Definitive Technology PF-15tl Sub? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-07-2012, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi I was wondering if the Definitive Technology PF-15TL Sub was worth 200-300 range, its practically brand new perfect condition, the guy barely uses it or so he said.

Is there any sub I could compare this to that's better in this price range or even up to 500 range, Its supposed to have 500rws not sure if that's continuous or not and the 15 woofer is what really grabbed my attention, your thoughts on this sub would be appreciated I really couldn't find much about it online..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-08-2012, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Is will give some thump in the 30hz + range but it is really sloppy.
I gave mine away. I'd offer 100 if that is what you can afford or save money for something better. That is old technology. Check out HSU for a good value sub.

If you are handy you can build a nice sub for that amount of money. Check out the DIY section if that is of any interest.

T6

Clearwave 4TSE and 4CC build thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post19489740
post #3 of 9 Old 04-08-2012, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 139
This sub is sloppy and has the worst port chuffing i've ever heard. I had 3 of them btw. I think it's ok..for a couple hundred it's not going to hurt you but it's no top tier sub by any means. There is NO internal bracing or even fill...fill inside might reduce the chuffing. It's just a box with the sub moutned in it..and a cut out along the bottom. I know this because FedEx smashed one of mine open when I sold it...

It's just glued together...no screws even. Offer him $150.00 and see.
post #4 of 9 Old 04-08-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil View Post

This sub is sloppy and has the worst port chuffing i've ever heard. I had 3 of them btw. I think it's ok..for a couple hundred it's not going to hurt you but it's no top tier sub by any means. There is NO internal bracing or even fill...fill inside might reduce the chuffing. It's just a box with the sub moutned in it..and a cut out along the bottom. I know this because FedEx smashed one of mine open when I sold it...

It's just glued together...no screws even. Offer him $150.00 and see.

Not defending the crappy deftech build quality or anything, but wood glue bonds stronger then the wood. Screws are not used for strength, only to aid in bonding if you cant easily clamp everything up.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-08-2012, 04:20 PM

Liked: 11
^^^ +1. Absolutely correct.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I had two of these - the plus versions actually - in my old theater. I actually still own them. They are in a theater in a house I rent out.

They are very weak performers and they drop like a rock from 30hz on down. Worth maybe 150-200 bucks, but nothing more.

Here is what I wrote on them back in 2007

"For what it is worth, I have two of these subs in a 17 x 19 x 9 theater room. I paid $400 each for them on ebay two years ago and I would rate them as average at best. Although they have a 15" driver, as has been mentioned, they just don't move much air at all. They roll off pretty sharply at 30hz and they have little output at 20hz. Infrasonics are slim to none, in my experience. It is not just a placement issue - I have put these subs in at least 10 to 12 different places in my room trying to get some better performance out of them, but with little success."
post #7 of 9 Old 04-08-2012, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERY1ELECTRONIC View Post

Hi I was wondering if the Definitive Technology PF-15TL Sub was worth 200-300 range, its practically brand new perfect condition, the guy barely uses it or so he said.

Is there any sub I could compare this to that's better in this price range or even up to 500 range, Its supposed to have 500rws not sure if that's continuous or not and the 15 woofer is what really grabbed my attention, your thoughts on this sub would be appreciated I really couldn't find much about it online..

There's no need to start a new thread everytime you find another sub.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-08-2012, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 310
I got one on craigslist last year for $70, and it was the + version. For that price it was great!
post #9 of 9 Old 04-09-2012, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

Not defending the crappy deftech build quality or anything, but wood glue bonds stronger then the wood. Screws are not used for strength, only to aid in bonding if you cant easily clamp everything up.

I understand that..but normally you would at least see some bradly nails or something. plus, there is absolutely NO bracing of any kind at all inside these subs. I couldn't get rid of them fast enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers