AVS Forum banner

Budget subwoofers discussions, opinions and questions thread

250K views 4K replies 436 participants last post by  JimWilson 
#1 ·
After being asked countless times by people to start a thread for discussions/opinions/questions regarding budget subwoofers I finally got off my butt and created one. Not that I didn't feel there was a need -- I did -- it just never seemed to be something I found the time for.

I also thought it was necessary to support the Budget Subwoofers thread because I've requested that none of those things occur their, and for the most part everyone has complied. This thread, however, will allow everyone to engage in those "forbidden" topics. But, as you probably already surmised, I have a few ground rules for this one as well...
  • No arguing. This thread is intended to discuss subwoofers, so what I'm soliciting primarily is your own experience. It may differ from someone else's, and that's perfectly alright, but let's not get into pissing contests when opinions are dissimilar.
  • There is no limit to the number of times you can post, but the sub you discuss must be listed in the Budget Subwoofers thread. That way this thread and that one will be a good cross-reference to each other.
  • Your post can be as long or short as you'd like. Include a full-on review or just a few sentences, either is fine. Others probably won't get much value from what you add here unless it has a decent amount of information though. Pictures are definitely welcome.
  • Be certain to include the manufacturers name and model number in the post header. That way it will be much easier to search this thread for something in specific.
  • Questions are welcome! Want more information about a particular sub, even if several people have already left comments about it? Ask away - I encourage you to do so.
  • If you've already created a post in another thread that you really like, but think it would be perfect for this one too, then you can include a link to it instead. You may also copy and paste that text to a new post here if you want but either method would be fine, the choice is up to you.

Alright everyone, let the fun begin.

See less See more
#7 ·
Great thread, thanks for the reviews, Jim.

My TSC-100-110 sub is dying and I need a new budget sub.

Right now, my choices seem to be:

Dayton 10" (Sub-100) --- $89 (free shipping)

Monoprice 12" -- $85 plus shipping

This Dayton says it goes down to 25hz...

Dayton 12"
(Sub-1200) --- $129 (free shipping)

Velodyne 10" (VX 11)
-- $179

The big winner seems to be this guy --- As it is down-firing but the port is on the side.... that's a big plus for me, since my 1 yr old boy may destroy a front-firing sub. Anyone have experience with these?

Bic America 12" (Venturi V1220)
- $168

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP32 /forum/post/21740405

The big winner seems to be this guy --- As it is down-firing but the port is on the side.... that's a big plus for me, since my 1 yr old boy may destroy a front-firing sub. Anyone have experience with these?

- $168

Here are some measurements, pics of the driver, amp etc.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1391243

If you have a choice between this and the BIC F12, I'd take the BIC F12 at the ~ the same price.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP32 /forum/post/21740405

Dayton 12"

Velodyne 10" (VX 11)
-- $179

- $168

I've actually owned the VX11, and it's a pretty good sub. Fairly articulate, and can get reasonably loud, but doesn't quite have the extension necessary for the deep LFE info.

From what I can tell the V1220 is a solid choice for a budget sub. Not the most articulate out their, but if you primarily watch movies and TV it should provide what you need. The VX11 will have more clarity, while the V1220 will be able to dig a little deeper.

The rest of those mentioned will more then likely be rather bloated and indistinct. Remember, you're buying a speaker and an amp when you get a powered sub. In order for a company to sell both of those for $100 (or less) and make a profit means they have definitely cut some corners. Depending upon what you're looking to achieve they might work, but I find myself a little suspicious.

#2,981 ·
Quote:Originally Posted by JP32

Dayton 12"

Velodyne 10" (VX 11)
-- $179

- $168

I've actually owned the VX11, and it's a pretty good sub. Fairly articulate, and can get reasonably loud, but doesn't quite have the extension necessary for the deep LFE info.

From what I can tell the V1220 is a solid choice for a budget sub. Not the most articulate out their, but if you primarily watch movies and TV it should provide what you need. The VX11 will have more clarity, while the V1220 will be able to dig a little deeper.

The rest of those mentioned will more then likely be rather bloated and indistinct. Remember, you're buying a speaker and an amp when you get a powered sub. In order for a company to sell both of those for $100 (or less) and make a profit means they have definitely cut some corners. Depending upon what you're looking to achieve they might work, but I find myself a little suspicious.
Definitely right about the Monoprice sub, in terms of bloated, indistinct bass. It was a toss up between that and the Dayton 12" for my mom, and I talked her into the Monoprice since it matched her decor better. She likes a lot of bass, and initially we were going to get her a second one. 1st impressions; the bass port had fallen off the flared end, and was bouncing around inside the cabinet, as soon as I took it out of the shipping box. It looked like there was zero adhesive to secure it to the flared opening, so I pressure fitted it as best I could and wrapped duct tape around it. Once I got it setup and adjustments made, it was loud enough, but it was bloated, one-notey, and just boomy. I got it at least to be passable for my mom with her 60 yr old hearing. It was loud, along with her Onkyo 5.1 AVR and Polk speakers, so she was happy, but after hearing hers, I certainly wouldn't have one, and I will feel forever guilty for selling her on that Monoprice sub. Should've gone with the Dayton.

#10 ·
Jim,

Thanks for all the effort in putting together the budget subwoofer threads.

I'm shopping for a sub and am wanting to stay around $200. Have read all the threads and it seems the Bic F12 is the best bang for the buck. I've been holding off though, hoping to see the PSW505 back on sale in that price range. Anyone know of any smoking deals out there on any of the subs that are normally in the $250 - $300 range? TIA

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU fan /forum/post/21741335

Jim,

Thanks for all the effort in putting together the budget subwoofer threads.

I'm shopping for a sub and am wanting to stay around $200. Have read all the threads and it seems the Bic F12 is the best bang for the buck. I've been holding off though, hoping to see the PSW505 back on sale in that price range. Anyone know of any smoking deals out there on any of the subs that are normally in the $250 - $300 range? TIA

I'm with you, would like to get a 2nd PSW505, but will be holding off for $200 or less.

#13 ·
Jim, thanks so much for the thread! It has made it a lot easier in my search for the perfect sub.

Ok so here's my question. I am about to pull the trigger on a set of Energy Take Classic 5.0's. I'm not sure the size of my living room but it's a rectangle and the TV is in the corner. I was afraid the 5.1's included sub would not be enough for the size of room I have. I am trying to decide between the BIC F12 and the V1020. My question is I have a fiance that doesn't like a lot of bass, so is better to go with the 10" or can I tone down the 12 to get a better range?

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnofx /forum/post/21752659

Ok so here's my question. I am about to pull the trigger on a set of Energy Take Classic 5.0's. I'm not sure the size of my living room but it's a rectangle and the TV is in the corner. I was afraid the 5.1's included sub would not be enough for the size of room I have. I am trying to decide between the BIC F12 and the V1020. My question is I have a fiance that doesn't like a lot of bass, so is better to go with the 10" or can I tone down the 12 to get a better range?

The size of your room is critical to achieving workable performance from a sub, so without knowing that I can't really give much of a recommendation. If you can let me know what the height, width and length is I'll be able to provide some suggestions.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson /forum/post/21755738

The size of your room is critical to achieving workable performance from a sub, so without knowing that I can't really give much of a recommendation. If you can let me know what the height, width and length is I'll be able to provide some suggestions.

HAHA I figured you would ask that so I measured it last night and it is 11Wx17Lx8H. Hopefully this will help! Thanks for your response as well!

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnofx /forum/post/21756046

HAHA I figured you would ask that so I measured it last night and it is 11Wx17Lx8H. Hopefully this will help! Thanks for your response as well!

1500 CF is not a large space, which means you don't necessarily need a big sub to get good sound. What type of budget are you working with? Judging by the two BIC subs you're looking at I can make a guess, but I'd rather be certain.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnofx /forum/post/21762286

I was thinking under 200.

The Energy S10.3 is currently on sale for only $200. That sub would probably satisfy your needs very well. It's only on sale until the 12th though, so you'd have to act fast is this one interests you.

#21 ·
I have the Energy take classic 5.1 with the included 8" sub. It sounds pretty darn good, surprisingly good. Is part of this set up's equation the fact that the other 5 speakers are really going to cut off at a high 110Hz? Are the bigger subs really good at that high end?Maybe your should give it a week or two and see how you like it.

The next question for me is this is in a 22x22x8 room and I am trying to upgrade all speakers so the energy set can go to a living room. I am seriously considering the BIC PL-200 and just saw the Polk PSW 505 in about the same price range and thoughts on the better of these two or other sub $300 12" choices?

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by colohtpc /forum/post/21765939

I have the Energy take classic 5.1 with the included 8" sub. It sounds pretty darn good, surprisingly good. Is part of this set up's equation the fact that the other 5 speakers are really going to cut off at a high 110Hz? Are the bigger subs really good at that high end?Maybe your should give it a week or two and see how you like it.

The next question for me is this is in a 22x22x8 room and I am trying to upgrade all speakers so the energy set can go to a living room. I am seriously considering the BIC PL-200 and just saw the Polk PSW 505 in about the same price range and thoughts on the better of these two or other sub $300 12" choices?

Actually I was going to buy the Take Classic 5.0 set without the Sub due to the fact they are on sale right now in the under 200 range and I would actually end up saving money but having a larger sub to boot.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by colohtpc /forum/post/21765939

You're using an 8" subwoofer in a room that's over 3800 cubic feet? I'm surprised you can even hear it.

Some larger subs can extend well over 100Hz, others can't. It depends upon how they were designed. A lot more of them are able to though, because "lifestyle" speakers -- those that are small/stylish -- are becoming far more prevalent, so the need for a sub to go that high is definitely there.

Between those two subs I'd say the PL-200 is the better choice. The PSW 505 has good output, but it's generally considered to be less than articulate. The PL-200 seems to have more clarity and definition, which is never a bad thing.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson /forum/post/21765871

You're welcome. Did you actually buy the Energy?

I'm sorry Jim, I must have been daydreaming and missed this post from you. I haven't pulled the trigger yet I was waiting till tomorrow to order everything at once, so I missed out on the newegg deal you sent me! I have been watching it on newegg and hoping that they will drop it back down to 200 tomorrow. I did go back and consider the Velo Vx-11 again due to it's 160 range price tag, however it not having feet and foam surround do not impress me. Thus, I am taking your advice and spending 70 more on the Energy.

So tomorrow I get to pull the trigger on a set of Energy Take Classic 5.0's, an Energy S-10.3, and a huge box of goodies from monoprice! This will go along with my Yamaha RX-v671. I have an old pair of JBL HLS810s that I have been using for fronts for years now and I thought about using them with the Energy Take's to have 7.1 but I'm not sure about that yet. What are your thoughts?

PS I really appreciate the help you have provided so far!

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnofx /forum/post/21803661

So tomorrow I get to pull the trigger on a set of Energy Take Classic 5.0's, an Energy S-10.3, and a huge box of goodies from monoprice! This will go along with my Yamaha RX-v671. I have an old pair of JBL HLS810s that I have been using for fronts for years now and I thought about using them with the Energy Take's to have 7.1 but I'm not sure about that yet. What are your thoughts?

Judging by the looks of them I'd say it might be tough to get the integration right. Surrounds are usually not that larger, especially in relation to the other channels, so getting them balanced could prove to be a struggle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnofx /forum/post/21803661

PS I really appreciate the help you have provided so far!

Will you still feel that way if I throw you a curve?
newegg is selling a MartinLogan 5.1 system for $299. That price is only good until the 21st though. The sub is a little weak, so you'll probably still want to consider the Energy, but the other 5 channels are pretty good. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.