Pairing different brand subs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 03-21-2012, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Howdy!

So I am finishing my basement and am putting an area for movies/music. The area is roughly 3000cu/ft.

My wife generally would not like speakers laying around, so we are trying to keep things clean. I am doing in wall (Polk RT) speakers for the fronts, with 4 Polk speakers in the ceiling for surrounds.

In keeping with her wishes, I plan on putting in a sub that mounts behind the front wall and fires out towards the listening area. The back of this wall opens into the unfinished section of the basement, so I have the room to do that.

I was planning on getting something like and Emotiva X-10 or X-12 for that sub, knowing it isn't so great at very low frequencies, but is sealed and can handle that type of install (I think). Both will barely fit between the studs in the wall.

Later, if needed, I thought about adding another sub in the rear corner of the room(this time in the open, but she won't care as much about that area) that can handle the really low stuff and set the crossover at like 30hz. Of course this would be a differnet brand like HSU.

Am I crazy for thinking this will work well? Any ideas? Is there another option for the front sub?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-22-2012, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Start with the Hsu VTF2.4 or VTF3.4 or one of the other Internet Distributor (ID) companies that make well-regarded subs. You can put the sub in a rear corner of the room and it will do very well (by itself).

Either of these subs will likely overwhelm any Emotiva sub that you would put in the front of the room. In other words, consider only one good sub.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-22-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwinkler View Post

Start with the Hsu VTF2.4 or VTF3.4 or one of the other Internet Distributor (ID) companies that make well-regarded subs. You can put the sub in a rear corner of the room and it will do very well.

Either of these subs will likely overwhelm any Emotiva sub that you would put in the front of the room.

That statement doesn't really make a lot of sense, if you are calibrating your system you shouldn't have set up a system that allow one sub to overwhelm the other.
post #4 of 14 Old 03-22-2012, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I guess I am from the camp if you are going to run 2 subs they should match if one is clean and tight at certain Hz and the other is not then you are only as good as your weakest link.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-22-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nulfire View Post

Howdy!

In keeping with her wishes, I plan on putting in a sub that mounts behind the front wall and fires out towards the listening area. The back of this wall opens into the unfinished section of the basement, so I have the room to do that.

Sounds perfect for an IB installation with a couple of Dayton 12 or 15's. Mount them facing each other in a manifold to cancel vibrations.
post #6 of 14 Old 03-22-2012, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
If you insist on a sealed subwoofer for the front wall space, at least consider something better like the SVS SB-12NSD.

http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/se...&category_id=6

It's only down 3db at 23 Hz.
post #7 of 14 Old 03-22-2012, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

if you insist on a sealed subwoofer for the front wall space, at least consider something better like the svs sb-12nsd.

http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/se...&category_id=6

it's only down 3db at 23 hz.

+1
post #8 of 14 Old 03-22-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

I guess I am from the camp if you are going to run 2 subs they should match if one is clean and tight at certain Hz and the other is not then you are only as good as your weakest link.

Unless you have the pefect audio system there's always going to be a weak link. Identical brand subs are preferred, however different subs are doable.
post #9 of 14 Old 03-23-2012, 12:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

Unless you have the pefect audio system there's always going to be a weak link. Identical brand subs are preferred, however different subs are doable.

A weak link isn't objective... and identical brand subs aren't always preferred.

Nice try though
post #10 of 14 Old 03-23-2012, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrager View Post

Sounds perfect for an IB installation with a couple of Dayton 12 or 15's. Mount them facing each other in a manifold to cancel vibrations.

Did this one for a friend
post #11 of 14 Old 03-23-2012, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
if you don't have an end table or would be open to using a sub as an end table; the Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus or EX would work great!!! They are very nice looks like a solid black wood endtable with black plexiglass top. They have a downfiring woofer and down firing ports so nothing to be damaged. I am running dual Pluses and using one as an end table (works very well and wife approved).

Shawn
post #12 of 14 Old 03-23-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannoiaj View Post

A weak link isn't objective... and identical brand subs aren't always preferred.

Nice try though

I'll say it again, unless you have a perfect system, there's going to be weak link somewhere, it doesn't matter if a weak link is your objective or not.
post #13 of 14 Old 03-23-2012, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Guys,

Sorry I didn't check in before now. Thaks spyboy and cape.., I've been considering the SVS SB-12NSD, but will check out the Dayton's Wrager suggested as well. I think it would be pretty easy to add a second SVS in the rear corner later. I like Wrager's idea of firing them at each other.

Never sonsidered the end table idea before. Hmm...I'd had looked at the Outlaws early on, but decided the LFM-1 was too big.

One thing to consider, and part of the reason I am trying to hide the speakers is that we have small children. Children do not care if they bump their crap into your thousand dollar speaker and put dents in it. Or push the same tower onto their little brother. I walked out the other day and my 15 month old son was wacking the subwoofer with a wood hammer. Geesh, the nerve!

Anyway, I like the table idea but I know it will get attacked. Otherwise I may move forward with the SVS option, unless anyone else has a compelling arguement. I am still open to ideas.

Thanks for all of the comments!
post #14 of 14 Old 03-23-2012, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Wragger, I just took a closer look at what you suggested and got a crash course in DIY subwoofer configurations with infinte baffle drivers. That looks like a lot of fun. I totally get what you are saying now, unlike my last post.

That said, I might just push the easy button for now and get a manufactured sub. I suppose I could always use the hole made for that later for a dual 15" manifold.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page