post #92 of 104 Old 03-08-2012, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

.......you should be hitting 125 to 130db peaks in the current room with the cap pair instead of 110 to 115db.

If you don't have a setup issue then you better just try to place a single captivator in the optimal corner of each of your favorite rooms, or check yourself into an institution. ;p

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Son View Post

....... I was pegging the RS SPL meter on the 120dB setting, fast response, at 9 feet. The clip lights were lighting up really bright on all the heavy thumps.

So it looks like I am capable of max SPL out of them with these amps. I don’t like the idea of hitting the clip lights though........

This is why I wonder if smoothing the response (more subs) is a better option than just increasing the SPL. If I get another pair and place them correctly to smooth response, they will probably be in other rooms. Since I don't have any trouble with the mains being loud enough ANYwhere, perhaps this is a better solution than going bigger. A sub in the bedroom and one either in the LR or foyer might not only smooth levels, but also increase SPL just because of proximity.
post #93 of 104 Old 03-08-2012, 05:18 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Personally I think:
1 you still have a setup problem. How can I easily hear my pair of captivators all throughout my house, upstairs, and outdoors all on 1/2 of the amplifier setup?
2 if you don't have a setup problem your expectations are crazy...no...insane.
3.Orbit shifters can actually do damage to your house and your electronics. They take pleasure in breaking things like tile grout, light bulb filaments, projectors, dvd players, bluray players, etc. Ask me how I know. If you plan on running a pair at full tilt in one room so you can attempt intoxicating levels of bass throughout your entire house you're crazy and they make medicine for your sort. They also make multizone receivers and whole house home audio setups to do what you want more or less without inviting a wrecking ball into your house which is the part the orbit shifters like to play at max volumes!

I still think there is a setup issue. If you buy the orbit shifters and you hit 120db instead of the 115db you still have no less a setup issue because you should be hitting 125 to 130db peaks in the current room with the cap pair instead of 110 to 115db.

If you don't have a setup issue then you better just try to place a single captivator in the optimal corner of each of your favorite rooms, or check yourself into an institution. ;p

Good luck!

Why you have to open your mouth. I wanted to see those orbit shifters go in! I also wanted to see the effects of bass damage! (lol, "quad damage" from quake 3 arena just popped into my head)
post #94 of 104 Old 03-08-2012, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Personally I think:
1 you still have a setup problem. How can I easily hear my pair of captivators all throughout my house, upstairs, and outdoors all on 1/2 of the amplifier setup?
3.Orbit shifters can actually do damage to your house and your electronics. They take pleasure in breaking things like tile grout, light bulb filaments, projectors, dvd players, bluray players, etc. Ask me how I know. If you plan on running a pair at full tilt in one room so you can attempt intoxicating levels of bass throughout your entire house you're crazy and they make medicine for your sort. They also make multizone receivers and whole house home audio setups to do what you want more or less without inviting a wrecking ball into your house which is the part the orbit shifters like to play at max volumes!

I still think there is a setup issue. If you buy the orbit shifters and you hit 120db instead of the 115db you still have no less a setup issue because you should be hitting 125 to 130db peaks in the current room with the cap pair instead of 110 to 115db.

Good luck!

God I love this post. But, most of all I love this line "if you plan on running a pair at full tilt in one room so you can attempt intoxicating levels of bass throughout your entire house you're crazy and they make medicine for your sort."

Panasonic P60ST50-Yamaha RX-V467 receiver-Sony PS3-Velodyne SMS-1-Canton 430 mains, 455 center and 402 surrounds-Rythmik FV15HP subwoofer- Pro-ject Debut III turntable- I also have a pair of Mark K's DIY design, the ER18DXT's
My humble entertainment room
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1417652/midwest...
post #95 of 104 Old 03-08-2012, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 93
The system you are listening to should be in the same room you are. Basically you are listening to all reflected sounds with no direct sound from the point source. Kind of like spending a bunch of moulah for prime concert tickets, and listening to the show in the parking lot.
post #96 of 104 Old 03-08-2012, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Kamp View Post

The system you are listening to should be in the same room you are. Basically you are listening to all reflected sounds with no direct sound from the point source. Kind of like spending a bunch of moulah for prime concert tickets, and listening to the show in the parking lot.

I don't disagree, except that it's more like the beer stand than the parking lot.

But I do have those times when I listen to music in the same room. Just not at 120dB. When I want to do that, I usually use my HT setup.
post #97 of 104 Old 03-08-2012, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here's my layout. At the top, off the sketch, are 2 bedrooms with a bathroom in between. Off the bottom is the garage (door is next to the pantry). All the red Xes are alternate locations where a sub location is possible. I can stack 2 at the red X in the music room.

I don't use the master bath to shower because it only has a jacuzzi and a small stall shower.
LL
post #98 of 104 Old 03-08-2012, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:

I don't disagree, except that it's more like the beer stand than the parking lot.

But I do have those times when I listen to music in the same room. Just not at 120dB. When I want to do that, I usually use my HT setup.

Well I think both of your systems are killer, just a bit baffled by this idea of placing subs around the house to augment the mains in another room.

If you have an attic above that floor, could look into putting a few infinite baffles around the house. Anyways I wish you the best of luck in finding your house filling bass bliss.
post #99 of 104 Old 03-08-2012, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Kamp View Post

Well I think both of your systems are killer, just a bit baffled by this idea of placing subs around the house to augment the mains in another room.

If you have an attic above that floor, could look into putting a few infinite baffles around the house. Anyways I wish you the best of luck in finding your house filling bass bliss.

Good point!! I was thinking -- smooth the response. So you're more for the higher SPL of the OS, and disregard smoothing the frequency respone because of my application??

The reason I'm in for a killer music system is so I don't have to install a whole-house system. I guess more Caps in other rooms is leaning towards that though, isn't it? I'm not really interested in multi-zoning my house.

I just want loud and rockin'.

Oh....and Thank You! My HT setup isn't so killer to me anymore, though. Not since I got the JTRs. Now I want 7.2 T12/Orbit Shifers for my HT. (even knowing that S8s are perfectly suited for surrounds) Too bad I don't have a dedicated HT , or I'd probably have something along those lines.
post #100 of 104 Old 03-09-2012, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:

Personally I think:

Good luck!

^^ That is funny...

It is also hilarious that you would be counseling someone about excessive bass .

I remember Jeff telling me that two OS's would be "all the bass I would ever need" and would be a permanent cure for up-gradeitis. At the time, I had dual passive Captivators (previous PR version) and dual Danley TH-SPUDS under my 2nd row riser. That was a lot of bass but the OS's are really in a whole nuther category.

I bumped the amp level one click on both OS's last night and checked the SPL with the test tones in my Integra (80.3). That put the OS's at approx 80db with the rest of the speakers @ 76db. I played some demo movie clips (WOTW, FOTP) at -8 MV on the Integra and my hair was being blown back from the bass pulses(12' from the subs). It was a weird feeling like the air was full of static electricity and the entire room was shaking violently. That was running the OS's 4db hot at approx -7 reference so they had a lot more to give. I didn't check the SPL at the LP but it was way more than I needed or wanted.

So the bottom line is I concur ... these things are just crazy for most HT environs and they really need a huge space to be able to use all of the available output. In my little 3600'^3 HT, I would likely be just as happy with a pair of Cap S's.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #101 of 104 Old 03-14-2012, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

OK....here's my final decision.

Since the Captivators are sufficient 90-95% of the time, there's no need in upgrading to a pair of Orbit Shifter Pros and I need to focus more on improving what I have.

I just bought the last pair of 2011 Captivators. They'll aid in smoothing the response, with the added benefit of a few more dB. Jeff says it'll be much more than a few dB depending on placement, so it looks like I'm killing 2 birds at once.

So here we go!!! Quad Captivators, ~8k cuft.
post #102 of 104 Old 03-14-2012, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 471
cho chooo's a coming!

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

post #103 of 104 Old 03-14-2012, 10:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Sonos!
post #104 of 104 Old 03-15-2012, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:

OK....here's my final decision.

Since the Captivators are sufficient 90-95% of the time, there's no need in upgrading to a pair of Orbit Shifter Pros and I need to focus more on improving what I have.

I just bought the last pair of 2011 Captivators. They'll aid in smoothing the response, with the added benefit of a few more dB. Jeff says it'll be much more than a few dB depending on placement, so it looks like I'm killing 2 birds at once.

So here we go!!! Quad Captivators, ~8k cuft.

Well played sir ... I'd like to hear your system outdoors . For that matter, I'd like to hear my system outdoors.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page