Budget subwoofers discussions, opinions and questions thread - Page 70 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #2071 of 2924 Old 11-08-2013, 06:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

I'd reconsider getting a sub that doesn't at least have some pretense of being articulate. Your PSB speakers are pretty nice, and have a reputation for being precise, so getting a subwoofer that isn't might result in some audible integration issues. For example, that C1500K kit is a driver, amp and enclosure for $340. All those components for that price infers something has to give. Looking at the spec's depth is definitely one of them, but are dynamics another? Your room is not terribly large, at less that 1800 ft^3, so you may want to consider something smaller with better components.

You might check out the review of the PA-150 by Josh Ricci on data-bass.com, which he found to be an excellent sub for the same price with a 15" driver and a 250 watt amp. If Premier Acoustics can sell a good 15" sub at $350--and they have to build in profit for themselves AND for the reseller--no reason to suspect that Parts Express can't do the same given that Dayton is their house brand (same company) and thus have no middle man.
Transmaniacon likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 2924 Old 11-08-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

You might check out the review of the PA-150 by Josh Ricci on data-bass.com, which he found to be an excellent sub for the same price with a 15" driver and a 250 watt amp. If Premier Acoustics can sell a good 15" sub at $350--and they have to build in profit for themselves AND for the reseller--no reason to suspect that Parts Express can't do the same given that Dayton is their house brand (same company) and thus have no middle man.

Also have to factor in labor costs to assemble the PA-150 sub, that Dayton kit is a great value.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #2073 of 2924 Old 11-08-2013, 07:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Good news for people hunting for ~$200 subs. The JBL SUB150P is back to $199 on Newegg, and the Polk PSW505 is currently $179 after rebate. Add those to the BIC F12 at its regular price and the Lava LSP12 at $170, and there are lots of good options right now smile.gif

post #2074 of 2924 Old 11-12-2013, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I received my Lava LSP12 yesterday. While there's no manufacture date on the sub itself, the box had a date of Jan. 2011 which leads me to believe that this might indeed be an inventory blowout sale.

I got it setup and re-ran Audyssey. It was already late when I got home and unboxed it so I haven't been able to do much with it yet. But early impressions are that it clearly outperforms the Dayton SUB-1200 it is replacing. I need to do a bit more experimenting with placement as well. It's clearly not as "one note" as the Dayton and definitely fills the room a little more.

For the price, I'm probably going to pull the trigger on a second one before they're sold out.
post #2075 of 2924 Old 11-13-2013, 06:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

For anyone looking for a smaller 8" sub, Outlaw Audio has their M8 on sale for one week for $249 shipped.

post #2076 of 2924 Old 11-14-2013, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

For anyone looking for a smaller 8" sub, Outlaw Audio has their M8 on sale for one week for $249 shipped.

That is a great deal for that sub! One other recommendation I will make, the Velodyne DEQ-8R is on sale from Velodyne for $229 shipped. It also is an 8" sub, but has a stronger amp, DSP, and an auto-calibration feature with mic, and a 120Hz high pass filter. I have been thoroughly impressed by mine!

http://velodyne.com/special-offers/certified-refurbished/deq-8r-refurbished.html

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #2077 of 2924 Old 11-16-2013, 12:59 PM

Hi, i'm a 14 years old boy and i want too buy a Subwoofer. But i dont know what all the information means of HZ and those stuff (My father doesn't know it either :P) I've seen a nice Subwoofer on the internet but can you say to me which one is better. I will realy priciate it.

Link for the first Subwoofer:
http://www.thomann.de/nl/adam_subf.htm

This is the Adam SubF from Thomman Holland

Link second Subwoofer:
http://www.thomann.de/nl/prodipe_pro_10s_active_subwoofer.htm

This is the Prodipe Pro 10s V2 Active Subwoofer

I hope you can help me to choose one and say what's good about them, if you maby know a better Subwoofer i want to pay maximal 300 euro's for it.
post #2078 of 2924 Old 11-16-2013, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anodyne View Post

I received my Lava LSP12 yesterday. While there's no manufacture date on the sub itself, the box had a date of Jan. 2011 which leads me to believe that this might indeed be an inventory blowout sale.

I got it setup and re-ran Audyssey. It was already late when I got home and unboxed it so I haven't been able to do much with it yet. But early impressions are that it clearly outperforms the Dayton SUB-1200 it is replacing. I need to do a bit more experimenting with placement as well. It's clearly not as "one note" as the Dayton and definitely fills the room a little more.

For the price, I'm probably going to pull the trigger on a second one before they're sold out.

Glad you are happy with it. They are good subs for the money. That said I just left the Lava website and it seems their subs are back to the regular price.
post #2079 of 2924 Old 11-16-2013, 02:08 PM

Liked: 40
Looking through that website (the subs we would normally recommend would be hard to get where you live) this one is the best deal http://www.thomann.de/nl/maudio_sbx10.htm It is slightly outside of your stated budget, but well worth scraping up the extra cash. When it comes to subs, you want the lower HZ number to be as low as possible within the stated tolerance (usually +/-3db). This means it will play lower frequencies. Another spec to look at is output (how loud it will play), which is measured in db...you want that to be as high as possible. I did not see that stated on the web page, but that is not unusual for budget subs.
post #2080 of 2924 Old 11-16-2013, 04:59 PM

Last year I picked up NHT Absolute Towers/Two C center and the 10d subwoofer which is powered by an Onkyo 818. After living with the sub for quite some time now I wish I would have got something bigger as it doesn't provide enough umph. I use it for 100% movies/TV and the room size; family room is roughly 25x16x10 but does have a couple openings to the kitchen which would make the room 25x24x10.

A big factor is it has to be wife approved in the size; which is why I got the 10d. I need to stay around the 16x16x16 in size given the placement and would like the LFE cable hookup. Also, I do not have enough room for 2 subs, so I have to stick to 1.

Any thoughts for a replacement?
post #2081 of 2924 Old 11-16-2013, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard-With-Style View Post

Hi, i'm a 14 years old boy and i want too buy a Subwoofer. But i dont know what all the information means of HZ and those stuff (My father doesn't know it either :P) I've seen a nice Subwoofer on the internet but can you say to me which one is better. I will realy priciate it.

Link for the first Subwoofer:
http://www.thomann.de/nl/adam_subf.htm

This is the Adam SubF from Thomman Holland

Link second Subwoofer:
http://www.thomann.de/nl/prodipe_pro_10s_active_subwoofer.htm

This is the Prodipe Pro 10s V2 Active Subwoofer

I hope you can help me to choose one and say what's good about them, if you maby know a better Subwoofer i want to pay maximal 300 euro's for it.

Without knowing how large your room is, or what you plan to use the subwoofer for (music, TV, movies), it's difficult to give accurate answers. Not knowing what products are available where you are is going to present a challenge as well. That being said...

Of the two you provided links for the Prodipe is probably the better of them. The M-Audio that Audiophile2k suggested might be even better than the Prodipe, but the specifications listed don't appear to be very accurate. A small 10" driver isn't really going to hit 20Hz - not with any usable output at least - so you may want to do a little more research on that one before spending any money on it.

If you want to learn a little about subwoofers in general try this link. It has some pretty good information

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #2082 of 2924 Old 11-16-2013, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taje View Post

Last year I picked up NHT Absolute Towers/Two C center and the 10d subwoofer which is powered by an Onkyo 818. After living with the sub for quite some time now I wish I would have got something bigger as it doesn't provide enough umph. I use it for 100% movies/TV and the room size; family room is roughly 25x16x10 but does have a couple openings to the kitchen which would make the room 25x24x10.

A big factor is it has to be wife approved in the size; which is why I got the 10d. I need to stay around the 16x16x16 in size given the placement and would like the LFE cable hookup. Also, I do not have enough room for 2 subs, so I have to stick to 1.

I'm not surprised the 10d is all but invisible. If you don't account for the kitchen that area is 4000 ft^3, which a little subwoofer like that simply won't be able to handle. If those openings you allude to are sufficiently large such that the space could be considered "open" then we're talking about 6000 ft^3, which is cavernous.

Since you're posting in the budget subwoofers thread I'll assume you have $300 or so to spend on another sub. Unfortunately, there isn't anything made for that price which is going to put a dent in a room the size of yours. You could look into something like the BIC F12. That would provide more bass than the 10d does, but it would still be overwhelmed by your room. I also have my doubts whether something like that would integrate properly with the NHT speakers; budget subs are not generally known for precision, yet NHT speakers are. You may have a problem seamlessly blending the two of them.

post #2083 of 2924 Old 11-16-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:

I'm not surprised the 10d is all but invisible. If you don't account for the kitchen that area is 4000 ft^3, which a little subwoofer like that simply won't be able to handle. If those openings you allude to are sufficiently large such that the space could be considered "open" then we're talking about 6000 ft^3, which is cavernous.

Since you're posting in the budget subwoofers thread I'll assume you have $300 or so to spend on another sub. Unfortunately, there isn't anything made for that price which is going to put a dent in a room the size of yours. You could look into something like the BIC F12. That would provide more bass than the 10d does, but it would still be overwhelmed by your room. I also have my doubts whether something like that would integrate properly with the NHT speakers; budget subs are not generally known for precision, yet NHT speakers are. You may have a problem seamlessly blending the two of them.

That is what I was worried about. If I extend the budget to $600-800 would that open me up to something that would work?
post #2084 of 2924 Old 11-17-2013, 02:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I'm interested in upgrading my modest home theater with a new subwoofer. I considered replacing my Yamaha YST-SW216 with the new NS-SW300. It's also a 10" speaker but with 250W power (my current sub has 100W) and an auto-on feature that I so badly require. It's stated that it goes down to 20 Hz. However, I've read here that a 10-inch subwoofer is hardly ever going to hit 20 Hz. That's really the point of upgrading because I want deeper chest-pounding sound.

I've decided to go with Yamaha solely to complement the rest of my equipment (NS-777, NS-333 and NS-C444 connected to RX-A1020), but it's not a necessary brand choice. My room is 3 x 4 meters so I don't really need a lot of power, just lower frequency response. Any wise suggestions? Consider that I live in Europe and I'm not able to purchase all those powerful speaker brands from the US.
post #2085 of 2924 Old 11-17-2013, 02:48 AM

Need some help here. I need to figure what I need and get out of this forum before I start hanging out here to long and start thinking I need to upgrade my home theatre which will cost way more than I want to spend for now. The more time I spend here the more money I will spend. This is proven fact.

I'm going for music only in my garage. I'm going to get an HK stereo receiver with possibly Klipsch F20 or BIC PL-76 with a budget sub of around $300.

Need to know which budget subs would sound best with music only, not loud listening while in garage. May take out of the garage every now and then for an occasional pay-per-view fight which bass won't be real important.

Would I be better off just skipping the budget sub and going with the Klipsch F30 or BIC PL-89?

Trying to keep this under a $1000

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

post #2086 of 2924 Old 11-17-2013, 03:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaskin View Post

Need some help here. I need to figure what I need and get out of this forum before I start hanging out here to long and start thinking I need to upgrade my home theatre which will cost way more than I want to spend for now. The more time I spend here the more money I will spend. This is proven fact.

I'm going for music only in my garage. I'm going to get an HK stereo receiver with possibly Klipsch F20 or BIC PL-76 with a budget sub of around $300.

Need to know which budget subs would sound best with music only, not loud listening while in garage. May take out of the garage every now and then for an occasional pay-per-view fight which bass won't be real important.

Would I be better off just skipping the budget sub and going with the Klipsch F30 or BIC PL-89?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Definitely do not skip the sub. A pair of PL76s and a Bic PL200 should serve you well. Go to acousticsounddesign.com and Mike will give you a good deal on the set. Well under budget.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #2087 of 2924 Old 11-17-2013, 03:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That is what I was worried about. If I extend the budget to $600-800 would that open me up to something that would work?
It would help a lot. With a room that size you should almost certainly get 2 subs. Something like 2 Bic PL200 or 2 Premier Acoustic PA-120. Mike at acousticsounddesign.com will give you a good deal on a pair of either.

post #2088 of 2924 Old 11-17-2013, 03:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highd3f View Post

I'm interested in upgrading my modest home theater with a new subwoofer. I considered replacing my Yamaha YST-SW216 with the new NS-SW300. It's also a 10" speaker but with 250W power (my current sub has 100W) and an auto-on feature that I so badly require. It's stated that it goes down to 20 Hz. However, I've read here that a 10-inch subwoofer is hardly ever going to hit 20 Hz. That's really the point of upgrading because I want deeper chest-pounding sound.

I've decided to go with Yamaha solely to complement the rest of my equipment (NS-777, NS-333 and NS-C444 connected to RX-A1020), but it's not a necessary brand choice. My room is 3 x 4 meters so I don't really need a lot of power, just lower frequency response. Any wise suggestions? Consider that I live in Europe and I'm not able to purchase all those powerful speaker brands from the US.
I dont know whats available in Europe. Can you narrow it down to 3 or 4 choices and post them? That way we arent suggesting a bunch of stuff that you cant even buy.

post #2089 of 2924 Old 11-17-2013, 05:34 AM

Which are the best low priced subwoofers for use in a 5.1 large speaker set up?

Any black friday specials?
post #2090 of 2924 Old 11-17-2013, 07:05 AM

Thx
Quote:

Without knowing how large your room is, or what you plan to use the subwoofer for (music, TV, movies), it's difficult to give accurate answers. Not knowing what products are available where you are is going to present a challenge as well. That being said...

Of the two you provided links for the Prodipe is probably the better of them. The M-Audio that Audiophile2k suggested might be even better than the Prodipe, but the specifications listed don't appear to be very accurate. A small 10" driver isn't really going to hit 20Hz - not with any usable output at least - so you may want to do a little more research on that one before spending any money on it.

If you want to learn a little about subwoofers in general try this link. It has some pretty good information

Thx for your reaction.I listend to Hardstyle my room is 5 by 5 meters can you help me now choose between one of the two?
post #2091 of 2924 Old 11-17-2013, 07:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiselisten View Post

Which are the best low priced subwoofers for use in a 5.1 large speaker set up?

Any black friday specials?

Gee, with all the details you provided I'm sure the suggestions will start rolling in. Why don't you try reading the past 5-10 pages of the thread and you will quickly get a sense for (1) the commonly suggested options and (2) the types of variables that will influence the decision.
JimWilson likes this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #2092 of 2924 Old 11-17-2013, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That budget will certainly open up your options, but then size becomes a problem (doesn't it always? wink.gif). A 16" cube does not provide for much when you're talking about subwoofers, so if that's a hard and fast restriction you're going to encounter issues. Is that an insurmountable limit?

post #2093 of 2924 Old 11-17-2013, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaskin View Post

Depending upon how large the garage is, and what type of music you listen to, towers may be a better alternative for you.

post #2094 of 2924 Old 11-17-2013, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Gee, with all the details you provided I'm sure the suggestions will start rolling in.

smiley-laughing013.gif
noiselisten likes this.

post #2095 of 2924 Old 11-17-2013, 07:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That budget will certainly open up your options, but then size becomes a problem (doesn't it always? wink.gif). A 16" cube does not provide for much when you're talking about subwoofers, so if that's a hard and fast restriction you're going to encounter issues. Is that an insurmountable limit?
lol So much for my suggestion. I just noticed he not only needs that size but 2 subs is out. WAF strikes again.

post #2096 of 2924 Old 11-17-2013, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard-With-Style View Post

Thx for your reaction.I listend to Hardstyle my room is 5 by 5 meters can you help me now choose between one of the two?

Both the Prodipe and M-Audio subwoofers are from companies that make speakers called "studio monitors", which are supposed to be some of the most accurate and musically pure speakers available. I would imagine their subwoofers are also designed in the same way, so they should both reproduce music very well. The type you listen to is very fast and aggressive, especially with the drums and bass, so having an accurate subwoofer will be a benefit.

Since I've never heard either of those two subwoofers I can only look at their specifications and make assumptions, but based upon that the M-Audio may be a better choice (if you can afford a little more). It's more powerful amp and larger cabinet suggest it can play a bit louder and deeper - lower Hz number - which is probably what you're looking for. I'm not sure either is a wrong choice though, it's just which is better for you.

post #2097 of 2924 Old 11-17-2013, 07:59 AM

Hi again,
Thanks for the tips.

OK one detailed question please:

How would a Polk PSW10 10-Inch Subwoofer compliment 5 Klipsch R-1650-W In-Wall Speakers using a 5.1 AV Receiver? Would the PSW10 choke and become inaudible with the R1650W speakers?

Please see the speaker details (R-1650-W) in the following link from the manufacturer´s website: http://www.klipsch.com/r-1650-w-in-wall-speaker

The 5.1 setup will be used for movies. The sub woofer is for movies . Subwoofer Musical accuracy is not so important. Hopefully the sub woofer should be loud and create an impacting impression.

Room size equals 5.00 meters by 4.50 meters.

Thanks.
post #2098 of 2924 Old 11-17-2013, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

lol So much for my suggestion. I just noticed he not only needs that size but 2 subs is out. WAF strikes again.

Indeed it has. Initially I was going to suggest the LV12R or LFM-1 EX, but the size limit would definitely shoot those down as well.

post #2099 of 2924 Old 11-17-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:

Depending upon how large the garage is, and what type of music you listen to, towers may be a better alternative for you.

Lots of different types of music like classic rock, blues, hispanic, 70's R&B, country not to much music that needs hard hitting bass. Some olds school funk every now and then. All the speakers I mentioned are towers. A couple of them with 6.5 woofers and the others with 8". While listening in the garage it will always be open so there will be no pressurizing the room. It is a standard two car garage that I'm just trying to have some descent tunes in.

If I was going for higher end subs it would be no problem it has been years since I have looked at subs in this range and never looked for a musical sub only for movies.

Thanks Jim and Bond for the responses any help is greatly appreciated. Like I say I to figure what I need fast because the longer I stay on here the more I think I need to upgrade my home theatre.

post #2100 of 2924 Old 11-17-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:

Indeed it has. Initially I was going to suggest the LV12R or LFM-1 EX, but the size limit would definitely shoot those down as well.

The biggest I could go would be around 17" wide and 17" deep; not much of an improvement. The height isn't so much of an issue even though the WAF is really improvement, but space where I am putting it is the biggest factor. I am not sure what that opens me up too.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page