Should a sub be "boomy" in other part of the house - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-14-2012, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an 18 year old Velodyne Servo F 1000 sub that has not gotten much use over the years. I recently moved it down to the basement because I was able to finish that room and make it primarily a media room. I am not sure how good that sub still is especially with todays equipment. My main question is, if I am down the basement with the sub on, should it be boomy in other parts of the house?

If it is, could it simply be the sub is so old and needs to be replaced. Or is that simply how it is. I am the original owner of the sub and like I said hasn't been used too much over the years but if it getting alot of use now. I still have the manual and all of the specs if more detail is needed.

Thanks
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-14-2012, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
go to HT 101 and download the real traps audio test tones.
listen for clean smooth tones with out boominess as you may be over driving something.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=824554

my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-14-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by mld218 View Post

I have an 18 year old Velodyne Servo F 1000 sub that has not gotten much use over the years. I recently moved it down to the basement because I was able to finish that room and make it primarily a media room. I am not sure how good that sub still is especially with todays equipment. My main question is, if I am down the basement with the sub on, should it be boomy in other parts of the house?

If it is, could it simply be the sub is so old and needs to be replaced. Or is that simply how it is. I am the original owner of the sub and like I said hasn't been used too much over the years but if it getting alot of use now. I still have the manual and all of the specs if more detail is needed.

Thanks
Mike

You may be hearing the room resonance in the other rooms as low Hz carries unless you soundproof the room there is in not much you can do
other than lower the sub volume and if your current sub is not tight sounding it worsens the problem.
post #4 of 6 Old 04-14-2012, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
With regard to the unit itself, while the F1000 has certainly been surpassed in many ways, the Velodyne servo subs have always been solid subs that aim for tonal accuracy. As long as it meets your sub-woofing needs I'd stick with it until it does not.

Now, I may be misinterpreting what you are saying, but if the sub sound tonally bloated and inaccurate in other parts of the house, but sounds fine in the room it is in, then that's totally normal. Acoustics are tricky. It's hard enough to get a sub to sound great in one room, let alone the whole house.

Please. let me know if I've missed the ball here.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-14-2012, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply, yse you got my question perfectly. I am trying to figure out if replacing my F1000 will yield better sound quality and will I hear a difference. My receiver is brand new Yamaha RXA2010 as are my front and center speakers. The oldest part of the setup is that sub. Yes the sound was good in the room I was in, however my wife was saying the sound on the next floor up was boomy, like it hurt her ears boomy.

What I have been trying to figure out is a) will a new sub actually get me better sound. I think I can fit the SVS FC12 in my space. I'm just trying to understand if that will make a difference in sound quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraxoin View Post

With regard to the unit itself, while the F1000 has certainly been surpassed in many ways, the Velodyne servo subs have always been solid subs that aim for tonal accuracy. As long as it meets your sub-woofing needs I'd stick with it until it does not.

Now, I may be misinterpreting what you are saying, but if the sub sound tonally bloated and inaccurate in other parts of the house, but sounds fine in the room it is in, then that's totally normal. Acoustics are tricky. It's hard enough to get a sub to sound great in one room, let alone the whole house.

Please. let me know if I've missed the ball here.

post #6 of 6 Old 04-15-2012, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
No matter what sub you have, unless the room is acoustically sealed (very hard to do with low frequencies), you will hear rattles and boomy bass in other parts of the house. If you get a more capable sub, this phenomon will only get worse. Bass traps will help, but will not eliminate this problem. You may just have to turn it down when the wife is not watching or listening with you.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page