Budget subwoofers discussions, opinions and questions thread - Page 79 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #2341 of 3032 Old 01-07-2014, 02:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonybme View Post

Thanks for the suggestions.
I'm open to a bit more cost. I think the P1000 cost me $599 as well.

I checked the SVS out and it's very tiny. 13" square.
Hard to rest a 17" wide receiver on top.

It seems odd to me that, even though there's no requirement that subs be as small as possible,
that there's a prevalence of subs that try to be as small as physically possible. As if it's a marketing goal.

As BeeMan said, there's certainly a market for smaller subs because of WAF. At the same time, for a given subwoofer driver, the optimal enclosure for a single driver sealed sub will be smaller than if the driver was used in a ported sub or two of them in dual driver sealed sub. If you want a bigger sealed sub, look at a 15".

Also, the budget subwoofer thread tends to focus on <$300 subwoofers. Given that you are considering spending more for something better than you can get for $300, you might want to start your own thread. smile.gif

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 3032 Old 01-07-2014, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonybme View Post

I'm posting here, as opposed to creating a new thread, because I think what I'm looking for is a Budget sub, but I don't know what.

In my view or opinion, budget subs runs the gamut from a hundred dollars to fifteen hundred USD. Again in my opinion, the Top Dog of the budget minded subwoofers is the Rythmik FV15HP.

---snip---

Quote:
Now I have two kids and I've put the sub in between two IKEA furniture pieces so my little boy (who has already damaged my bookshelf speakers) can't get to the drivers of the sub. In fact, I doubt he even knows its a speaker.

A common lament around these here parts and that's where down firing subs are best recommended with Power Sound Audio (PSA) being one of the best received in this department.

---snip---

Quote:
I need it to be solid- not junk.

PSA subs are reported to be well made by those who post here.

Quote:
I haven't looked at the market in probably 10 years. So I'm hoping you can help advise me of a few good choices.

Expectedly, the PSA XS15 would meet all your above, well, all except for the coloration. Pretty much, everything comes in basic black. And if one wants better, they find they're getting into premium pricing.

Hsu is also well received and has down firing subs.

Hope the above gives you some sort of starting point ideas.

-
post #2343 of 3032 Old 01-07-2014, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Just set up my PSA-XV15 and watched several movies, and it was awesome. I'm saving some $$ to get a second one biggrin.gif. I'm going to learn how to use REW / SPL meter and mess around to see if I can get better sound out of my set up.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #2344 of 3032 Old 01-09-2014, 12:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

In my view or opinion, budget subs runs the gamut from a hundred dollars to fifteen hundred USD. Again in my opinion, the Top Dog of the budget minded subwoofers is the Rythmik FV15HP.

See the first post in this thread. This thread was created to support discussion of the Budget Subwoofer list thread, which is limited to $300 and under subs.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #2345 of 3032 Old 01-09-2014, 02:10 AM

You're a seriously messed up dude if you think your comment reasonably applies to my post.

-
post #2346 of 3032 Old 01-09-2014, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I would never think that a $500-$1500.00 sub would be a "budget sub" especially in a discussion group of subs of $300 or less.
post #2347 of 3032 Old 01-09-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyStreetRacer View Post

I would never think that a $500-$1500.00 sub would be a "budget sub" especially in a discussion group of subs of $300 or less.

Nor would I and then I became more familiar with subwoofers and found out, "budget" is a subjective term and to not include the full spectrum is to do the person asking the question a "HUGE" disservice. Now, I consider discussion of a $1,500.00 subwoofer to be a necessary part of a budget minded subwoofer discussion.

To maintain perspective, one should consider the title of this thread: "Budget subwoofers discussions, opinions and questions thread." And of course, this is all in my opinion. I'm a budget minded shopper and subwoofer wise, hanging here has shown me that if one is going get what they want, in honesty, all ends of the budget minded subwoofer spectrum have to be considered. A person will spend less money in the process and the same person will get what they want the first time, not the fifth, sixth or eighth time out.

Purchasing a subwoofer needs to first be looked at from the upper end of the budget minded band as opposed from the least expensive end. Why? Because subwoofers are an emotional based purchase, based on compromise. If one starts by looking at the upper band of the budget minded subwoofers like that of two or three Rythmik FV15HPs, then the individual will know what they can have but can't afford because three FV15HPs is outside the upper limits of their budget. From there, one back peddles until they feel they can no longer accept compromise and there they make a fiscal stand. But if done the way most suggest, in my opinion, they're encouraging the individual to buy into disappointment and in my opinion, that's not a nice thing to do.

Personally, in my opinion, I believe the least expensive subwoofers are being talked up, far beyond their capabilities and doing this does the uninformed an disservice. When describing the ability of subwoofers, one should talk up it's shortcomings and why that particular unit is a bad purchase idea. That way, when the individual lays their money down, they're doing so as an informed consumer, not a mislead consumer.

-
Dradius likes this.
post #2348 of 3032 Old 01-09-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Nice try. But your philosophical ramblings are, as usual, irrelevant to the thread. You can always start a new thread regarding what you consider the proper definintion of "budget" but keep the discussion here to subs under $300.
Tack and cel4145 like this.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #2349 of 3032 Old 01-09-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Nice try. But your philosophical ramblings are, as usual, irrelevant to the thread. You can always start a new thread regarding what you consider the proper definintion of "budget" but keep the discussion here to subs under $300.

There is no "Nice try." nor are there ramblings as this is an opinion thread which is mentioned in the title and there is no mention of a price point. There is a concurrent thread running that does have a price point mentioned in it's title and you're confusing this thread with that thread.

(you really do need to get your controlling behavior under control)

Allow me to quote the OP's rules forward:

"But, as you probably already surmised, I have a few ground rules for this one as well...wink.gif

No arguing. This thread is intended to discuss subwoofers, so what I'm soliciting primarily is your own experience. It may differ from someone else's, and that's perfectly alright, but let's not get into pissing contests when opinions are dissimilar."

I would hope that everybody will continue to abide by the OP's stated request.

-
post #2350 of 3032 Old 01-09-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1094 Post(s)
Liked: 1552
I'm not sure exactly what you are arguing. This thread is explicitly intended to support the "List of budget subwoofers ($300 and less)" thread, so I think it's fair to point out that $1,500 subs aren't exactly germane. Obviously, $300 is an somewhat arbitrary cutoff point, but your $1,500 mark is certainly no less arbitrary. Why not $1000? Why not $3000?

This thread has a well defined scope and that is to help people make a solid, informed decision on a limited budget, defined in this case as the $300-and-under subwoofer class. There are plenty of other threads where folks can discuss options at other budget levels. And, very often in this thread, folks are advised to spend a little more than that $300 cap when possible. There have been numerous folks who started here and then ended up with a nicer SVS or Rythmik sub after becoming more informed.

But the fact of the matter is that there are many people who (1) want to enjoy HT on a limited budget, typically folks who are looking to spend only a few hundred bucks on their system and (2) may not be the type of audiophile enthusiasts to really care that much about the incremental improvements once you get beytond a "pretty good" setup. There is this enthusiast disease on this forum where some discriminating posters over project their desires onto others and assume that nobody could possibly be happy with a $200 subwoofer.

If all you are saying is that people should be aware of the better options out there IF they are able to spend more money... then sure. Fine. Obviously. We should help inform them. I think it's reasonable to start a subwoofer discussion not "bottom up" but "top down" as you suggest. But again your $1,500 point is no less arbitrary then any other. And the vast, vast majority of folks are not going to spend $1,500 on their entire audio system. And it's OK to be OK with that.

But if you just want to get into a silly semantic argument about the word "budget"... well, I don't exactly see the point there.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #2351 of 3032 Old 01-09-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You're a seriously messed up dude if you think your comment reasonably applies to my post.

My mistake. I thought you might be unaware of the intent of this thread and might be interested in supporting this thread and helping people within the established parameters. rolleyes.gif
Tack and Transmaniacon like this.

post #2352 of 3032 Old 01-09-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

There is no "Nice try." nor are there ramblings as this is an opinion thread which is mentioned in the title and there is no mention of a price point. There is a concurrent thread running that does have a price point mentioned in it's title and you're confusing this thread with that thread.

Ummm. . .. The first post specifically says,

"There is no limit to the number of times you can post, but the sub you discuss must be listed in the Budget Subwoofers thread."

While certainly the discussion sometimes deviates from that, most of us that regularly assist people here generally try to keep with the spirit of that.

post #2353 of 3032 Old 01-09-2014, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

I also thought it was necessary to support the Budget Subwoofers thread  I have a few ground rules for this one as well...
  • There is no limit to the number of times you can post, but the sub you discuss must be listed in the Budget Subwoofers thread. That way this thread and that one will be a good cross-reference to each other.

This is the first post of this thread.  If you are discussing $1k and $1500 subs, you are definitely NOT following the topic of the thread.

Many people actually have to scrimp and save to pickup their first $100, $200, or $300sub, or upgrade their bose or some other some such big box item.  This may have to be a sub they have to live with for quite a few years due to financial constraints.

For people who are able to drop a couple thousand on subs without batting an eye lash, it becomes hard to understand or remember that some people may be struggling to build their entire system on less than a grand.

AVR:       Yamaha RXV-375

Display:  Panasonic  TH-50PC77U

LCR:       Hsu HB1.2  HC1.2

Sub:       (2) PSA XV15se

Blu Ray:  Sony BDP-S5100

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

post #2354 of 3032 Old 01-09-2014, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

I'm not sure exactly what you are arguing. This thread is explicitly intended to support the "List of budget subwoofers ($300 and less)" thread, so I think it's fair to point out that $1,500 subs aren't exactly germane. Obviously, $300 is an somewhat arbitrary cutoff point, but your $1,500 mark is certainly no less arbitrary. Why not $1000? Why not $3000?

This thread has a well defined scope and that is to help people make a solid, informed decision on a limited budget, defined in this case as the $300-and-under subwoofer class. There are plenty of other threads where folks can discuss options at other budget levels. And, very often in this thread, folks are advised to spend a little more than that $300 cap when possible. There have been numerous folks who started here and then ended up with a nicer SVS or Rythmik sub after becoming more informed.

But the fact of the matter is that there are many people who (1) want to enjoy HT on a limited budget, typically folks who are looking to spend only a few hundred bucks on their system and (2) may not be the type of audiophile enthusiasts to really care that much about the incremental improvements once you get beytond a "pretty good" setup. There is this enthusiast disease on this forum where some discriminating posters over project their desires onto others and assume that nobody could possibly be happy with a $200 subwoofer.

If all you are saying is that people should be aware of the better options out there IF they are able to spend more money... then sure. Fine. Obviously. We should help inform them. I think it's reasonable to start a subwoofer discussion not "bottom up" but "top down" as you suggest. But again your $1,500 point is no less arbitrary then any other. And the vast, vast majority of folks are not going to spend $1,500 on their entire audio system. And it's OK to be OK with that.

But if you just want to get into a silly semantic argument about the word "budget"... well, I don't exactly see the point there.

Well said
post #2355 of 3032 Old 01-09-2014, 11:17 AM

Liked: 10
I tried replacing the 12v adapter and it turns out it needs a 12v AC adapter (not DC) so I have one on order. Fingers crossed there's nothing else wrong.

"Can you hear me now?"
post #2356 of 3032 Old 01-09-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:

Why not $1000? Why not $3000?

This is an opinion based thread and anybody is welcome to place limits where they wish.

Quote:
This thread has a well defined scope

Not according to the title of the thread, nor according to the terms laid down by the OP.

Quote:

I've stated my position and I'm not the one arguing or carrying on.
post #2357 of 3032 Old 01-09-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is an opinion based thread and anybody is welcome to place limits where they wish.
Not according to the title of the thread, nor according to the terms laid down by the OP.

Sorry bee, the thread is specifically designed for discussing the subs listed in the budget subwoofers thread.  These are very low priced subs....$1k and $1500 subs are definitely way out of the scope of this thread.  Look at my post 3 above yours.  By the way, hows your new AVR working for ya?

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

post #2358 of 3032 Old 01-09-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post

...it becomes hard to understand or remember that some people may be struggling to build their entire system on less than a grand.

No where am I saying that it's not. My background, in the beginning, I worked chopping cotton in the hot Fresno sun. I know poverty, where a twenty dollar car stereo was an upgrade.

Please reread my comments so as to maintain context of my comments as you're trying to make an argument where there isn't one and you're making my comments out to be what they're not.
post #2359 of 3032 Old 01-09-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

In fact, you are. This post is proof.

post #2360 of 3032 Old 01-09-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

This post is proof.

No it's not but being that this is an opinion based thread, you're welcome to your opinion as you insist on carrying on as opposed to simply letting it go. You're the one who want's a fight. I've had my say. Let it go as I won't respond to anymore of your comments on this matter because yes, by my responding to your false assertions, I'm carrying on.

If anybody has anything more to say on this matter, unless trying to be disruptive, please PM me.
post #2361 of 3032 Old 01-09-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No where am I saying that it's not. My background, in the beginning, I worked chopping cotton in the hot Fresno sun. I know poverty, where a twenty dollar car stereo was an upgrade.

Please reread my comments so as to maintain context of my comments as you're trying to make an argument where there isn't one and you're making my comments out to be what they're not.

Again, sorry bee, i was reading through the thread, including your posts.  I noticed they were quite a bit off topic which was why I replied.  Anyway, lets discuss some $300 subs shall we?  I hear the BIC F12 performs fairly well.

Kinda wish I had researched subs before I blindly purchased my PSW110 at Best Buy.  Probably would have ended up with a better sub for the same money.  But hey it might end up supplementing my PB2000.

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

post #2362 of 3032 Old 01-09-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1094 Post(s)
Liked: 1552
Speaking of false assertions......

Quote:

Quote:

This thread has a well defined scope

From the "terms laid down by the OP:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

I also thought it was necessary to support the Budget Subwoofers thread  I have a few ground rules for this one as well...
  • There is no limit to the number of times you can post, but the sub you discuss must be listed in the Budget Subwoofers thread. That way this thread and that one will be a good cross-reference to each other.
Transmaniacon likes this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #2363 of 3032 Old 01-09-2014, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 795
Quote:

Of course you are. It wouldn't kill you to admit you're wrong and move on.
post #2364 of 3032 Old 01-09-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

Of course you are. It wouldn't kill you to admit you're wrong and move on.

No, I'm not arguing as it was a simple statement of opinion. And yes, agreed, I missed the highlighted point, I was wrong and I'm moving on.
post #2365 of 3032 Old 01-09-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 795
Good man smile.gif
post #2366 of 3032 Old 01-09-2014, 11:55 AM

BeeMan's memorial services will be held on.....

tongue.gif
post #2367 of 3032 Old 01-09-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BeeMan's memorial services will be held on.....

tongue.gif

lol bee....hey HOWS THE NEW AVR? Didnt you just get one?

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

post #2368 of 3032 Old 01-09-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post

lol bee....hey HOWS THE NEW AVR? Didnt you just get one?

Oh no. And if I respond to your question, I'll be excoriated for being off topic. tongue.gif

(it's out of the box, the shelf is being lowered to accommodate the larger size, cables are being labeled and readied for switchover to the new AVR)

-
post #2369 of 3032 Old 01-09-2014, 12:16 PM

(removed to maintain context)

-
post #2370 of 3032 Old 01-09-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Oj no. And if I respond to your question, I'll be excoriated for being off topic. tongue.gif
That is certain. No philosophical arguments about the meaning of budget or opinion will help.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page