Martin Logan Dynamo 1000, will I be happy? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 42 Old 04-06-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Basic set-up would be the same for virtually all subs. You do the crawl test and place the sub that way. Crossover is also straightforward.

The real issue is EQ due to room modes. Every room has a sonic signature that effects the frequency response of the sub. Some subs come with built-in EQ. Velodyne is well known for its multi band parametric EQ, with as many as 8 bands.

You can just push a button and the EQ will do the work, however, many here don't feel that you get the best results using the Auto option.

EQ opens a whole new can of worms. Paradigm offers some models that are equipped to work with the Paradigm Perfect Bass Kit (PBK) which may be available for $100, but has an MSRP of $300. The PBK seems to work well.

The more you know the more complex issues like EQ get. Unfortunately subs are not something that you can just plop down anywhere and get the best performance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 04-06-2012, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
OK, I think you guys have convinced me to go the ID route..... One last thing, quality of sound is more important than booming bass, still recomend I go with a ID rather than the Martin? For example the SVS PB12-NSD would not only hit harder, sound better and be as senstive as the Martin Grotto(price wise its the same for me)?

Sorry I just have to be as sure as I can about this, $800 is a lot of money for me to spend. I appreciate all of you help and will be using your advice.
post #33 of 42 Old 04-06-2012, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by bofa89 View Post

I am close to completely switching and goign ID. BUT, it seems like the box store subs have all this technology built in, is it all a bunch of BS?

And finally, a very important aspect is ease of use and setting up. I dont know nearly as much as you guys and i need somethign that is almost brainless to setup. Would you still recommend ID?

Like ack said, it's not a matter of BS or not, it's just a matter of the ID brands offering slightly more bang for the buck, even when you are considering the discounted retail price. I've never ever heard anybody complain about the sound *quality* of the ML subs, in fact some people choose them just because they are well known for good sounding subs. And you get to take it home the same day.

To be fair, the Martin Logan 1000 shouldn't really be compared to the ID subs mentioned above. The ML 1000 is a sealed box compact sub, and to be fair, you should compare it to the SVS SB12-NSD http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/sealed-box/sb12-nsd which is a comparably sized sub that also used a sealed configuration. If you can get the ML for half price, that makes it cheaper than a comparably sized ID sub.

Now, if you can stretch your dollar to get a SVS PB12-NSD, http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/ported-box/pb12-nsd which is a large ported sub, you will be much better off. Size matters, and in this case, the PB12 NSD offers considerably more deep bass output than the ML or the smaller SVS. The weird thing about the Grotto is that it actually has weaker specs than the Dynamo 1000, maybe it's because it's a much older model than the D1000. The Grotto is still a sealed sub, and the ported PB12 will still have more deep bass output while sounding clean. I don't think you'd go wrong with the Grotto, but I'd still take the SVS. The PB12 is good to medium sized rooms and it should be more than capable in a slightly open small room like yours

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #34 of 42 Old 04-06-2012, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post

Like ack said, it's not a matter of BS or not, it's just a matter of the ID brands offering slightly more bang for the buck, even when you are considering the discounted retail price. I've never ever heard anybody complain about the sound *quality* of the ML subs, in fact some people choose them just because they are well known for good sounding subs. And you get to take it home the same day.

To be fair, the Martin Logan 1000 shouldn't really be compared to the ID subs mentioned above. The ML 1000 is a sealed box compact sub, and to be fair, you should compare it to the SVS SB12-NSD http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/sealed-box/sb12-nsd which is a comparably sized sub that also used a sealed configuration. If you can get the ML for half price, that makes it cheaper than a comparably sized ID sub.

Now, if you can stretch your dollar to get a SVS PB12-NSD, http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/ported-box/pb12-nsd which is a large ported sub, you will be much better off. Size matters, and in this case, the PB12 NSD offers considerably more deep bass output than the ML or the smaller SVS. The weird thing about the Grotto is that it actually has weaker specs than the Dynamo 1000, maybe it's because it's a much older model than the D1000. The Grotto is still a sealed sub, and the ported PB12 will still have more deep bass output while sounding clean. I don't think you'd go wrong with the Grotto, but I'd still take the SVS. The PB12 is good to medium sized rooms and it should be more than capable in a slightly open small room like yours

Thats it, I'm completely sold on ID! Thank you for your indepth response.
post #35 of 42 Old 04-06-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:

Thats it, I'm completely sold on ID! Thank you for your indepth response.

SVS has great customer service and very willing to help if you call, as well as HSU. If for some reason you're not happy with the pb12-nsd (one I ALMOST went with, considered getting a pair of them, but spent over $1,000 on an HSU instead) you can send it back, only pay return shipping which is only about $50 or less from what SVS recently told me and you'll get a full refund of your entire purchase price. 45 day money back guarantee, very hard to beat, little risk and a 5 year warranty on amplifier,most others have 2 years std.

Check out some reviews on audioholics.com
post #36 of 42 Old 04-06-2012, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

Basic set-up would be the same for virtually all subs. You do the crawl test and place the sub that way. Crossover is also straightforward.

The real issue is EQ due to room modes. Every room has a sonic signature that effects the frequency response of the sub. Some subs come with built-in EQ. Velodyne is well known for its multi band parametric EQ, with as many as 8 bands.

You can just push a button and the EQ will do the work, however, many here don't feel that you get the best results using the Auto option.

EQ opens a whole new can of worms. Paradigm offers some models that are equipped to work with the Paradigm Perfect Bass Kit (PBK) which may be available for $100, but has an MSRP of $300. The PBK seems to work well.

The more you know the more complex issues like EQ get. Unfortunately subs are not something that you can just plop down anywhere and get the best performance.

Yea, I think I will need some help once I get the sub. I will be seeking advice once it arrives!
post #37 of 42 Old 04-06-2012, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for you advice, I will be taking a look at the subs recommended in this thread and making a decision. I am definitely convinced that ID subs are the way to go now.
post #38 of 42 Old 04-06-2012, 08:27 PM

Liked: 33
I am running dual Martin Logan Abyss subwoofers in my Klipsch Reference 5.2 system. I am sure there are subs out there that dig much deeper than my dual Abyss subs do but I wouldn't change a thing. Love them!

Oppo BDP103, Mitsubishi WD8240, Klipsch RF-63's, Pioneer Elite SC-25, Furman Elite 15, Emotiva XPA-5, Harmony 1100, Rythmik FV15HP

post #39 of 42 Old 04-06-2012, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:

Thank you everyone for you advice, I will be taking a look at the subs recommended in this thread and making a decision. I am definitely convinced that ID subs are the way to go now.

Keep us posted on the decision and I am sure we can help you out if you need it.

In the meantime, you may want to start reading this thread:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=43669
post #40 of 42 Old 04-07-2012, 10:08 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:

OK, I think you guys have convinced me to go the ID route..... One last thing, quality of sound is more important than booming bass, still recomend I go with a ID rather than the Martin? For example the SVS PB12-NSD would not only hit harder, sound better and be as senstive as the Martin Grotto(price wise its the same for me)?

Sorry I just have to be as sure as I can about this, $800 is a lot of money for me to spend. I appreciate all of you help and will be using your advice.

Yes $800 is a lot, that's why you want to make a wise choice. I kind of focused in on your desire for good performing sub for movies. You said 95% movies. I think the PB12-NSD sub might give you good sound quality for movies and music.

I'm about 55% music so I judge a sub based on how it performs for music first. When it comes to movies, I don't mind some boom (explosions, room shaking etc.) movies don't really require critical listening.
post #41 of 42 Old 04-08-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

Yes $800 is a lot, that's why you want to make a wise choice. I kind of focused in on your desire for good performing sub for movies. You said 95% movies. I think the PB12-NSD sub might give you good sound quality for movies and music.

I'm about 55% music so I judge a sub based on how it performs for music first. When it comes to movies, I don't mind some boom (explosions, room shaking etc.) movies don't really require critical listening.

Since most music is in a highly compressed format critical listening is becoming somewhat of a rarity

Damn that Ipod
post #42 of 42 Old 04-16-2012, 02:02 PM

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Best Buy is based in Minnesota and their corporate headquarters is about 15 miles or so away from Maple Grove.

Their headquarters is 3 mi from my house..lol
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page