Measuring the 'Tactile Feeling' of your sub system - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 96 Old 12-20-2012, 07:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 471
I neighbor complaining sucks! He probably hates movies and doesn't like anyone else to enjoy them as well. If he does enjoy movies just invite him over for movies and he won't care anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 96 Old 12-20-2012, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I'm envying you guys so hard right now. Reading through this thread just makes me want to drop my savings into new subs.

I can't though! Stuck in an apartment at the moment. One day though, I hope to flex my neighbors' ceilings..

post #93 of 96 Old 12-20-2012, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post

Indeed...smile.gif
The fact that my neighbor calls just about with every movie played shows how powerful this sub is in the LF & ULF...too many new toys at the moment but I will get to it! BTW, I need you to measure the tactile feeling of the KING the next time you are over.cool.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post

Not quite...tongue.gif
His latest comment is that he is afraid that his windows are going to shatter due to the flexing caused by the subwoofer. His window is about 35' from my sub...

That's what we need to do...

Measure the vibration at his house with the Vibration Meter app for Android! That would be pretty cool. Remember it's scale?:

1.0 - Instrumental. Felt by animals
2.0 - Weak. Felt indoors by a few people
3.0 - Slight. Felt indoors by several
4.0 - Moderate. Hanging objects swing
5.0 - Rather Strong. Dishes broken
6.0 - Strong. Heavy furniture moved
7.0 - Very Strong. Difficult to stand
8.0 - Destructive. Fall of walls
9.0 - Violent. Noticeable ground cracks
10.0 - Intense. Almost destroyed
11.0 - Extreme. Rails bent greatly
12.0 - Cataclysmic. Total destruction

If it were in the 4-5 range on the app...he may have a strong case to be pretty annoyed! eek.gif

post #94 of 96 Old 12-21-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 132
^^
I really think he would be up for it!!! eek.gif
post #95 of 96 Old 05-06-2013, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

I prefer my concrete floors over my wooden riser for the back row of seats. The wooden floors are more tactile but with the concrete floors you feel all of the bass on you and your chair. When the floor resonance it takes away some of that sensation. Pressurizing every seat is easy in my room. Or course all the bass is from waves and not the subs which are on the concrete floor(carpet).

MK, do you have an Andriod phone or have access to one? I'd love to see what level you'd hit on the Richter scale.

Actually, that goes to anyone following (Craig John, Carp, Archaea, etc.). I'd really like to see what others are getting on an 'earthquake' scale. It's a free app. Maybe there's also one for the iPhone...

I just tested tonight with the app on my Kindle. I got 6 on the MMI scale at -5 on the AVR at my MLP with my buttkickers on their normal "lower" levels. My subs were about 6dB hot. The highest I've seen it hit in my louder demo sessions at reference or maybe a hair louder with the transducers was 8.1 at the main listening position. Which is rated as destructive. My kids were in the room and my wife just came home - so I won't get to test further tonight - but I'll hopefully play around with a bit more in the future. This is a cool thread and a good idea.

The one concern I have with this app is that it is reliant on the sensors on the device and those would have variance. My friend loaded it up on his phone at work and just sitting on the same table his phone and my kindle were reading .5 to 1 level off of each other all the time before any calibration. My Kindle was reading higher than his Galaxy Android phone. I guess not much can be done about that. It's just for fun really anyway.

I'm sorry for taking so long in making a response here. I hadn't kept up in the thread and missed your request to have me post my numbers. In fact I forgot about this thread until I was recently trying to figure out how to potentially parametric EQ my transducers. (a failed experiment with the transducers I have)

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #96 of 96 Old 05-08-2013, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

I just tested tonight with the app on my Kindle. I got 6 on the MMI scale at -5 on the AVR at my MLP with my buttkickers on their normal "lower" levels. My subs were about 6dB hot. The highest I've seen it hit in my louder demo sessions at reference or maybe a hair louder with the transducers was 8.1 at the main listening position. Which is rated as destructive. My kids were in the room and my wife just came home - so I won't get to test further tonight - but I'll hopefully play around with a bit more in the future. This is a cool thread and a good idea.

The one concern I have with this app is that it is reliant on the sensors on the device and those would have variance. My friend loaded it up on his phone at work and just sitting on the same table his phone and my kindle were reading .5 to 1 level off of each other all the time before any calibration. My Kindle was reading higher than his Galaxy Android phone. I guess not much can be done about that. It's just for fun really anyway.

I'm sorry for taking so long in making a response here. I hadn't kept up in the thread and missed your request to have me post my numbers. In fact I forgot about this thread until I was recently trying to figure out how to potentially parametric EQ my transducers. (a failed experiment with the transducers I have)

Thanks Archaea for reviving this thread!

Try calibrating via the link below:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1398473/measuring-the-tactile-feeling-of-your-sub-system/30#post_22109132

Again, more art than science, but this should get everyone a little bit closer.

I'll be updating my tactile response in the upcoming days. I'll compare the natural shake of my FV15HP on concrete floors vs my Clark Synthesis transducers mounted directly to my HT seats.

I really need to push this developer to the iOS platform so that we can get more folks to participate! 

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page