Best $500 Sub - Page 3 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which ~$500 Sub To Recommend?
Epik Legend ($499) 0 0%
HSU VTF-2 mk4 ($519) 0 0%
Outlaw LFM-1 Plus ($499) 0 0%
Rhythmik FV-12 ($549) 0 0%
SVS SB-12 ($599) 0 0%
Outlaw LFM-1 EX ($649) 0 0%
Something Else 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 72 Old 04-30-2012, 08:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 765
If he can afford the Outlaw EX, he should get the HSU VTF-3 MK4 since it's about the same price. I have an EX--got it on sale--and I like it. But the VTF-3 MK4 seems to have an edge on it in overall performance based on all the testimonials and other information I've read. Or, the SVS PB12-NSD. While the EX has more SPL output, the PB12-NSD has a flatter response, will be plenty for his room (more SPL output than the other four subs), and has a limiter to prevent the sub from being over driven.

If he's going with one of the other 4 subs, since the Outlaw sale will be over by the time he makes a decision, get

- the VTF-2 MK4 if he wants to privilege a little deeper bass response (use maximum extension mode for down to 18hz)
- the Rythmik FV12 for a little better detail, but not quite as deep (but close)

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 72 Old 04-30-2012, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Not that this has really anything to do with this thread, but do any of you remember the Adire Audio "Rava" sub with it's legendary "Shiva MKII" driver?

What a great deal this was back before the company went out of business.

$ 399 + shipping from Seattle.

And it was all made right here in the good ol' USA! For a sealed sub that size, it just didn't get any better. And to think, I gave away free my Rava sub to a friend when I went to the Philippines to live for 5 years ... I so wish I had that sub back! What a BIG MISTAKE it was to give this sub away!

oh well ....

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...er-6-2002.html

post #63 of 72 Old 04-30-2012, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flt Simulation View Post

Not that this has really anything to do with this thread, but do any of you remember the Adire Audio "Rava" sub with it's legendary "Shiva MKII" driver?

What a great deal this was back before the company went out of business.

$ 399 + shipping from Seattle.

And it was all made right here in the good ol' USA! For a sealed sub that size, it just didn't get any better. And to think, I gave away free my Rava sub to a friend when I went to the Philippines to live for 5 years ... I so wish I had that sub back! What a BIG MISTAKE it was to give this sub away!

oh well ....

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...er-6-2002.html

I still have mine that I purchased new in 2003. It served me well for years until I finally upgraded going DIY.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #64 of 72 Old 04-30-2012, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Or, the SVS PB12-NSD. While the EX has more SPL output, the PB12-NSD has a flatter response, will be plenty for his room (more SPL output than the other four subs), and has a limiter to prevent the sub from being over driven.

All these subs have limiters. The PB12's might be a bit more fool-proof, but it's not likely that the limiters on any of these subs can be over-ridden unless the sub is used improperly. Digital limiters aren't a big deal unless the sub is used recklessly, and if the sub is used recklessly there are other ways of destroying a subwoofer aside from bottoming out the voice-coil on the back plate which a digital limiter does not protect against.
post #65 of 72 Old 05-01-2012, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The best $500 sub is a used $1000 sub.
post #66 of 72 Old 05-01-2012, 08:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

All these subs have limiters. The PB12's might be a bit more fool-proof, but it's not likely that the limiters on any of these subs can be over-ridden unless the sub is used improperly. Digital limiters aren't a big deal unless the sub is used recklessly, and if the sub is used recklessly there are other ways of destroying a subwoofer aside from bottoming out the voice-coil on the back plate which a digital limiter does not protect against.

Good to know. I was under the impression that the DSP on the SVS was much more effective than what is the analog amplifiers.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #67 of 72 Old 05-01-2012, 08:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Outlaw has sent an email to subscribers that the Plus is still on sale to the 4th if your friend wants it.

post #68 of 72 Old 05-01-2012, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Outlaw has sent an email to subscribers that the Plus is still on sale to the 4th if your friend wants it.

Thanks. FWIW, my friend did speak with Outlaw today. You guys were right; no budging on the EX.

Interesting enough...he spoke with 2 people (not sure one right after the other, or if he called twice, trying to get a different result...lol); but he said the one gal he spoke with did try to sell him on the Plus. The other rep...when he mentioned he was looking at the Epik Legend, at $500...he told him it was a great sub.

So...with the EX out of the race (or is it), I asked him about how firm he was on his budget. He's got some wiggle room, but I gotta tell ya...I'm hesitant to take him up much higher. My philosophy...whether it be HT, or 2-channel (where I have significantly more money invested)...is you have to be able to compare to something.

Sure, I believe the EX might be well worth the extra $150...but how will he know? This is his first HT, first sub; he's got no frame of reference. I'd almost rather save him the $150...get him a "plenty good" $500 unit, and let him get the jump on sub 2.0

I am going to post that new poll (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hp?t=1408461); @ $500, Epik Legend or Outlaw Plus. But if someone really wants to sway me...not so much with another model in the same line, like the EX...but another line altogether; HSU, SVS...I'd consider taking him a little higher.

I don't want to abuse the privilege though; I feel like we should be able to get him something "plenty good", for $600 or under.

Thanks again,
CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #69 of 72 Old 05-01-2012, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 56
It won't just be an extra $150. Shipping will be another $80 or so if he goes for the EX. I am not sure how much shipping will be on the legend, but I'm just guessing it'll be around the same price as shipping for the EX based on weight. The Plus sale does have free shipping so it will actually be $499 or whatever.

post #70 of 72 Old 05-01-2012, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by its phillip View Post

It won't just be an extra $150. Shipping will be another $80 or so if he goes for the EX. I am not sure how much shipping will be on the legend, but I'm just guessing it'll be around the same price as shipping for the EX based on weight. The Plus sale does have free shipping so it will actually be $499 or whatever.

Good point, thanks.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1408461

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #71 of 72 Old 05-05-2012, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For the record...I gave my friend all the feedback I had gathered on this thread, and the 2nd poll. I gave him one last opportunity to extend his budget...in order to step up to the LFM-1 EX. I also expressed my hesitation to go so far as to recommend that he do so...for the reasons I've stated before; this being his first HT, first sub, etc...I wasn't sure he'd be able to really sense or appreciate the difference...so he might as well save the extra money and stay on budget.

I also explained to him the "controversy" of the first poll...and why some of you feel the LFM-1 Plus would have beat-out the Epik Legend in a "fair fight"; and how it did just that, when I put them head-to-head in the 2nd poll (although I'm still not sure where all the Legend supporters went to).

In the end, I told him I thought it was a pick 'em; for him anyway. Again, not to sound like a broken record but...first HT, first sub; I told him I thought he'd be quite satisfied with either choice. To maybe look at warranty and support, to split the tie. In the end, I'm not sure what convinced him...but he did order an LFM-1 Plus, and I'm sure he'll be plenty happy with the results.

Thanks again for the help. In the end, I guess polls do carry some validity...as long as the results coincide with your POV.

CD

post #72 of 72 Old 11-01-2012, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
CD, how does your friend like the Outlaw Plus? I am thinking of ordering one myself?
thanks,
Todd
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page