post #31 of 46 Old 03-22-2012, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputter1 View Post

Notice the size of his room? Anyone here think 1k is going to fill it?

Nope.

I would not be happy with a $1000 sub specifically for movies in that massive room.

I'd recommend two 500-700 subs over one 1000 sub for that much space.

Wait for the next sale on a pair of the outlaws, or vtf3 or

Do diy and buy a 18" or two and put them in a small sealed box or

Pony up the money for something more exciting in a big space like that.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 Old 03-22-2012, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
DIY sounds terrific, but I'm not skilled, experienced or with tools -- and I have higher standards than I could achieve.

Could someone explain the One sub vs Two sub as relates to my room?
http://s1164.photobucket.com/albums/q574/awdiophreak/

I've understood what I've read about how two subs can add smoother FR and possibility for +3/+6 dB gain in SPL -- but I'm a bit lost as how to best apply this to my room. For now, the listening position outlined in red is fixed. My thinking is that I could put one (or 2) subs in the A, B, C or D positions. Each box is 28" Deep x 24" Wide.

I definitely prefer non-localized deep base over localized monster base, but I don't know how noticeable and localizable (?) one great Epik Empire or VTF-15H is as compared to two LFM-1 Plus' when I'm listening at -15. Perhaps I'll utilize reference level volume at some point, but I think it's unlikely to be the norm. Maybe filling up the room with one larger sub is just fine, and I don't need the smoothing and won't have localization issues? I won't every use measuring equipment, just rely on my ears.

I will put the Sunfire (sealed) in basement tonight and play with it. Thanks everyone.
post #33 of 46 Old 03-22-2012, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Of course you could call what ever vendor you decide on and see what their recommendations are I have found HSU and SVS to be very helpful in these situations after all they know the design limitations to their products in a given size and shape room.
post #34 of 46 Old 03-22-2012, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I have a large space as well, and originally started with two lesser subs and was unhappy with the results. After researching my options, I spoke with HSU, SVS, and Epik on the phone and all three companies were extremely helpful and recommended their larger subs vs two lesser subs, and if I still was not happy, save up and buy a second larger sub.

My thought would be to buy the best sub you can now and then potentially add a second matching one down the road. If you have flexibility with your placement, you will have options on getting good sound nearfield, or in the sweet spot of your room.

Obviously the more you spend, the more you get
post #35 of 46 Old 03-22-2012, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

I have a large space as well, and originally started with two lesser subs and was unhappy with the results. After researching my options, I spoke with HSU, SVS, and Epik on the phone and all three companies were extremely helpful and recommended their larger subs vs two lesser subs, and if I still was not happy, save up and buy a second larger sub.

My thought would be to buy the best sub you can now and then potentially add a second matching one down the road. If you have flexibility with your placement, you will have options on getting good sound nearfield, or in the sweet spot of your room.

Obviously the more you spend, the more you get

I agree and to add to what was said even adding a second sub sometimes means stacking them in the same location do to the room seen this before on the HSU forum where no matter where the second sub was placed the outcome was worse hence the need for the most sub your budget will allow.
post #36 of 46 Old 03-22-2012, 08:56 AM

The SS-18.1 is about 22 inches cubed.

Do you have room for a second one? You could get two of these and an amp for around 1250. OR you could start with just one and add the second later.
post #37 of 46 Old 03-22-2012, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlesnack View Post

Do you have room for a second one? You could get two of these and an amp for around 1250. OR you could start with just one and add the second later.

Ah yes, another option. Chase Home Theater.
post #38 of 46 Old 03-22-2012, 04:48 PM

Liked: 11
Make sure whichever sub you choose has good pro reviews to back up the manufacturers claims. Also, make sure the company has a history of making quality products, and that the owner and his employees have a history of great customer service. Hsu, Outlaw, SVS, and Epik, among others have stood the test of time, and aren't likely to steer you wrong. Two good quality subs will probably work out better than a single sub of slightly better quality, unless of course you plan on adding a second one later. Do your research, and watch out for problem subs from companies with issues, it's just not worth it!
post #39 of 46 Old 03-23-2012, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

I took my Sunfire HRS-12 from my main floor (15000^3 ft, hardwoods) to the basement (l-shaped 5000^ ft, w/w carpeting). Auto setup with Pioneer VSX-1021-k using BIC DV62's across the front.

For movies the HRS-12 was very subtle on bass until it created flabby notes. I do think it added moderate mid-bass, but I think the room is just too large for it. I was very happy with side 1 Dark Side of the Moon (pink floyd!). I wasn't expecting this result, but I don't think I'm surprised either. My HRS was bought for main floor, where it's primarily for music and I like it very much for its presence (not tactical at all with music, just adding fullness).

I know this is subjective unlikely to be worthwhile for others, but I'm trying to get a read on my room and $1k options -- so I hope someone recognizes what I'm experiencing.

With HSU, SVS, Rythmik and Epik in mind, I'm now trying to hone in on two subs (e.g., VTF-2.4) or one (e.g., VTF-15, or FV15HP). Because I didn't do FR, I can't be precise about LFE or SPL I require...but I do think I can say that subs that have similar compromises to HRS-12 aren't what I'm looking for.

I'll likely call the four above companies -- my hope is that that they'll be as patient and interested in my budget as you all have been. If you have more comments, wonderful. Else, have a great weekend.

Thanks.

PS: I'd love comments from anyone with an L-shaped 5000 cubic foot room where listening position is 1000 cubic feet of the room
LL
post #40 of 46 Old 03-23-2012, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by awdiophreak View Post

I took my Sunfire HRS-12 from my main floor (15000^3 ft, hardwoods) to the basement (l-shaped 5000^ ft, w/w carpeting). Auto setup with Pioneer VSX-1021-k using BIC DV62's across the front.

For movies the HRS-12 was very subtle on bass until it created flabby notes. I do think it added moderate mid-bass, but I think the room is just too large for it. I was very happy with side 1 Dark Side of the Moon (pink floyd!). I wasn't expecting this result, but I don't think I'm surprised either. My HRS was bought for main floor, where it's primarily for music and I like it very much for its presence (not tactical at all with music, just adding fullness).

I know this is subjective unlikely to be worthwhile for others, but I'm trying to get a read on my room and $1k options -- so I hope someone recognizes what I'm experiencing.

With HSU, SVS, Rythmik and Epik in mind, I'm now trying to hone in on two subs (e.g., VTF-2.4) or one (e.g., VTF-15, or FV15HP). Because I didn't do FR, I can't be precise about LFE or SPL I require...but I do think I can say that subs that have similar compromises to HRS-12 aren't what I'm looking for.

I'll likely call the four above companies -- my hope is that that they'll be as patient and interested in my budget as you all have been. If you have more comments, wonderful. Else, have a great weekend.

Thanks.

PS: I'd love comments from anyone with an L-shaped 5000 cubic foot room where listening position is 1000 cubic feet of the room

My room is similar but at 4500^, I use 2 Hsu VTF-15H. One sub is decent, I prefer my duals in that space.
post #41 of 46 Old 03-23-2012, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I have an L shaped living room open to a kitchen and den at 4200^ and so far one VTF-15H has exceeded my expectations.
post #42 of 46 Old 03-23-2012, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I run about 6000^3 ft in my L shaped basement multi purpose room with a tad less than half of it dedicated to my HT. I have an eD a5-350 in a corner, a klipsch 15" something rather on a sidewall and an eD a3-300 close to both couches doing a sort of near field deal.

This sub setup is pretty great to me. When we watch a movie (my wife, kids, and I) at reference levels... it';s in the basement.

Alot of why it sounds good I believe is in the placement. I previously ran dual eD a5-350's and it wasn't even close to the experience I get now. That said, now it's setup a lot better.

Couple take a ways.
1. How you setup what you have is as important (please don't take this completely literally) as what you have.
2. Multiple subwoofers are important in many situations with a decent sized room when trying to provide bass to multiple listening positions.
3. A near-field subwoofer can really add to the experience in ways I couldn't imagine a sub in a corner for instance couldn't manage.
4. I'm drinking some beer and the wife said to get off the damn computer... so that 's it.
post #43 of 46 Old 03-23-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlesnack View Post

I also second this option; I don't have a CHT product yet but will be getting a pair of these subs soon. The SS-18.1 cost $545 & $400 for the amp. This is under your budget and should give you good results; also this leaves you the option upgrade to duals at later time if you wish. I have emailed Craig a few times and is very easy to work with.

post #44 of 46 Old 03-23-2012, 08:19 PM

Liked: 11
I have twin Outlaw LFM-1EX subs, on sale they were about $1100 delivered. Lately people have been hung up on ever larger subs, thinking that they were necessary for true HT enjoyment. The truth is that two quality 12 inch subs can give a smoother response than most any single larger sub, and the output can be more than enough for most anyone. If your room is so large that you want more than that, then two VTF-15H subs may be needed, if within budget. Stick with subs that have been well reviewed and you won't go wrong, buy based on internet chatter and you just don't know what you'll wind up with!
post #45 of 46 Old 03-23-2012, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Ah yes, another option. Chase Home Theater.

The OP said "APPEARANCE: fit/finish appreciated; ugly won't work"
This is pretty subjective however cht subs aren't what you would call nicely finished.
Pretty basic looking box, ymmv though.
post #46 of 46 Old 03-24-2012, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Today I bought a 25-foot coax cable and put HRS-12 in "D" position (side wall, end table for both sofas). For me, it had good tactical feel combined with full mid-bass! Great learning for me to experience near-field. Yesterday, it was "B" position (front wall, right corner).

I'm starting dialogue with wife: replace end table (position "D"; size 24H x 24W x 29D) with subwoofer! I've time to win this discussion.

I'm leaning 50% one end-table replacement, 50% duals (EX's sadly out w/ current $1500 delivered price).

eD's seem terrific, but unlikely; I'd be incredibly disappointed to experience any trouble. SVS unlikely unless via a great sale or I find pristine used.

I'll start calling folks next week, and will share what I learn. Prime question:
* is one 15" as end table better than two 12" for my 1200 ^3 ft listening area in the broader 5000^3 ft L-shaped room?
LL
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page