How much should I pay for this HSU VTF-3 MK 3? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-07-2012, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys,

I'll try to keep this short because i've already researched myself to death. I found this HSU VTF-3 MK3 on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160751807159...#ht_500wt_1143

I'm wondering
1. how much MAX should I pay for it?
2. If this crack in the joint is going to be an issue?

I messaged the buyer about taking better pics of the crack and asked if there was air leaking out of it at high volume etc. but he's obviously not an audiophile and answers me with single sentences that are pretty much worthless. This sub was from a "waterfront estate" and I'm wondering if humidity would have anything to do with the paint cracking etc.
I called HSU and they told me that I most definitely the amplifier would be out of warranty and to replace it, i'd have to buy a MK IV amp for $300 if that were the case.

I'm newish here and i'm not sure if this type of stuff goes on, but please don't look at this auction and try and outbid me because you want this sub.

My other alternative is to just buy a new MK IV or i'm considering an Outlaw LFM-1 EX or a SVS PB12-NSD. The bass quality is the most important factor to me, I want precision and musicality with depth. I looked at the Rythmik FV12 and i'm intrigued by the Servo Technology, but it seems like a big risk if I don't like the sound of it. I know there are a lot of opinions out there, so feel free to express them. I really would like to know about the how the Rythmik's and SVS compare to HSU and Outlaw in musicality. I want clean, deep, full bass at low levels. My budget is $800 Firm, room size 4000 Cubic Ft. and it's for 45% music 55% HT.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-07-2012, 11:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
It's basically $100 to ship. I wouldn't go a penny over $500 shipped.

Furthermore, for $500... I'd buy a new subwoofer over this water estate hairline cracked sub.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-07-2012, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 438
For a VTF3 mk3 in good working condition but not the greatest cosmetic shape, I think $350 to $400 max is about right. Hsu subs tend to get a lot of bids though, so I don't think that auction will end that low. I wouldn't count on getting that sub for less than $500 shipped, so don't get your hopes up. If I were you I would just go for a new mk4. I think Hsu now sells extended warranties on their amps too, I don't know how much that is, but for peace of mind it might be worth upgrading to that, considering that a new amp goes for $300.
post #4 of 9 Old 03-07-2012, 11:52 PM
Advanced Member

You're wasting too much of your precious time NOT having a sub IMHO, you should consider buying a brand new HSU VTF-3 MK4 and be done with it - you'll end up with tons of happy times and peace of mind with a decent warranty.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-08-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse99 View Post

You're wasting too much of your precious time NOT having a sub IMHO, you should consider buying a brand new HSU VTF-3 MK4 and be done with it - you'll end up with tons of happy times and peace of mind with a decent warranty.

^^^ this
post #6 of 9 Old 03-08-2012, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

For a VTF3 mk3 in good working condition but not the greatest cosmetic shape, I think $350 to $400 max is about right. Hsu subs tend to get a lot of bids though, so I don't think that auction will end that low. I wouldn't count on getting that sub for less than $500 shipped, so don't get your hopes up. If I were you I would just go for a new mk4. I think Hsu now sells extended warranties on their amps too, I don't know how much that is, but for peace of mind it might be worth upgrading to that, considering that a new amp goes for $300.

Thanks shadyJ

I've read a lot of your posts. I especially enjoyed your comparison of the Rythmik FV12, so thank you. It got me thinking about Rythmik's Servos. If you were me with my goal for clean, deep and musical bass, between all those subs, would you still go with HSU? Would you buy the FV12? What about an SVS pb12-nsd, or the ED A3-300?. I like the SVS, because it's looks to be very flat in it's freq response, maybe not as musical? but I can upgrade in a year and it has a better warranty than the HSUs'. You stated the FV12 did a better job with complex bass. Also, I realize the Rythmik is not as powerful as the other subs and it's got a lower WAF.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-08-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bybeeda View Post

Thanks shadyJ

I've read a lot of your posts. I especially enjoyed your comparison of the Rythmik FV12, so thank you. It got me thinking about Rythmik's Servos. If you were me with my goal for clean, deep and musical bass, between all those subs, would you still go with HSU? Would you buy the FV12? What about an SVS pb12-nsd, or the ED A3-300?. I like the SVS, because it's looks to be very flat in it's freq response, maybe not as musical? but I can upgrade in a year and it has a better warranty than the HSUs'. You stated the FV12 did a better job with complex bass. Also, I realize the Rythmik is not as powerful as the other subs and it's got a lower WAF.

They all have clean, deep, musical bass, at least to my ears. In music, I couldn't say the Rythmik sounded very different in music, and I think that is because the bass in music is just recorded too cleanly. The Rythmik set itself apart in certain movie passages, where I did detect more detail in some bass sounds. I liked it, but I prefer the extra headroom of the more expensive VTF3. If I was shopping for a sub with a lower budget I would have a very tough time deciding between the FV12, VTF2, or LFM-1 Plus. The ED A3-300 is basically discontinued at this point, although if you wanted one, I think ED would make one for you but I would guess there would be a long lead time on it.

As for the SVS, a flat frequency response ought to make it better for music, not worse. It has some nice features, but given the output advantage that the Outlaw and Hsu subs have on it, I would skip it. If I was going to give up headroom, I would go with the FV12 instead. But you have to understand I like LOUD bass-heavy music, so those extra SPLs are worth the extra dollars to me, but they might not be a priority for someone who doesn't intend to push their system. I'm sure you would be happy with any of them, as long as you are shopping at internet direct dedicated subwoofer companies and not at Best Buy or Fry's, you have won.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-08-2012, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

They all have clean, deep, musical bass, at least to my ears. In music, I couldn't say the Rythmik sounded very different in music, and I think that is because the bass in music is just recorded too cleanly. The Rythmik set itself apart in certain movie passages, where I did detect more detail in some bass sounds. I liked it, but I prefer the extra headroom of the more expensive VTF3. If I was shopping for a sub with a lower budget I would have a very tough time deciding between the FV12, VTF2, or LFM-1 Plus. The ED A3-300 is basically discontinued at this point, although if you wanted one, I think ED would make one for you but I would guess there would be a long lead time on it.

As for the SVS, a flat frequency response ought to make it better for music, not worse. It has some nice features, but given the output advantage that the Outlaw and Hsu subs have on it, I would skip it. If I was going to give up headroom, I would go with the FV12 instead. But you have to understand I like LOUD bass-heavy music, so those extra SPLs are worth the extra dollars to me, but they might not be a priority for someone who doesn't intend to push their system. I'm sure you would be happy with any of them, as long as you are shopping at internet direct dedicated subwoofer companies and not at Best Buy or Fry's, you have won.

Perfect, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I also like Bass heavy music, I want my front room to sound as close to a club as possible. Any thoughts on the ED A5-350? There is one online locally here for $550 but it's an older down firing model and it kept shutting down when it was pushed really hard. He demo'd the Flight of the Phoenix for me, when it was working it sounded incredible. It was also in a 5000 Cubic Ft. Room. The guy told me that EA had already replaced his driver and his amp and that they told him he was just pushing it too hard. He also told me he didn't have any of his amplifier settings calibrated, I tried it front firing and in the front corner of the room, but I think there may have been something wrong with it.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-08-2012, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know much about the A5-350s capabilities. If I had to guess I would think it would have a 2 or 3 db advantage against the VTF3 or LFM-1 EX depending on the frequency, but that is just speculation. One thing that bothers me about ED though is they won't honor the warranty if Audyssey is used and the subs beats itself to death. If they are that afraid of Audyssey, they need to put more stringent limiters in their amps, not just bail out of the warranty coverage. But I think they do make good subs, and I think you would be happy with a new A5-350, although I definitely would not buy the used A5-350.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page