Old 03-28-2012, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannoiaj View Post

Perhaps you read my post and thought it was a question by mistake. I forgive you for your mistake. Perhaps you read my post and believe that I think having a speaker + sub-woofer married together is a good solution to separates... again your wrong and I forgive you for your mistake. There is a place for the def tech solution in people's homes however, and that's why the company does well.

I did not take it wrong you should not either but almost every speaker I have dealt with Audio Pro, Klipsch, Kef, Dynaudio, Acoustic Research, Paradigm , B&W, and the list goes on they will instruct you in their manual not to place to close to the back and side walls for proper imaging and soundstage some even ask for 2ft.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

I did not take it wrong you should not either but almost every speaker I have dealt with Audio Pro, Klipsch, Kef, Dynaudio, Acoustic Research, Paradigm , B&W, and the list goes on they will instruct you in their manual not to place to close to the back and side walls for proper imaging and soundstage some even ask for 2ft.

Sure they all want their speakers 2-3 feet from any wall, even Def Tech recommends that.

But the reality is (and I see all the time here with owner's photos) very few can do this.

I'm going to have a small room for HT 13x14. I don't want speakers 2 or 3 feet from the walls. If I did I'd have room for one chair in the middle of the room

I'm leaning heavily toward a pair of Def Tech 8040s for my fronts but still using a sub near field in the back of the sofa for LFE.

Gene

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
Old 03-31-2012, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All of you have been very helpful and given me a lot of good info. After all the discussion, am probably leaning to bookshelves for L/R with CC and a large sub. That would also allow me to easily move the L/R away from wall for the best soundstage when I play movies. Thought I had a good pre-wired location for the sub, but will certainly do an Audyssey test to confirm the situation in the room (had forgotten about that).

Any thoughts on the DT Pro Monitor 1000 for L/R and PRo Center 1000 for CC?

Thanks again, all ...

Glenn
Old 03-31-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by stump69A4 View Post

All of you have been very helpful and given me a lot of good info. After all the discussion, am probably leaning to bookshelves for L/R with CC and a large sub. That would also allow me to easily move the L/R away from wall for the best soundstage when I play movies. Thought I had a good pre-wired location for the sub, but will certainly do an Audyssey test to confirm the situation in the room (had forgotten about that).

Any thoughts on the DT Pro Monitor 1000 for L/R and PRo Center 1000 for CC?

Thanks again, all ...

Glenn

Designed for maximum dialouge clarity the Chase Home Theater SHO-10's would be my first choice for LCR:

http://www.chasehometheater.com/inde...art&Itemid=142

The SHO-10 is also highly efficient making the most of your receiver.

MKTheater has some experience with Chase speakers, maybe he will chime in.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

And done so by DT to enhance the affect or make it better and easier to place the speakers. So still bipolar but now they do not need to be on such strong meds

That review and another I read on the 8040s had nothing but praise for the sound field.

I think DT knows what they're doing, except when it comes to publishing specs

Actually by reducing the output of the rear facing drivers by 6 db the bipolar effect is drastically reduced. Also, Daniel Kumin had to place the 8060's 6 feet from the back wall for best sound. He also mentions that the effect of the rear facing speakers was pretty subtle, (which is what you would expect now that DT has reduced the output of the rear facing drivers by 6db.)

The 6 db reduction from the rear facing drivers represents a huge move away from bipolar design and sound reproduction. DT certainly knows about bipoles and has made the drastic change after many years. They are coming more in-line with most speaker companies that use only direct radiating drivers.