AVS Forum banner

Rhythmic E15, F12 or SVS SB 12NSD

5K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  tvuong 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am looking for a sealed and compact subwoofer for my HT setup in my room of size 16 by 12 feet. I don't intend to change sub for at least next 5 years so I want to be sure that I am choosing best available option within price range of 1200 USD.

My query can be broken down to 2 choices i.e. either E15(F15HP) or others.

Would E15(F15 HP) be a overkill for my room setup? And if yes then out of F12 and SVS 12NSD which one should I choose.

My rest of the setup is Marantz 6006 avr and PSB Imagine mini speakers ( 5.1 setup)

Kind regards.

#2 ·
Well most on here will disagree with me, but I have the sb12 in a room the same if not a tad bigger than yours with an opening, and the thing pounds!! I am 95% movies too.

However you may want to look at the sb13 (even though it is now discontinued) if you can find a b-stock or used one.

I fully say the sb12 is enough...maybe you can get the new dual package that is under your budget. either way I promise you wont be disapointed

p.s. also not sure about the other companies but if you buy an svs and feel its not enough you can return within 45 days, and upgrade to another svs within a year!!

#3 ·
that's a good point brian raises, for $1149, you could also consider the dual package of SB12s. In a smallish room like yours, it's very likely you'll get null frequency spots near your listening location, and having two duals at opposite ends or corners will give you much better sound quality.

Keep in mind that your Imagine Mini should be crossed over at 100Hz, because hometheatermag measured their -3dB to be 90Hz. The older Rythmik F15 drops off at 90Hz which is not ideal for your Imagine Mini (not sure how their newer amps fares).

I would say the F12 or SB12 should be just enough to be satisfying, duals of those would be best for your situation. The F12 should be a slightly more capable sub in terms of sound quality, depth of bass, and tunability so that's my choice first.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive /forum/post/21901646

Keep in mind that your Imagine Mini should be crossed over at 100Hz, because hometheatermag measured their -3dB to be 90Hz. The older Rythmik F15 drops off at 90Hz which is not ideal for your Imagine Mini (not sure how their newer amps fares).

I would say the F12 or SB12 should be just enough to be satisfying, duals of those would be best for your situation. The F12 should be a slightly more capable sub in terms of sound quality, depth of bass, and tunability so that's my choice first.

Your comment of Rythmik crossover drop-off is spot on for old A370PEQ amplifier on F12 and F15, but Brian introduced the A370PEQ2 (discontinued) 2 years ago and the new A370PEQ3 (current model) with extended frequency range to 200 hz.

I crossover my F12SE/A370PEQ3 at 110 hz quite effectively. No localisation what ever.

BTW, OP didn't mention type of content he uses. Mine is 75/25 music and home cinema.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain- /forum/post/0

Your comment of Rythmik crossover drop-off is spot on for old A370PEQ amplifier on F12 and F15, but Brian introduced the A370PEQ2 (discontinued) 2 years ago and the new A370PEQ3 (current model) with extended frequency range to 200 hz.

I crossover my F12SE/A370PEQ3 at 110 hz quite effectively. No localisation what ever.

BTW, OP didn't mention type of content he uses. Mine is 75/25 music and home cinema.

My setup would be just opposite to yours
25/75 music and home cinema

And thanks for clarifying the doubt about frequency. For me F12 and F15 are costing almost same and I think it will be more logical to go F15.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive /forum/post/0

that's a good point brian raises, for $1149, you could also consider the dual package of SB12s. In a smallish room like yours, it's very likely you'll get null frequency spots near your listening location, and having two duals at opposite ends or corners will give you much better sound quality.

Unfortunately I can't go for dual sub. I am making a HT setup in my room is already a big deal for me because of my wife. If I suggest 2 Subwoofer in room I think I might have to start sleeping in living room :p

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg /forum/post/0

Well most on here will disagree with me, but I have the sb12 in a room the same if not a tad bigger than yours with an opening, and the thing pounds!! I am 95% movies too.

However you may want to look at the sb13 (even though it is now discontinued) if you can find a b-stock or used one.

I fully say the sb12 is enough...maybe you can get the new dual package that is under your budget. either way I promise you wont be disapointed

p.s. also not sure about the other companies but if you buy an svs and feel its not enough you can return within 45 days, and upgrade to another svs within a year!!

Well If I go with SB 12 NSD, I will end up saving 400 USD so definitely my mind still some time sings for SVS but then I read somewhere that F12 is even better than SB 12 Plus. That's why I am a bit confuse. Anyways my question is now between SB 12 NSD and F15. Hopefully will make decision within a day or two.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck /forum/post/21901841

In that case, go with the F15.

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by askme_scor /forum/post/21901818

Well If I go with SB 12 NSD, I will end up saving 400 USD so definitely my mind still some time sings for SVS but then I read somewhere that F12 is even better than SB 12 Plus. That's why I am a bit confuse. Anyways my question is now between SB 12 NSD and F15. Hopefully will make decision within a day or two.

I decided a couple of years ago to go with Rythmik, so I started saving for it.

During that period, the temptation to go with something cheaper came up repeatedly as I had been without sub for several years. But then, I realised that if I got the cheaper sub, I would end up regretting it later because it didn't have the parametric equaliser that Rythmik features.

So I persevered and continued to save for the Rythmik. It finally arrived in January and proved to be the correct decision.

Just like you, this was a long-term purchase thus minimising the urge to upgrade soon.

Just my 2p.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by askme_scor /forum/post/21901818

The SB12Plus is not being made anymore since it was replaced by the improved SB12-NSD, and the SB13-Plus is no longer available as they are revising it with a new cabinet (probably renaming it to SB13-Ultra since it basically uses Ultra parts already)

You certainly wouldn't go wrong with the F15, definitely better to have a little too much sub than too little, it's a sub that you can live with for a long long time, but I think you could be pretty darn happy with the SB12

#12 ·
The HSU ULS 15 just makes your budget, maybe a tad over with shipping. Comes with wireless so you can play with placement easier if needed and probably has more output than the others on your list.

#13 ·
Just want to share my experience. I am in the same boat as the OP. my room is 2700 cu ft, 75% music as well. My final choice is either Rythmik F15 or Hsu ULS-15. The 3rd horse of the race was SVS SB-13, but it has sold out. Technology-wise, I think F15 is better, but I like the rosenut finish of Hsu. So I am in a inpass on what to sacrifice.

Good luck on your search.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas_ben /forum/post/21904884

Just want to share my experience. I am in the same boat as the OP. my room is 2700 cu ft, 75% music as well. My final choice is either Rythmik F15 or Hsu ULS-15. The 3rd horse of the race was SVS SB-13, but it has sold out. Technology-wise, I think F15 is better, but I like the rosenut finish of Hsu. So I am in a inpass on what to sacrifice.

Good luck on your search.

Finish is why I chose F12SE over the Standard F12.

F15SE in piano black with black sub-woofer would be as stunning in appearance as it is with F12SE. The new grille cloth that only partially hides driver is icing on the cake.

I used to think I would prefer a light wood veneer until I saw the fit and finish of SE Rythmiks.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 /forum/post/0

The HSU ULS 15 just makes your budget, maybe a tad over with shipping. Comes with wireless so you can play with placement easier if needed and probably has more output than the others on your list.

I think I finally made my mind for rhythmic F15 or E15. But the wireless mode on ULS 15 has started playing tricks on my mind. As such only position for sub in my room is at the front wall's corner that also has 7 feet long glass sliding door for balcony on the side wall.

Now after reading some sub placement thread I figureed out that sub is best suited at rear wall. With rhythmic sub I don't have option to move sub occasionally to rear wall side them put back to front corner when not required. But with ULS 15 all this is possible. Can some one with more experience please help me out. If I keep rhythmic sub permanently on from corner, will there will be any issues or should I just go for ULS 15 and have the ease of shifting it when hardcore performance is required.

Kind regards.

P.S. I really don't care much about looks of the sub. The only thing I would want is better SQ in the given room conditions. ( room size 16*12)

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by askme_scor /forum/post/0

I think I finally made my mind for rhythmic F15 or E15. But the wireless mode on ULS 15 has started playing tricks on my mind. As such only position for sub in my room is at the front wall's corner that also has 7 feet long glass sliding door for balcony on the side wall.

Now after reading some sub placement thread I figureed out that sub is best suited at rear wall. With rhythmic sub I don't have option to move sub occasionally to rear wall side them put back to front corner when not required. But with ULS 15 all this is possible. Can some one with more experience please help me out. If I keep rhythmic sub permanently on from corner, will there will be any issues or should I just go for ULS 15 and have the ease of shifting it when hardcore performance is required.

Kind regards.

P.S. I really don't care much about looks of the sub. The only thing I would want is better SQ in the given room conditions. ( room size 16*12)

If the sole reason you are considering the ULS 15 over your other options is wireless, check the ULS-15 thread. The wireless functionality is hit and miss depending on local interference by other people's wireless transmitters (computer routers).

-a ULS-15 dualdrive owner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.