Budget subwoofers discussions, opinions and questions thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #181 of 2924 Old 07-30-2012, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop99 View Post

For receiver I've chosen the Denon 2312, I do have yet to buy it though(going to buy it all at once). Now for speakers I will probably buy new ones, but I found some old sound dynamics speakers at my parent's house(2x RTS-1, 1x RTS-C1, and 2x RTS-7). I have no idea if those are any good , and I'm fully open to buying new ones eventually but at the moment i don't have a huge budget. So if you have a suggestion for speakers (for the future) and sub, or if these speakers are worth keeping that would all be extremely helpful.
Thanks for the help!

I will make a suggestion for speakers: the previous (still currently available at blow-out prices) Pioneer (Andrew Jones model) speakers. Undoubtedly these are one of the best entry level speaker systems out there. They are routinely discounted on Newegg with the entire 5.1 system generally costing less than $300. Here's the thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1278774/pioneers-speaker-genius-hits-low-price-point/2760

The Pioneer (SW-8) subwoofer is not the greatest but it is certainly adequate for this price point. It's very musical, and it blends nicely with the other speakers. Probably the next step up for a sub would be the Energy / Mirage 10.3 which has a loyal fan base on this and other forums.

So, good luck, have fun and enjoy this exciting process! smile.gif

PS Pioneer just released the second generation Andrew Jones model speakers and that suggests to me that the first generation prices will continue downward. cool.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2924 Old 07-30-2012, 01:29 PM

Not sure if im in the right thread, but it does say questions thread. I have a Polk PSW12 sub and lately when i plug it in i hear loud buzzing pooping noise. With or without rca cables plugged in. Only way to stop the buzzing is unplugging it. Any thoughts? Sucks that the 5 year warranty just ended last month.
post #183 of 2924 Old 07-30-2012, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Bob View Post

I will make a suggestion for speakers: the previous (still currently available at blow-out prices) Pioneer (Andrew Jones model) speakers. Undoubtedly these are one of the best entry level speaker systems out there. They are routinely discounted on Newegg with the entire 5.1 system generally costing less than $300. The Pioneer (SW-8) subwoofer is not the greatest but it is certainly adequate for this price point. It's very musical, and it blends nicely with the other speakers. Probably the next step up for a sub would be the Energy / Mirage 10.3 which has a loyal fan base on this and other forums.

This is a really good suggestion, all the way around. The Pioneer speakers are a great value, and the Energy S10.3 is very well regarded subwoofer. Not sure I concur that the SW-8 is worth much of anything, but the rest is first rate.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #184 of 2924 Old 07-30-2012, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticustrd View Post

Not sure if im in the right thread, but it does say questions thread. I have a Polk PSW12 sub and lately when i plug it in i hear loud buzzing pooping noise. With or without rca cables plugged in. Only way to stop the buzzing is unplugging it. Any thoughts? Sucks that the 5 year warranty just ended last month.

Although I seriously doubt it's due to the power cord or electrical socket, you might want to try plugging it in somewhere else and see if the noise still occurs. More then likely it's the amp though.

post #185 of 2924 Old 07-30-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

This is a really good suggestion, all the way around. The Pioneer speakers are a great value, and the Energy S10.3 is very well regarded subwoofer. Not sure I concur that the SW-8 is worth much of anything, but the rest is first rate.

If not the SW-8 than which one?
post #186 of 2924 Old 07-31-2012, 03:55 AM

Quote:

If not the SW-8 than which one?

As mentioned above, the Energy 10.3 is a step up from the Pioneer SW-8. It is currently on sale for $199 at Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882269026&nm_mc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r&cm_mmc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r-_-Home+Audio+Speakers-_-Energy-_-82269026

There is also a newly created owners thread for the Energy /Mirage subs at:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1420795/official-energy-and-mirage-subwoofer-owners-thread
post #187 of 2924 Old 07-31-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:

Although I seriously doubt it's due to the power cord or electrical socket, you might want to try plugging it in somewhere else and see if the noise still occurs. More then likely it's the amp though.

Thanks, yea i tried a different socket and still getting the loud buzzing sound. Im going to call Polk and see what they recommend. Thanks for th reply.
post #188 of 2924 Old 07-31-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 920
Quote:

Quote:

What's the rest of your equipment (receiver, speakers, etc)?

For receiver I've chosen the Denon 2312, I do have yet to buy it though(going to buy it all at once). Now for speakers I will probably buy new ones, but I found some old sound dynamics speakers at my parent's house(2x RTS-1, 1x RTS-C1, and 2x RTS-7). I have no idea if those are any good , and I'm fully open to buying new ones eventually but at the moment i don't have a huge budget. So if you have a suggestion for speakers (for the future) and sub, or if these speakers are worth keeping that would all be extremely helpful.

Thanks for the help!

although this is not the receiver forum, considering your restricted budget and tiny room I would strongly suggest you get a less expensive receiver and allocate more funds to the speaker/subwoofer budget. In a 13x13 room you will require minimal power for the speakers, and the marginal gains of an extra $100-200 in the speaker/sub budget will be much more significant.

for example, in the Vanns clearance rack there is a Denon 1712 for $306 with 10% off so around $275 shipped all in. It has the same MultEQ XT room calibration as the 2312 you are considering and will sound identical, you are basically just sacrificing the network functions and the video scaling and a few extra inputs on the back. If you want the networking you could still step down to the 2112 from the 2312 and save $100 or so. Unless you are getting a screaming deal on the 2312 on closeout pricing, that is my advice.

that extra money could, for example, go to a second S10.3 subwoofer allowing you to get smoother response in your square room. Square rooms are among the worst acoustically for bass frequencies, and you will undoubtedly have some deep nulls and peaks with only one sub.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #189 of 2924 Old 07-31-2012, 11:47 AM

sub suggestions/input anyone?

currently have a polk r30 front, r15 rear, sc124 center, dayton sub-120 setup. considering an upgrade to monitor 50 front and a cs1 center. avr was eaten by a lightning strike and considering replacing the fried onkyo tx-r507 with a denon avr-1712.

the dayton has worked well and for the price i have been pretty pleased with it. but since it also was eaten by lightning i am looking at budget replacements. have seen what looks like good deals on an energy s10.3 for around $200 and the polk psw505 for about $250. would either of these be a step up from that dayton? room is pretty big, probably about 18x12. 90% is home theatre use, not a lot of music and i'm not a hypercritical audiophile anyway.
post #190 of 2924 Old 07-31-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

18x12 isn't really that big of a room. For $200 the S10.3 is really the king right now. If you want a little more raw boom boom output for movies the BIC F12 is a good choice.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #191 of 2924 Old 07-31-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumby181 View Post

sub suggestions/input anyone?
currently have a polk r30 front, r15 rear, sc124 center, dayton sub-120 setup. considering an upgrade to monitor 50 front and a cs1 center. avr was eaten by a lightning strike and considering replacing the fried onkyo tx-r507 with a denon avr-1712.
the dayton has worked well and for the price i have been pretty pleased with it. but since it also was eaten by lightning i am looking at budget replacements. have seen what looks like good deals on an energy s10.3 for around $200 and the polk psw505 for about $250. would either of these be a step up from that dayton? room is pretty big, probably about 18x12. 90% is home theatre use, not a lot of music and i'm not a hypercritical audiophile anyway.

Im the the same boat as you are. Been looking at both of those subs, but many reviews ive read throughout the day suggest these sub go on sale a lot. I have a CadenceCSX 12 as my main sub, id like another sub just to balance the right side of my home theater (which the psw12 did well) The 505 has tons of positive reviews which im leaning towards to replace my Polk PSw12. Not really feeling the cosmetic side of the Energy and i cant really find to many reviews for the Energy sub. Looks like ill be watching the price on that PSW505 hoping i find it for under $200 like some have been lucky to get.
post #192 of 2924 Old 08-01-2012, 10:56 AM

Great forum and thread.

I recently upgraded my HTIB system to the following components:

Yamaha rx-a710 receiver
2 EMP Tek E55Ti fronts
EMP Tek E56Ci center
2 EMP Tek E55wi surrounds

I plan to run a 5.1 setup (for now ...), with the additional two amp channels powering a set of outdoor speakers.

Great room is 20x15x18 (5400 cubic feet), and most of the right side of the room is open to a kitchen (first floor only) and foyer (first and second floors). So it's a large space to fill.

Since the HTIB sub will be moving to the basement along with the rest of my old system, I had planned to buy a ~$200 "stop-gap" sub like the Energy S10.3 or Bic F12 to go with the EMPs for now and upgrade later.

After reading this thread, however, it seems I might be better served simply to run my new system without a sub for now, and save my money until I can convince the wife to let me spend a few more bucks on something better.

Realistically, what subs should I be looking at? I'm guessing nothing in the "budget" range? Would something in the $500-600 range work? (e.g., Outlaw LFM-1, Epik Legend, HSU VTF-2 MK 4) What about the Klipsch RW-12D (cheaper if it goes back on sale)? Or should I be looking for something even larger? Will I need at least 2 subs to fill the space?

FYI, I don't need a sub that will shake my entire house or disrupt my neighbor's pacemaker, but I would prefer to have a "robust" sub to compliment my setup. (I specifically decided not to go with the EMP Tek subs because, according to the specs and reviews, they only go down to 30 hz.)

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Edited to note that this system will be used approximately 50% for casual television/sports viewing, 25% music and 25% movies.
post #193 of 2924 Old 08-01-2012, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanebo View Post

After reading this thread, however, it seems I might be better served simply to run my new system without a sub for now, and save my money until I can convince the wife to let me spend a few more bucks on something better.
Realistically, what subs should I be looking at? I'm guessing nothing in the "budget" range? Would something in the $500-600 range work? (e.g., Outlaw LFM-1, Epik Legend, HSU VTF-2 MK 4) What about the Klipsch RW-12D (cheaper if it goes back on sale)? Or should I be looking for something even larger? Will I need at least 2 subs to fill the space?

With a room that size you're probably looking at duals, and even then I'm not sure true "budget" subs would be the best choice.

A pair of the RW-12d's should work pretty well, and since they can often be had for a good price those won't not break the bank either. If you like very deep and/or loud bass even they may not suffice though, in which case you will probably have to look into some of the others you mentioned.

post #194 of 2924 Old 08-01-2012, 01:30 PM

As I figured. Thanks for the input, Jim.
post #195 of 2924 Old 08-01-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 468
shanebo,

For a 5,400 cubic foot room I'd be looking at something no less than a contender in the JTR or Seaton Sound category....That's an incredible uptick in budget though.

I guess it depends on how bass hungry you are.

If you want to go cheap, and end up buying a pair of RW-12Ds you are going to come back here and say the Klipsch RW-12D are farting bad in your room and that they are terrible subs. To that I would respond you under bought for your room. You cannot fill a room that large with substantial "felt" 20-25hz bass for $600 even with a pair of decent subs like the Klipsch RW-12D, nor with any single $600 sub.

My 3500 cubic foot room requires a $1000 range subwoofer to begin to feel the tactile response on my pantlegs.

again --- it depends on how bass hungry you are. Do you want to feel it? Or only hear it? You have a large room and it's going to take a lot to feel it.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

post #196 of 2924 Old 08-01-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

shanebo,
For a 5,400 cubic foot room I'd be looking at something no less than something in the JTR or Seaton Sound category....That's an incredible uptick in budge though.
I guess it depends on how bass hungry you are.
Sooo if you want to go cheap you are going to come back here and say the Klipsch RW-12D are farting bad in your room and that they are terrible subs. To that I would respond you underbought for your room. You cannot fill a room that large with substantial "felt" 20-25hz bass for $600.
My 3500 cubic foot room requires a $1000 range subwoofer to begin to feel the tactile response on my clothing.
again --- it depends on how bass hungry you are. Do you want to feel it? Or only hear it? You have a large room and it's going to take a lot to feel it.

Your point is well taken.

I think if we're talking $5-600 vs. $2000 in subs, I may well have to be satisfied with heard bass rather than felt bass (at least in my family room ...)

Thanks for the comment -- very helpful.
post #197 of 2924 Old 08-01-2012, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
How would the RW-12D do in a room that is 15' x 10' x 9'?

TV is on the 15' wall and the sub would be in the right front corner of that wall. I sit 8' from the TV. There is a double door opening on the far left of the 15' wall that the TV is on, but I have my living room furniture setup to make my effective space just that 10' x 10' square. Floors are hardwood and the wall to the right of the room is closed, so the opening for the dining room is the only one in the room.

Would the opening to the dining room on the opposite end of the corner the sub would sit in make a huge difference in sound? Is the room small enough for a S10.3 to be enough? I have people living above me, it's a house turned into a duplex. So I won't be listening at extremely loud levels, but I do want to be able to feel the bass. I know the limitations of low frequencies (below 30 Hz) in this price range, but I'm not spending more than $300 at the moment.

Video - Panasonic VT50 55" | Panasonic BDT320
AVR - Denon X4000 | Sherbourn PA 7-350
Speakers - JTR Noesis 228HT | DIY Sound Group Volt V10 | JTR Captivator S2
post #198 of 2924 Old 08-01-2012, 08:32 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanebo View Post

Your point is well taken.
I think if we're talking $5-600 vs. $2000 in subs, I may well have to be satisfied with heard bass rather than felt bass (at least in my family room ...)
Thanks for the comment -- very helpful.

You could start with one $1000 sub and add another later...if you survive the wife beating you to a pulp, or you could look at DIY....

post #199 of 2924 Old 08-02-2012, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emr25 View Post

How would the RW-12D do in a room that is 15' x 10' x 9'?
TV is on the 15' wall and the sub would be in the right front corner of that wall. I sit 8' from the TV. There is a double door opening on the far left of the 15' wall that the TV is on, but I have my living room furniture setup to make my effective space just that 10' x 10' square. Floors are hardwood and the wall to the right of the room is closed, so the opening for the dining room is the only one in the room.

In a 15x10x9 room the RW-12d (or S10.3) would do very well. However, the "opening for the dining room" part might change that somewhat.

A subwoofer 'sees' all of the space, not just what you've designated as a viewing area. If that opening is substantial it will alter the output of any subwoofer. How large is that doorway?

post #200 of 2924 Old 08-02-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnitro07 View Post

You could start with one $1000 sub and add another later...if you survive the wife beating you to a pulp, or you could look at DIY....

Good idea. I'm actually looking at my DIY options now. The wife was fine with the "pretty" EMP setup. Subs, not so much ...
post #201 of 2924 Old 08-02-2012, 12:35 PM

What sub would you reccomend if $150 is my max budget. I have denon 1713, and Pioneer SP 21 C/F/R/rl/rr. My living room is in a great room. The whole house is only 2300 sq ft and thats with bedrooms so the living room is only probably 1000-1200 sq ft?

Here is a pic of the living room showing the unorthodox shape its a very open room, the back wall that is blue with the rattan shade is where the tv would go and the sub in that corner (next to the lamp).

Thanks for all the help Jim.
post #202 of 2924 Old 08-02-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

beautiful room but a bit of an acoustic nightmare and a lot of space to fill! I think you already know from reading this thread that most are going to tell you that you need to spend a lot more $$ to pressurize a space that large. At a $150 budget, you are going to have to settle for bass that you can "hear" and not necessarily "feel". Thankfully it looks like the couch is close enough to the corner where the sub will be that you should get decent nearfield response.

if you absolutely can't go beyond $150 then the Dayton Sub 1200 is probably your only realistic option: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-629

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #203 of 2924 Old 08-02-2012, 01:30 PM

Thanks so much...maybe can squeeze $200. But after that its the dog house. We have our first on the way and stereo equipment is not getting high priority from the wifey =) I know the ideal would be two 12's, but Im just not there. I seemed to of missed out on the energy sub deal mad.gif
post #204 of 2924 Old 08-02-2012, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by estcstm3 View Post

Thanks so much...maybe can squeeze $200. But after that its the dog house. We have our first on the way and stereo equipment is not getting high priority from the wifey =) I know the ideal would be two 12's, but Im just not there. I seemed to of missed out on the energy sub deal mad.gif

The SUB-1200 batpig mentioned is probably the only viable $150 option, so I'd give that one some consideration. You could always wait until the Energy goes on sale again, which seems to be pretty frequently. You may also want to check out the BIC F12. That's not bad for $200.

post #205 of 2924 Old 08-02-2012, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 468
I'd personally buy the BIC F12 over the Energy s10.3

I just need to buy or borrow a Energy s10.3 and compare it directly to my buddies F12. Anybody got one they'll send me for measurement? I'll pay return shipping.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

post #206 of 2924 Old 08-02-2012, 05:53 PM

Thanks for the replies. So for under 150 the Dayton 12, and for around 200 the F12 instead of the energy?
post #207 of 2924 Old 08-03-2012, 04:09 PM

For a 22*11*8 living room in apartment building, I am looking for a small 8" sub.

what about the Jamo SUB210 is good? I like its design. tongue.gif
post #208 of 2924 Old 08-03-2012, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTTOG View Post

For a 22*11*8 living room in apartment building, I am looking for a small 8" sub.

You want a single 8" sub for an area of almost 2000 cubic feet? Why would you want to do that? No matter what you get the bass output will more then likely be anemic.

post #209 of 2924 Old 08-04-2012, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Got a budget of $250 or less for a sub. Just got BIC dv64 mains and the 62CLRS center (picking them up today!).

I'm looking at the Polk PSW-505 or the BIC Formula F12...which should I get or is there a better alternative? I'm not considering anything less than a 12" driver.

I currently have the 7.1 speaker setup from the Onkyo HT-S5400 HTiB system paired with my Onkyo TX-NR609 receiver.

I was thinking the best option would be to pair up the new sub with the Onkyo factory model (10" down firing ported, major CHUFFLE!!!) in a dual sub config, since I believe both these subs I am considering have phase control. I will probably let Audessey set xover for the Onkyo to handle upper freqs while crossing the new sub over at something like 60hz at the sub...

My room is pretty bad for a budget system, but it is what it is. Open style, pitched ceiling going from 10' to 16'. Kitchen and living room are one big open area, about 35' x 17'.

My listening area is cordoned off using an "L" sectional sofa and is about 12' x 17'.
Advice?

60" 1080p 3D Plasma Panel
3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #210 of 2924 Old 08-04-2012, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrey0118 View Post

Got a budget of $250 or less for a sub. My room is pretty bad for a budget system, but it is what it is. Open style, pitched ceiling going from 10' to 16'. Kitchen and living room are one big open area, about 35' x 17'.

If the ceiling for that entire area were only 10' you would have almost 6000 cubic feet to fill. eek.gif There isn't a $250 subwoofer made that can manage that. Realistically, you would have to start at 4-5 times your budget to get anything approaching decent output.

Along with the two you're already looking at check out the Acoustic Audio HD-SUB15. It probably won't be a musical sub, but being a 15" driver it might cope with that room better. Another option to consider would be a pair of Dayton SUB 1200's. Getting two subwoofers would allow you to place them in such a manner as to help mitigate some of the expansive space.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page