Should I get 2 Seaton SubMersives or 2 JTR Captivator S subs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 03-29-2012, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Subject says it all, I'm wondering what the Pros and Cons are between a pair of sealed SubMersives or Captivators. Please advise, thanks.

BTW in case it matters, the subs will go into a 13'x23'x7' room (2,100 cu ft). Initially I'll get a single sub (SubMersive or Captivator S), then later when budget allows I'll acquire a second sub to balance any nulls or other issues in the room. Also, the theater will have corner bass traps and some acoustic wall panels installed shortly. The subs will be located behind an acoustically transparent projection screen / false wall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-29-2012, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 51
A SubMersive and a Cap S was included in "Archaea's Kansas City Blind Subwoofer Shootout 2012":

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1387178

I suspect you'd be very happy either way...
post #3 of 15 Old 03-29-2012, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
There's no clear cut answer. Do you like Ferrari or Lamborghini?
They are both awesome.
My guess is the Submersive may have an advantage in cabinet volume and cone area, the Cap S perhaps in excursion?
Either way that's a nice ratio of sub/cu.ft.
Tim
post #4 of 15 Old 03-29-2012, 05:09 PM

In that size room, you will not be missing anything with either of those subs. They will both go very low at relatively high SPL while sounding great the whole time. With duals, you will have all the headroom that anyone would need (except for the most dedicated bass heads). FWIW, I have a single SubM HP in a room similar to yours and have more bass than I need.
post #5 of 15 Old 03-29-2012, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 497
The 2 really separated themselves from the rest of the subs when it came to music. I gave the Submersive 12 out of 12 and the sealed cap 11out of 12. I'm pretty sure 8 was the next highest score.

Maybe pick the one you like the looks of more?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 15 Old 03-30-2012, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam-DiVine View Post

FWIW, I have a single SubM HP in a room similar to yours and have more bass than I need.

Since I don't listen at super-high SPL's I was thinking I might be able to get away with just one sub. The second was more to smooth the bass around the room better. If there is some physical "punch" during very low bass scenes in my favorite movies, then I'll be a happy camper.

Perhaps if I do the subwoofer crawl really well and if the bass traps do their job then I won't need a second one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Maybe pick the one you like the looks of more?

Dang, I think both the SubMersive and Captivator S look awesome. The SubM has a slick dual sided hi-tech appeal, and the Cap has that gigantic 18" subwoofer staring you in the face, which sort of reminds me of Back to the Future:

However, the sub(s) will be behind an acoustically transparent screen and acoustically transparent false wall, so even if they were ugly it wouldn't matter (btw, it appears that AT is also great for increasing the WAF ).
post #7 of 15 Old 03-30-2012, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 34
can't go wrong with either.
post #8 of 15 Old 03-31-2012, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Morgan View Post

Since I don't listen at super-high SPL's I was thinking I might be able to get away with just one sub. The second was more to smooth the bass around the room better. If there is some physical "punch" during very low bass scenes in my favorite movies, then I'll be a happy camper.

Perhaps if I do the subwoofer crawl really well and if the bass traps do their job then I won't need a second one.

My room is treated with floor to ceiling bass traps in the rear corners of the room. Unless you are sitting right next to the traps, the bass response is pretty smooth everywhere else. I am running an Antimode 8033 as well. The Antimode made a very large difference in my room. I think the benefits of duals in my room would be small. As for the physical punch, I think you will be happy
post #9 of 15 Old 03-31-2012, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys for all your feedback.

@Adam, I was unaware of the DSPeaker Antimode 8033 until you mentioned it, from googling around it looks very useful, thanks for mentioning it!
post #10 of 15 Old 03-31-2012, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Email/Call/PM Jeff and Mark and see who can give you a better deal on duals.
Jeff just launched his (new product=deals?) and Mark had some HP returns in the black finish not too long ago because someone wanted the both drivers on front baffle model.

Either way, you will be happy. That is a certainty.

-Greg

post #11 of 15 Old 03-31-2012, 04:38 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

Email/Call/PM Jeff and Mark and see who can give you a better deal on duals.
Jeff just launched his (new product=deals?) and Mark had some HP returns in the black finish not too long ago because someone wanted the both drivers on front baffle model.

Either way, you will be happy. That is a certainty.

I guess I take a bit of exception to this type of statement that makes periodic appearances around the forum. Believe me I am all for getting a solid deal, but Jeff and Mark (as will as CHT, HSU, Epik, etc....) operate on such tight margins that playing the bidding war game on them really is quite lame. We all know they give world class products at prices that make most MFG's look greedy by comparison. We applaude them for the price/performance ration they bring to the market and then some people treat them like a typical B&M dealer and suggest a price competition to get business? All things in the audio market ARE NOT EQUAL, especially from a business stand point. We all know why they can offer much lower pricing, let's appreciate the fact they do so and really take advantage of any sales or discounts THEY offer. Keep playing the "scrounge every last penny" game and sooner or later Jeff, Mark, HSU, Epik or whoever won't be around. As crazy as it seems, they have to make money too...........

Addition........I am not singling out HuskerOmaha here, that's not my intent.
post #12 of 15 Old 03-31-2012, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewayz View Post

I guess I take a bit of exception to this type of statement that makes periodic appearances around the forum. Believe me I am all for getting a solid deal, but Jeff and Mark (as will as CHT, HSU, Epik, etc....) operate on such tight margins that playing the bidding war game on them really is quite lame. We all know they give world class products at prices that make most MFG's look greedy by comparison. We applaude them for the price/performance ration they bring to the market and then some people treat them like a typical B&M dealer and suggest a price competition to get business? All things in the audio market ARE NOT EQUAL, especially from a business stand point. We all know why they can offer much lower pricing, let's appreciate the fact they do so and really take advantage of any sales or discounts THEY offer. Keep playing the "scrounge every last penny" game and sooner or later Jeff, Mark, HSU, Epik or whoever won't be around. As crazy as it seems, they have to make money too...........

Addition........I am not singling out HuskerOmaha here, that's not my intent.

Point extremely well taken.

I think HuskerOmaha (aka Ported Aficionado) meant to see if Mark had any B-stock exchanges or if Jeff was running a special on any new offerings. Not a unique deal based on scrounging around but rather any deal that would be available to the general public.

But your point about the slim margins Mark and Jeff accept to provide incredible performance per dollar is right on. I hope no one is insulting enough to ask for their own discount on top of their relatively low prices.
Tim
post #13 of 15 Old 03-31-2012, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodorthopod View Post

Point extremely well taken.

I think HuskerOmaha (aka Ported Aficionado) meant to see if Mark had any B-stock exchanges or if Jeff was running a special on any new offerings. Not a unique deal based on scrounging around but rather any deal that would be available to the general public.
Tim

I was pointing more toward the b stock angle.

I'll never be able to live down my love of the caps for music....will I.

-Greg

post #14 of 15 Old 04-01-2012, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

I'll never be able to live down my love of the caps for music....will I.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.
Tim
post #15 of 15 Old 04-01-2012, 07:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
At this point most of us are going to recommend the SubMersive because it's been around for years and has proved itself (i.e. SQ, raw output, price/performance ratio, etc.). The sealed Cap is just too new for anyone to recommend it based on experience. Only time will tell, but the sealed Cap could end out being a very good deal like the ported Caps were when they first came out (not that they aren't now, it's just they used to be cheaper).

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Never argue with an idiot; they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page