post #151 of 158 Old 08-23-2014, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jparker36 View Post
Correct, manufacture direct price is your price. MSRP is just there to show what you 'should' pay if you bought from a b&m store. Just makes you feel better about buying a $3200 sub :-)

I'm feeling warm and tingly already
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 158 Old 09-08-2014, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have one OS LF and considering buying a second. Are any of you guys running multiple OS using measurement software and a minidsp? If so which one and why?
post #153 of 158 Old 09-08-2014, 03:57 PM

Should have mentioned I've ordered an dayton omnimic V2 to measure and considering ordering a minidsp open drc an to make adjustments to the OS or OS if I add a second.
post #154 of 158 Old 09-08-2014, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Hi JF, I am running 3 OS LFU's and using a balanced mini dsp 2x4 with 4 way advanced configuration. I also use REW to measure. I probably have about 75% of my measurements focused on 10-500hz bass region. I have two OS's back to back in the front right corner and the third in the rear corner of the room. As you know the OS are so large even having them back to back is not quite what I would call co-located. It really smoothed out the whole room's bass response vs 1 OS. I would say 2 OS's took me 75% of the way there and 3 got me to 90% even room response. The time delay may be the single biggest factor and improvement by adding the minidsp. The only issue I have with the 2x4 balanced is the time delay max between outputs is 7.5ms which isn't quite high enough. Some of the other models don't have this limitation. How big is your room?

Pre-Pro: Emotiva UMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
post #155 of 158 Old 09-09-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
Hi JF, I am running 3 OS LFU's and using a balanced mini dsp 2x4 with 4 way advanced configuration. I also use REW to measure. I probably have about 75% of my measurements focused on 10-500hz bass region. I have two OS's back to back in the front right corner and the third in the rear corner of the room. As you know the OS are so large even having them back to back is not quite what I would call co-located. It really smoothed out the whole room's bass response vs 1 OS. I would say 2 OS's took me 75% of the way there and 3 got me to 90% even room response. The time delay may be the single biggest factor and improvement by adding the minidsp. The only issue I have with the 2x4 balanced is the time delay max between outputs is 7.5ms which isn't quite high enough. Some of the other models don't have this limitation. How big is your room?
lbrown105 I have followed your posts, I lurk on the jtr forum most every day. Room difficult to explain, a general living space open in spots on one side heading different directions, hallway, kitchen, downstair. Ballpark 32' x 20' w/8' ceilings.

Very encouraging to hear your results regarding adding a 2nd OS!

The only measuring tool is spl meter, the omnimic V2 has shipped so it should arrive later this week.

OS is corner loaded in rear left corner, have a spot to corner load the second OS in rear right corner. Not short of bass IMO, could use a little evening out. Without measurement tools no way to know what I have going on.

Same LCR as you, surrounds are 228's. Converted to jtr earlier in the year from Def Tech 8080 LCR & 8040 surrounds and a brief run with legacy focus SE speakers. The jtr stuff is really strong.

I've heard the minidsp open drc an is a possible solution for bass mgt after running xt32.

Thoughts?
post #156 of 158 Old 09-09-2014, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I love the minis dsp and I think the open drc has more distance setting ability. Even though you may be able to get the OS's equidistant from the MLP the flexibility is nice to have. You won't believe the difference with two properly aligned. More head room, more even response and possibly better decay times.

For the level your getting at I would really like to see you start measruing with full sweeps (10hz-20khz). There is no doubt the second OS will help no matter what but believe me once you can see what is going on you can make a huge difference in sound quality.

You have an awesome set up and you want to get the most from it. At first REW is a bit of a PITA but after you get it working properly and take some measurements its a breeze. I still don't use all the functionality but between FR, decay, and impulse respones you can really take things to another level.

Your system is awesome, even 228's for rears, wow! Very cool. Don't know if you live in the midwest but I will probably have a GTG this fall.

Pre-Pro: Emotiva UMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
post #157 of 158 Old 09-10-2014, 06:55 AM

This has been a learning curve for me, I've been a set it and forget it guy for years, adjusting bass to taste. It's sorta turned into a hobby. What you say makes sense. Looking forward to being able to measure with the omnimic, going to give the minidsp a try.

Perspective is a funny thing, the set up I have is the best sounding system I've ever owed... by far, yet I feel the need to tweek it.

Would love to hear your set up at your GTG, I'm on the west coast but travel for business. It's a long shot but you never know. Thank you for your feedback!
post #158 of 158 Old 09-10-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 146
The subs are co-located if they are within a 1/4 wavelength. This is all frequency dependent but, for the under 20 Hz stuff, the subs back to back are considered co-located.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page