"Maximum" length of RCA cable to hook up a sub? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 04-10-2012, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ok, I've been reading about XLR vs. RCA, and people seem to say RCA is fine as long as the cable run is not too long. But what exactly is "too long"? I was thinking of running a cable of ~30 to 35 feet.

Is that too long that I should switch to XLR? Only issue is my AVR doesn't have XLR out, but was thinking of upgrading my AVR for other reasons anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-10-2012, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beezar View Post

Is that too long?

No.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
" - MLK

post #3 of 18 Old 04-11-2012, 12:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Use some shielded RG6 coax and you'll have no issues.

Jason

My Twitch Game Stream [PS4/Xone/PC]...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 Old 04-11-2012, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
post #5 of 18 Old 04-11-2012, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

Hard to beat for the price. http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

You get what you pay for.

Best to use a quality sub-woofer cable that's designed for longer runs such as:
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/subwoofer/index.htm

"The Cable: Blue Jeans Cable LC-1 Analog Audio Cable

Our recommended subwoofer cable is our own proprietary design, the LC-1 low-capacitance audio cable. It has an extremely heavy double-braid shield layer for the best possible rejection of induced low-frequency hum, and extremely low capacitance for the flattest possible frequency response. It is thick -- about .305 inch in diameter -- but is more flexible than comparably-sized cables, and is therefore easy to route around corners and obstacles. Unlike most analog audio cables on the market, too, LC-1 is UL-listed and bears a CM rating under the National Electrical Code, so is suitable for in-wall installation in both residential and commercial environments. (CM is a superior rating to the more often-seen CL-2 and CL-3 ratings). For more information and specs on this cable, see our "Design Notes" article about LC-1.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"
post #6 of 18 Old 04-11-2012, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

There is nothing wrong with Blue Jeans products but there is *ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG* with the Monoprice cable either! With cables, price has very little to do with the final result.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
" - MLK

post #7 of 18 Old 04-11-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu View Post

There is nothing wrong with Blue Jeans products but there is *ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG* with the Monoprice cable either! With cables, price has very little to do with the final result.

Well said.
post #8 of 18 Old 04-11-2012, 08:05 AM

Liked: 32
Have to love the marketing for Blue Jean. Their marketing is as bad as Monster and some of the other "snake oil" companies. If you want to make your own, pick up some good quality cable and do it yourfelf.
post #9 of 18 Old 04-11-2012, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu View Post

At standard cable length installations of < 4-5 metres in length I will agree with this, but did you actually read and comprehend thread title and OP post?

This thread is a query of extended unbalanced cable length >10 metres in length. Standard unbalanced sub-woofer cables will have a problem here as screening will become an issue. The BJC LC-1 solves this with it's design.

It just seems that Monoprice fanboys predominate on this site and make ill-conceived recommendations based on price alone.

Amplifiers with balanced inputs are much more expensive than with unbalanced inputs because of extra circuitry involved in design. OP could save money by obtaining an unbalanced cable designed to meet specified requirements.
post #10 of 18 Old 04-11-2012, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain- View Post

did you actually read and comprehend thread title and OP post?

As a broadcast engineer for over 40 years, I am quite capable of comprehending the issue. My answer stands.

Quote:

Amplifiers with balanced inputs are much more expensive than with unbalanced inputs because of extra circuitry involved in design.

BTW, it doesn't cost a penny more to create a balanced (differential) input circuit than an unbalanced one with today's opamps. All the necessary circuitry already exists. Only the additional cost of an XLR-type connector differentiates the two!!

" - MLK

post #11 of 18 Old 04-11-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:

Amplifiers with balanced inputs are much more expensive than with unbalanced inputs because of extra circuitry involved in design.

You've obviously never seen a schematic of a balanced input or output.
post #12 of 18 Old 04-11-2012, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Have to love the marketing for Blue Jean. Their marketing is as bad as Monster and some of the other "snake oil" companies. If you want to make your own, pick up some good quality cable and do it yourfelf.

I don't agree. Where do you find BJC making unsupportable claims about magic cable properties? And while not the least expensive, they certainly don't occupy the same market as the "high end" cable companies.

For the OP - one difference I've noticed between MP and BJC is the durability of the connectors. If you don't plan on a lot of plugging/unplugging of the cable, it probably doesn't make any difference, but I have had more issues with MP than BJC with cables that see a lot of physical interaction.
post #13 of 18 Old 04-11-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

Where do you find BJC making unsupportable claims about magic cable properties?

I agree - BJC does not generally make unsubstantiated claims. HERE is a comment I posted on that topic a long time ago.

" - MLK

post #14 of 18 Old 04-11-2012, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

At standard cable length installations of < 4-5 metres in length I will agree with this, but did you actually read and comprehend thread title and OP post?

This thread is a query of extended unbalanced cable length >10 metres in length. Standard unbalanced sub-woofer cables will have a problem here as screening will become an issue. The BJC LC-1 solves this with it's design.

It just seems that Monoprice fanboys predominate on this site and make ill-conceived recommendations based on price alone.

Amplifiers with balanced inputs are much more expensive than with unbalanced inputs because of extra circuitry involved in design. OP could save money by obtaining an unbalanced cable designed to meet specified requirements.

RG6 works well for long runs. The only thing the bluejeans cable has going for it is that it is somewhat more flexible for going around corners and obstacles.

If you can point to any review of the 35 foot monoprice cable showing any defeciencies at all, please do so.
post #15 of 18 Old 04-11-2012, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

RG6 works well for long runs. The only thing the bluejeans cable has going for it is that it is somewhat more flexible for going around corners and obstacles.

If you can point to any review of the 35 foot monoprice cable showing any defeciencies at all, please do so.

+1 I would like to see a review as well. I run a 50ft Monoprice cable with no problem at all.

Life is hard, be harder.
post #16 of 18 Old 04-11-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:

+2 Price doesn't always dictate quality or better performance. I use to work in the consumer electronics wholesale business, and the mark up on cable name brand products is very high. As long as the cable is well shielded to prevent magnetic interference on long runs, it should work just fine.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #17 of 18 Old 04-11-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

+2 Price doesn't always dictate quality or better performance. I use to work in the consumer electronics wholesale business, and the mark up on cable name brand products is very high. As long as the cable is well shielded to prevent magnetic interference on long runs, it should work just fine.

Ian

The profit margin on speaker wire and interconnects is the highest in all of A/V. That's one reason places like Best Buy push Monster on unsuspecting buyers and people who just don't know any better.
post #18 of 18 Old 04-11-2012, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:

The profit margin on speaker wire and interconnects is the highest in all of A/V. That's one reason places like Best Buy push Monster on unsuspecting buyers and people who just don't know any better.

+1

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page