Just got my SVS SB12-NSD sub today, my thoughts so far... - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 87 Old 03-22-2012, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
After this I'll stop adding comments because I don't want to come off like a salesperson:

It is so weird to see the PC12-NSD or the PB12-NSD being described lately as a sub for small rooms. It's not... it's a full-on home theater sub. If anyone is uncertain about the testimonials of rabid fan-boys (maybe that's what I seem to be), please see a respected third party's pro review.

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 87 Old 03-22-2012, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Different forum members have a different definition of small and most of the time people will neglect to mention its open to a room/s that are the same size which changes everything.
post #63 of 87 Old 03-22-2012, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

Different forum members have a different definition of small and most of the time people will neglect to mention its open to a room/s that are the same size which changes everything.

Indeed, any time "small room", "enough bass for me", etc is mentioned...well, there is no way to measure what is enough bass for one person and for another so its never a clear cut situation.

Mario Lemieux is GOD!
Go Pens!!!
Aguante Boca!!!
If dolphins are so smart...why do they live in igloos?
post #64 of 87 Old 03-22-2012, 11:08 AM

Liked: 10
How would the svs SB-12nsd compare with the Rythmik F12SE in a small room? Would they both do a good job for movies and music?
post #65 of 87 Old 03-22-2012, 01:20 PM

Saying a PB or PC12-NSD is for smaller rooms is laughable and uninformed. That Audioholics review has it large room certified for 3000-5000 cubic feet. Some people need to put other products down to feel better about their own purchases. Sad...
post #66 of 87 Old 03-22-2012, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydogg_sc2 View Post

Saying a PB or PC12-NSD is for smaller rooms is laughable and uninformed. That Audioholics review has it large room certified for 3000-5000 cubic feet. Some people need to put other products down to feel better about their own purchases. Sad...

It has nothing to do with that mate. Many people will be happy with a sony subwoofer while others need a svs, hsu, you name it.
Same thing with room size and performance. Many will be happy with it in such a big room and other will need duals or a Captivator or who knows. You cannot just say one random number because it does not apply to everyone.
There is no right or wrong here, just different requirements and needs.

Mario Lemieux is GOD!
Go Pens!!!
Aguante Boca!!!
post #67 of 87 Old 03-22-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Gabriel Gerena View Post

It has nothing to do with that mate. Many people will be happy with a sony subwoofer while others need a svs, hsu, you name it.
Same thing with room size and performance. Many will be happy with it in such a big room and other will need duals or a Captivator or who knows. You cannot just say one random number because it does not apply to everyone.
There is no right or wrong here, just different requirements and needs.

My comment was not directed at you personally more the attitude that is somewhat prevalent around here and all over internet forums to be honest regardless of the subject.

I do think there is a certain level of definiteness that can be accepted. Someone saying they have a sealed 1500-2000 cubic foot room often gets the Submersive/Captivator or bust opinion thrown around when really it is going to be overkill for everyone except those who want to sustain hearing damage or anger their neighbors on purpose. Just because a piece of equipment can reach higher spl measurements at a given frequency does not make it the most appropriate tool for the job in all instances.

To play the devil's advocate if everyone's expectations are so different then the correct answer for every person is buy a bunch of them and keep your favorite. Spend as much money as you can afford to (even though that does not make sense frequently) and never look back.
post #68 of 87 Old 03-22-2012, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Agree

Mario Lemieux is GOD!
Go Pens!!!
Aguante Boca!!!
post #69 of 87 Old 03-22-2012, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 70
SB12 is an excellent sub for what it is but not the ideal choice if you crave the deepest extension and slam for movies...
post #70 of 87 Old 03-22-2012, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydogg_sc2 View Post

To play the devil's advocate if everyone's expectations are so different then the correct answer for every person is buy a bunch of them and keep your favorite. Spend as much money as you can afford to (even though that does not make sense frequently) and never look back.

Actually I agree with that approach. Since many manufacturers have a trial period, it is possible to buy a bunch of subs and test them to find your favorite and return the rest. You might have to cover return shipping though.

Also agree with your second statement.
post #71 of 87 Old 03-22-2012, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc10 View Post

How would the svs SB-12nsd compare with the Rythmik F12SE in a small room? Would they both do a good job for movies and music?

Not sure how they would compare directly in the same room but I bet they would both do a fine job. I was very happy with the SB12 in a small room (mainly music) as well as Rythmiks for HT in a larger room (different model-E15). You probably can't go wrong either way.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, except not while driving a school bus.
post #72 of 87 Old 03-23-2012, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

So I played around with my setup, dropped in some stands and 5.1 speaker setup, ran some calibrations, did some adjustments, then threw a lot of heavy LFE blurays to see what would happen. While the SB12 supplied bass, it just didn't quite slam as much as I wanted. For music, the SB12 is excellent, fast and responsive, runs circles around my old STF-2, very musical, but if you want slam for movies, there's only so much as a sealed sub can do apparently, unless you opt for the more expensive SB13 Plus or something like the HSU ULS-15, which I hear can really pull some deep output, according the numbers.

I suppose it was my fault that I'm in a position to return it, I really wanted to believe that a sealed sub would be enough in my room for my tastes, for some people the SB12 will be fine. After having a HSU STF-2 in my room and feeling pretty satisfied for over a year, I'm hoping a PB12 will take things up to a higher level with deeper output and even more slam with movies. I am at least glad that I had a chance to try out a sealed sub, and a fine sub at that.

So I decided for sure to get the PB12-NSD, I don't give a hoot if the box is big and unsightly, I just want my movies to slam and rattle the walls. I'm going to talk to SVS tomorrow about doing a return for my SB12 so I can order the PB12 instead.

BTW, one weird thing I noticed was that there is a subwoofer thump when a bluray switches into encoded surround playback. This sometimes happens 2 or 3 times during title intro. I never noticed this problem on my other Pioneer receiver, I don't know if its this new receiver(Pioneer 1121-K) or the sub, I checked the sub cable(Premium one from monoprice) its seems to be plugged in fine. What gives???
post #73 of 87 Old 03-24-2012, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quick question. If i add a second sub ot should increase the dbs at ALL hz levels correct?

I am curious about adding another sb12

Panasonic 65VT30 | Denon x4000 | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XSP-1 | Emotiva DC-1 | PSB imagine B's |PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp
my HT gallery: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?u=240707

post #74 of 87 Old 03-24-2012, 10:54 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

SB12 is an excellent sub for what it is but not the ideal choice if you crave the deepest extension and slam for movies...

What is it?
post #75 of 87 Old 03-24-2012, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

What is it?

A small sealed sub that will work great for music in a small, mid size room or for both movies and music in a small sealed room.
post #76 of 87 Old 03-24-2012, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I finally got a chance to crank her up a little bit last evening. Being a CPA with 2 kids, by the time I get home this time of year, everyone is asleep and I'm limited to some quiet listening. I got to play about 4 tracks of Paul Simon's greatest hits cd - the 2nd cd with the Graceland era heavy bass lines. The output was more than enough for me. I actually dialed back the gain a couple of notches. My family room is 18X25X8, but it's a tri-level house that is pretty much completely open with high ceilings in the formal living and dining rooms.

What I think I'm missing right now is EQ and acoustic treatments. Regarding the EQ, i'm considering the antimode or possibly holding out for a used SVS EQ1. However, I do have a marantz av7005 i use for HT which has Audyssey XT. I'm wondering if i can route my preamp's 2nd line out through the av7005 and use its EQ for the sub for my 2 channel listening.
post #77 of 87 Old 03-24-2012, 11:17 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando View Post

A small sealed sub that will work great for music in a small, mid size room or for both movies and music in a small sealed room.

That's great.
post #78 of 87 Old 03-24-2012, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

Quick question. If i add a second sub ot should increase the dbs at ALL hz levels correct?

I am curious about adding another sb12

That is correct, it should also even out the response of your sub in your room helping out with filling null voids and giving you a overall punchier sound, you may even get a slightly deeper output due to the combined db output. Having dual SB12's might actually be what I'm craving with movies, but my budget is only good for one sub right now and I'm opting for the PB12.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

What is it?

SB12-NSD is a sealed sub from SVS, it is great with music and okay with movies, but if you want serious slam, you have to go ported with something like the PB12-NSD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speavler View Post

I finally got a chance to crank her up a little bit last evening. Being a CPA with 2 kids, by the time I get home this time of year, everyone is asleep and I'm limited to some quiet listening. I got to play about 4 tracks of Paul Simon's greatest hits cd - the 2nd cd with the Graceland era heavy bass lines. The output was more than enough for me. I actually dialed back the gain a couple of notches. My family room is 18X25X8, but it's a tri-level house that is pretty much completely open with high ceilings in the formal living and dining rooms.

What I think I'm missing right now is EQ and acoustic treatments. Regarding the EQ, i'm considering the antimode or possibly holding out for a used SVS EQ1. However, I do have a marantz av7005 i use for HT which has Audyssey XT. I'm wondering if i can route my preamp's 2nd line out through the av7005 and use its EQ for the sub for my 2 channel listening.

Yeah the music performance on this sub is excellent for 2 channel systems, it is clean, fast and responsive to little detailed changes. That is one thing that I will miss when I return it is how it sounds with music.
post #79 of 87 Old 03-24-2012, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by avspace View Post

That is correct, it should also even out the response of your sub in your room helping out with filling null voids and giving you a overall punchier sound, you may even get a slightly deeper output due to the combined db output. Having dual SB12's might actually be what I'm craving with movies, but my budget is only good for one sub right now and I'm opting for the PB12.

SB12-NSD is a sealed sub from SVS, it is great with music and okay with movies, but if you want serious slam, you have to go ported with something like the PB12-NSD.

Yeah the music performance on this sub is excellent for 2 channel systems, it is clean, fast and responsive to little detailed changes. That is one thing that I will miss when I return it is how it sounds with music.

I here you. Even my stacked dual SB12nsds cannot match the low end of my single PB12plus, yet they sound great together in my room. I wouldn't worry too much about losing music performance with the PB12nsd. It seems to have improved a bit from the older PB12nsds with the new driver and sledge amps. I suspect it will sound close down to its tuning point below where the SB12 can reach.
post #80 of 87 Old 03-24-2012, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

I did my final head scratching about getting the PB12-NSD, I was checking out the HSU VTF-3.4 but the box and weight is just too huge to fit in my room, plus the added cost of shipping and taxes would make it more than the PB12. So PB12-NSD it is for sure.

Anyone have any bad experience from purchasing an SVS Outlet special? I've never been one to buy outlet specials(or b stock) as I worry about getting abused equipment, but from what I hear, these new SVS subs have limiters built in that make bottoming out impossible. So apart from someone dropping the sub, I think it should be fine.....anyone happy with a b-stock purchase from SVS?
post #81 of 87 Old 03-24-2012, 09:07 PM

I have heard good things about SVS outlet products but the PB12-NSD in the outlet shop is currently not available if that matters for you. You end up saving around 5% in the end so it is up to you if the peace of mind in knowing you are the first to have powered up the product is worth around $40.
post #82 of 87 Old 03-24-2012, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

I'll just go for a new sub then, that should eliminate my chances of having to return the sub if something is wrong because someone else did something funky to it.
post #83 of 87 Old 03-14-2013, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I got my SB13-plus about a year ago from the outlet. It looked brand new when it came to my house. And yes, it has enough power and goes low enough to make me very happy.

I was a little nervous tho bc when I spoke to Ed Mullen he said I would need 3 of my subs to equal the deep bass power of the PB12-plus. I still went for it bc it wasn't small at 95 lbs. just not humongous like the pb12-plus.

In the end it was a very good value and I have had no problems with it.
post #84 of 87 Old 05-30-2013, 05:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 531
I have a smallish dedicated front-projection theater room, about 245 s.f., 1900 c.f. Seven seats and one 12" riser. I'm considering the SB12-NSD. Figured I'd get a pair of them and put them in the corners of the room under the L/R fronts. Don't really have room for a bigger size sub(s) as it would start to crowd the screen. Hope two of the SB12's will give me all the low-end I need for HT in that room as well a nice tightness for tunes. I do want the subs to "pressurize" the room, whatever that means.

Any opinions or thoughts on that plan?
post #85 of 87 Old 05-30-2013, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
I like it! biggrin.gif

Seriously, though, the room is relatively small, so:
- dual SB12-NSDs should have no trouble pressurizing it; and
- there should be sufficient room gain to permit the subs to dig usably down to 20Hz or lower.
post #86 of 87 Old 05-30-2013, 06:47 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I love what the SB-12 NSD's are capable of but in a Home Theater, to get what you want, in my opinion, you'll need three SB-12 NSD's so as to smooth out the room response to as many of the seated listening positions as possible and give you plenty of headroom for that chest thumping impact bass you want everybody who visits, to experience.

Also, after all the effort and expense you've put into your Home Theater, if you haven't already, acquire room measuring/EQ capability so as to accurately place your subs and get the best out of them.

Start with two SB-12 NSD's, acquired room measuring capability and then if measurements show additional effort in the form of bass traps or an additional sub is needed, add what ever, as needed.

Those are my thoughts and is my opinion.
post #87 of 87 Old 11-30-2013, 06:14 AM

Interesting, I am being offered for this sub at $418 second hand. 

Marantz 1504

Monitor Audio BX5, BX Center, BX1

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page