Is grounded extension cable out of power strip into sub necessary? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 43 Old 03-23-2012, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 277
I suggest you go on Monoprice.com a buy a decent power strip with a built in surge protector. This one also has a noise filter and a built in circuit breaker.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 03-23-2012, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Obviously the reason why I want my subs plugged into APC is for surge protection for my subs. My APC has plugs for Surge protection only without battery backup and this is the plug I'm connecting the white power strip to. Which again is currently hooked up to my subs. And yes it will have the advantage of being able to turn off when not in use because white power strip has a on/off switch. What is the danger or negative consequences of keeping my current setup with white power strip into APC as opposed to buying $10 surge powerstrip from monoprice linked to above and plugging into a different wall outlet? The other thnigs plugged into my APC is epson 1080 ub projector with 25 ft power cable, S3 tivo, Denon 989 receiver. Won't my APC provide better surge protection for my subs that the $10 one from monoprice? Thanks!
post #33 of 43 Old 03-23-2012, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
None of those devices, including the APC, actually do much for surge protection. Others can say differently, but I have several friends who are electricians. Unless you are using a whole house surge protector at the main, nothing really does much against surges. Also, the APC is essentially a power strip. It isn't advisable to plug power strips into each other.

In addition, as I and several other have mentioned, it is likely that your APC is being overloaded by the amount of equipment you have plugged into it. Hence the beeping you hear at times and possibly the dimming lights you see. If you must run a setup with the 2nd power strip, perhaps consider a higher capacity APC device.

Please understand, I'm just trying to save you from damaging your equipment and even worse causing a fire.
post #34 of 43 Old 03-23-2012, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

What is the problem with plugging white power strip into my APC? Asside from the fact you percieve no real bennifit of protecting my equpment what is downside danger of overloading my APC how it's plugged now. I'ts more than the subs that can be damaged right? Surge can go from Subs into receiver? This setup has been working for me fine the last two days I've had it set up this way btw.
post #35 of 43 Old 03-23-2012, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Overloading the APC can cause the device/batteries to overheat and fail. This could potentially start a fire.

From APC itself:

"APC recommends against the use of any surge protector, power strip or extension cord being plugged into the output of any APC Back-UPS and Smart-UPS products."
post #36 of 43 Old 03-23-2012, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought since I'm not plugged into battery back up APC port, instead plugged into surge protection only plug of APC, overheating wouldn't be a problem? Regardless, if plugging the powerstrip into APC is ill advised as APC's recommendation then I won't do it. Curious as to why's a bad idea though. So now I decide if I keep white power strip and plug into different wall receptacle or splurge the extra $10 and replace white power strip with the monoprice surge protector which may or may not have any value.
post #37 of 43 Old 03-23-2012, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
leiff, you seem to be stubbornly stuck onto the idea of plugging your white power strip into the APC.

As it is, dharel did you a favour by checking into APC's recommendation and pointing it out to you. As the APC owner it is your responsibility to find out these things for yourself. Yet, despite all these things being pointed out to you, you keep asking for further justification. Why ask the forumers if it is ill advised or not? You have seen APC's recommendation and you should be asking APC if you are still curious.

You have also said your apartment isn't lightning prone. So just go ahead and plug the white power strip into another wall receptacle. What's the big deal? Why are you still so hesitant about that?
post #38 of 43 Old 03-23-2012, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Right, that's what I'll be doing then unless someone here wants to snuggest replacing the cheap white power strip with something else? Since I get frequent spikes in power output in my apartment as seen when my lights dim expectantly was wondering if noise filter or some other feature might be benneficial if surge protection is not. Surge protection not really helping after electricity is restored after outage? And yes like I said I won't be plugging strip into APC since APC advises against it. I was just curious why they did. Didn't mean to bother you by expressing my curiosity. Advise appreciated. Sorry if it didn't feel that way.
post #39 of 43 Old 03-23-2012, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post

And yes like I said I won't be plugging strip into APC since APC advises against it. I was just curious why they did.

This information is readily available by APC.

http://nam-en.apc.com/app/answers/de...surge%20strips

If you have any additional questions regarding your set-up, please call APC technical support at 800-800-4272 (Mon-Fr 8am-8pm EST).
post #40 of 43 Old 03-23-2012, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

additional question was simply is there value in replacing my cheap power strip with a more expensive one with surge protection/noise filter ect...
post #41 of 43 Old 03-23-2012, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post

additional question was simply is there value in replacing my cheap power strip with a more expensive one with surge protection/noise filter ect...

I have been using a power strip like the one I recommended for years and have never had an issue. I have two subs, an AVR, a DVR, a BD player and a plasma TV. The Monoprice unit has an electrical rating of 1875 watts and a 15 amp circuit breaker for overload protection. If you read the specs you will see it's the only thing you really need and it won't put a hole in your wallet. I hope I answered your question more precisely.

Ian

post #42 of 43 Old 03-24-2012, 12:31 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 206
A few things;

IMO
"Surge protection", as portrayed here and elsewhere is largely useless. Real attempts at mitigating voltage surges, brownouts etc, do not include devices such as these.
---
Never plug an amplification device into UPS/surge protection devices,... due to potential current limiting effects. Plug them into the wall.
---
Most "power strips" don't offer anything but switching capability. Any surge protection is laughable,....and if it actually possesses adequate surge protection, your subs don't need it anyway.
---
Never use single insulated, "zip cord" style extension cords. Double insulated is the way to go. Now, only use extension cords if nessesary,...and if you do use one, use a quality with quality cord caps.
---
The APC products discussed by the OP are not reliable. I've purchased them for multiple PC workstations for my kids. They were used in several hundred HVAC control cabinets at Lucas Oil Stadium, and a vast majority of them encountered problems. Even when new, they exhibited problematic behavior upon their first power outage and subsequent usage. I've experienced the same issue with half of the small APC models I bought. Their somewhat larger products perform much better.

Thanks and good luck

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #43 of 43 Old 03-24-2012, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

This is just one of the numerous articles I have found recommending the use of surge protectors:

http://carpesomediem.hubpages.com/hu...rge-protection

Now I don't want to get into a pissing contest here, so my point is, that regardless of the opinions on this thread about this option, I personally feel it's better to be safe then sorry.

Ian

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page