I need just a little more bass.... - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 80 Old 03-18-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I get surprised when people will omit a sub because they think it makes the music sound bad the only way I see that happening is a bad sub design or operating beyond it's limits or settings are wrong in the pre-pro/AVR and yes I am 50/50 HT/music.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 80 Old 03-30-2012, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post

I do installs from time to time. When it comes to subs i just bring one over and hook it up, if it works for them they can buy it. I do the same with Harmony remotes, when they have at least four remotes.

This is exactly what he is going to do. He is bringing me over the definitive tech subwoofer. If I like it I buy it. If not he will take it back. He is confident I will like it. He said there is actually 3 eight inch subs inside the box. He said it is the radiators that make it have more bass. Whatever that means. Lol.
post #33 of 80 Old 03-30-2012, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinomike View Post

This is exactly what he is going to do. He is bringing me over the definitive tech subwoofer. If I like it I buy it. If not he will take it back. He is confident I will like it. He said there is actually 3 eight inch subs inside the box. He said it is the radiators that make it have more bass. Whatever that means. Lol.

Passive radiators are not considered "subs" or drivers. They actually function more like ports which are simply empty tubes and not additional subwoofers.
post #34 of 80 Old 03-30-2012, 03:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

Passive radiators are not considered "subs" or drivers. They actually function more like ports which are simply empty tubes and not additional subwoofers.

Do they function as well as ports, or do they end up effecting the SPL the way that a sealed design can? I always wondered about that.

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #35 of 80 Old 03-30-2012, 05:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 444
The problem is here is that you can get much better bass for the same money even if you like that sub. How do you even know if it is good in the first place without any experience? I bet your installer will say things like see how tight that is, did you feel that, etc... Then I can imagine him saying things like a 12 or 15 is slower or something to that nature. You have 8 inch subs in your speakers, I have news for you, those are not subs they are woofers for Midbass. So you want more woofers? What are your goals besides more bass? What exactly are you looking for? Louder bass, lower bass, both? I bet it looks cute though. You can have a sub with 10 18's and not be overbearing, it is called proper integration.
post #36 of 80 Old 03-30-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Do they function as well as ports, or do they end up effecting the SPL the way that a sealed design can? I always wondered about that.

They act like a port with the exception of not having to be placed in a larger
cabinet.
post #37 of 80 Old 03-30-2012, 09:16 PM

post #38 of 80 Old 03-30-2012, 09:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabra View Post

http://www.aespeakers.com/PRFAQ.php

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #39 of 80 Old 03-31-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabra View Post

http://www.aespeakers.com/PRFAQ.php

"Keep in mind, most commercial passive radiator systems on the market are nowhere near ideal, and are made with extreme compromises. It is very difficult for a large commercial company to produce an ideal passive radiator system because of budget constraints. These commercial systems are not a good indicator of what can be achieved with a properly designed PR system."
post #40 of 80 Old 03-31-2012, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

He said he can install the sub for 650. That sounds fair.

Like I said I am happy with the way my system is when the subs are turned up all the way. However when I turn the system off the subs hum when they r up all the way. So I can turn the subs down half way. Put this new sub in behind my seats and I should be ok. I mainly want a clear sounding system. That is my goal. I want to hear voices clearly. Then just maybe a little more rumble.
post #41 of 80 Old 03-31-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

He said he can install the sub for 650. That sounds fair.

Like I said I am happy with the way my system is when the subs are turned up all the way. However when I turn the system off the subs hum when they r up all the way. So I can turn the subs down half way. Put this new sub in behind my seats and I should be ok. I mainly want a clear sounding system. That is my goal. I want to hear voices clearly. Then just maybe a little more rumble.

You may be happy with how it sounds, but unless you have heard the 12" ID subs, your experience is like someone with a hearing impairment that has always had it and can't hear certain frequencies. You can't know what you are missing. You room is too big for that sub. It will not perform as well as other alternatives in that price range.

For $650, you should look at a Rythmik FV12, an Epic Legend, Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus, or a HSU VTF-2 MK4. These subs are not going to give you more "rumble." They will produce accurate, excellent sounding bass at additional frequencies you are not experiencing.

post #42 of 80 Old 03-31-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

You may be happy with how it sounds, but unless you have heard the 12" ID subs, your experience is like someone with a hearing impairment that has always had it and can't hear certain frequencies. You can't know what you are missing. You room is too big for that sub. It will not perform as well as other alternatives in that price range.

For $650, you should look at a Rythmik FV12, an Epic Legend, Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus, or a HSU VTF-2 MK4. These subs are not going to give you more "rumble." They will produce accurate, excellent sounding bass at additional frequencies you are not experiencing.

I agree just look through the forums at the percentage of us that use ID subs there is a reason for that.
post #43 of 80 Old 03-31-2012, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I have to agree with the majority here. Do yourself a favor and purchase a 12" sub-woofer or larger. Your room is pretty big... in all honesty on the cheap you should get a couple 15" subs.
post #44 of 80 Old 03-31-2012, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
At least consider the sealed SVS SB12nsd. It is the same price as SC4000 but will play deeper while still sounding tight and controlled. It is also fairly compact and comes in a piano finish that will match with your speakers if that matters.

http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/sealed-box/sb12-nsd

Heck, you could order the SB12nsd and have your installer bring over the SC4000 and the both of you could see which sounds better in your room.
post #45 of 80 Old 04-01-2012, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I own a few Def Tech subs and my SVS NSD12/2 blows the door off my DT Supercube I's and Prosub1000. I mean not only blows them away but the SVS makes my DT subs seem weak and ineffective so I use my four DT subs only as Mid bass subs and my SVS as my one "true" sub.

As others have mentioned go with SVS or Hsu or Outlaw your ears will thank you.
post #46 of 80 Old 04-04-2012, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to let u guys know that he installed the DT Supercube 4000. WOW. Far exceeded my expectations. I had to ask him to turn the bass down. There was too much. I am very happy with it so I bought it. There is no way I ever want more bass than I have now. Maybe bass isn't my thing. I can feel my seat rumble. Syne the other speakers mentioned offer more bass but I just don't need it. I am very happy. Thanks to everyone for the advice.
post #47 of 80 Old 04-12-2012, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

OK my Audio Forum Friends.... I have to eat a little crow here. I should of listened to the advice given here.

As I posted above I was very happy with the bass that the SuperCube 4000 produced. However my 2nd night with it we were watching Transformers with the kids. It started to rattle. I called my guy out and the sub is done. He said the installer cranked it up too high. So it sounded good but just couldnt handle being cranked up enough to sound good. He brought me a new one as a loaner until I tell him what I want to go with.... Once he set it up where it should be I was no longer happy with the bass it provided.

So I need more advice. After reading all of the above post I have narrowed it down to a few choices. Of these choices which is the best... Please no more choices unless these are bad but from the post above everyone seems to agree they are good choices. What is the best choice?

Aloso where is the best palce to order them. I am in So. Cal. I would love to be able to drive somewhere and get them today or before the weekend if that is possible.

HSU VTF-3-MK4
or
SVS PB12-NSD
or
Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX
post #48 of 80 Old 04-12-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 536
Hsu is in Anaheim, and the VTF3 is probably the best performing of those three. If that isn't too far of a drive for you, call Hsu up and make an appointment for a demonstration.
post #49 of 80 Old 04-12-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

OK my Audio Forum Friends.... I have to eat a little crow here. I should of listened to the advice given here.

As I posted above I was very happy with the bass that the SuperCube 4000 produced. However my 2nd night with it we were watching Transformers with the kids. It started to rattle. I called my guy out and the sub is done. He said the installer cranked it up too high. So it sounded good but just couldnt handle being cranked up enough to sound good. He brought me a new one as a loaner until I tell him what I want to go with.... Once he set it up where it should be I was no longer happy with the bass it provided.

So I need more advice. After reading all of the above post I have narrowed it down to a few choices. Of these choices which is the best... Please no more choices unless these are bad but from the post above everyone seems to agree they are good choices. What is the best choice?

Aloso where is the best palce to order them. I am in So. Cal. I would love to be able to drive somewhere and get them today or before the weekend if that is possible.

HSU VTF-3-MK4
or
SVS PB12-NSD
or
Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX

HSU in anahiem. They will even demo it for you

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #50 of 80 Old 04-12-2012, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys..... I have been doing a little reading (Although I dont understand it al.. LOL) and I think the HSU is the best choice. Also I can drive out there and pick it up tomorrow. I called and left them a voicemail. It looks as if they have it lsisted for 659.00. Is that a fair price or is there somewhere cheaper to get it?

So I am thinking the HSU-VTF-3-MK4

or maybe even spending the extra money (220.00 more) and get the HSU CTF-15H

Or is that an overkill?
post #51 of 80 Old 04-12-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Another vote for the VTF3-MK4 and if you pick up a copy of Widescreen Review you will see why its a well endorsed sub on this forum.
post #52 of 80 Old 04-12-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Quote:

HSU VTF-3-MK4
or
SVS PB12-NSD
or
Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX

For that room I think you're still going to want more and should get it out of the way now...at least one Epik Empire is my recommendation (dual 15" drivers). Too bad if you're in socal, if you were in the better part of California ( ), you could come over and hear for yourself (as another AVS forum member is doing tonite).

post #53 of 80 Old 04-12-2012, 01:05 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:

Thanks guys..... I have been doing a little reading (Although I dont understand it al.. LOL) and I think the HSU is the best choice. Also I can drive out there and pick it up tomorrow. I called and left them a voicemail. It looks as if they have it lsisted for 659.00. Is that a fair price or is there somewhere cheaper to get it?

So I am thinking the HSU-VTF-3-MK4

or maybe even spending the extra money (220.00 more) and get the HSU CTF-15H

Or is that an overkill?

You should have known Transformers was going to kill that sub Those movies are certified sub killers. That is why people go out and spend 8k on Seatons, Caps, Ultra's etc. just for those type of movies.

If you are 90% loud movie lover with special emphasis on movies like Transformers 3 (terrible movie by the way), I would say spend the extra $220 on the VTF-15.
post #54 of 80 Old 04-12-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Hsu is in Anaheim, and the VTF3 is probably the best performing of those three. If that isn't too far of a drive for you, call Hsu up and make an appointment for a demonstration.

Why would you prefer the VTF3 over the PB12-NSD?
post #55 of 80 Old 04-12-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

Another vote for the VTF3-MK4 and if you pick up a copy of Widescreen Review you will see why its a well endorsed sub on this forum.

The PB12-NSD is also well endorsed on this forum along with Epik Empire.
post #56 of 80 Old 04-12-2012, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

Id say the vtf3 since he can locally pick it up. Whether it "outperforms" a pb12, can't say but the savings thanks to no shipping is nice!

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

post #57 of 80 Old 04-12-2012, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

I just called HSU. They said I can come by in the morning and pick up the VTF-3-MK4 at 10 am. So unless someone talks me out of it and tells me not to do it I think I will go for it..... $660.00 plus tax.
post #58 of 80 Old 04-12-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Id say the vtf3 since he can locally pick it up. Whether it "outperforms" a pb12, can't say but the savings thanks to no shipping is nice!

What does it matter if its a local pick up? Since he's in California he's still going to have to pay about 9.25 in sales tax and gas money to get to HSU through thick LA traffic.
post #59 of 80 Old 04-12-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 536
Quote:

Compare the measurements that audioholics took from the Outlaw LFM-1 EX and PB12 NSD, you'll see the Outlaw outperforms the PB12 by a pretty wide margin. The VTF3 will have roughly the same performance of the Outlaw except for better deep bass performance. The VTF3 also comes with features not on the PB12 such as Q control and adjustable tuning.
post #60 of 80 Old 04-12-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What does it matter if its a local pick up? Since he's in California he's still going to have to pay about 9.25 in sales tax and gas money to get to HSU through thick LA traffic.

Not very compelling my friend lol and 10am la traffic?

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page