Budget subwoofers discussions, opinions and questions thread - Page 82 - AVS Forum
First ... 80  81  82 83  84  ... Last
Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers > Budget subwoofers discussions, opinions and questions thread
phillyd32's Avatar phillyd32 09:41 AM 01-17-2014

That really isn't in my price range. And I don't want to wait longer. I don't have funds to save with.

 

Could someone answer the question of the JBL vs. the Dayton in accuracy?



cel4145's Avatar cel4145 09:51 AM 01-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyd32 View Post

The 770's are great for bass but a subwoofer, even the 6.5" Promedia sub, puts them to shame in the bass department.

Well, maybe we are wrong. Maybe you'll like the bass in something like the JBL sub. I owned the Promedias for about five years and then gave them to my neighbor. I don't think the bass with the Promedia sub is the SQ of the DT770s.
Transmaniacon's Avatar Transmaniacon 09:52 AM 01-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyd32 View Post

That really isn't in my price range. And I don't want to wait longer. I don't have funds to save with.

Could someone answer the question of the JBL vs. the Dayton in accuracy?

I would probably go with the JBL. It has a stronger amp and weighs as much as the Dayton, but has a smaller driver meaning its likely the cabinet is braced better or the driver is more substantial.

Without measurements for both in a similar space it's hard to give you a definitive answer. Room acoustics play a big part in how a sub sounds and this is different for every room.
phillyd32's Avatar phillyd32 10:03 AM 01-17-2014

The DT770's are definitely more accurate but the extension isn't there.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post


I would probably go with the JBL. It has a stronger amp and weighs as much as the Dayton, but has a smaller driver meaning its likely the cabinet is braced better or the driver is more substantial.

Without measurements for both in a similar space it's hard to give you a definitive answer. Room acoustics play a big part in how a sub sounds and this is different for every room.

I feel like the JBL will be more musical. I think I'll be going with that. I'll tell you guys when I get it what I think.


steve nn's Avatar steve nn 10:19 AM 01-17-2014
$200 3cf 25hz tune room for +2-3dB minimal cost. Enjoy that JBL


Transmaniacon's Avatar Transmaniacon 10:22 AM 01-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

$200 3cf 25hz tune room for +2-3dB minimal cost. Enjoy that JBL


That's a nice looking curve for $200! You could get that Infinity driver and a flatpack from Erich and a plate amp and have a great sub.
swim33's Avatar swim33 10:31 AM 01-17-2014
I have the 10" version of the JBL and it handles movies very well and sounds pretty good for music as well. It isn't stellar for music but it gets the job done. There is quite a bit of output for the 10" version so the 12" should do just fine.
phillyd32's Avatar phillyd32 10:36 AM 01-17-2014

Woah what is that? I'd be interested in a sub with that response for that price! Care to explain?

And thanks for the JBL recommendation
 


steve nn's Avatar steve nn 10:42 AM 01-17-2014
Quote:
That's a nice looking curve for $200! You could get that Infinity driver and a flatpack from Erich and a plate amp and have a great sub.

Yes I purposely tuned it accordingly to what I thought philly might want/like?? The tune could be brought in much lower or higher. The driver is one of those leeway drivers. Works well in sealed also and like mentioned has more to give. Anyway I just happened by and saw what was going on and thought I would interject a little. The amp has the speaker connections also. back to reg programing
phillyd32's Avatar phillyd32 10:43 AM 01-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post


Yes I purposely tuned it accordingly to what I thought philly might want/like?? The tune could be brought in much lower or higher. The driver is one of those leeway drivers. Works well in sealed also and like mentioned has more to give. Anyway I just happened by and saw what was going on and thought I would interject a little. The amp has the speaker connections also. back to reg programing

I'm completely lost. I see that some sub somewhere has a great frequency response and can be tuned very well, but what is the sub?


Transmaniacon's Avatar Transmaniacon 10:50 AM 01-17-2014
This is a DIY sub that doesn't exist yet. He simulated the frequency response based on the properties of that Infinity driver, the cabinet, and amp. You could acquire the driver, amp, and most likely a pre-cut flat pack cabinet and assemble everything yourself. This requires a little more ingenuity than the kit I linked earlier, but it's all fairly basic and easy to do. There is a ton of great information on DIY subs, and they are generally the first step most people take in the DIY world.
phillyd32's Avatar phillyd32 11:00 AM 01-17-2014

Well I already mod computer cases and stuff, so I think I could handle a little DIY.

What items make up the sub? Links?


steve nn's Avatar steve nn 11:20 AM 01-17-2014
I see they have the 1260 now that would most likely be better?? Same cost though but might be power hungry from just a quick glance
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EDRAQK/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=36244904198&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1749772540498547241&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_nc1qvqln5_b

You could upgrade to the 250w amp for another $40
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sa100-100w-subwoofer-plate-amplifier--300-802

GD is all good, air velocity is good and 1st port resonance is good. Xmax is amp limited so no filter needed (this is good)
phillyd32's Avatar phillyd32 11:31 AM 01-17-2014

Again, completely lost.

What enclosure would I buy? What driver? What amp? What do I need to assemble them?

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Reference-1262w-1200-Watt-High-Performance/dp/B0028AYIXK/ref=sr_1_8?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1389983490&sr=1-8
This driver?


steve nn's Avatar steve nn 11:37 AM 01-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyd32 View Post

Again, completely lost.


What enclosure would I buy? What driver? What amp? What do I need to assemble them?

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Reference-1262w-1200-Watt-High-Performance/dp/B0028AYIXK/ref=sr_1_8?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1389983490&sr=1-8

This driver?


I posted the amp for you and the driver. You would have to build your own enclosure to stay on/close to budget.
phillyd32's Avatar phillyd32 11:39 AM 01-17-2014

That driver isn't available.

What is involved in making an enclosure?


Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007 11:59 AM 01-17-2014
I can imagine this going on for a while. You can PM each other or start a thread in the DIY section.
JimWilson's Avatar JimWilson 12:13 PM 01-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAd13 View Post

To the Dayton Sub-1200 owners - any short term updates on the auto on/off sensitivity issue that’s been described? Any “official” word from Dayton about it? After reading Jim’s review I’m 95% sold on picking one up, but I’m a little apprehensive because the majority of my watching/listening is done at low to moderate volumes (living room set up w/ a 4 yr old and a 1 yr old put a damper on my rockin’ out…)

Nothing has changed in the amp since I wrote that review, so you can expect the same response. I left it on for almost a month straight and the amp never really got warm when it was idle, so perhaps that's something to consider if you opt to buy one.
steve nn's Avatar steve nn 12:28 PM 01-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

I can imagine this going on for a while. You can PM each other or start a thread in the DIY section.

That decision has already been made.
UGAd13's Avatar UGAd13 01:37 PM 01-17-2014
Thanks Jim. Glad you were able to see my post in the midst of the "clutter".
gcbavs's Avatar gcbavs 02:30 PM 01-17-2014
Anyone already did the work of separating the sealed vs the ported ones on the list? I'm returning a ported one after years using a cheap 'came with the dvd player' sealed sub and decided i can't have ported subs...


the sub i tried was the jbl ES250P, it is awesome for cheap movies. I have a huge room and it filled it up on movies on level 2. on level 5 it almost broken down my patio glass door/wall when running the auto tune from the receiver. but for music, I could easily be bothered by the rattle on the bass after a heavy note. and i am assuming this will be true for all ported ones, since that one was at level2 and already bothering me...

Also, maybe a silly question... the sub had a bottom port... can I just rest it on top of some rubber block closing the port and use it a level(s) up since it is way more powerfull than i need? or will this not work as i think it will and the driver will not behave as expected?
jjvanb's Avatar jjvanb 06:20 PM 01-17-2014

Hello all, First post here, I have been reading the forums for a while now, but wanted to ask some opinions before making a purchase.

 

I am slowly putting together a 5.1 system after a family member gave me an Onkyo TX SR606 Receiver. All I had previously was an old Sony HTIB.

 

Since the satellite speakers from the Sony HT-DDW665 (sorry don't know how to make links) are functional for the moment, I am purchasing the subwoofer first (the one from the HTIB is passive).

 

Details:

Room Size: 13 x 15 x 10 ( vaulted ceilings 12' at peak 8' at ends)- this room is open on one side to another room, which is a dining room about 13 x 12, but I not really concerned with filling it with bass, just including for completeness.

 

Usage: movies/tv 60% / music 40% 

 

Budget: 300- I did get WA (wife approval) for a bit more if its needed, not much though.

 

The whole house has tile floors, which I saw somewhere might make a difference, pretty much all hard surfaces, except for a few pieces of furniture.

 

ATM i am considering a HSU STF-2 (which is the MAX, I can stretch the budget to, If I can spend a bit less, it would be nice)

 

Are there others I should be looking at?


JimWilson's Avatar JimWilson 06:58 PM 01-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbavs View Post

Anyone already did the work of separating the sealed vs the ported ones on the list? I'm returning a ported one after years using a cheap 'came with the dvd player' sealed sub and decided i can't have ported subs...

the sub i tried was the jbl ES250P, it is awesome for cheap movies. I have a huge room and it filled it up on movies on level 2. on level 5 it almost broken down my patio glass door/wall when running the auto tune from the receiver. but for music, I could easily be bothered by the rattle on the bass after a heavy note. and i am assuming this will be true for all ported ones, since that one was at level2 and already bothering me...

While some of the finest sounding subwoofers I've ever heard have indeed been acoustic suspension, it's a bit too much of a generalization to proclaim ported are not able to provide high quality sound. For example, the Rythmik LV12R will compete on fidelity with anything in its price range, sealed or ported. You're certainly free to choose whatever option works best for you, but I wouldn't summarily dismiss all bass reflex subwoofers outright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbavs View Post

Also, maybe a silly question... the sub had a bottom port... can I just rest it on top of some rubber block closing the port and use it a level(s) up since it is way more powerfull than i need? or will this not work as i think it will and the driver will not behave as expected?

A subwoofer is designed as a whole, and attempting to modify but one aspect will often not end well. At best it won't sound right, but at worst you could damage the driver.
Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007 07:00 PM 01-17-2014
The STF-2 is fairly accurate but wont provide much output and doesnt go very low. Its more suited to a bedroom or office where music is the priority.
I would look at one of these. You can probably get it here for around $250.

http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/core/view_BigProduct.cfm?pid=1205&sc=28
JimWilson's Avatar JimWilson 07:14 PM 01-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvanb View Post

Since the satellite speakers from the Sony HT-DDW665 (sorry don't know how to make links) are functional for the moment, I am purchasing the subwoofer first (the one from the HTIB is passive).

Details:
Room Size: 13 x 15 x 10 ( vaulted ceilings 12' at peak 8' at ends)- this room is open on one side to another room, which is a dining room about 13 x 12, but I not really concerned with filling it with bass, just including for completeness.

Usage: movies/tv 60% / music 40% 

Budget: 300- I did get WA (wife approval) for a bit more if its needed, not much though.

The whole house has tile floors, which I saw somewhere might make a difference, pretty much all hard surfaces, except for a few pieces of furniture.

ATM i am considering a HSU STF-2 (which is the MAX, I can stretch the budget to, If I can spend a bit less, it would be nice)

You may not be concerned with filing the entire space, but a subwoofer isn't going share that sentiment I'm afraid. They see all the open/contiguous space and will attempt to fill it. That's just the nature of the beast, and unfortunately there's really nothing that can be done to change it.

If I assume the 13x12 room has a similar ceiling height of 10', you're looking at a shade over 3500 ft^3 (cubic feet) for both rooms. That's more than the STF-2 will be able to handle, so it will struggle trying to fill the space.

I did look up your Sony system and found a PDF of the manual, and according to that the speakers use a single 3" driver. Is that true? If so, you did choose a subwoofer with an upper range of 200Hz, which would prove very beneficial; those speakers probably don't have much output below 150Hz, so a subwoofer that can play that high is imperative.
jjvanb's Avatar jjvanb 07:29 PM 01-17-2014

A single 3" speaker for the old HTIB satellites sounds about right.

 

The plan is to replace them with better speakers over time.  


Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007 07:52 PM 01-17-2014
The ones I have are 3.5 high output and are very good quality. They go down to 80Hz very well.
phillyd32's Avatar phillyd32 08:12 PM 01-17-2014

Edit: NVM


jjvanb's Avatar jjvanb 08:37 PM 01-17-2014

Would the Bic PL-200 be a good fit for my situation?


JimWilson's Avatar JimWilson 08:58 PM 01-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvanb View Post

Would the Bic PL-200 be a good fit for my situation?

It certainly is rated to play high enough, so from that standpoint it should work. It's still too small for your space, but it probably has more output than the HSU. The STF-2 will be more articulate though.
First ... 80  81  82 83  84  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop