Audyssey MuiltEQ...issues(Denon 1910) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-03-2012, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have been running my MultiEQ this morning and have run across some issues.
1. It is trying to repeatedly set my Onix -xls bookshelves at 40Hz x-over?!
2. Even with my SVS PB12-NSD's gain knob at ~10:30 position it is setting it to -12dB
3. It is seeting the LFE x-over at 100Hz(while doing the 5 speakers at 40hz)?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-03-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 635
1. It generally chooses what it feels should be the lowest crossover point. I'd try 60 or 80hz with those speakers, whichever sounds best to you.

2. Don't worry about what number shows on the SVS's gain/volume knob dial. Your goal is to calibrate the sub properly with the receiver. Turn it low enough so that the sub channel/trim level reported by Audyssey is close to 0 ( I aim for -3db to 0). Repeat until you get that, even if you have to turn it much lower than you think (so don't think about that). Then don't adjust that knob again. Turn up/down the trim level for the sub on the receiver if you want more/less sub output.

3. The sub LFE setting on your receiver should be at 120hz.

post #3 of 13 Old 03-03-2012, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks!
1. They sound much better up at 80Hz, even 100Hz.
2. Ok, I will rerun it after I turn the knob back down to say 9 position.
3. This I could use some knowledge on....if I set LFE to 120Hz, do I not want my speakers to be crossed at 120Hz?
post #4 of 13 Old 03-03-2012, 09:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

1. Definitely. Whatever sounds best to you. And make certain you have the fronts set on small.

2. And rerun it again if you have to, adjusting it further, until it gets to that -3db to 0 range. Don't hedge on this. That optimizes the sensitivity of the sub amplifier for the audio signal coming from the receiver. It will provide richer, more nuanced bass.

3. The LFE is just for the LFE channel (the .1 in 5.1). That should all go to the sub set at 120hz.

See batpig's Denon and Audyssey guides. He's the Denon expert on AVS, and those guides are VERY helpful for understanding the configuration settings on your receiver. Will answer a lot of questions for you

post #5 of 13 Old 03-03-2012, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I ran it again with the knob at ~9 o'clock position and it is now set to -3dB on my Denon.
I set the LFE for 120Hz. I set the speakers for 80Hz x-over. I set the speakers to small( I actually knew this one )

I was running the sub hot, not sure how much so, but the output at the same dB level(from AVR) is definitely lower now, which should lead to ideal blending. I do however seem to like a little hot, so I may bump the dB level for the sub on my Denon up a little.

I will now go study the guides.....thank you cel!!
post #6 of 13 Old 03-03-2012, 09:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S View Post

I ran it again with the knob at ~9 o'clock position and it is now set to -3dB on my Denon.
I set the LFE for 120Hz. I set the speakers for 80Hz x-over. I set the speakers to small( I actually knew this one )

I was running the sub hot, not sure how much so, but the output at the same dB level(from AVR) is definitely lower now, which should lead to ideal blending. I do however seem to like a little hot, so I may bump the dB level for the sub on my Denon up a little.

I will now go study the guides.....thank you cel!!

Sounds like you might not need the guides for the sub setup now, but batpig does walk you through all kinds of configuration settings on your receiver. Could be a help

BTW: How does the sub sound now that it's setup better?

post #7 of 13 Old 03-03-2012, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Sounds like you might not need the guides for the sub setup now, but batpig does walk you through all kinds of configuration settings on your receiver. Could be a help

BTW: How does the sub sound now that it's setup better?

It sounds extremely similar(which is great) just with less output at same volume level. I just tested that dumb rap song my buddy had me play before and I pushed the sub to 0dB(3dB hot) and that is more to my preference. Now with tv(live free or die hard on right now) I like it down lower, I think.
I definitely like a slightly bass heavy sound, but don't like muddied at all.

My question now is, does a higher LFE setting also send non LFE through the sub? I seem to be hearing muffled voices now through the sub which I didn't before. Seems strange? The speakers x-over point also sets the subs x-over point, no?
post #8 of 13 Old 03-03-2012, 09:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It sounds extremely similar(which is great) just with less output at same volume level. I just tested that dumb rap song my buddy had me play before and I pushed the sub to 0dB(3dB hot) and that is more to my preference. Now with tv(live free or die hard on right now) I like it down lower, I think.
I definitely like a slightly bass heavy sound, but don't like muddied at all.

My question now is, does a higher LFE setting also send non LFE through the sub? I seem to be hearing muffled voices now through the sub which I didn't before. Seems strange?

That LFE setting is only for the .1 channel on 5.1 audio. Leave it at 120hz; that channel is meant for the sub. The crossover you set for each speaker controls what goes to the sub and what goes to the speaker. Incidentally, on my older Denon AVR 888, it defaults to one crossover setting for all the speakers. I have to switch it to advanced to allow me to set the L/R, center, and rears separately. Not sure about your Denon.

So I have my towers set to 60hz, my center to 80hz, and my small rears to 90hz. Figure out whichever works best for you.

post #9 of 13 Old 03-03-2012, 09:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

My question now is, does a higher LFE setting also send non LFE through the sub? I seem to be hearing muffled voices now through the sub which I didn't before. Seems strange? The speakers x-over point also sets the subs x-over point, no?

It shouldn't. The LPF of LFE setting is applied to the LFE channel only. The LFE channel is a specifically encoded channel that can contain info as high as 120Hz. The LPF of LFE setting is completely independent of the speaker channel crossover settings. So, just for example, with the LPF of LFE set to 120Hz but a speaker channel's crossover set to 40Hz, the LFE channel info all the way up to 120Hz is sent to the sub but only the speaker channel bass below 40Hz is sent to the sub.

2-channel music contains no LFE channel, btw.

(oops, cel4145 posted while I was composing )

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #10 of 13 Old 03-03-2012, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It was in advanced already, at least post-Audyssey, which is why I could set them differently if wanted but they are all the same speaker. They are bookshelves with 6.5" woofers(onix x-ls). 80Hz seems to be there sweet point.

On a side note, the voices were just on a commercial break, once the movie came back on everything sounded normal.(as far as voices through sub were gone)

What do they call the lower frequencies for music if not LFE?

Thanks again!
post #11 of 13 Old 03-03-2012, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

lower frequencies

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #12 of 13 Old 03-03-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:

Low(er)-frequency audio exclusive to the LFE channel = Low-Frequency Effects. Everything else is "just" bass.
post #13 of 13 Old 03-03-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

On a side note, the voices were just on a commercial break, once the movie came back on everything sounded normal.(as far as voices through sub were gone)

That can be bad audio mix on the commercials. Or, I've noticed that when watching 5.1 on HD channels, some commercials are in just 2.0.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page