Adding second smaller sub for a more even response to a single seat? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 04-25-2012, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is my deal, I have an ED A2-300 (12") that fills my (4000 cu ft) room up with enough sound for three of my four seats. I have two seats in front, two seats in rear. The rear seats have good response no matter where the sub is placed. The fronts have the problem of one seat suffering depending on where the sub is placed. Not suffering a whole lot, but still suffering.

My budget is going to be limited for a while, so as a temp fix I am thinking of using an older Polk 8" active ported sub that I have sitting around. The woofer is blown, but the amp works fine, so I am thinking of purchasing the ed 3.8 which is on clearance right now.

I am looking at placing this second smaller sub directly behind the two front seats or directly next to the problem seat.

Good idea? Bad idea? Save my $40 and let one seat suffer? Save for another A2-300? Sell the A2-300 and get something more powerful? Any comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-25-2012, 10:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
It's popular opinion that mixing and matching high and low powered subs isn't a problem providing they are properly integrated with one another. The problem, though, is that integrating such differently powered subs is difficult.

If it is done poorly, the result will be your ear will be drawn to the lower-powered sub as it runs out of steam and you hear its audible cries for mercy, whilst your higher-powered sub hasn't even kicked into gear yet. Unless you are prepared to test different high and low pass filters on the lower powered sub and are willing to spend the time for what will result in little benefit overall, I'd just get another A2-300 and be done with it.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page