Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 58 Old 03-20-2012, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I sent an email waiting on a response.

Cedar Point's rollercoaster Top Thrill Dragster has a really massive woofer enclosure under the lauch portion of the track. What ever it is its really loud and you can feel it 20-30ft away outside. They use it for engine rumbles and the vrooom at take off. Ridiculous crazy, might be closest you could get to a real Top Fuel car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAOQB...eature=related

Got it but far from practical its the R6-Basshorn
http://www.proacousticsusa.com/produ....php?pId=10781
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 Old 03-22-2012, 01:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by its phillip View Post

I've been relatively close (couple hundred feet) to F-15s and F-16s taking off, and those can get pretty damn loud. No idea how they would compare to a Top Fuel racer though D:

I used to watch from outside the tower when I was stationed on a carrier....Though quite impressive, the FA-18s and F-14s have nothing on a close-range Top Fuel car.
post #33 of 58 Old 03-22-2012, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Son View Post

I used to watch from outside the tower when I was stationed on a carrier....Though quite impressive, the FA-18s and F-14s have nothing on a close-range Top Fuel car.

Ah. That just makes the Top Fuel cars sound even crazier

post #34 of 58 Old 10-13-2012, 06:31 PM

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

When I was living in the mainland, I frequented Byron drag strip in Illinois more than a few times. It was there that I witnessed both a top fuel (guy getting his license) run and at another time the jet semi.

The top fuel was loud and powerful for sure but the shear "pressure" and literal teeth rattling low frequency of the three jets was certainly more visceral than the fueler.

I wish I could remember where the photos of the jet are. Damn!

For both I was near the fence and so maybe 50-75ft away. Pretty much no contest in my mind, ears and bones

Gene

Pretty sure the truck you're talking about is "Shockwave". According to Wikipedia, it uses 3 Westinghouse J34 engines which make around 3000lb of thrust each. Or about 30,000 horsepower. It's displacing more air, so I assume it should be capable of higher decibels, however having seen both top fuel and shockwave in person, it seems the top fuel cars are still louder, atleast at frequencies which we're sensitive to through hearing or feel.
post #35 of 58 Old 10-13-2012, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanc View Post

Pretty sure the truck you're talking about is "Shockwave". According to Wikipedia, it uses 3 Westinghouse J34 engines which make around 3000lb of thrust each. Or about 30,000 horsepower. It's displacing more air, so I assume it should be capable of higher decibels, however having seen both top fuel and shockwave in person, it seems the top fuel cars are still louder, atleast at frequencies which we're sensitive to through hearing or feel.
The Trent 900 engine on Airbus A380 has 70,000 - 80,000 lbf thrust. biggrin.gif
Wiki link

It'll be better if we can have the space shuttle launch (millions of lbf) feeling in our HT. biggrin.gif
post #36 of 58 Old 10-13-2012, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I would of loved to have heard the Saturn 5 Rocket Launch down to 0 HZ WOW!! I doubt anything beats that

post #37 of 58 Old 10-14-2012, 04:34 AM

If you have never heard a top fuel car, you cannot imagine it. Pay any price, drive any distance, sell any body part, but go see a top fuel race one time in your life. Then check back on this thread and leave your impressions. I can say the answer is if some system configuration could replicate the sound, it would have so much cone area/volume and have power requirements that could not be accommodated in a residential building both in terms of size and power grid distribution.
post #38 of 58 Old 10-16-2012, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
A top fuel run is a thing by itself on another level, especially the first 60 feet. I dont know a lot about subs, but I cannot imagine anything being able to replicate it. a jet can make more power im sure, but the experience of a top fuel car going balls to the wall on a run is just plain on another level in terms of sound and feel.
post #39 of 58 Old 10-16-2012, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
And I should say I was in the air force for a while and have heard jet engines and have seen jet cars. Top fuel cars literally make you feel like your eyes are going to vibrate out of your face, and I love it!
post #40 of 58 Old 10-16-2012, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
OK, time to bring the Matterhorn up to the garage door!

matterhorn_subwoofer.jpg

No, you can't bring it in the house, but I bet it can fairly easily manage the top fuel dragster. Set you gear up in the garage and back the Matterhorn up to the garage door.

Of course you would have to make sure the military wasn't using it that day.

I can't begin to calculate what 105 db at 250 Meters feels like with the Matterhorn backed up to a garage. So, we are talking ~30 feet. You guys can extrapolate from 250 meters to 30 feet.

As has been pointed out, speakers from the like of JTR would also be needed.
post #41 of 58 Old 10-16-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

OK, time to bring the Matterhorn up to the garage door!
matterhorn_subwoofer.jpg
No, you can't bring it in the house, but I bet it can fairly easily manage the top fuel dragster. Set you gear up in the garage and back the Matterhorn up to the garage door.
Of course you would have to make sure the military wasn't using it that day.
I can't begin to calculate what 105 db at 250 Meters feels like with the Matterhorn backed up to a garage. So, we are talking ~30 feet. You guys can extrapolate from 250 meters to 30 feet.
As has been pointed out, speakers from the like of JTR would also be needed.

The matterhorn looks like 40 15 inch horn loaded drivers. There are no speakers to keep up or do a Top fual Dragster justice, maybe a line array of SH-50's? I am assuming here that it will require maybe 160 dBs at 1 meter or so(not sure on the range, but lets assume again 10hz-20khz. The Matterhorn is maybe 130 dBs at 1 meter for 5hz outside? Is that 105 dBs at 250 meters at 5 hz then that is what I get at 1 meter. Of course it gets much louder from 20-100hz so one matterhorn should do it.
post #42 of 58 Old 10-16-2012, 09:48 AM

Liked: 801
Forgive my not understanding, but why would one want to reproduce the sound of a pair of top fuel dragsters taking off at the staging point? First hand, I've stood next to the track, Fremont Raceways, California, in the late 70's. Que the rocket car.

Last night, we watched a movie. A very good, entertaining, hour-and-a-half. worth of movie. Tonight, we'll do the same, an hour-and-a-half or two hours or so, of mindless entertainment. Where did I go wrong with the whole sound reproduction thingy? When did home theater become about the rumble and tumble of a 120dB worth of 8,000 H.P.?

I'm not trying to cause trouble with my question, I'm trying to understand why the question when I thought it was about accurate home theater, THX reference level, sound reproduction. And if someone wants to reproduce the start of a race between two top fuel dragsters, and their system can accurately replicate this experience, a tip of a hat and a beer for them and their guest with appetizers of choice for the dedication of the individual to this end.

(It seems to go from THX reference levels, to four 18" subs to accurate reproduction of specific events; top fuel dragsters and then I suppose, the Space Shuttle launch. Now that's rumble.)

..............................???

I got out of bed this morning. tongue.gif

-
post #43 of 58 Old 10-16-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 95
what about a space shuttle launch at cape canaveral?

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #44 of 58 Old 10-16-2012, 10:10 AM

You got there before my edit.

......biggrin.gif

Which is harder to reproduce, the sound quality of a Saturn V launch or that of a Shuttle launch?
post #45 of 58 Old 10-16-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
II hope that any of you who might seriously contemplate reproducing sounds at 140 db or louder are prepared to visit the hearing (aid) center. 140 is the sound of a get plane up close. Why do you think that those who have manuver those planes are all wearing professional ear muffs which attenuate by at least 30 db...?
post #46 of 58 Old 10-16-2012, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

The matterhorn looks like 40 15 inch horn loaded drivers. There are no speakers to keep up or do a Top fual Dragster justice, maybe a line array of SH-50's? I am assuming here that it will require maybe 160 dBs at 1 meter or so(not sure on the range, but lets assume again 10hz-20khz. The Matterhorn is maybe 130 dBs at 1 meter for 5hz outside? Is that 105 dBs at 250 meters at 5 hz then that is what I get at 1 meter. Of course it gets much louder from 20-100hz so one matterhorn should do it.

If it's 105 dB @ 250m, shouldn't it be something like 152 dB @ 1m? You drop 6dB for every doubling of distance, right?

post #47 of 58 Old 10-16-2012, 11:02 AM

I've been to the Mopar Mile High Nationals at Bandimere Speedway. You want to talk about a wall of sound and vibration? I've never felt anything even close to that. I was sitting in the concrete bleachers and would swear that they were vibrating - doesn't seem possible, but that is what it felt like. biggrin.gif
post #48 of 58 Old 10-16-2012, 11:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by its phillip View Post

If it's 105 dB @ 250m, shouldn't it be something like 152 dB @ 1m? You drop 6dB for every doubling of distance, right?

Oops! I used 3 dBs and not 6.
post #49 of 58 Old 10-16-2012, 11:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Forgive my not understanding, but why would one want to reproduce the sound of a pair of top fuel dragsters taking off at the staging point? First hand, I've stood next to the track, Fremont Raceways, California, in the late 70's. Que the rocket car.
Last night, we watched a movie. A very good, entertaining, hour-and-a-half. worth of movie. Tonight, we'll do the same, an hour-and-a-half or two hours or so, of mindless entertainment. Where did I go wrong with the whole sound reproduction thingy? When did home theater become about the rumble and tumble of a 120dB worth of 8,000 H.P.?
I'm not trying to cause trouble with my question, I'm trying to understand why the question when I thought it was about accurate home theater, THX reference level, sound reproduction. And if someone wants to reproduce the start of a race between two top fuel dragsters, and their system can accurately replicate this experience, a tip of a hat and a beer for them and their guest with appetizers of choice for the dedication of the individual to this end.
(It seems to go from THX reference levels, to four 18" subs to accurate reproduction of specific events; top fuel dragsters and then I suppose, the Space Shuttle launch. Now that's rumble.)
..............................???
I got out of bed this morning. tongue.gif
-

I agree except I think the guys are having fun with this. It would take something like the Matterhorn and to experience this in room would cause some damage, now this would be a good time for Auditor55, wait, nevermind.
post #50 of 58 Old 10-16-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:

I agree except I think the guys are having fun with this. It would take something like the Matterhorn and to experience this in room would cause some damage, now this would be a good time for Auditor55, wait, nevermind.

It would make for a heck of a YouTube video titled; "The Destruction of our Home."
post #51 of 58 Old 10-16-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yep, could destroy some floors and windows from all the pressure build up. If you can feel the pressure in an open track from 100 feet away enclose this in a room and say bye bye to something, your ears for sure but maybe it could dislodge some blood clots and cause someone to stroke out! Of course Auditor55 will take this and use it for HT watching somehow.
post #52 of 58 Old 10-16-2012, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:

Yep, could destroy some floors and windows from all the pressure build up. If you can feel the pressure in an open track from 100 feet away enclose this in a room and say bye bye to something, your ears for sure but maybe it could dislodge some blood clots and cause someone to stroke out! Of course Auditor55 will take this and use it for HT watching somehow.

He's probably too busy trying to predict the number of ULF induced fatalities at the NJ/PA sub GTG to read this thread:rolleyes:
post #53 of 58 Old 10-16-2012, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 256
^^ Personally, I will be very disappointed if there aren't at least a couple of cases of Tinnitus as a result ... tongue.gif

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #54 of 58 Old 10-16-2012, 11:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

^^^ OK, now you are trying to draw him in, Bored are you MK??? wink.gif

You know as I was typing and the name popped in my head I asked myself is it worth it! However, although we are having fun and I don't think anyone has died from attending one of these races from sound I thought having one launch in my house could destroy every window in the house. Yeah, could be bad but imagine the headroom. eek.gif
post #55 of 58 Old 10-16-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I'd like to think i have a decent HT setup. But having experienced the TOP fuel cars at Pomona several times, i can say IT'S NOT EVEN CLOSE! I remember growing up we lived about 13 miles from the track and you could somewhat hear them going down the strip.

It's one of those things you just have to experience first hand.
post #56 of 58 Old 10-16-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

^^ Personally, I will be very disappointed if there aren't at least a couple of cases of Tinnitus as a result ... tongue.gif

If they keep it at reference(speakers) then they will be fine. It is the very loud music that will get them.
post #57 of 58 Old 10-16-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:

You know as I was typing and the name popped in my head I asked myself is it worth it! However, although we are having fun and I don't think anyone has died from attending one of these races from sound I thought having one launch in my house could destroy every window in the house. Yeah, could be bad but imagine the headroom. eek.gif

As you can see, I deleted this but not before you quoted it. The thought of more pages of his lame protestations was too much to bear ... eek.giftongue.gif

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #58 of 58 Old 10-25-2012, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

I would think recorded lightning strikes would have some great low end.

haha how about this.. has a loud beep tone to cover language after the strike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm3rHONOr9o&feature=my_liked_videos&list=LLxgfF8xylsAZexesaXsdCQQ
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page