post #31 of 41 Old 04-16-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm View Post

I got the digital SPL meter from Radio Shack. It worked wonders for my system. Far better than YPAO.

Here's exactly what I did (first time EVER touching a SPL meter let alone using one)...

1. Set it to C-Weighing
2. 70db on the dial
3. Sat in my main LP and placed it on my thigh (best I could do)
4. Started my test tones on my Yamaha AVR
5. Turned my Volume to 0 db
6. Adjusted all my speakers till it read 75 db on the meter.

Completely different from what YPAO had set it, especially the Sub. I am going to try again mounting the SPL meter to a tripod of some sort and see if I get a difference. I did have a 1-2 db difference when I held the meter straight up as opposed to pointed towards the front.

One of the best 50 bucks Ive spent.

Yes it can be great but you do want it at ear level as that will affect the readings as you know.

Mario Lemieux is GOD!
Go Pens!!!
Aguante Boca!!!
If dolphins are so smart...why do they live in igloos?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 04-16-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Gabriel Gerena View Post

Yes it can be great but you do want it at ear level as that will affect the readings as you know.

I know. I am going to try that again when the family is out of the house.
post #33 of 41 Old 04-16-2012, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do I need some thing with fast/slow settings? Or high , low settings??
post #34 of 41 Old 04-16-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltysteven View Post

Do I need some thing with fast/slow settings? Or high , low settings??

Also,
Should I look at a cem mini spl $26
Or $39 gsi ght850?
post #35 of 41 Old 04-16-2012, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Would someone mind posting the advantages of the Galaxy meter versus the Radio shack?
I am just curious if it would be worth it to have a Galaxy shipped to me, versus just stopping by a local RS to pick up one of their meters.
post #36 of 41 Old 04-16-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_abbot View Post

Would someone mind posting the advantages of the Galaxy meter versus the Radio shack?
I am just curious if it would be worth it to have a Galaxy shipped to me, versus just stopping by a local RS to pick up one of their meters.

Radio shack doesn't sell the analog anymore.
post #37 of 41 Old 10-04-2014, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltysteven View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by the_abbot

Radio shack doesn't sell the analog anymore.
I am considering this, just not sure what to DO with it since I am so new to this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=A9DVUS2B9UXTW

But I read a lot of arguments about going the other way entirely and using something like:

Dayton Audio EMM-6 Electret Measurement Microphone

I wish I knew what the heck to do and then, HOW to do it. I have already downloaded TRuRTA and REW. Both make me more dizzy than usual just opening the programs and wondering what to do...

Pioneer Elite SC-81 7.2-Channel Class D3 Network A/V Receiver with HDMI 2.0--Klipsch KF-26 Towers--Klipsch KC-25 Center--BIC Acoustech PL-66 Surrounds--Outlaw LFM-1 Plus Sub #1--20 Year Old Polk PSW350 Sub #2

Last edited by oldsalt2; 10-04-2014 at 08:12 PM. Reason: forgot links
post #38 of 41 Old 10-04-2014, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
If you're just using it for REW, get a UMIK or a UMM-6. Both are USB microphones that plug in directly to your laptop and can be calibrated with their file through REW. I use a Dayton UMM-6 for all my measurement needs.

Marantz SR-5007
Klipsch WF-35, WC-24, WB-14
SVS PB-2000
LG 55LN5600
Sony PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U
post #39 of 41 Old 10-04-2014, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 428
You don't want to take measurements with a C-weighted meter; as CW is -6db@20hz and -3db@7khz

A UMIK-1 with calibration file is typically 5-25khz +-3db; and since it is USB it doesn't need a soundcard or mic-pre with phantom supply.

It's best to have both, one to tell you the approximate SPL as a portable handheld device and the other to tune systems with in detail.
post #40 of 41 Old 10-04-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycholis View Post
If you're just using it for REW, get a UMIK or a UMM-6. Both are USB microphones that plug in directly to your laptop and can be calibrated with their file through REW. I use a Dayton UMM-6 for all my measurement needs.
Yeah the Dayton UMM-6 is what I want, even though I then need anothjer $12.00 adapter cable from the mic to my PC. I have no idea what exactly I will end up doing with any of it. I'm disabled/retired so have 24/7 to try to learn and maybe make a new hobby playing around. have ALL brand new A/V equipment just in the past 7 days so ready to learn something darn it. Seems to me there are vastly more doors I can open up owning the Dayton UMM-6 than an SPL? I mean, my iPad has a free program I used to "tune" my 5.2 system minus my 2 subs. I'm just toying around but desperate to have something to LEARN to quit thinking about the [physical pain I am in. I actually more shocked my wife hasn't shot me and done me more damage than the 4 bullet & shrapnel wounds have done when I bought all this last week.

This hobby is not just a hobby. I have discovered that good A/V can take you both to and FROM places you need to be or leave. It is a journey, a love affair, a passion. I am smitten, in love am hooked. Kinda tell that even with the lowly equipment I just got (have a very tiny budget), I am still walking in the clouds with excitement. Imagine if I ever got REAL "stuff"...Thank God for this forum who led to to where I am now at least.

Pioneer Elite SC-81 7.2-Channel Class D3 Network A/V Receiver with HDMI 2.0--Klipsch KF-26 Towers--Klipsch KC-25 Center--BIC Acoustech PL-66 Surrounds--Outlaw LFM-1 Plus Sub #1--20 Year Old Polk PSW350 Sub #2
post #41 of 41 Old 10-04-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post
You don't want to take measurements with a C-weighted meter; as CW is -6db@20hz and -3db@7khz

A UMIK-1 with calibration file is typically 5-25khz +-3db; and since it is USB it doesn't need a soundcard or mic-pre with phantom supply.

It's best to have both, one to tell you the approximate SPL as a portable handheld device and the other to tune systems with in detail.
Thank you BassThatHz. I wondered about that but my total ignorance makes me afraid to make any assumptions anymore. It also makes me wish I had a faster wheelchair that could outrun my wife....

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page