DT supercube III amp question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-18-2012, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, I found someone selling a definitive tech supercube III but it's 240V. However, I was thinking I could just replace the amp inside to run it at 120V. But the place selling the replacement amp shows 2 different parts:

1. Pre-amp and plate
hxxp://reconingspeakers.com/products-page/electronic-parts/definitive-technology-supercube-iii-pre-amp/

2. Amp
hxxp://reconingspeakers.com/products-page/electronic-parts/definitive-technology-supercube-iii-amplifier/

Can I just replace the pre-amp board then? The amp that plugs into it would be fed DC voltage at that point so it would be OK, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-19-2012, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Why? It's not a great sub to begin with, that's grossly over priced, so why waste your money to acquire and then mod it? Unless you get the SCIII for next to nothing, I'd just erase that strategy. Far better bang for the buck options out there. My .02 fwiw.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-19-2012, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by underthebridge View Post

Hi all, I found someone selling a definitive tech supercube III but it's 240V. However, I was thinking I could just replace the amp inside to run it at 120V. But the place selling the replacement amp shows 2 different parts:

1. Pre-amp and plate
hxxp://reconingspeakers.com/products-page/electronic-parts/definitive-technology-supercube-iii-pre-amp/

2. Amp
hxxp://reconingspeakers.com/products-page/electronic-parts/definitive-technology-supercube-iii-amplifier/

Can I just replace the pre-amp board then? The amp that plugs into it would be fed DC voltage at that point so it would be OK, right?

As the previous poster noted, the SCIII was always a mediocre performer when you look at the test results. I am posting a link with the subs listed in order of performance and the SCIII is at number 155.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...hl=en_US#gid=0

Maximum output from 25-62Hz is only 98 db and 25Hz maxes out at 82db. Frequency response is a paltry 44-110 +/- 2.3 db.

I recommend the Outlaw M8 B-Stock which is only $225 delivered.

https://www.outlawaudio.com/mofcart/bstock.html
post #4 of 4 Old 04-20-2012, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I appreciate all your responses.

I am looking at this sub because it is quite compact (10-13/16 x 10-3/16 x 11-5/16) and accepts speaker level inputs which I will need in my setup. I was also looking at the Velodyne Impact-Mini but was not quite as impressed with its specs.

Of course I am open to any suggestions for any compact subs out there in the $200-400 range. I'd rather get a front-firing one as I don't want to go on the floor.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page