So Do I need to trade up? ASW608 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-26-2012, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I purchased this sub about 4 months after I got my Kuro 111fd. That was 3 years ago. I currently do not have a reciever or any kind of HT setp. It's just my TV and sub that is connected directly into the Kuro.

During the course of this year I am planning on making the following purchases in the hopes of finally creating a true HT setup, a Pio VSX-53 or better receiver, Sierra 1 Bookshelf speakers and and Sierra 1 Center. It will mainly be for a 3.1 set up compliment the Kuro.

At the time I bought the sub the company that was selling it was going out of business so I got it for a great price. It sounds great to me and all of my guests that come over, but we are not audiophiles. Will this sub be enough to power my anticpated set up or would I need to purchase one with a little mor umph. BTW is this sub and EQ sub if not what is an EQ sub and are they really necessary.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-26-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
If you are happy with it then you are there but if you want something that will dig deeper with more authority you can get a lot of sub right now for the money from several ID brands . If you decide you want more give room size and what you want out of the next level up plus a budget.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-26-2012, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

15'x20x'10 (lxwxh) I will say that the room is not a perfect square. At the moment, I am happy with it simply because I only have the tv and the sub I have no additional speakers, no receivers etc. However I do plan to make those purchases soon and I was wondering if this sub is enough.3

As far was what I want it to do, well I guess that is the point. I do no know much about this stuff so I can not really tell good from bad. Perhaps you can prescribe some test with some music or sound track that would help me understand a good sounding sub from a bad for perhaps more accurate, what I should look for expect from my sub.

thx
post #4 of 10 Old 02-26-2012, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

First if you want to experience the deep bass in Blu-Rays and some CD/DVD I would invest in a better sub I happen to like what HSU has to offer in there price range.
Also you could look at SVS,Rythmik,Outlaw and Epic you will need to spend around 600 and up some include shipping some not and some add tax at checkout so without a budget its hard to steer you to a precise model or models. But I will start this off with one of my favorite brands in that size room at least a VTF3MK4 from HSU. http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk4.html
post #5 of 10 Old 02-26-2012, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Honestly, I would focus first on getting a decent receiver and then main speakers. Then upgrade the sub later.

$200 or so will get you a good entry level receiver, not knowing your budget or needs.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-26-2012, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

The Pioneer Receiver would cost me at minimum $900, the Sierra 1 Speakers and Center will run me about $1300.

The ASW608 ran me $400, I needed a more powerful sub, I guess I could sell the ASW608 and $200 and perhps purchase a new sub for around $500-$600. Only if it was recommend by some on the board.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-26-2012, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Just an opinion, but I would go with a Denon or Marantz over the Pioneer. I have always had pioneer receivers and I was just about to pull the trigger on a VSX 52 or 53 and went with the Denon and I am glad I did. For that money you could get in a Denon 3312 with Audyssey DSX. As far as the sub, It is always fun to upgrade! Sounds like you want a little more and really only you can decide if you want more sub. However a good $500 or $600 12" sub would really give you so much more. It is a tough decision to pick a sub considering there are so many and so many fans. Now you could just add another of the same and have dual subs or just replace it with a larger sub!

My System

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My dedicated theater room build. 

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-26-2012, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamina1914 View Post

The Pioneer Receiver would cost me at minimum $900, the Sierra 1 Speakers and Center will run me about $1300.

The ASW608 ran me $400, I needed a more powerful sub, I guess I could sell the ASW608 and $200 and perhps purchase a new sub for around $500-$600. Only if it was recommend by some on the board.

Just my opinion, but I would spend about half hat on a receiver and put more towards a subwoofer. The Sierra 1's are a fine choice.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-28-2012, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Just my opinion, but I would spend about half hat on a receiver and put more towards a subwoofer. The Sierra 1's are a fine choice.

Can you or anyone else talk about this in more detail.......spend more money on the sub receiver.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-28-2012, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Honestly if you get the equipment you listed plus the sub your movie and music experience would be great you have to start somewhere and these prices will not stay cheap or as cheap as they are now.
The speakers you chose will sound great the receiver would be a personal choice get out and look at them in the stores see if you can play with the remote look at ease of use or the one you feel comfortable with they all have room correction but only Audyssey will do Sub eq some like it some feel it does not work for them.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page