. It cost me $75.
post #3157 of 3180 Old 03-31-2015, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake12345 View Post
Or more likely, be one of the many future "upgraders" on this forum.

I think that's essentially every one of us...

post #3158 of 3180 Old 04-02-2015, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 20
So what's the consensus on the Polk PSW505? I'm not a huge Polk fan but for $179 today only this seems like a pretty good deal. I got a buddy putting his theater together now and think one or two of these might work well for him.
post #3159 of 3180 Old 04-02-2015, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I haven't heard that one myself - so I can't comment from direct experience - but from the posts I've read it sounds like it's decent for HT but less impressive with music. An argument could probably be made that it's not too dissimilar from the SUB-1200. If so, that's about $50 cheaper so it might be worth considering as well.

post #3160 of 3180 Old 04-06-2015, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
Good choice.
Very late reply here. Just wanted to say thanks again for the recommendation. The Dayton sub was an excellent choice for my living room. The amount of bass is incredible! My wife hates me when we watch horror movies and the sub scares the crap out of her. Music and movies have all been improved by adding this sub to my sound system.
post #3161 of 3180 Old 04-06-2015, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Glad to hear it worked out for you. It's quite a lot of sub for very few dollars.

post #3162 of 3180 Old 04-15-2015, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
$700 Sub System Better Than Sony Shake-33?

I could use some advice putting together a simple sound system for playing music, mostly bass-heavy electronic, in a medium size living room.

Budget: $700. Ideally I'd like a good sub-woofer, speakers with good clarity and power, and an receiver with bluetooth and/or USB input.

The pre-assembled option to beat is the Sony Shake-33. I'm a big Klipsch fan, but they're obv expensive and cannot be used for all components, hopefully one or two.

Ideas?
post #3163 of 3180 Old 04-15-2015, 07:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbody27 View Post
I could use some advice putting together a simple sound system for playing music, mostly bass-heavy electronic, in a medium size living room.

Budget: $700. Ideally I'd like a good sub-woofer, speakers with good clarity and power, and an receiver with bluetooth and/or USB input.

The pre-assembled option to beat is the Sony Shake-33. I'm a big Klipsch fan, but they're obv expensive and cannot be used for all components, hopefully one or two.

Ideas?
Start a new thread in the speaker forum. You will get all kinds of help there.
post #3164 of 3180 Old 05-06-2015, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Looking for some initial recommendations on where to go as far as sub selection. I am putting together a game/movie room in a spare bedroom that's a little small . Probably will go with a

5.1 system with in walls for fronts and in ceiling for surrounds since I don't have a lot of space. I have approximately 1100 cubic feet and want to get an idea of how much money would

be needed and which sub to get to move up in sound quality and impact from my current setup with a PSW100 that came as part of package a long time ago.

Main use would be for console games, bluray movies, and shows streamed from netflix and amazon. I would love some impact in my bass and I don't get much with the Polk.

I prefer to stay around 200-300 bucks.

Thanks in advance!
post #3165 of 3180 Old 05-06-2015, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The oft mentioned NXG NX-BAS-500 sounds as though it would be a good candidate, along with the BIC F12 (another favorite).

post #3166 of 3180 Old 05-06-2015, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
The oft mentioned NXG NX-BAS-500 sounds as though it would be a good candidate, along with the BIC F12 (another favorite).
Jim, how come you never tested/reviewed the Klipsch sub-12?

Game Room> LG 60" Plasma, Onkyo HT-RC560, Infinity P363 fronts, P163 center, P163's rears, JBL Loft40 FH, PSA XS30 and RA S-15 subs. PS4 and XBox One.
Living Room> Samsung 59" Plasma, Onkyo TX-NR509, JBL Studio 180 fronts, Studio 120c center, Polk RC60i in-wall rears, SVS PB12-NSD sub. PS3 and XBox 360.
PC set up> Yamaha RX-V377, Infinity P163's, Klipsch sub-12.
Master BR> Samsung 42" LED, Yamaha RX-V375, Denon 5 speaker, Jamo sub360.
post #3167 of 3180 Old 05-06-2015, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucuy View Post
Looking for some initial recommendations on where to go as far as sub selection. I am putting together a game/movie room in a spare bedroom that's a little small . Probably will go with a

5.1 system with in walls for fronts and in ceiling for surrounds since I don't have a lot of space. I have approximately 1100 cubic feet and want to get an idea of how much money would

be needed and which sub to get to move up in sound quality and impact from my current setup with a PSW100 that came as part of package a long time ago.

Main use would be for console games, bluray movies, and shows streamed from netflix and amazon. I would love some impact in my bass and I don't get much with the Polk.

I prefer to stay around 200-300 bucks.

Thanks in advance!
The Dayton SUB1500 for $198 is a strong contender in this price range.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...oofer--300-634
post #3168 of 3180 Old 05-06-2015, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
Jim, how come you never tested/reviewed the Klipsch sub-12?
I've actually made several inquires, to both the company themselves and their PR firm, but no one has ever replied. I don't mind if someone says "thanks, but no thanks", but I consider it unprofessional to simply ignore me altogether.

Sadly, they aren't alone. I could tell you stories like that about quite a few companies I'm afraid, along with many more were I got lead around by some knucklehead for months on end only to have the arrangements fall through or the communications simply stop for no reason. Apparently my time means nothing to some folks. Bet you would recognize a bunch of the company names too.

post #3169 of 3180 Old 05-07-2015, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Jim, I noticed you have a review of the NXG up at HomeTheaterShack, but no such review for the BIC F12. Could you elaborate on how they stack up to one another?
post #3170 of 3180 Old 05-07-2015, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drm870 View Post
Jim, I noticed you have a review of the NXG up at HomeTheaterShack, but no such review for the BIC F12. Could you elaborate on how they stack up to one another?
Given the fact that I haven't heard the F12 I can't really comment on it from personal experience. I did review it's 'older brother' though, the H100, but I suspect it's targeted at a different audience. But perhaps you can cull something of value from that review.

For sure, BIC is overdue for some new products. If something comes along I'll definitely reach out to my contact and see about securing an eval unit. They've proven to be quite accommodating in the past, so I don't suspect it would be difficult to arrange should that come about.

post #3171 of 3180 Old 05-07-2015, 04:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drm870 View Post
I've heard both.
My overall impressions are that the NXG is a better sub overall. Better output, extension and accuracy. Seems to be a bit of a problem with quality though whereas the Bic is built like a tank.
post #3172 of 3180 Old 05-07-2015, 04:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Given the fact that I haven't heard the F12 I can't really comment on it from personal experience. I did review it's 'older brother' though, the H100, but I suspect it's targeted at a different audience. But perhaps you can cull something of value from that review.

For sure, BIC is overdue for some new products. If something comes along I'll definitely reach out to my contact and see about securing an eval unit. They've proven to be quite accommodating in the past, so I don't suspect it would be difficult to arrange should that come about.
Bic recently came out with an update to their speakers (at least their towers) so you'd think a new sub would be soon. But who knows.
If they do I hope you can get your hands on it.
post #3173 of 3180 Old 05-07-2015, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Bic recently came out with an update to their speakers (at least their towers) so you'd think a new sub would be soon. But who knows.
If they do I hope you can get your hands on it.

Which model was updated? Just curious because their website shows pretty much the same thing I've seen for years. That's actually why I think they're (over)due for an update; ID companies can't sit still that long and expect to survive.

post #3174 of 3180 Old 05-07-2015, 08:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Which model was updated? Just curious because their website shows pretty much the same thing I've seen for years. That's actually why I think they're (over)due for an update; ID companies can't sit still that long and expect to survive.
Don't know why they're not showing on the website but these recently replaced the PL-89ii.

http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/core/view_BigProduct.cfm?pid=6331&sc=32
post #3175 of 3180 Old 05-08-2015, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
They added the new Acoustech Platinum PL-980 towers, but that is the only new model so far. Maybe they are gauging interest before releasing the rest of the speakers, I hope they do however and include a refreshed PL-280 as well.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #3176 of 3180 Old 05-08-2015, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Don't know why they're not showing on the website but these recently replaced the PL-89ii.
Yea, those are new. Nice catch.

post #3177 of 3180 Old Yesterday, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thank you for the recommendations and helping me narrow it down to a few choices. I am leaning towards the BIC F12 mainly because of warranty and it's carried by Amazon. Do these things fail much?

Last edited by Cucuy; Yesterday at 07:04 PM.
post #3178 of 3180 Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucuy View Post
Thank you for the recommendations and helping me narrow it down to a few choices. I am leaning towards the BIC F12 mainly because of warranty and it's carried by Amazon. Do these things fail much?
Not from what I've heard. Read the Amazon reviews. There's also a Bic F12 thread here at AVS.
post #3179 of 3180 Old Today, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 619
The F-12 is pretty solid and has been one of the best selling budget subs ever. I've got one and for home theater it offers some good boom in a small to medium sized room. It isn't the greatest for music, but just about everything in this price range is going to fall short there.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #3180 of 3180 Unread Today, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 35
For $50 more. I would check out the H-100

http://www.amazon.com/Acoustech-H-10...&keywords=H100

Jim reviewed it very well. http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...er-review.html

Amazon reviews are 5 stars across the board.

Full Disclosure: We have one and it is amazing for the $...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers