Budget subwoofers discussions, opinions and questions thread - Page 120 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 117Likes

post #3571 of 3580 Old 06-24-2017, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 994 Post(s)
Liked: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
Dont use higher volumes.
... and place the sub near field. If you are not on the first floor, or your underflooring is not concrete, consider a Subdude or similar to mechanically de-couple the sub from the floor.

Last edited by RayGuy; 06-24-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3572 of 3580 Old 06-24-2017, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Lol, I guess we could argue all day about what volume levels and frequencies bother people. 20-30hz loud enough to shakes objects would piss me off, similarly to 60hz "beats" loud enough to hear, so I guess the key element here is volume, and ensuring that 25hz is nearly as present as 50hz, as 100hz, and so on. I am on the basement level, so I have slightly more freedom.

In any case I ended up with a Sinclair Brighton 310S, at 1/3 the msrp after taxes, I couldn't pass it up. Hopefully someone can refresh my memory on how passive radiators work, how would I go about "tuning" them lower. Would locking one of them off lower the fs or bring it up?
post #3573 of 3580 Old 06-24-2017, 04:39 PM

Nevermind, if I remember correctly more surface area combined with greater weight equals a lower tuning frequency for pr's, at the expense of output. So I guess the easiest way to get what I want from it is to add some extra weight to the pr cones. I suppose applying a subsonic filter in software would also be useful, particularly with the inherent notch the pr's create.

post #3574 of 3580 Old 06-24-2017, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1567 Post(s)
Liked: 2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVMB View Post
So I guess the easiest way to get what I want from it is to add some extra weight to the pr cones.
Or get a big enough subwoofer that it comes inherently able to do what you want it to.

Messing around like that with a manufactured sub is likely to put it outside the tolerances it was engineered with. If so, you could alter the SQ - or shorten the life of those PR's - so it's probably not a good idea to make those alterations.
RayGuy likes this.

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #3575 of 3580 Old 06-24-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
Or get a big enough subwoofer that it comes inherently able to do what you want it to.

Messing around like that with a manufactured sub is likely to put it outside the tolerances it was engineered with. If so, you could alter the SQ - or shorten the life of those PR's - so it's probably not a good idea to make those alterations.
The idea is to alter the where the passive radiators kick in in, ideally tuning them lower. Power output is fine, but it's definitely stronger in the 30-40hz range than it is in the 25-30hz range. My goal is to balance it, I thought we had come to an understanding on the "hearing" vs "feeling" aspect in a small room?
If you are into sub design, you are aware that passive radiators are tuned via the addition of weight to the pr cone. A subsonic filter is useful as well, to avoid overexcursion below the notch point.
post #3576 of 3580 Old 06-24-2017, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

My comments have nothing to do with hearing versus feeling, it has to do with adding additional weight to the PR's that the manufacturer didn't account for. Are you sure the suspension is going to tolerate it OK? You can do whatever you'd like, I was just pointing out the fact altering the design of a product like that might end in tears.

post #3577 of 3580 Old 06-25-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
My comments have nothing to do with hearing versus feeling, it has to do with adding additional weight to the PR's that the manufacturer didn't account for. Are you sure the suspension is going to tolerate it OK? You can do whatever you'd like, I was just pointing out the fact altering the design of a product like that might end in tears.
It'll hardly "end in tears", it's not my "time of month" (Jk I'm a dude). Passive radiators are designed to take weight, but it's hard to say what the weight capacity is. These particular passives use bulky, stiff surrounds/suspensions, so I imagine they can take quite a bit of weight. Is there a safer way to alter tuning?
post #3578 of 3580 Old 06-26-2017, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVMB View Post
It'll hardly "end in tears", it's not my "time of month" (Jk I'm a dude). Passive radiators are designed to take weight, but it's hard to say what the weight capacity is. These particular passives use bulky, stiff surrounds/suspensions, so I imagine they can take quite a bit of weight. Is there a safer way to alter tuning?
A pickup truck is designed to take weight as well, but it has a limit due to how it was engineered. So do passive radiators. If the manufacturer wanted/could tune it lower they would have, so you're considering something that will be outside the of the design parameters. Maybe it's fine maybe it's not, I just wanted to let you know that type of after-the-fact modification is not advisable.

post #3579 of 3580 Old 10-08-2017, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi JimWilson, I noticed that you have reviewed many subs, and I was wondering, as I haven't perused everything here, if you or anyone else has seen if the subs offered by OnlyFactoryDirect, aka the Acoustic Audio or Theater Solutions, were OEM manufactured by Dayton Audio? I noticed, at least, that the amplifier backplates are flipping identical, and even the styling of their slim subs, while one is an 8 and the other a 10, is almost identical as well. And even now I just saw a Goldwood driver for sale in the Restocked / Openbox products at Parts Express. And since the Theater Solutions line has that "by Goldwood" tag... Just wondering if maybe Goldwood is a reseller, or a speaker manufacturer who pays parts express to assemble and provide OEM parts for them... or what it might be. It all seems kinda close though. Just thought it was weird. I know the plate amps have slightly different print in places, all caps vs not all caps at times, etc. But just thought it was interesting how the layout of the components and most of the controls were identical.
post #3580 of 3580 Old 10-08-2017, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightandshade View Post
Hi JimWilson, I noticed that you have reviewed many subs, and I was wondering, as I haven't perused everything here, if you or anyone else has seen if the subs offered by OnlyFactoryDirect, aka the Acoustic Audio or Theater Solutions, were OEM manufactured by Dayton Audio?
Steer clear of AA and Theater Solutions as both are not worth whatever you would spend on them.

AA makes generic and completely unimpressive subwoofers, but they were a good value play at one point. A few years ago they had a batch of bad amps and they took to the hills, leaving a lot of customers with defective product and no way of being made whole. In my book, once a company does something like that they are no longer a consideration.

In the case of Theater Solutions, the subwoofers they make are all but lifeless. One of the first units I reviewed was their Sub12D, and it was so bad that to this day - after publishing more than 50 evals - it has the distinction of being the only one that I aborted and didn't finish. It simply wasn't worth the time and effort.

FWIW 1... neither AA or TS design or build their own subwoofers, they farm that out to a contract vendor. At one point both companies used the exact same OEM and subwoofer, with just the badge being different. Not sure if that's still true today though.

FWIW 2... Only Factory Direct is a great company to work with. I found their customer service to be quite good. I actually purchased something from them about a year after I did the TS review. It's a shame they don't have decent audio products to sell as I would certainly use them again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page