Sub Recommendation - Small Room - Two less expensive subs or JL F112 or Other? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 40 Old 03-09-2012, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb540 View Post

if you haven't heard of those theories, you are in the dark. they don't have anything to do with audio. it was silly sarcasm. some people around here like to drop names, quote papers of theories who most of us haven't heard of, and then try to make you feel little or uninformed because of it. As was the case earlier in this thread.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 03-09-2012, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post

Point taken, i apologize for the manner in which i spoke. Here is the paper that i was speaking about. Some of it goes way over my head , but the meat of it i got. If i didnt get such great results i would get all fired up over it. It works and adds more clearity to inproving performence

I'm going to read that and see what they have to say. Could prove interesting.

As a side note... we should probably desist from furthering this part of the conversation. I think we may have inadvertently hijacked elee532's thread.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #33 of 40 Old 03-09-2012, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Since we are a bit off-topic, re. Antimode etc. and room modes...

Peaks tend to be less severe in magnitude and can often be reduced by EQ. The main problem is they are very location-sensitive so fixing the response for several listening positions is often impractical. You (they) compromise and you live with it.

Nulls due to cancellation can be very deep and thus quite hard to fix with EQ alone, impractical in most cases. The usual solution is to move or live with them (narrow notches we tend to not really hear).

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #34 of 40 Old 03-09-2012, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
No worries about thread hijacking. I don't mind reading through some of these other interesting posts. :-)

I do have a few more questions though...

First, I am definitely intrigued by the OmniMic device. Is it true this is much easier to use than REW? Currently, I use REW with my laptop, an external USB sound card, and go through all this level balancing, etc every time I want to take som readings. The OmniMic looks a whole lot more straightforward (albeit at a higher cost). Comments?

I am leaning towards 2 x 12" subs right now. The F12 and the SB12-NSD are both strong contenders. Any recommendations on good musical downfiring 12" subs in my price range that I should consider?

Setting price aside, how would 2 x JL F112 subs compare with 2 F12 subs or 2 SB12-NSD subs?
post #35 of 40 Old 03-09-2012, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
2 JL F112s would absolutely crush that room for music. But they do appear to roll off pretty quickly below 30Hz.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...iew_fullscreen

As far as a comparison, the F112 is over 3 times heavier than the SB12-NSD, has more than 3x as powerful amp, and is more than 3x the price. I think you can extrapolate about how the two would compare without having both of them in the same room, although it looks like both the F12 and the SB12-NSD both might go farther into the lower frequencies before they roll off than the F112.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...struction.html

http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/sealed-box/sb12-nsd

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F12_specs.html
post #36 of 40 Old 03-09-2012, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 99
if two f112's are on the table I would look into dual hsu uls-15's or dual svs sb13's and save some dough.

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #37 of 40 Old 03-09-2012, 06:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

if two f112's are on the table I would look into dual hsu uls-15's or dual svs sb13's and save some dough.

More importantly, the Hsu's will provide deeper extension than the F112's.

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #38 of 40 Old 03-09-2012, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Dual F15's or a seaton submersive. If you listen loud I would go as big as you can. So if your budget is $2000...I wouldn't get the F12's. I'm sure they would do well, but extra head room doesn't hurt, especially for some of the movies out there. Don often says that people "don't need" as much subs as they get and would rather have smaller multiples than one large one. I feel this is him justifying his purchase(as we all do) of the smaller subs in the line-up and he may not listen really really loud. And if this were true...some very well respected member wouldn't have multiple submersives or caps. I'm from the school of buying big and adding a second later vs. buying smaller @2.

Your room is smaller, mine is large so I have different needs.
Will your subs always be in a room that size or will you be moving within 5 years? I would be F15@2 or submersive @1 would both pretty awesome in that size room.

With all that... you have a nice budget for that size room and I think you will be a happy man very shortly.

Panasonic P60ST50-Yamaha RX-V467 receiver-Sony PS3-Velodyne SMS-1-Canton 430 mains, 455 center and 402 surrounds-Rythmik FV15HP subwoofer- Pro-ject Debut III turntable- I also have a pair of Mark K's DIY design, the ER18DXT's
My humble entertainment room
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1417652/midwest...
post #39 of 40 Old 03-10-2012, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
So, the only reason the F112 was an option because I found one used for $1,700. My though was if it was head and shoulders above some of the other options, I would grab it and maybe pick-up a second one some day down the road. It's room optimization function and small size were also appealing to me.

The Seaton seems just a bit two large for my space.

At this point, I think I'm mostly struggling to decide whether I need to spend the exta cash to go with two 15" subs or whether two 12" subs would meet my needs. Any opinions on this matter? I am also thinking, if I end up going Rythmik, I might have Jim Salk build them to match my SongTowers.
post #40 of 40 Old 03-10-2012, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by elee532 View Post

So, the only reason the F112 was an option because I found one used for $1,700. My though was if it was head and shoulders above some of the other options, I would grab it and maybe pick-up a second one some day down the road. It's room optimization function and small size were also appealing to me.

The Seaton seems just a bit two large for my space.

At this point, I think I'm mostly struggling to decide whether I need to spend the exta cash to go with two 15" subs or whether two 12" subs would meet my needs. Any opinions on this matter? I am also thinking, if I end up going Rythmik, I might have Jim Salk build them to match my SongTowers.

well now. if you already have songtowers I would most definitely have Jim make you somthing.

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page