what sub should I buy for my large basement room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-25-2012, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased a LG 65LW6500 TV that I will hang on the wall of a large basement. It will be hung to one side on the outside wall underneath a small basement window. The seating is a couch directly opposite the tv at the other end of the room. The room is a very large mostly finished basement room that is about 21x28x7.5 with a suspended ceiling in the finished part. I think I am going to purchase a Denon 2112 or 2312 receiver. I did a little searching, but could not find anything that matched my situation as some of the earlier posts might be dated (or at least the equipment might be) as they were a few years old. I also tried posting a more generic inquiry for different components in a different section on this forum, but did not get a response.

Anyway, I am not an audophile, but will be using the basement for the family (4 kids, myself and wife). Probably 60% movies and TV, 25% gaming, 15% music.

I am looking for a sub, preferably just one, that would cost no more than $600-700. I am not much of a DIY. I was hoping to purchase the sub within the next 30 days. Any ideas and suggestions (including where to buy them) would be greatly appreciated.

I know this is the wrong forum to ask, but if you have any thoughts on 5 speakers for this room, and would not mind mentioning that too, I would really appreciate that too. Trying to keep the speaker cost under $600-700 too and purchase time frame is also 30 days.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2012, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
So you need 5.1 for roughly 1200ish?
Old 03-25-2012, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
may as well find the best htib speakers solution in your budget. your budget is kind of low to get anything serious and a good sub. if you double your budget you'd have a lot more choices.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:58 PM

Liked: 11
Take a look at the HSU Research package deals. Enthousiast II or Hybrid 15 5.1 may be your best option with your budget.

HT Setup

PSN: le_gros_thon
Old 03-25-2012, 08:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgrise View Post

Take a look at the HSU Research package deals. Enthousiast II or Hybrid 15 5.1 may be your best option with your budget.

+1

The HSU speaker/sub packages are a great option. You get a fantastic sub and excellent speakers, with a discount. Go for the Enthusiast II.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Old 03-25-2012, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
I never heard martin logan speakers before, but people seem to like them. I hear people talk about them a lot. I found this.
http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR2112C...2729595&sr=8-2
Old 03-25-2012, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

go to bestbuy.com. go to your weekly ad. click on page 7. I see a denon on sale.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to take a look at the suggestions everyone made. If I am very limited, though, I guess I need to consider increasing the budget. If I were to increase my budget to $1800-2k for sub and speakers, what else would you suggest?
and yes, I was thinking of 5.1 at this point.

Thank you.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

It looks like the Enthusiast 2 is a nice package. A few questions. are the speakers as widely acclaimed as the sub is? should I consider upgrading to the Enthusiast 3 with the larger sub and 7.1 speaker setup if I increase my budget, or is it overkill?
are they any better discounts/coupons for Hsu packages? Do they go on sale or is the price always about the same? I noticed shipping and handling increases the cost significantly.

Thanks.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

sorry for the multiple posts. How does the hsu enthusiast 2 or 3 compare to a comparable setup from SVS and what would it be? any thoughts on which would be better deal/system? I have seen people commenting on both companies, with some preferring the SVS. thanks again.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsoxfan View Post

sorry for the multiple posts. How does the hsu enthusiast 2 or 3 compare to a comparable setup from SVS and what would it be? any thoughts on which would be better deal/system? I have seen people commenting on both companies, with some preferring the SVS. thanks again.

I'm sure the SVS is an amazing product but with a more or less $2k budget, you get put your hand on a HSU Hybrid 5.1 package, which include a VTF-15H. For the money (and even more), it will be very hard to beat...

HT Setup

Old 03-26-2012, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:

I would much rather have the Hsu setup, especially considering the room size. Just look at the sensitivity ratings for the speakers. You would need over 2X the amp juice to get the SVS to get as loud as the Hsu speakers, and its very likely their output ceiling would be much lower than the Hsus. If you only listen to stuff at modest loudness levels, then the SVS speakers might be OK.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to take a look at the suggestions everyone made. If I am very limited, though, I guess I need to consider increasing the budget. If I were to increase my budget to $1800-2k for sub and speakers, what else would you suggest?
and yes, I was thinking of 5.1 at this point.

Thank you.

See if you can get HSU to upgrade the Enthusiast II package to the HSU VTF-3 MK4 sub for the difference in money on the subs. That's a better sub choice for your room size than the HSU VTF-2 MK4.

BTW: When you get ready to buy your Denon receiver, call both Electronics Expo and the AVS Store here on AVS. Both of them are known for sometimes giving good discounts on Denon receivers over the phone.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Old 03-26-2012, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I concur with everything you said. OP, if you increase budget to 1800-2000 also ask about the H15 sub. Great setup for the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

See if you can get HSU to upgrade the Enthusiast II package to the HSU VTF-3 MK4 sub for the difference in money on the subs. That's a better sub choice for your room size than the HSU VTF-2 MK4.

BTW: When you get ready to buy your Denon receiver, call both Electronics Expo and the AVS Store here on AVS. Both of them are known for sometimes giving good discounts on Denon receivers over the phone.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

I got an amazing deal on the Denon 2312 from J & R over the phone a few months ago. I'd try them as well.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the advice. As to the sub/speakers, it sounds like my best options are to go with the hsu and select one of these:

1) Enthusiast 2 - 5.1 with an upgrade of the sub to VTF3 MK4 est $1582;
(thanks cell4145 - they will let me pay the difference for the better sub)
2) Enthusiast 3 - 7.1 with VTF3 MK4 sub est $1864; or
3) Hybrid 15- 5.1 with VTF-15H sub est $1808.

do you really think it is worth it to go with #3 over #1 because of the VTF-15H sub? is it really worth the extra 220? if so, would it be better to have two extra speakers and go with option 2 instead?

as to the Denon 2312, I was able to get j &R to $599 over the phone, but they did not want to go lower. I saw where someone got it for around 560 not too long ago. Lylelljr - what did you pay for it and do you remember who you spoke to? Thanks for the tip cell4145 - I will also call EE and AVS Store for a quote.
I was wondering if I should wait until May to pull the trigger when new Denons come out and whether price will get any lower. Thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
With your room size, I would for sure go with #3 . The benefits of the VTF-15H in that room size will be a lot more than having 2 extra speakers for 7.1 which you can add later on of course if you like but you cannot just make the Mk4 a 15H later.
Not saying that the MK4 is not a great sub..but if you can afford the 15H , for that room, then I would go for that one.
Regards

Mario Lemieux is GOD!
Go Pens!!!
Aguante Boca!!!
If dolphins are so smart...why do they live in igloos?
Old 03-26-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luis gabriel gerena View Post

with your room size, i would for sure go with #3 . The benefits of the vtf-15h in that room size will be a lot more than having 2 extra speakers for 7.1 which you can add later on of course if you like but you cannot just make the mk4 a 15h later.
Not saying that the mk4 is not a great sub..but if you can afford the 15h , for that room, then i would go for that one.
Regards

+1

HT Setup

Old 03-26-2012, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Thanks for all of the advice. As to the sub/speakers, it sounds like my best options are to go with the hsu and select one of these:

do you really think it is worth it to go with #3 over #1 because of the VTF-15H sub? is it really worth the extra 220? if so, would it be better to have two extra speakers and go with option 2 instead?

as to the Denon 2312, I was able to get j &R to $599 over the phone, but they did not want to go lower. I saw where someone got it for around 560 not too long ago. Lylelljr - what did you pay for it and do you remember who you spoke to? Thanks for the tip cell4145 - I will also call EE and AVS Store for a quote.
I was wondering if I should wait until May to pull the trigger when new Denons come out and whether price will get any lower. Thoughts?

Thanks.

option 3 hands down. 15h i'm sure is a great sub and will fill your room. and there aren't a whole lot of movies that do 7.1 and if you ever feel you need the upgrade you can buy two horns later. i had a 7.1 system and i used multi channel stereo occasionally. i think there were about 3 movies that had 7.1 and i didn't feel like i was missing out if i had only 5.1.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukemon View Post

option 3 hands down. 15h i'm sure is a great sub and will fill your room. and there aren't a whole lot of movies that do 7.1 and if you ever feel you need the upgrade you can buy two horns later. i had a 7.1 system and i used multi channel stereo occasionally. i think there were about 3 movies that had 7.1 and i didn't feel like i was missing out if i had only 5.1.

Totally agree. I have a 7.2 setup and the rear surrounds rarely get used it seems.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Concrete floor? They are tough, I know. I would go option #3 as well.

Quote:

Thanks.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Option 3.

And is there a feature on the 2312 that you need that the 2112 doesn't have? The 2112 is <$450 shipped right now from EE, and that's the one I'd get if didn't need pre-outs or if I didn't want to pony up for XT32 in the 4311.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

With a concrete floor and that size room, get the VTF-15H with option 3. You won't regret it once you hear it, especially if you like good action movies. The bass will add significantly to the movie watching experience. The HSU subs don't produce boomy bass like cheap car stereo subs. It'll create very real sound effects.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AV13...-AVR-1312.html

Was
$249.99

Price Break Your price $199.99
Old 03-27-2012, 12:48 AM

A lot of people are recommending the HSU HB-1s and matching center, but how many of you have actually heard these speakers? I ordered a pair of HB-1s and matching HC-1 center with a VTF2 MK4 sub. While the sub sounded great, I wasn't that impressed by the speakers. their greatest strength was going down low, up to 60 hz usable output that crossed over well with the sub, but as far as highs go, they were decidedly flat and almost neutered, to a point where it made all my music sound boring and flat. My Polks did a better jobs with handling the highs and I was really disappointed by the flat sound of the HSUs. Vocals did sound uniquely clean and some music sprang to life, but the HSUs just sounded kind of goofy.

With movies though, its a different story, they seem to handle dynamics pretty well and would probably satisfy most discerning listeners, they have a movie tone vibe, though the neutered highs do take away from the impact. My problem with these speakers is that they just don't seem to have much personality, it seems like they are more concerned with accuracy than with having fun like the Polks. There goes the colored vs accurate sound argument for speakers again, something you will have to decide about. The other thing that bothered me about the HSU speakers was that it took a lot to drive them, I had to crank my AVR to really get them loud, so they are not as efficient as they claim to be.

My suggestion, get a great sub, HSU or SVS, a decent receiver, then check out the Polk Monitor series of speakers on newegg. You'll get these crazy deals every once in awhile where you can get Monitor 70 floorstanders for 199 or less each. Get a pair of those plus a CS2 center and some surrounds and you'll have a budget system that has a lively fun sound and will crank loud.

Bottom line, stick with HSU for subs(thats what they do best), for speakers, look elsewhere.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:00 AM - Thread Starter

Sub/speaker:

Thanks for the thoughts. It seems like the consensus is to go with option 3. BTW, the floor is carpeted (over concrete)- not sure that makes a difference though in the selection. Avspace, you make a good point. I know what we think of speakers is very subjective. Since we will watch a lot of movies/tv and the kids will do a lot of gaming (Wii) and we probably not have the discerning ear of most audiophiles, either speaker system might not make a big difference. While I am very tempted to go with your suggestion as it is much more cost effective for the speakers, it seems there are a lot of people who are supportive of the hsu speakers. So unless they have not heard the speakers themselves (which I understand was part of your point), I guess I am leaning toward getting the option 3 package.

Receiver:
jjackrrash, You make a good point as to considering the Denon 2112 over the 2312. However, I was thinking if the 2013 models come out in the next 30-60 days, it might be better to wait and see if the prices come down further for either. Perhaps it was overkill, I was thinking of the 2312 for the extra inputs, GUI and video processing. But you are right, it may not be worth the extra money.

I really appreciate all the input and feedback, and how quick the responses are. Thank you.