Budget subwoofers discussions, opinions and questions thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #361 of 2962 Old 11-23-2012, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Wow! Rw12d out of stock! Glad I got mine when I did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2962 Old 11-23-2012, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Kamp View Post

Bond 007
The Bic sub has a different tuning point that looks to be around 33-34hz. At tuning the port is supplying the output and is out of phase with the driver. Using two ported subs with two different tuning points can cause some cancellation issues such as shady pointed out at the tunings. The HSU will be tuned lower and should have a flatter frequency response and lower extension resulting in better sound quality with proper placement and setup. Also HSU has great support so give them a call and see what they think.
The proper way to compare would be to gain match the subs so they output the same amount. And then swap them back and forth to the same placement for comparison. The sub crawl would be a good idea to find best placement.
At the end of the day you are going from a higher tuned 12" to a lower tuned 10". If its an spl contest, I wouldn't be surprised if the BIC has more above ~40hz. If you are wanting to run dual subs and don't have any way to measure besides by ear, I would recommend same subs and could add a second f12 if don't care about extension. Could always send the HSU back, sell the BIC and get dual Klipsch rw12d when ~ $300 to get to 20hz.
This link here has some info on the f12 and the Klipsch.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1391243/bic-v1220-and-bic-f12-omnimic-frequency-response-graphs

^^^ ditto. Sell the Bic and return the HSU and get dual rw12ds. they sound pretty decent and extend way lower than the Bic. The BIC will cause issues below its tune port and cancel out a lot of the lower extension of the HSU.

post #363 of 2962 Old 11-24-2012, 01:52 AM

Liked: 10
Hey guys I have the Emotiva mini xa 100 amp paired with some nht superzero 2.0. Now I am looking for a subwoofer to finish off my 2.1. Some of teh sub I have been looking are the Dayton sub 800, MartinLogan Dynamo 300, and the nht super 8. I leanign towards the Dayton just because its the cheapest, but I like the look of the Martin Logan. And the nht is jus tto match my speakers.

Whihc one would you guys prefer? I would like to purchase the sub after this weekend.
post #364 of 2962 Old 11-24-2012, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincedea View Post

Hey guys I have the Emotiva mini xa 100 amp paired with some nht superzero 2.0. Now I am looking for a subwoofer to finish off my 2.1. Some of teh sub I have been looking are the Dayton sub 800, MartinLogan Dynamo 300, and the nht super 8. I leanign towards the Dayton just because its the cheapest, but I like the look of the Martin Logan. And the nht is jus tto match my speakers.
Whihc one would you guys prefer? I would like to purchase the sub after this weekend.

If it's for music I'd probably stay away from the Dayton. That's designed to be as inexpensive as possible, so it stands to reason it won't be all that great with music.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #365 of 2962 Old 11-24-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

If it's for music I'd probably stay away from the Dayton. That's designed to be as inexpensive as possible, so it stands to reason it won't be all that great with music.

Thanks for the reply Jim. I will actually be using it for music, games, and movies. Would you recommend the Martin Logan Dynamo instead then? Or would you recommend another subwoofer to pair with the SZ 2.0 speakers.
post #366 of 2962 Old 11-24-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the reply Jim. I will actually be using it for music, games, and movies. Would you recommend the Martin Logan Dynamo instead then? Or would you recommend another subwoofer to pair with the SZ 2.0 speakers.
post #367 of 2962 Old 11-24-2012, 12:45 PM

Hello everone,

I am looking for subwoofer with a budget around 500 dollars
This my current equipment:
Amplifier: Akai AM2600
Speakers: JMlab DB 19 info
Nothing great and quite old tongue.gif, but it's still ok for me smile.gif
Use this mostly for movies and games, thats why I would like to add a sub
All of this stands in my attic, a not too small room with a quite low roof
Most of the subwoofers mentioned in the "List of budget subwoofers ($300 and less)" thread are not an opion for because alot of them don't send out of america and amazon.com has quite large shipping costs
Subwoofers that I got in mind
XLS200 from BK
or the
Klipsch Rw-12D wich is 520 dollars at cheapest here

Any suggestions are welcome

Thank you
post #368 of 2962 Old 11-24-2012, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Would you recommend the Martin Logan Dynamo instead then? Or would you recommend another subwoofer to pair with the SZ 2.0 speakers.

The Dynamo 300, which can be had for $129, is pretty much a slam dunk; I honestly don't think you can beat what you get for what you'll pay.

The NHT Super 8 is $350, so I'll assume that's your budget. Based upon that a few others which might be worth looking into are:

post #369 of 2962 Old 11-24-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hi All,

Dynamo 300 for $129?!!! Wow, what a price! May I ask, are there any great deals on the Dynamo 700W?

Many Thanks,

Bazzy!
post #370 of 2962 Old 11-24-2012, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzy View Post

Dynamo 300 for $129?!!! Wow, what a price! May I ask, are there any great deals on the Dynamo 700W?

I've only see sale prices on the 300, but never any of the others for some reason. I found that sale on Amazon a while ago, and it seems to be selling for that price almost daily.

post #371 of 2962 Old 11-24-2012, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archers View Post

Most of the subwoofers mentioned in the "List of budget subwoofers ($300 and less)" thread are not an opion for because alot of them don't send out of america and amazon.com has quite large shipping costs

Where are located? That might help determine what options are available to you.

post #372 of 2962 Old 11-24-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:

The Dynamo 300, which can be had for $129, is pretty much a slam dunk; I honestly don't think you can beat what you get for what you'll pay.
The NHT Super 8 is $350, so I'll assume that's your budget. Based upon that a few others which might be worth looking into are:

The only problem I see with the dynamo is it doesnt have high level speaker outputs or inputs as the amp that I have (emotiva mini xa100) does not have a Line in for the subwoofer. What it does have are the RCA outputs for sub but they are fixed value, and I was told that I wouldnt be able to control the volume of the sub with the amp.

So if I were to just go ahead and used the RCA outputs for the sub, what would be the cons? and what if I got a sub that has high level speaker outputs, would there be any difference in teh sound quality?
post #373 of 2962 Old 11-24-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:

I really do like the Dynamo A LOT, but im not sure if I should go with that sub since my amp (emotiva mini xa100) does not have a sub line in. What does have are RCA outputs but they are fixed and I wouldnt be able to control the volume of the sub with the amp. Would it be a better idea for me to use the RCA outputs and try to set the sub volume at a decent level to where it doesnt overpower my SZ? or would it be better for me to use a sub that has high level speaker input and outputs so that I can control the volume?

Also would there be any difference in sound quality with using the speaker high level inputs/outputs vs using the RCA outputs?
post #374 of 2962 Old 11-24-2012, 03:10 PM

btw apologize for double posts i didnt know my first message would be held by a moderator.
post #375 of 2962 Old 11-24-2012, 03:57 PM

In Belgium(Europe), ordering from most UK site's will work to.
post #376 of 2962 Old 11-24-2012, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also would there be any difference in sound quality with using the speaker high level inputs/outputs vs using the RCA outputs?

The sound "quality" will be the same, regardless of the input, so that's not really an issue. Connection options, unfortunately, are a bit of a problem. If you only have high-level outputs on your amp then you probably will need a sub with the appropriate inputs. I'm not sure if any of the others I suggested have them. Did you check those yet? Maybe one of them will work for you.

post #377 of 2962 Old 11-24-2012, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have you looked into XTZ? They might be available to you.

post #378 of 2962 Old 11-24-2012, 05:34 PM

I did now thanks smile.gif
The only sub in my price range there would be this one: XTZ 99 W10.16 At exactly the same price as the XLS200
Wich one would be better do you think ? I know the XLS200 can go as low as 17Hz at -6db (not sure what the -6db means) and 25Hz at - 3 dB on the XTZ
post #379 of 2962 Old 11-24-2012, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The only sub in my price range there would be this one: XTZ 99 W10.16 At exactly the same price as the XLS200. Wich one would be better do you think ?

The XTZ, probably by a lot too. BK Electronics is a horrible company, if my experience with them is any indication. If a company has lousy customer service I personally stay away from them.

I actually did a review of the XTZ W10.16 that you can read here. It was a quality piece with a lot of configuration options that enable you to custom tailor it to your particular room and preferences.

Quote:

I know the XLS200 can go as low as 17Hz at -6db (not sure what the -6db means) and 25Hz at - 3 dB on the XTZ

The XLS200 won't get anywhere near 17Hz with anything resembling usable output. BK electronics always overstates what their subwoofers can do, same as MJ Acoustics which is another English subwoofer company (must be something in the water they drink that makes them exaggerate specifications so blatantly). MJ actually claims their PRO 55 -- which has a 12" driver and a measly 150 watt amp -- can go down to 10Hz. Laughter

post #380 of 2962 Old 11-24-2012, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:

SVS has some distributors around you but I am not sure about Belgium. Might be worth a try.

http://www.svsound.com/international-sales

They have some new models pb-1000 and sb-1000 around your budget available soon.

http://www.lsound.eu/svs/svs-pb1000-black.html
post #381 of 2962 Old 11-25-2012, 01:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Just an update.... I asked about a cheap sub a couple of weeks ago, at $150 my choices are limited. I got the Dayton Audio 1200, I must say that it is not bad at all, even for music after it is broken in.

So I got the bug for second one and at the $97.80 sale price I got another one but forgot to use the coupon code mad.gif and i used paypal so i cant cancel and reorder. I am hoping it makes a difference. In my big room i had to put the first one in a cubby hole in a corner for output, surprisingly it measures pretty flat but only goes down to 32Hz. if i put it 1/3rd out next to an open wall the output was not as loud, it was down like 6db and didnt have the impact as with the cubby hole placement. i am going to try to put the second one in the corner diagonal from the first one in the back of the room, the first one is in the corner in the front of the room.

I also bought rubber feet to replace the plastic feet as I have hardwood floors and the sub was just crawling around like crazy. it made a big difference in the sound with the rubber feet, and the feet are only 80 cents a piece.

i didnt plan on buying 2 subs, and the way i think 2 DAYTON 1200's will be better than 1 sub of the same price as the 2 Daytons?

so in closing the dayton sub is not really that bad too my ears, and ive had a $1500 and and $700 paradigms in the past.

My systems consist of: (not that you care) smile.gif

Sharp 60" Le632U

panny blu ray

Denon 391

Jamo s 460 5 piece Home Theater speakers

and the dayton audio 1200 sub soon to be 2 of them
post #382 of 2962 Old 11-25-2012, 03:21 AM

Oh ok, I have only read positive things about BK so far thats why I was really considering them.
I think I will go for the XTZ thanks to your review smile.gif (will 2 x XTZ 99 W8.16 produce a better sound or am I good with one XTZ W10.16 ?)
Just one more question:
I know I can connect the subwoofer to my amp through high level connection but should I just plug it together with other speaker cables or connect at the B speaker outputs ?
Quote:
SVS has some distributors around you but I am not sure about Belgium. Might be worth a try.

http://www.svsound.com/international-sales

They have some new models pb-1000 and sb-1000 around your budget available soon.

http://www.lsound.eu/svs/svs-pb1000-black.html
The SVS site does directly send to Belgium, but the cheapest subwoofer SVS PB 1000 is a bit over my budget with 720 euros
Thanks anyway biggrin.gif
post #383 of 2962 Old 11-25-2012, 12:37 PM

Hey guys, I found this sub on sale

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780012&Tpk=klipsch%20sub10

any ideas how good it is. Alot of the reviews say it is not very good and the amp will short within a few years, not sure if i want to take the chance with that.
post #384 of 2962 Old 11-25-2012, 08:15 PM

I was wondering could I purchase this subwoofer and hook it up straight to my sound card and to be able to control the volume of the sub using the windows volume control system? The current soundcard I use right is an creative xfi xtremem gamer sound card and I was thinking of upgrading my card to an xonar that would allow to hook up a sub straight to the card.

My current setup I have SZ 2.0 hooked up to an emotiva mini xa 100, which is hooked up to my sound card. I havent been able to find a sub I really like design wise that have speaker level inputs and outputs.

So any ideas if this is possible to hook up the martin logan dynamo 300 sub straight to sound card and use windows to control the volume?
post #385 of 2962 Old 11-26-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:

I was wondering could I purchase this subwoofer and hook it up straight to my sound card and to be able to control the volume of the sub using the windows volume control system? The current soundcard I use right is an creative xfi xtremem gamer sound card and I was thinking of upgrading my card to an xonar that would allow to hook up a sub straight to the card.
My current setup I have SZ 2.0 hooked up to an emotiva mini xa 100, which is hooked up to my sound card. I havent been able to find a sub I really like design wise that have speaker level inputs and outputs.
So any ideas if this is possible to hook up the martin logan dynamo 300 sub straight to sound card and use windows to control the volume?

anyone know if this would work?
post #386 of 2962 Old 11-27-2012, 04:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Quote:

anyone know if this would work?
No clue.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #387 of 2962 Old 11-27-2012, 09:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Got a Klipsch RW-12d to replace my Hsu stf-2 on Monday. Much happier with the Klipsch. Put it in the same spot and get twice the volume at a slightly lower setting. It even seems to play well with the Bic F12. I may keep them both. Its gonna cost $70 to ship the stf2 back. That's $113 in shipping just to find out it wasnt what I wanted. Who knows what my refund may be. I hope FedEx doesnt beat it up as badly on the way back as they did coming here. The box isnt in the best shape. Buyer beware!

post #388 of 2962 Old 11-27-2012, 10:05 PM

Psw505 on sale now.
post #389 of 2962 Old 11-27-2012, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Got a Klipsch RW-12d to replace my Hsu stf-2 on Monday. Much happier with the Klipsch. Put it in the same spot and get twice the volume at a slightly lower setting. It even seems to play well with the Bic F12. I may keep them both. Its gonna cost $70 to ship the stf2 back. That's $113 in shipping just to find out it wasnt what I wanted. Who knows what my refund may be. I hope FedEx doesnt beat it up as badly on the way back as they did coming here. The box isnt in the best shape. Buyer beware!

just sell the f12 and get another 12d, you know you want to, lol. im pretty sure they are tuned to different frequencies, so there could be some cancelation going on by having them both going
post #390 of 2962 Old 11-28-2012, 02:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrotel View Post

just sell the f12 and get another 12d, you know you want to, lol. im pretty sure they are tuned to different frequencies, so there could be some cancelation going on by having them both going
I'm sure you are right. I have the F12 in a corner on the opposite side of the room with the cone facing the corner and turned down significantly. I am sitting next to the RW with the cone facing me. I figured the F12 would help some in just filling the room a little more evenly. I cant really tell its on where I sit. Bad idea? If someone comes along and wants to buy it I will sell. I dont need 2. I was happy for a while with the F12 so you can imagine how pleased I am with the RW but since the F12 is just taking up space I figured I would try to get some use out of it.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page