Subwoofer Problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 04-14-2012, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the Energy 5.1 Take Classic with a Yamaha Receiver. And the sub does not play.
The light in the front is on. Energy sent me a new amp and I replaced it and it still does not play.

I have tried running test tones, every speaker plays except the sub. Tried a new cable. It did not play randomly one day. I don't think it is the sub though because it makes zero noise.
What should I try
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-14-2012, 03:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Got an iPod or some other mp3 player? Get a cable like this and plug your mp3 player to your sub. See if it produces any output. Be sure to turn the crossover frequency up.

post #3 of 16 Old 04-14-2012, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 177
You can do that or just touch the end of the cable with your finger. if you get the hum your good. To me it sounds like an avr problem. Make sure your settings are ok. What Yamaha are you using?

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #4 of 16 Old 04-14-2012, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

I will try the ipod to sub tmrw when I get the cord.
It does not make any sound when touching the cable

Yamaha HTR-6240BL
I don't know what could have happened.
post #5 of 16 Old 04-14-2012, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by fender069 View Post

I will try the ipod to sub tmrw when I get the cord.
It does not make any sound when touching the cable

Yamaha HTR-6240BL
I don't know what could have happened.

Assuming you have the volume on the amp turned up and you touched the end of the cable the would normaly be plugged into the avr, it sounds like its either going to be the driver or the amp. You said that you have recently replaced the amp so then I would think it would be the driver. Strange.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #6 of 16 Old 04-14-2012, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by fender069 View Post

And the sub does not play.
The light in the front is on. Energy sent me a new amp and I replaced it and it still does not play.

What should I try

Hi fender069, remove the new amp and double check the connections (and at the driver).
post #7 of 16 Old 04-17-2012, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

So i tried the ipod into the subwoofer and it makes sound and played some music.
I checked my settings on the receiver.
i have bass coming out the swfr, crossover at 80, crossover all the way up on the amp.
using decent sub cable: monoprice one

Is my sub out on the receiver fried?
post #8 of 16 Old 04-18-2012, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I am assuming that you have the subwoofer set to 'on' in your AVR.
I am assuming that your monoprice cable was ok. If not you may need to try another cable.
Sometimes individuals move their equipment when the cable in still connected to the AVR or the subwoofer. The extra torque from the cable can cause the solder connection (on your AVR) to pull loose. People have got the rca connector working again by resoldering the rca connector.
post #9 of 16 Old 04-18-2012, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

The sub is set to 'on' with bass coming out of the swfr only.
The other speakers are set to small

I tried a different cable with no luck either.
So i guess the RCA connector is messed up, is there a way to still get the sub to work maybe.

would using the speaker wires connected to the receiver work in my situation to get bass
post #10 of 16 Old 04-18-2012, 09:33 PM

Liked: 11
You could use speaker wires in this case from the left and right front speakers to the subwoofer input.

Does your sub make sound if you connect it to a different output like the Audio Out or a Surround Back connection? This might help you rule out if it is the receiver sub out signal or the subwoofer itself is fried. Do you have access to another sub that you can try to connect to that output?

Do you have access ot a volt meter or an oscilloscope? You could try to measure the signal coming out of the receiver sub out line to be sure you even have a signal, if not, then it's either fried or not turned ON.

post #11 of 16 Old 05-03-2012, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

I did the wires coming out of the subwoofer and doubled it at the receiver for the speaker level lines. It still did not play oddly. Tried changing different settings as well.

Does your sub make sound if you connect it to a different output like the Audio Out or a Surround Back connection?
It made sound connected to the audio out, but it sounded very weird. so i cut it real fast. It did nothing with the surround back connection. I guess since it is connected to the sub preout too.

I do have a digital multimeter. Where would I check for signal
post #12 of 16 Old 05-04-2012, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Try wiggling the rca cable near where it is connected to the AVR. If solder is loose, sometimes the wiggling will cause the subwoofer sound to go in and out.

If that does not work, you could take the AVR apart (take case off) to look at the female rca connector inside your AVR.

The volt/ohm meter will be able to determine whether there is voltage in the female rca connector inside your AVR. It will not be able to tell you if there is some problem with the main circuit board in the AVR or with the female rca connector.
post #13 of 16 Old 08-13-2012, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

I've tried connecting the subwoofer speaker line input style, and still no luck. am i just not doing it right?
how do i get my subwoofer to play again, i'm missing the bass
post #14 of 16 Old 09-23-2012, 07:41 PM

Liked: 11
Yeah, you don't want to use speaker line inputs. Basically you just want to take a known working speaker channel like the front left or right RCA output and connect that to the subwoofer's RCA input. If the sub works and sounds OK, then it is good. If it doesn't make sound, then it is bad.

Then you really need to try to get access to a friend's subwoofer and connect it to your subwoofer out channel and if it works, then your receiver is good (which means your sub is probably bad), and if it doesn't work, then your receiver's sub channel is bad.

With the volt meter, you would need to measure the output on any channels while playing test tones. You can Google it to find descriptions on how to measure this.
post #15 of 16 Old 04-25-2013, 08:57 PM

I the same problem and it was a problem with the setup, not the subwoffer. I have a Denon, but it is probably the same issue for you. There are two things you can do that will probably help. One - after you make sure the subwoffer is "on" (probably is) you may have to change the settings to make it work with all modes. For the Denon it was the "LFE+Main" setting in the Speakers/Bass menu. Without that, the subwoffer didn't come on with my iPad although it did work with the television. But, it only worked with the television after I adjusted the decibel level in a totally different menu - it was the "audio" menu on the Denon. So, basically, what I'm saying is that you need to work with the Setup menu on your system and keep tweaking it. I think you'll get it going. Good luck!
post #16 of 16 Old 04-26-2013, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Did you run room calibration with the sub hooked up? what volume do you have the sub set to? In the configuration are your front speakers set to small or large? In the config have you adjusted the subwoofer volume up or down? what about the trim?

I had difficulty with my yamaha receiver and the sub running it took a factory reboot to get it to work right again.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page