Can't DIY? Here's an option... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 133 Old 03-15-2012, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dominguez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 155

This thread is dedicated to those folks that want DIY value, but lack the DIY skill/effort.

 

I hope to compile a list of cabinet making vendors that would allow you the flexibility and performance of DIY, but at a price equal to or less than an equivalent ID product.

 

http://www.caraudiofactory.com - A member at the Home Theater Shack had his 7 cubic foot cabinet (21x24x35) built there for $175 +$50 shipping. Seems like a solid cabinet weighing in at 100lbs or so. Here is a link to his sub.


Custom Sub List (using eD cabinets):

- 18in LMS-Ultra 5400 powered by Sanway LG Clone FP14000K, pics/thread, 2 subs, edoggrc51
Estimated market price: ~$1500ish per sub, ~$850 for amp

- 18in LMS-Ultra 5400 powered by EP4000, pics/thread, 1 sub, Matt34
Estimated market price: ~$1500ish per sub, $350 for amp

- 18in Mach 5 UXL powered by Sanway LG Clone FP14000K, pics/thread, 4 subs, HuskerOmaha
Estimated market price: ~$1100ish per sub, ~$850 for amp

- 21in Mach 5 FTW21 powered by an EP4000 Amp, pics, 2 subs, dominguez1
Estimated market price: ~$1350ish per sub, $350 for amp

dominguez1 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 133 Old 03-15-2012, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dominguez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Reserved
dominguez1 is online now  
post #3 of 133 Old 03-15-2012, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dominguez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I'll give this a shot!

Dual PS-450U w/2 EP2000 Amps, aprox. $1500 each, pics to come, dominguez1

I placed an order for these bad boys today! 4 weeks to delivery!

They are 2 passive sealed subs, using eD's upgraded 18in Driver:





This is the same driver in the A7-450 and has a 30mm xmax!

The dimensions will be about the same footprint as the A7S-450 (20-22in width and depth), but the height will be taller some (still not yet determined). I believe this is the first variant of a sealed design for this driver, so it should be fun!!!

Oh, and they are making the cabinet in such a way so that I can swap out the eD driver in the future with the 18in LMS-Ultra 5400...just in case upgradeitius sets in again....
dominguez1 is online now  
post #4 of 133 Old 03-15-2012, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
laugsbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 2,587
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post

...just in case upgradeitius sets in again....

Let me change this slightly...

...WHEN upgradeitius sets in again.

Congrats dominguez1...I can't wait to hear them!
laugsbach is online now  
post #5 of 133 Old 03-15-2012, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dominguez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post

Let me change this slightly...

...WHEN upgradeitius sets in again.

Congrats dominguez1...I can't wait to hear them!

LOL! The design of being able to swap drivers with the LMS-U was a nice move wasn't it...
dominguez1 is online now  
post #6 of 133 Old 03-15-2012, 09:25 PM
Senior Member
 
NiceguyEdy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Marion, Iowa
Posts: 464
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Dominguez, I think you and I have a very similar train of thought. I'm still working out details with eD, but if things fall into place, I'll be sure to post in here.

Congratulations btw!
NiceguyEdy is offline  
post #7 of 133 Old 03-16-2012, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dominguez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceguyEdy View Post

Dominguez, I think you and I have a very similar train of thought. I'm still working out details with eD, but if things fall into place, I'll be sure to post in here.

Congratulations btw!

Thanks NiceguyEdy.

Hmmm...at least give us a hint of what you're dreaming up!
dominguez1 is online now  
post #8 of 133 Old 03-16-2012, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
edoggrc51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 1,346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Cool thread D! Hopefully this will allow more people, who like myself, want to go the DIY route without having the wood working skills. Anyhow here's my recently finished build.

Model: (2x) PS-450X (with plans to add 2 more subs by the end of summer )

Basic cabinet info: 20x22x24 cabinets (4cu.ft.), made with 1in mdf, rounded corners, quad front & rear baffles, done in their standard textured finish.

Driver(s): TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400

Amp: Sanway LG Clone FP14000k amp


A few assembly pics:










All ready to rock!











Link to my build thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1391395
edoggrc51 is online now  
post #9 of 133 Old 03-16-2012, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
stormwind13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: MN
Posts: 843
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I had an opportunity to see that sub in person the other day at the ED factory. It seems to be very well built and definitely has me interested!
stormwind13 is offline  
post #10 of 133 Old 03-16-2012, 08:27 PM
Senior Member
 
NiceguyEdy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Marion, Iowa
Posts: 464
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post

Thanks NiceguyEdy.

Hmmm...at least give us a hint of what you're dreaming up!

Well, think notnyt only with eD's flavor. Oh, and only two of them....

Dominguez, I would love to hear some of your details, as to what is being done to the driver to make it better for a sealed enclosure, etc....just about anything. You can PM any details you'd like.
NiceguyEdy is offline  
post #11 of 133 Old 03-16-2012, 10:26 PM
Senior Member
 
NiceguyEdy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Marion, Iowa
Posts: 464
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
edoggrc51,

I really like those subs you built. Congrats on the LMS....definitely too rich for my blood! Thanks for sharing a link to your build.
NiceguyEdy is offline  
post #12 of 133 Old 03-17-2012, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dominguez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 155
edoggrc51,

That is an awesome pair of subs! Congrats!

The bracing on that looks awesome...guess it would have to be to hold those beasts!

How does it sound? Have you done any measurements yet?
dominguez1 is online now  
post #13 of 133 Old 03-17-2012, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dominguez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceguyEdy View Post

Well, think notnyt only with eD's flavor. Oh, and only two of them....

Dominguez, I would love to hear some of your details, as to what is being done to the driver to make it better for a sealed enclosure, etc....just about anything. You can PM any details you'd like.

So, you're potentially looking at building the A7S-650s big brother? Wow!

Totally killer. Do it! With my build and yours, it's like eDs version of the CapS and CapS2!

dominguez1 is online now  
post #14 of 133 Old 03-17-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
edoggrc51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 1,346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceguyEdy View Post

edoggrc51,

I really like those subs you built. Congrats on the LMS....definitely too rich for my blood! Thanks for sharing a link to your build.

Thanks man! Yeah these drivers aren't exactly cheap. One of the reasons i decided to go this route was "upgrade-itis". Sometimes it's just cheaper in the long run to spend more money up front. I really wanted this subwoofer system to be the last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post

edoggrc51,

That is an awesome pair of subs! Congrats!

The bracing on that looks awesome...guess it would have to be to hold those beasts!

How does it sound? Have you done any measurements yet?

Thanks man! They sound GREAT! Especially now that the drivers have broken in, they have really opened up!

No measurements, just a couple of screenshots from the SMS-1.
edoggrc51 is online now  
post #15 of 133 Old 03-17-2012, 01:04 PM
Senior Member
 
NiceguyEdy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Marion, Iowa
Posts: 464
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post

So, you're potentially looking at building the A7S-650s big brother? Wow!

A7S-900U

Totally killer. Do it! With my build and yours, it's like eDs version of the CapS and CapS2!

That is what I'm dreaming of right now. I still needs a few cards to fall into place before I'll know if I'm moving forward with the build or not. I hope it does, I'm very excited!!

Seems like a lot of awesome sub builds/purchases lately. I love reading about them.
NiceguyEdy is offline  
post #16 of 133 Old 03-17-2012, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HuskerOmaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Omaha
Posts: 2,155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Per the request of dominguez...

Will post my build using eD cabinets soon. Will link later for people to refer..

Basics: x 4 Mach 5 UXL 18 drivers
(istonline.ca)

20" cubes from eD with specs

Two LG Clone Amps FP14K

Hopefully a half notnyt.

Should be finished in April.....waiting on last two drivers....

I would link but on my phone....
HuskerOmaha is offline  
post #17 of 133 Old 03-17-2012, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dominguez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

Per the request of dominguez...

Will post my build using eD cabinets soon. Will link later for people to refer..

Basics: x 4 Mach 5 UXL 18 drivers
(istonline.ca)

20" cubes from eD with specs

Two LG Clone Amps FP14K

Hopefully a half notnyt.

Should be finished in April.....waiting on last two drivers....

I would link but on my phone....

Thank you sir. Looking forward to your impressions!

Are you still building the dual-opposed, or are they 4 separate cabs?
dominguez1 is online now  
post #18 of 133 Old 03-17-2012, 07:20 PM
Senior Member
 
NiceguyEdy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Marion, Iowa
Posts: 464
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
He went with the 4 separate cabinets. I just read his whole build thread. I too am looking forward to the impressions.
NiceguyEdy is offline  
post #19 of 133 Old 03-18-2012, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dominguez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Updated first post.

I've now included "Estimated market price". This is not necessarily the price the owners paid for their subs, but my estimated price that eD/you could build this design. Again, YMMV, but wanted to give folks a general idea.
dominguez1 is online now  
post #20 of 133 Old 03-18-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vinodk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Camarillo, California
Posts: 2,216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
These sub cabinets look great. I am planning to have eD build 2 sub cabs for 15" TC sounds driver. Can anybody direct me to cabinet plans for 15" sealed configuration? I am looking for the sub to have decent output at 20hz for HT use.

Vinod
vinodk is offline  
post #21 of 133 Old 03-18-2012, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dominguez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodk View Post

These sub cabinets look great. I am planning to have eD build 2 sub cabs for 15" TC sounds driver. Can anybody direct me to cabinet plans for 15" sealed configuration? I am looking for the sub to have decent output at 20hz for HT use.

Here you go:

http://www.edesignaudio.com/custom_products.php

It would probably benefit you to give them a call as well. Keep us posted on your progress!
dominguez1 is online now  
post #22 of 133 Old 03-18-2012, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
vinodk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Camarillo, California
Posts: 2,216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thanks. What would be appropriate cu.ft. volume of the cabinet for TC sounds Axis/LMS 15in. driver so that it has response & good output down to 20hz in approx 2600cu.ft. room?

Vinod
vinodk is offline  
post #23 of 133 Old 03-18-2012, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dominguez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodk View Post

Thanks. What would be appropriate cu.ft. volume of the cabinet for TC sounds Axis/LMS 15in. driver so that it has response & good output down to 20hz in approx 2600cu.ft. room?

eD would be able to answer that, or you might get a quicker response if you ask it in the DIY Section.
dominguez1 is online now  
post #24 of 133 Old 03-18-2012, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dominguez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 155

Matt34's

18in LMS-Ultra 5400 powered by an EP4000

Pic1

Pic2

His thread.

Looking good Matt! Love that Ultra look...

dominguez1 is online now  
post #25 of 133 Old 03-18-2012, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mphfrom77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: northern KY
Posts: 3,635
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Really cool thread guys! I always like reading your posts and threads dominguez.

I was looking at edog's subs and thead last week and had kind of the same curiosity you seem to have dominguez. My curiosity (after reading edog's thread) was somewhere along the lines of what if I wanted to try out different drivers with the same box, would that be a possibility and would it be worth it. It was kind of more along the lines of, if budget did not permit currently go with lesser expensive drivers to start out and then upgrade later on. Or, what if some incredible new technology came out and all I wanted to do was swap out the driver. I'm sure this line of thought would seem funny to veteran diy'ers, but to a newer person to a/v I could see this being very helpful. Really across all budget levels as well, possibly. I see Seaton Sound has started some of the process of assemble yourself type of work as well, but I don't know all the ins and outs of it.

Basically I think this will be a very nice thread, and a very nice thing for Elemental Designs. The DIY community and the whole subwoofer community in general seems so on top of their game, to the point where a thread like this and a company offering this capability, is absolutely practical and pretty much necessary for this craft, I would say.

I am subscribed and look forward to your all's posts. I think things will get very interesting here!
mphfrom77 is online now  
post #26 of 133 Old 03-18-2012, 05:44 PM
Senior Member
 
ehoeft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphfrom77 View Post

Really cool thread guys! I always like reading your posts and threads dominguez.

I was looking at edog's subs and thead last week and had kind of the same curiosity you seem to have dominguez. My curiosity (after reading edog's thread) was somewhere along the lines of what if I wanted to try out different drivers with the same box, would that be a possibility and would it be worth it. It was kind of more along the lines of, if budget did not permit currently go with lesser expensive drivers to start out and then upgrade later on. Or, what if some incredible new technology came out and all I wanted to do was swap out the driver. I'm sure this line of thought would seem funny to veteran diy'ers, but to a newer person to a/v I could see this being very helpful. Really across all budget levels as well, possibly. I see Seaton Sound has started some of the process of assemble yourself type of work as well, but I don't know all the ins and outs of it.

Basically I think this will be a very nice thread, and a very nice thing for Elemental Designs. The DIY community and the whole subwoofer community in general seems so on top of their game, to the point where a thread like this and a company offering this capability, is absolutely practical and pretty much necessary for this craft, I would say.

I am subscribed and look forward to your all's posts. I think things will get very interesting here!

^^^^^^^^^ this
ehoeft is offline  
post #27 of 133 Old 03-19-2012, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dominguez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphfrom77 View Post

Really cool thread guys! I always like reading your posts and threads dominguez.

I was looking at edog's subs and thead last week and had kind of the same curiosity you seem to have dominguez. My curiosity (after reading edog's thread) was somewhere along the lines of what if I wanted to try out different drivers with the same box, would that be a possibility and would it be worth it. It was kind of more along the lines of, if budget did not permit currently go with lesser expensive drivers to start out and then upgrade later on. Or, what if some incredible new technology came out and all I wanted to do was swap out the driver. I'm sure this line of thought would seem funny to veteran diy'ers, but to a newer person to a/v I could see this being very helpful. Really across all budget levels as well, possibly. I see Seaton Sound has started some of the process of assemble yourself type of work as well, but I don't know all the ins and outs of it.

Basically I think this will be a very nice thread, and a very nice thing for Elemental Designs. The DIY community and the whole subwoofer community in general seems so on top of their game, to the point where a thread like this and a company offering this capability, is absolutely practical and pretty much necessary for this craft, I would say.

I am subscribed and look forward to your all's posts. I think things will get very interesting here!

Thanks mph!

I just don't think many folks know that it's a viable option, I certainly didn't. It wasn't until I caught a new strain of upgradeitus that I realized it. I couldn't really find a product that was a big upgrade from my current system without spending close to $5k for a pair of offerings from Seaton, JTR, or Funkywaves.

This route gave me much more options for almost half the cost that, IMO, will perform as good or better than the top ID subs. Plus, as you said, if (or when) upgradeitus sets in again, because of eD's custom work, all I have to do is swap out drivers.

If you think about it, what makes DIY not a viable option for most, it's building the cabinet. With eD building the cabinet, DIY is really an option for all. For those that have owned eD's products, there's one thing that I think everybody will agree on...they make the sturdiest cabinets in the business! And at a very attractive price.
dominguez1 is online now  
post #28 of 133 Old 03-19-2012, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Hksvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 3,388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I was thinking about the same with two 15" LMS. Yes, you can swap out drivers at any time. Awesome!
Hksvr4 is offline  
post #29 of 133 Old 03-19-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
HuskerOmaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Omaha
Posts: 2,155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 View Post

I was thinking about the same with two 15" LMS. Yes, you can swap out drivers at any time. Awesome!

Assuming the baskets are the same size or close enough to fit.. ..
HuskerOmaha is offline  
post #30 of 133 Old 03-19-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
edoggrc51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 1,346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post

Thanks mph!

I just don't think many folks know that it's a viable option, I certainly didn't. It wasn't until I caught a new strain of upgradeitus that I realized it. I couldn't really find a product that was a big upgrade from my current system without spending close to $5k for a pair of offerings from Seaton, JTR, or Funkywaves.

This route gave me much more options for almost half the cost that, IMO, will perform as good or better than the top ID subs. Plus, as you said, if (or when) upgradeitus sets in again, because of eD's custom work, all I have to do is swap out drivers.

If you think about it, what makes DIY not a viable option for most, it's building the cabinet. With eD building the cabinet, DIY is really an option for all. For those that have owned eD's products, there's one thing that I think everybody will agree on...they make the sturdiest cabinets in the business! And at a very attractive price.

+1

Well said bro!
edoggrc51 is online now  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Amplifier Speaker

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off