Sorry - recommendations needed - dual situations - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-03-2012, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK - so I first apologize for the lame MS paint diagrams of the two rooms I drew. One of the various reasons I am not an architect.

The deal. At my primary house, my family room is my media room. I currently have the following:

Onkyo NR901 (soon to be replaced by the NR809)
Aperion Versus Grand Towers
Aperion Versus Grand Center
Aperion Versus Surrounds DP/BP
HSU STF-2

You can see the setup in the first attachment. The room is 14.5 long by about 14 wide, but it opens to a large kitchen that is another 17 feet deep. Those rooms have a 8' ceiling. The room has hardwood floors with a crawlspace underneath. I have really enjoyed the HSU, and did not think I was going to upgrade until something happened - we bought a vacation home in AZ (we normally live in Seattle, so you can probably figure out why).

I wanted a dedicated HT room in AZ, but it sadly did not work out that way. In consideration, however, the wife has been pretty lenient about the cost factor of the items I will be buying for the setup in AZ and any upgrading at home (thus the Aperion setup).

The room situation is a little odd in AZ in that the TV will be on a wall with "nooks" and there is no nook for a sub and no room in front of the wall because the path from the kitchen to the bathroom goes right in front of that wall (you can see the opening at the top of the image where the bath is). With the couch we have, it appears the only option for the sub is where I have it in the picture. That room is about 17 long by 12 wide, open to the kitchen and a nook which adds about another 7 feet of depth. The room has 9' ceilings. The room is carpet and on a slab. The second attachment shows that room.

At the AZ house, I am thinking either the Onkyo 609 or 709. There is a 5 speaker in ceiling system already in place. I do not know the quality of the speakers in the ceiling (have not had a chance to pull the grates off).

The sub choices out there at various price ranges are crazy and, in the research I have done on this board, it seems you can always go another $100 or so to the next model up. I say that only because, as noted above, my budgets are not totally set in stone (but certainly not unlimited!).

For the AZ house, considering we are going to be there only about 4-6 weeks per year for the next 5 years or so, I certainly do not need something ultra expensive, but definitely want the space filled. I would like to spend $300-$400 with a max of $500 (if it's worth it) for that house. We are going down the last two weeks of this month and I am going to put off buying a TV and DVD player until the summer to spread the costs out a little (we have A LOT of furniture to buy). We are probably looking at 50/50 movies/music here.

For my home in Seattle, in upgrading, I am looking at around $600-700. HOWEVER, if I am not doing my Aperions justice with that level, I could probably approach $1000, especially if I work the "I didnt get my dedicated HT" card with my wife. The split at my primary home is more like 75/25 movies/music.

Options I am thinking:

1. Buy two subs - one for AZ and one for home, thereby having two subs at home (would definitely want some thoughts on which sub to put where based on the diagram for dual sub configuration). I would keep the HSU in Seattle.

2. Buy two subs but sell the HSU with the point being I could probably go a little higher cost on the sub for my main house.

3. Move the STF-2 to AZ and put all the money (would be much easier $1000 justification) into one sub for my main house.

4. Move the STF-2 to AZ and buy 2 subs for the main house totalling under $1000.

I just saw that the Energy S10.3 is on sale at Newegg for $200. I also see the BIC PL200 for about $100 more and the Klipch RW-D10 for about the same as the BIC. Then there is the RW-D12 for another $100 more than the BIC. This is obviously for AZ or the dual-sub option in Seattle.

For the Seattle house, there are the HSU VTF-2/3/15 options, the SVS PB12-NSD, the Rythmik 12 or 15, and I know a bunch more. Obviously the room is a little smaller, and I do not want to overpower the room (if that is possible).

Sorry for the long post, I apologize if I missed anything, and thanks in advance for the advice!
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-04-2012, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 276
I know myself I would certainly have my best at home, it is not like you are spending the winter there. I would go simple, get a Denon 1912 over the 609 and get a simple sub set up like two Bic F12's or a Klipsh rw-12 or step up to an Outlaw LFM-1 plus or epik legend. Considering if you a have a pool at this home, you may be outside most of the time. You may want to consider a nice outdoor system.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-04-2012, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I totally agree with reef. I would totally concentrate everything on my main home. The month your at the vaca house doesn't justify that big Of a purchase unless you have money to burn, and judging by your post, you don't.

Sending you a PM
post #4 of 13 Old 03-04-2012, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Color me lost, although I do totally agree to put the $$ at my main house - thus the move to the 809, having the Aperion setup there, and looking to potentially spend $1K on a sub.

I am confused. Reef - were your suggestions for the AZ house? My post was a bit long and verbose, sorry for that. But a 609 refurb is $320 while the Denon 1912 is about $479. Also, the subs your recommend are anywhere from $400 for two BICs to $500. If I move the capable HSU to AZ, I can put the entire $1K toward a sub set up in Seattle.

I apologize if my post did not make sense and that I am not quite understanding your recommendations. Thanks for responding!
post #5 of 13 Old 03-04-2012, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

I was going to add that although I am sure they are builder grade in ceiling speakers, someone did have the aforethought to put a couple in the ceiling above the outdoor patio. No pool - yet, but we will be spending a great deal of time outside when we are there.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-04-2012, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

So I am going to put a summary here because I think my post is too confusing. I really would like some help from the gurus on this board as I am lost in the sub area especially with the individual setups I have. I have done a lot of research on this board, but every thread seems to bring up yet another sub choice!

Seattle (primary residence):

AVR: will be ordering the Onkyo 809 to replace the 901 I have

Split: 75 movies / 25 music

Speakers: Aperion Versus line

Sub: currently the HSU STF-2 but am looking at going to a 2 sub set or one larger sub

Sub budget: $750-$1K (could also add in $$ if I sell the HSU)

-----

AZ house (4-6 weeks per year):

AVR: looking at the 609 or 709 (budget - $300-$500)

Split: 50 movies / 50 music (once I get a TV, which will be this summer)

Speakers: currently a 5 speaker in-ceiling builder grade system

Sub: None yet.

Sub budget: $200-$500 with consideration that I could move the STF-2 here or spend less and use the balance in Seattle

I hope that helps clarify things a little. Again - really looking for some help!
post #7 of 13 Old 03-04-2012, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I would move your current sub to the vacation home and get a VTF3MK4 for the main house.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-05-2012, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response oztech!

Seeing that you are a VTF15 owner, what are your thoughts on the additional $220 for a VTF15 over the VTF3? Is the size of my space not enough to justify the extra $$ (about 3000 cubic feet which includes the open kitchen next to the media room)?
post #9 of 13 Old 03-05-2012, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcastle View Post

Thanks for the response oztech!

Seeing that you are a VTF15 owner, what are your thoughts on the additional $220 for a VTF15 over the VTF3? Is the size of my space not enough to justify the extra $$ (about 3000 cubic feet which includes the open kitchen next to the media room)?

I was trying to stay within your budget the VTF-15H in my opinion its worth every penny this thing performs great both output and extension and my wants for a sub that works great for music and in that department I am very diversified with everything from The Beatles, Johnny Cash and Vavaldi and in between. I have been going through my movie and music collection and get a smile every time if you can swing it by all means get one.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-05-2012, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply! I am seriously considering the VTF15, although I appreciate the budget consideration. If I take the STF-2 with me to AZ, I think I could get away with the VTF15 cost.
post #11 of 13 Old 03-05-2012, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcastle View Post

Thanks for the reply! I am seriously considering the VTF15, although I appreciate the budget consideration. If I take the STF-2 with me to AZ, I think I could get away with the VTF15 cost.

Go big or go home

As a very happy owner of a VTF-15H, I think you will love this subwoofer. An amazing value when you factor in all the tuning options.
post #12 of 13 Old 03-06-2012, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

[quote=ack_bk;21740313]Go big or go home

QUOTE]

Very good motto.
post #13 of 13 Old 03-06-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Go big or go home

As a very happy owner of a VTF-15H, I think you will love this subwoofer. An amazing value when you factor in all the tuning options.

Same here it has satisfied my sub need in every aspect and it is one of the nicest looking subs.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page