post #61 of 80 Old 04-12-2012, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

What does it matter if its a local pick up?

instant gratification.

Quote:

Since he's in California he's still going to have to pay about 9.25 in sales tax and gas money to get to HSU through thick LA traffic.

True, that probably nullifies any savings on shipping. On the plus side, he doesn't have to worry risking any damage from shipping. And also, if the sub has a problem, he can just drive it over to have it fixed- lots easier and cheaper than shipping an 80 lbs unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 80 Old 04-12-2012, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
And I really want it by this weekend. It is only an hour away. I don't have to go thru LA or anywhere close.
post #63 of 80 Old 04-12-2012, 02:13 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinomike View Post

And I really want it by this weekend. It is only an hour away. I don't have to go thru LA or anywhere close.

If you don't mind me asking, how far are you from HSU? I guess the instant gratification pointed out above rings true. Might be a nice drive and good expirience.
post #64 of 80 Old 04-12-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

instant gratification.

True, that probably nullifies any savings on shipping. On the plus side, he doesn't have to worry risking any damage from shipping. And also, if the sub has a problem, he can just drive it over to have it fixed- lots easier and cheaper than shipping an 80 lbs unit.

PLUS he can demo the other subs too!

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #65 of 80 Old 04-12-2012, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 93
Quote:

I just called HSU. They said I can come by in the morning and pick up the VTF-3-MK4 at 10 am. So unless someone talks me out of it and tells me not to do it I think I will go for it..... $660.00 plus tax.

The demo itself should answer your questions as to whether you will be happy with it but be careful they have a VTF-15H there also and a few started out for the VTF3 and walked out with the 15. But at that price I will be willing to bet there is no match to that.
post #66 of 80 Old 04-12-2012, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

instant gratification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

The demo itself should answer your questions as to whether you will be happy with it but be careful they have a VTF-15H there also and a few started out for the VTF3 and walked out with the 15. But at that price I will be willing to bet there is no match to that.

Don't ask to demo the 15h...you wouldn't be able to resist the temptations lol

In the end you might come back here telling us you got dualdrives lol

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

post #67 of 80 Old 04-12-2012, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:

If you don't mind me asking, how far are you from HSU? I guess the instant gratification pointed out above rings true. Might be a nice drive and good expirience.

About 70 miles.... 1 hour drive.
post #68 of 80 Old 04-12-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:

You drive fast. 70 miles in one hour!!
post #69 of 80 Old 04-12-2012, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:

What does it matter if its a local pick up? Since he's in California he's still going to have to pay about 9.25 in sales tax and gas money to get to HSU through thick LA traffic.

Well, the SVS is $769 and the Outlaw is $813 shipped. The HSU would be $711 and change based on the tax rate in Irvine which is 7.75%. That's a $58 or $102 savings before gas depending on which you are comparing to. Not much of a savings over the SVS after fuel costs, but he gets a better product for less according to the other posters and he gets it tomorrow. A 12.5% savings over the Outlaw is quite considerable for a slightly better product (again, according to the other posters).

No idea where in SoCal he lives, but depending on timing there may or may not be much traffic. I know. I drive to Irvine from near downtown LA quite often.
post #70 of 80 Old 04-12-2012, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You should consider joining the LA HT group on the 21st to check out some of the members theaters. We are a pretty active group

post #71 of 80 Old 04-12-2012, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You drive fast. 70 miles in one hour!!

Sounds like he's coming from south OC or north SD counties. There are sections of the 5 down there where the speed limit is 70 IIRC. You just have to play Frogger with the illegals running across the freeway on occasion.
post #72 of 80 Old 04-12-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post

Well, the SVS is $769 and the Outlaw is $813 shipped. The HSU would be $711 and change based on the tax rate in Irvine which is 7.75%. That's a $58 or $102 savings before gas depending on which you are comparing to. Not much of a savings over the SVS after fuel costs, but he gets a better product for less according to the other posters and he gets it tomorrow. A 12.5% savings over the Outlaw is quite considerable for a slightly better product (again, according to the other posters).

No idea where in SoCal he lives, but depending on timing there may or may not be much traffic. I know. I drive to Irvine from near downtown LA quite often.

I can't contend with most of what you have written, however I still would like to know why HSU is considered better than the SVS.
post #73 of 80 Old 04-12-2012, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can't contend with most of what you have written, however I still would like to know why HSU is considered better than the SVS.

Like I said, I don't know myself, but others have posted it. See below.

Quote:

Compare the measurements that audioholics took from the Outlaw LFM-1 EX and PB12 NSD, you'll see the Outlaw outperforms the PB12 by a pretty wide margin. The VTF3 will have roughly the same performance of the Outlaw except for better deep bass performance. The VTF3 also comes with features not on the PB12 such as Q control and adjustable tuning.

A>B B>C then A>C

HSU is slightly better than the Outlaw, Outlaw is better than the SVS then the HSU must be better than the SVS as well.
post #74 of 80 Old 04-12-2012, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:

I have an EX (that's my affiliation ). If you are willing to make the drive, go listen and get an HSU

But I agree with the others. In your size room, the VTF-15H does make a lot of sense.

post #75 of 80 Old 04-12-2012, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 93
The models in comparison the HSU will dig a little deeper and the amp has more headroom also most have never been able to push the HSU into making strange sounds part of that may be do to using dual ports and the rest into a evenly matched design that being said doubt he would be disappointed with either.
post #76 of 80 Old 04-12-2012, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post

Like I said, I don't know myself, but others have posted it. See below.

A>B B>C then A>C

HSU is slightly better than the Outlaw, Outlaw is better than the SVS then the HSU must be better than the SVS as well.

We have to be careful what we mean by 'better' here. The Outlaw has more clean output overall, but the SVS has less distortion per db. Personally, I would rather have the Outlaw anyway since the distortion would be inaudible until you are hitting very high output levels, maybe louder than the PB12 can get in the first place. Another thing is the Outlaw can really start to chuff when driving high output in low frequencies, I would guess much sooner than the PB12 given the PB12's larger and longer port. However, in those circumstances the high volumes at other frequencies can often mask the chuffing so it's unnoticeable. Another advantage the PB12 has is it has a more powerful limiter which, if I understand the technology correctly, absolutely protects the driver from bottoming out. While a user is not likely to bottom out the Outlaw, it is possible, although I have never been able to do it and I have driven that thing pretty hard.

My own preference leads me to Outlaw, but it is not a cut-and-dried matter of one sub being better than the other. We also have to keep in mind that the Outlaw is larger and weighs more. They both have their advantages, and neither sub could really be considered a poor value or bad choice.
post #77 of 80 Old 04-12-2012, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:

I just called HSU. They said I can come by in the morning and pick up the VTF-3-MK4 at 10 am. So unless someone talks me out of it and tells me not to do it I think I will go for it..... $660.00 plus tax.

For what's it's worth and i'm sure they'll ask about your room, you have a large space to fill. It would well worth it to discuss that with them.
post #78 of 80 Old 05-02-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

I get surprised when people will omit a sub because they think it makes the music sound bad the only way I see that happening is a bad sub design or operating beyond it's limits or settings are wrong in the pre-pro/AVR and yes I am 50/50 HT/music.

Audiophiles are skeptical about subs because of the impression that the HT crowd has given them.
post #79 of 80 Old 05-02-2012, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

We have to be careful what we mean by 'better' here. The Outlaw has more clean output overall, but the SVS has less distortion per db. Personally, I would rather have the Outlaw anyway since the distortion would be inaudible until you are hitting very high output levels, maybe louder than the PB12 can get in the first place. Another thing is the Outlaw can really start to chuff when driving high output in low frequencies, I would guess much sooner than the PB12 given the PB12's larger and longer port. However, in those circumstances the high volumes at other frequencies can often mask the chuffing so it's unnoticeable. Another advantage the PB12 has is it has a more powerful limiter which, if I understand the technology correctly, absolutely protects the driver from bottoming out. While a user is not likely to bottom out the Outlaw, it is possible, although I have never been able to do it and I have driven that thing pretty hard.

My own preference leads me to Outlaw, but it is not a cut-and-dried matter of one sub being better than the other. We also have to keep in mind that the Outlaw is larger and weighs more. They both have their advantages, and neither sub could really be considered a poor value or bad choice.

Very informative post.
post #80 of 80 Old 05-02-2012, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 726
Quote:

Audiophiles are skeptical about subs because of the impression that the HT crowd has given them.

Or got scared when the low rider went by with the subs a poundin' :0

The HT crowd? As opposed to the audiophool crowd?

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page