Definitive Technology PF-15tl Sub? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2012, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
EVERY1ELECTRONIC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi I was wondering if the Definitive Technology PF-15TL Sub was worth 200-300 range, its practically brand new perfect condition, the guy barely uses it or so he said.

Is there any sub I could compare this to that's better in this price range or even up to 500 range, Its supposed to have 500rws not sure if that's continuous or not and the 15 woofer is what really grabbed my attention, your thoughts on this sub would be appreciated I really couldn't find much about it online..
EVERY1ELECTRONIC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-08-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
t6902wf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 1,671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is will give some thump in the 30hz + range but it is really sloppy.
I gave mine away. I'd offer 100 if that is what you can afford or save money for something better. That is old technology. Check out HSU for a good value sub.

If you are handy you can build a nice sub for that amount of money. Check out the DIY section if that is of any interest.

T6

Clearwave 4TSE and 4CC build thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post19489740
t6902wf is offline  
Old 04-08-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Pure-Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 139
This sub is sloppy and has the worst port chuffing i've ever heard. I had 3 of them btw. I think it's ok..for a couple hundred it's not going to hurt you but it's no top tier sub by any means. There is NO internal bracing or even fill...fill inside might reduce the chuffing. It's just a box with the sub moutned in it..and a cut out along the bottom. I know this because FedEx smashed one of mine open when I sold it...

It's just glued together...no screws even. Offer him $150.00 and see.
Pure-Evil is offline  
Old 04-08-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jay1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: West Valley, AZ
Posts: 4,199
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

This sub is sloppy and has the worst port chuffing i've ever heard. I had 3 of them btw. I think it's ok..for a couple hundred it's not going to hurt you but it's no top tier sub by any means. There is NO internal bracing or even fill...fill inside might reduce the chuffing. It's just a box with the sub moutned in it..and a cut out along the bottom. I know this because FedEx smashed one of mine open when I sold it...

It's just glued together...no screws even. Offer him $150.00 and see.

Not defending the crappy deftech build quality or anything, but wood glue bonds stronger then the wood. Screws are not used for strength, only to aid in bonding if you cant easily clamp everything up.
Jay1 is online now  
Old 04-08-2012, 05:20 PM
Member
 
Sidewayz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: HUSKERLAND
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
^^^ +1. Absolutely correct.
Sidewayz is offline  
Old 04-08-2012, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
Davecraze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Irving, Texas
Posts: 844
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I had two of these - the plus versions actually - in my old theater. I actually still own them. They are in a theater in a house I rent out.

They are very weak performers and they drop like a rock from 30hz on down. Worth maybe 150-200 bucks, but nothing more.

Here is what I wrote on them back in 2007

"For what it is worth, I have two of these subs in a 17 x 19 x 9 theater room. I paid $400 each for them on ebay two years ago and I would rate them as average at best. Although they have a 15" driver, as has been mentioned, they just don't move much air at all. They roll off pretty sharply at 30hz and they have little output at 20hz. Infrasonics are slim to none, in my experience. It is not just a placement issue - I have put these subs in at least 10 to 12 different places in my room trying to get some better performance out of them, but with little success."
Davecraze is online now  
Old 04-08-2012, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sputter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERY1ELECTRONIC View Post

Hi I was wondering if the Definitive Technology PF-15TL Sub was worth 200-300 range, its practically brand new perfect condition, the guy barely uses it or so he said.

Is there any sub I could compare this to that's better in this price range or even up to 500 range, Its supposed to have 500rws not sure if that's continuous or not and the 15 woofer is what really grabbed my attention, your thoughts on this sub would be appreciated I really couldn't find much about it online..

There's no need to start a new thread everytime you find another sub.
sputter1 is offline  
Old 04-08-2012, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lukeamdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Burnsville, MN
Posts: 1,737
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 229
I got one on craigslist last year for $70, and it was the + version. For that price it was great!
lukeamdman is online now  
Old 04-09-2012, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Pure-Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

Not defending the crappy deftech build quality or anything, but wood glue bonds stronger then the wood. Screws are not used for strength, only to aid in bonding if you cant easily clamp everything up.

I understand that..but normally you would at least see some bradly nails or something. plus, there is absolutely NO bracing of any kind at all inside these subs. I couldn't get rid of them fast enough.
Pure-Evil is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off