Anyone heard of Rogers subwoofer? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-12-2012, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

Just got into the audio world to compliment my HTPC setup.

Bought a second hand Niro Nakamichi two 6.1 Receiver with 6 Panasonic sb-pm19 speakers. The only thing lacking was a subwoofer so I went ahead and purchased a Subwoofer that was on offer (I am from Malaysia) Its a ROGERS RS-108 10" Subwoofer.

Specs are:

Power amplifier:100WATT RMS( 8 ohms)
Frequency Response:30hz-200hz +/-3db
Crossover:50hz-15-hz (variable)
Crossover Slope:12 db peroctave.
Driver unit:254mm Long throw.

What do you guys think of this purchase? What do you think of this brand?

I'm going to use it ONLY for movies. I'll be able to hook it up this weekend.

Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3 | i5 2500K | Intel® HD Graphics 3000 | Asus Xonar DX 7.1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-12-2012, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avngl View Post

Anyone heard of Rogers subwoofer?

That Rogers might be this Rogers ("Rogers British High-Fidelity"), although the only "108" the website lists is an ASB-108.

Quote:

... What do you think of this brand?

"Meh" comes to mind. But as long as you like how the sub performs in your HT set-up, that's all that really matters.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-12-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Let us know how it works out.
post #4 of 8 Old 04-12-2012, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

That Rogers might be this Rogers ("Rogers British High-Fidelity"), although the only "108" the website lists is an ASB-108.

"Meh" comes to mind. But as long as you like how the sub performs in your HT set-up, that's all that really matters.

Its definitely not the the ASB-108 model. The site was last updated on June2011. Will post a picture of the box tomorrow as its in my car ready to be shipped when i travel back to my hometown tomorrow.

I'll post how it runs out of the box, but being new in this, and as a user of pc speakers prior to this, i might not be the best person to judge unless there are specific things you guys have in mind for me to test the woofer with.

Do you think its worth the amount spent? I bought it for an "offer" at RM399 which is around 130 USD.

Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3 | i5 2500K | Intel® HD Graphics 3000 | Asus Xonar DX 7.1
post #5 of 8 Old 04-12-2012, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
I haven't looked into them for years, but Rogers is an old speaker brand. They are quite famous for their LS3/5A speaker model, a BBC monitoring standard. From the look of their web site and the broad product offerings my guess is that the company has been bought and diversified at some point. I don't know if that's good or bad, but it's certainly different than it used to be.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-12-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avngl View Post

I'll post how it runs out of the box, but being new in this, and as a user of pc speakers prior to this, i might not be the best person to judge unless there are specific things you guys have in mind for me to test the woofer with.

Hook it up, dial it in and then play some music and movies. Turn up the volume. Does the sub sound boomy or muddy? Do you hear any "chuffing" sounds from its port(s)? If you turn it up loud, does the driver start to flutter? Do you hear any "mechanical" sounds as though the driver were being pushed to its (mechanical) limits? Etc.

Quote:

Do you think its worth the amount spent? I bought it for an "offer" at RM399 which is around 130 USD.

Without knowing how it performs, it's hard to say whether or not it's worth $130.

I've heard the Polk PSW10. IMO:
- If you plan to use it in a modest set-up in a smaller room, it's worth the $99 sale price.
- If you plan to use it for HT in a larger room, where it may be pushed too hard, it's not worth the $99 sale price.
- It's never worth the full list price of anywhere from $200-$400.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-12-2012, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

Hook it up, dial it in and then play some music and movies. Turn up the volume. Does the sub sound boomy or muddy? Do you hear any "chuffing" sounds from its port(s)? If you turn it up loud, does the driver start to flutter? Do you hear any "mechanical" sounds as though the driver were being pushed to its (mechanical) limits? Etc.

Without knowing how it performs, it's hard to say whether or not it's worth $130.

I've heard the Polk PSW10. IMO:
- If you plan to use it in a modest set-up in a smaller room, it's worth the $99 sale price.
- If you plan to use it for HT in a larger room, where it may be pushed too hard, it's not worth the $99 sale price.
- It's never worth the full list price of anywhere from $200-$400.

Will try testing it when I get home today

Took a few pictures of the box:-

post #8 of 8 Old 07-19-2012, 06:51 PM

I have "ASB108" active sub-woofer and "RT919" receiver (both from Rogers HiFi). I have these with me for last 8 years now and using receiver only. My active sub-woofer dies down after about 2 minutes (right after my purchase). During these 2 initial minutes, the performance from this sub-woofer is excellent.
Does anyone have solution or suggestion for me? Maybe I'm not using it correctly or these two doesn't match each other? please help..
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page