Can any Sub give a Top Fuel launch feeling???? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 58 Old 03-17-2012, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there any Consumer AKA Home Theater Subwoofers out there that can produce the chest pounding feel of a Top Fuel dragster launching off the starting line?

Have you ever been to a pro top fuel or funny car race, if so you know the feeling. Play the below sound bite and tell me if it was close to the same feeling.

http://www.audiosparx.com/sa/summary...und_iid.244987
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 Old 03-17-2012, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Yes there are a few, but depending on the size of the room, it would take multiples of them. Also just as important would be having very powerful main speakers. Very much of the sound of dragsters falls well above the bass range. Without the mains holding up their end, it's not going to sound realistic.
post #3 of 58 Old 03-17-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I played the track. Not much low end there. Chest thump comes from midbass and need good mains as mojo said.
post #4 of 58 Old 03-17-2012, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Great website though. They got some extremely well recorded, high quality tracks.

Turn this one up: http://www.audiosparx.com/sa/summary...und_iid.512019
post #5 of 58 Old 03-17-2012, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I would think recorded lightning strikes would have some great low end.
post #6 of 58 Old 03-17-2012, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

Great website though. They got some extremely well recorded, high quality tracks.

Turn this one up: http://www.audiosparx.com/sa/summary...und_iid.512019

I Love it, good down to a solid 12hz anyway. Lots of bass frequency variaty there. Good energy 12-200hz

The top fuel track is nice too mostly centered 35-70hz but a little going on down to 15hz

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
post #7 of 58 Old 03-18-2012, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Oddly enough I used this exact analogy to describe my experience with the JTR Captivator back in July of 2011 a few months after I heard the sub for the first time.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...2&postcount=17

Actually either the ported JTR Captivators or the more powerful horn design Orbit Shifters should do well in attempt to replicate the experience.

I've been to top fuel Harley drag racers with 800 hp bikes that run the 1/8 mile at > 200mph. A cousin of mine won the national championship a couple years back. Phil Schmidt.

JTR subs are the only subs I've experienced personally that can approach that craziness -- though to be perfectly frank - those 800hp engines with no exhaust systems are nearly otherworldly!

But as mojo said that isn't all bass that you experience at the dragstrip!

JTR speakers also makes mains that scream too!

http://jtrspeakers.com/

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #8 of 58 Old 03-18-2012, 07:27 PM

Liked: 46
Top Fuel drag bikes are nowhere near the audio volume of a top fuel dragster.

We're talking 7-900 horsepower versus somewhere around 7000 horsepower. The power a nitrobike makes is a bit over the power required just to turn the supercharger on the top fuel dragster/funnycar engines.

The loudness of a top fuel dragster is a lot more than just the low range. Yes it has the chest rumble but they're so loud that they're beyond loud and into force. Loud enough that when we still recorded video onto tape, the volume from the stands would knock the tape off the recording head and the playback of the video would be distorted.
post #9 of 58 Old 03-18-2012, 08:27 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmccool View Post

Is there any Consumer AKA Home Theater Subwoofers out there that can produce the chest pounding feel of a Top Fuel dragster launching off the starting line?

Have you ever been to a pro top fuel or funny car race, if so you know the feeling. Play the below sound bite and tell me if it was close to the same feeling.

You need pure, effortless output. Loudness. Over most of the important audible spectrum. Subwoofers will never give you to effect of witnessing a Top Fuel dragster. You need serious mains to cover midrange and a huge bass array for midbass. Deep bass and any combination of 'ID' subs will never get you there.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #10 of 58 Old 03-18-2012, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Yeah, I agree, it isn't really going to happen. Even that recording sounds more like what I used to hear in the parking line at Sears Point/Infineon. In the stands it's supremely visceral. You know it's coming and yet your brain and body just go "OMGWTF?!" on each pass. I mean, it's a freakin' bomb with wheels.
post #11 of 58 Old 03-18-2012, 10:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

I seriously doubt it. You're so far over the pressure level that any consumer system can provide. A quick point of reference (not taking into account things like cam profiles and real-world operation) is that a 500 inch engine at 8k is cycling 2 million cubic inches/minute.

Not to say that I wouldn't absolutely love to have a system that can realistically duplicate that feeling. I don't know any other match. Being on the starting line is almost like you're about to black out because of the pressure change. For those who haven't experienced it, it's like the world blurs out and then you start to lose your vision. Peripheral vision closes down to tunnel vision, then right before the last bit of blurred vision goes away, the run is over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanc View Post

Top Fuel drag bikes are nowhere near the audio volume of a top fuel dragster.

We're talking 7-900 horsepower versus somewhere around 7000 horsepower. The power a nitrobike makes is a bit over the power required just to turn the supercharger on the top fuel dragster/funnycar engines.

The loudness of a top fuel dragster is a lot more than just the low range. Yes it has the chest rumble but they're so loud that they're beyond loud and into force. Loud enough that when we still recorded video onto tape, the volume from the stands would knock the tape off the recording head and the playback of the video would be distorted.

Force is a good word. It's so much beyond sound.
post #12 of 58 Old 03-19-2012, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraxoin View Post

Yeah, I agree, it isn't really going to happen. Even that recording sounds more like what I used to hear in the parking line at Sears Point/Infineon. In the stands it's supremely visceral. You know it's coming and yet your brain and body just go "OMGWTF?!" on each pass. I mean, it's a freakin' bomb with wheels.

Yes it is a bomb on wheels, 7000 horses all pounding away in just over 3 seconds.

Yea I kind of new the answer to this question before I posted it, however I would like to know what is the closest thing to this with in a average cumsumers reach. Gotta dream you know.
post #13 of 58 Old 03-19-2012, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Yes it is a bomb on wheels, 7000 horses all pounding away in just over 3 seconds.

Yea I kind of new the answer to this question before I posted it, however I would like to know what is the closest thing to this with in a average cumsumers reach. Gotta dream you know.

Probably a full arrangement from Seating Sound or JTR, and even then not really in reach for the "average customer".
post #14 of 58 Old 03-19-2012, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
^^^^do you mean Seaton Sound??? If so, AVS member counsil has 5 of the HP versions of the Submersive PLUS 4 epik empires. So are you saying he should be getting that feel?
post #15 of 58 Old 03-19-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimwyn View Post

^^^^do you mean Seaton Sound??? If so, AVS member counsil has 5 of the HP versions of the Submersive PLUS 4 epik empires. So are you saying he should be getting that feel?

I'm saying its probably "the closest thing" that is within reach of "the average customer". No, I do not believe he should (or will) get close to a top fuel dragster.
post #16 of 58 Old 03-19-2012, 08:52 AM

BTW, I said an arrangement from Seaton or JTR because, as several have mentioned here, there is more than just bass reproduction involved in this scenario. JTR and Seaton speakers are very well respected here. Have 10 subs isn't going to do much of anything in the mid/upper frequencies.
post #17 of 58 Old 03-19-2012, 09:15 AM

If someone wants to burn a copy and bring it the JTR's open house we can see how it sounds
post #18 of 58 Old 03-19-2012, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanc View Post

And yet that pales in comparison to the sound coming from a triple jet engine semi-tractor drag setup

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #19 of 58 Old 03-19-2012, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I have to say, that it might be cool to experience, I think it would take a lot of power to mimic a top fuel dragster doing a 1/4 mile. Years ago, I went to an event and I was able to go into the pits. It was really cool except for the fact that the fumes were toxic. During the race, I was standing at least 10-20 feet away from the track near the fence. When the first dragster went down the track, I literally felt the air pressure from it and it knocked me on my ass. For real. The shock wave was something I had never experienced before. It was pretty cool though. Not sure if a sub(s) can reproduce that.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #20 of 58 Old 03-19-2012, 10:20 AM

Liked: 11
My wife and I used to buy tickets to drag finals every year and find a way to skip all classes but top fuel... it is THE show to watch.

NO, there is not a theater setup that can replicate that experience.
post #21 of 58 Old 03-19-2012, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have been to maybe 10 events and it never gets old. Unreal pressurization.
I get giddy like a 10 year old getting an ice cream cone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

I have to say, that it might be cool to experience, I think it would take a lot of power to mimic a top fuel dragster doing a 1/4 mile. Years ago, I went to an event and I was able to go into the pits. It was really cool except for the fact that the fumes were toxic. During the race, I was standing at least 10-20 feet away from the track near the fence. When the first dragster went down the track, I literally felt the air pressure from it and it knocked me on my ass. For real. The shock wave was something I had never experienced before. It was pretty cool though. Not sure if a sub(s) can reproduce that.

post #22 of 58 Old 03-19-2012, 02:09 PM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post

My wife and I used to buy tickets to drag finals every year and find a way to skip all classes but top fuel... it is THE show to watch.

NO, there is not a theater setup that can replicate that experience.

It could be done, but how practical is the question.

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
post #23 of 58 Old 03-19-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:

I suppose those decibel drag racing competition car stereos might be able to mimick the sound. To reproduce that sort of feeling, would require a sound system capable of 150db or so according to wikipedia.
post #24 of 58 Old 03-19-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

And yet that pales in comparison to the sound coming from a triple jet engine semi-tractor drag setup

Those are loud too. I am not sure what they make for horsepower but they do move a lot of air. However I still don't think they match the raw db from a top fuel drag motor.
post #25 of 58 Old 03-19-2012, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Having been to Brainerd, MN years ago, for the Nationals, been to huge concerts with line arrays, and large sub systems that literally rip the air in and out of your lungs with every cycle, I still don't think there is anything close on earth that can come close to the fury of a Top Fuel Dragster / Funny Car. Possibly a pair of Danley's JH-90's in a small room with a couple of Rock Monsters?

Even up in the nose bleed section, your eyes jiggle in your head, your chest cavity resonates, and you can't begin to focus on the car during a run. It is beyond loud, even with double hearing protection. ( 33 db nr plugs + good shooting muffs )

Television doesn't even come close to doing them justice, the amount of air and fuel they process.

I have been in the pits during warm ups, and gotten a dose of nitromethane fumes. Not fun, since I wasn't prepared. Stumbing backwards through a retreating crowd with eyes, nose and throat burning wasn't cool. Getting a .090 thick copper head gasket out of Bernstein's engine, and a few pistons, one from Kalitta's engine made up for that though.

Honorable mention for "loud" at least in the HF is an un-muffled 2 stroke snowmobile engine screaming. What a crackle coming from the stingers!

"You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."
post #26 of 58 Old 03-19-2012, 11:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael hurd View Post

Having been to Brainerd, MN years ago, for the Nationals, been to huge concerts with line arrays, and large sub systems that literally rip the air in and out of your lungs with every cycle, I still don't think there is anything close on earth that can come close to the fury of a Top Fuel Dragster / Funny Car. Possibly a pair of Danley's JH-90's in a small room with a couple of Rock Monsters?

Even up in the nose bleed section, your eyes jiggle in your head, your chest cavity resonates, and you can't begin to focus on the car during a run. It is beyond loud, even with double hearing protection. ( 33 db nr plugs + good shooting muffs )

Television doesn't even come close to doing them justice, the amount of air and fuel they process.

I have been in the pits during warm ups, and gotten a dose of nitromethane fumes. Not fun, since I wasn't prepared. Stumbing backwards through a retreating crowd with eyes, nose and throat burning wasn't cool. Getting a .090 thick copper head gasket out of Bernstein's engine, and a few pistons, one from Kalitta's engine made up for that though.

Honorable mention for "loud" at least in the HF is an un-muffled 2 stroke snowmobile engine screaming. What a crackle coming from the stingers!

Bolded, exactly what I mean. Try standing within 20 feet.

post #27 of 58 Old 03-20-2012, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

Have to disagree with this one. Been to the tractor pulls and as awsome as it may be it doesn't have that punch you in the chest instint effect. Jet engines ramp up to there power. I know I work at the Largest Airport in the WORLD and see, hear, and work on these things all day all week

Nationals are comming up in a month or two here in Atlanta, haven't been in a few years and now all these comments are making me think I need to go again. YEH BABY
post #28 of 58 Old 03-20-2012, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:

Have to disagree with this one. Been to the tractor pulls and as awsome as it may be it doesn't have that punch you in the chest instint effect. Jet engines ramp up to there power. I know I work at the Largest Airport in the WORLD and see, hear, and work on these things all day all week

Nationals are comming up in a month or two here in Atlanta, haven't been in a few years and now all these comments are making me think I need to go again. YEH BABY

When I was living in the mainland, I frequented Byron drag strip in Illinois more than a few times. It was there that I witnessed both a top fuel (guy getting his license) run and at another time the jet semi.

The top fuel was loud and powerful for sure but the shear "pressure" and literal teeth rattling low frequency of the three jets was certainly more visceral than the fueler.

I wish I could remember where the photos of the jet are. Damn!
For both I was near the fence and so maybe 50-75ft away. Pretty much no contest in my mind, ears and bones

Gene

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #29 of 58 Old 03-20-2012, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
The noise of a large jet engine at close range can hit 140 db. This level will damage your hearing in a hurry
post #30 of 58 Old 03-20-2012, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 54
I've been relatively close (couple hundred feet) to F-15s and F-16s taking off, and those can get pretty damn loud. No idea how they would compare to a Top Fuel racer though D:

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page