Best $500 Sub - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which ~$500 Sub To Recommend?
Epik Legend ($499) 0 0%
HSU VTF-2 mk4 ($519) 0 0%
Outlaw LFM-1 Plus ($499) 0 0%
Rhythmik FV-12 ($549) 0 0%
SVS SB-12 ($599) 0 0%
Outlaw LFM-1 EX ($649) 0 0%
Something Else 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 72 Old 04-26-2012, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 295
OK...so this is the follow-up poll, to my OP for a recommendation of best $500 sub for my buddy.

He just bought a big, new house...and this is his first run at HT. I've been guiding him on some things, but I don't follow subs in this price range (I have a JLA F112)...so I'd just be throwing darts.

What's best bang-for-buck at plus-or-minus ~$500? Turns out, he's completely fine going ID...and I see that's where most of the recommendations are to this point. I'm going to list the contenders in the poll...and add one of my own, just for prosperity (the SVS).

Please record your vote...and if you choose 'something else', I'm not a mind-reader; make your case.

TIA,

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 Old 04-26-2012, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For those of you, who have chosen the Outlaw LFM-1 EX over the Plus; can I ask what the extra $150 gets you?

Thanks,
CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #3 of 72 Old 04-26-2012, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
you have a $600 and $650 sub in a $500 sub poll...
post #4 of 72 Old 04-26-2012, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1407644

Rumba 12 just got a review. Not sure how it compares to any on that list but its very possible that its a great contender.

- Kh[a]os

Please tell me what happened in this night.
It's like the cat inside the box.

You don't know if the cat in the box is dead or alive.

The cat in the box was dead.
post #5 of 72 Old 04-26-2012, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

Not only that but this might end up a popularity contest.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #6 of 72 Old 04-26-2012, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

~$500...around $500. I consider $600/650 to be in the same ballpark (just like, if someone wanted to chime-in with a $400 contender...that actually stacked-up...I'd happily consider it )

CD

post #7 of 72 Old 04-26-2012, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

Well...as best I can, I'll use my judgment, and apply additional research...to keep that from happening.

CD

post #8 of 72 Old 04-26-2012, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

My view is only subs from $450 - $550 should be in this poll. The most expensive option in this poll is the best, so it's pointless.
post #9 of 72 Old 04-26-2012, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

My view is only subs from $450 - $550 should be in this poll. The most expensive option in this poll is the best, so it's pointless.

Agreed. Most of these ID companies scale up quite nicely with price. If one of these companies produced a sub that beat the significantly higher dollar ones, then something is not right in the natural order of things. Not saying it isn't possible but as far as profit's go, I can't imagine any company sacrificing that much of a margin.

- Kh[a]os

It's like the cat inside the box.

You don't know if the cat in the box is dead or alive.

The cat in the box was dead.
post #10 of 72 Old 04-26-2012, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I tell you what Jay1; when you post your poll, you can have whatever POV you like; this one is mine. I included the more expensive options, because if they offer performance worth a little extra money...I think my friend would be willing to extend his budget.

Again...the budget is around $500; and if that means $450-550 for you, very well. I posted the subs I wanted included for consideration.

CD

post #11 of 72 Old 04-26-2012, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

And yet the $519 HSU model leads voting so far.

Fellas, give it a rest. If you don't like the parameters of the poll...go loiter somewhere else please.

CD

post #12 of 72 Old 04-26-2012, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

If your poll simply said "Which Sub To Recommend?" it would make sense lol
post #13 of 72 Old 04-26-2012, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

And yet the $519 HSU model leads voting so far.
Fellas, give it a rest. If you don't like the parameters of the poll...go loiter somewhere else please.

CD

One more thing. The LFM-1+ is essentially the exaxt same sub as the VTF2, with a more powerful amp and a slightly larger box (both designed by HSU). Normally it cost $30 more then the HSU, but it's on sale for $20 less with free shipping right now, yet the HSU is "winning"
post #14 of 72 Old 04-26-2012, 09:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

For those of you, who have chosen the Outlaw LFM-1 EX over the Plus; can I ask what the extra $150 gets you?

Thanks,
CD

A little better low end extension and definitely more output. It's undoubtedly the most powerful sub in this poll. See the review. Since you said your buddy just "bought a big, new house," if he's got a big room where the HT setup will be, he should go for the EX.

I had not voted for the EX, I would have voted for the Plus.

post #15 of 72 Old 04-26-2012, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 451
Quote:

One more thing. The LFM-1+ is essentially the exaxt same sub as the VTF2, with a more powerful amp and a slightly larger box (both designed by HSU). Normally it cost $30 more then the HSU, but it's on sale for $20 less with free shipping right now, yet the HSU is "winning"

The LFM+ is probably a slightly more capable subwoofer, but Hsu does have a well-deserved reputation for excellent post purchase support. From what I hear, Outlaw has good support as well, but look in the Hsu thread, and you will see the Dr giving placement and setup advice to his customers, even guys who have much older models of his subs. That is definitely worth something. Brain from Rythmik is making an effort to help his customers in the Rythmik thread too. Anyway, for the purposes of HT as the OP specified, the least capable sub in that group is easily the SB12, yet it has the most votes as I type this.
post #16 of 72 Old 04-27-2012, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

The LFM+ is probably a slightly more capable subwoofer, but Hsu does have a well-deserved reputation for excellent post purchase support. From what I hear, Outlaw has good support as well, but look in the Hsu thread, and you will see the Dr giving placement and setup advice to his customers, even guys who have much older models of his subs. That is definitely worth something. Brain from Rythmik is making an effort to help his customers in the Rythmik thread too. Anyway, for the purposes of HT as the OP specified, the least capable sub in that group is easily the SB12, yet it has the most votes as I type this.

I agree completely. Right now the price difference with shipping is $80 between the LFM+ and VTF2, that's hard to beat. My only explanation for the SVS is there are lots of happy owners on this forum voting for it, regardless of the value of the larger, cheaper ported subs.
post #17 of 72 Old 04-27-2012, 02:04 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Admitting that I am biased for the SVS (just bought two after a couple months of research and lurking on various forums), it is relevant to point out that these higher priced subs (like the SVS) are often found at discounts, bringing the price down very close to $500. Right now you can get the SVS SB12's for $575 delivered if you by the dual sub package. With delivery added in, I think it is very fair to consider them in this poll.
post #18 of 72 Old 04-27-2012, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

A little better low end extension and definitely more output. It's undoubtedly the most powerful sub in this poll. See the review. Since you said your buddy just "bought a big, new house," if he's got a big room where the HT setup will be, he should go for the EX.

I had not voted for the EX, I would have voted for the Plus.

Thanks. I am waiting for the dimensions of the room, but I get the impression it's definitely on the bigger side (my HT is a cozy 18 x 12 )

CD

post #19 of 72 Old 04-27-2012, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

OK, good info. I only included the SVS because so many people seem to like the brand...and this was the only model in my friend's budget.

As I said earlier; I'm not just looking at the poll numbers. So I appreciate all the posts (although I don't want this to turn into a sub war). I told my buddy, we'll look for an overwhelming trend and investigate further. Right now...Outlaw seems to be a strong contender, and I'll let him know about the great deal on the Plus, but that the EX is even "better"...albeit slightly more (and should distinguish itself in his bigger room).

Not done yet, so keep 'em coming. Again, help is really appreciated!

CD

post #20 of 72 Old 04-27-2012, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you are willing to stretch 650$ for the Outlaw EX, why not 10$ more for the VTF3? That would be my vote.
post #21 of 72 Old 04-27-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The Outlaw LFM-EX is probably the most powerful subwoofer on your list. They occasionally go on sale a couple of times per year.

Life is good.
post #22 of 72 Old 04-27-2012, 08:32 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2fast4u View Post

If you are willing to stretch 650$ for the Outlaw EX, why not 10$ more for the VTF3? That would be my vote.

If your gonna include either of these, after you include shipping, you could also look at the svs pb12-nsd....

PSN= Jamweiser
post #23 of 72 Old 04-27-2012, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
He just bought a big, new house...and this is his first run at HT.

did you+your buddy read through the DIY section? if building/making a HT there are a lot of options with diy....
like if he is putting in a raised floor at the rear hide subs under it.
or smaller room, hide it in a ottoman that has a downward facing speaker.
this one is large but you could: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1340095
make one with 12" 15" or 18" speaker and choose the speaker that will go to the lows you/he really want.
food for thought....you have several choices and there are several other ottoman designs out there.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=921153
if he is married the ottoman would please the wife with the design/looks like furniture
and not just a ugly HUGE box.

my HT
post #24 of 72 Old 04-27-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

WOW!! REALLY??? Now we are telling an OP WHAT to put in his posts? Is it not enough that most everyone recommends a sub for every sq. yard of floor space? Can't we have fun with this? If I made this post I would expect (just like when most people say when the OP asks for 1 sub and most say you need 2!) that $600. + is fair! No difference here! So $550. is upper limit for you according to YOU?! What's $50.-$100. more when performance would be a benefit?! We are supposed to be here to help one another!

Jeff
post #25 of 72 Old 04-27-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pronghorn/az View Post

WOW!! REALLY??? Now we are telling an OP WHAT to put in his posts? Is it not enough that most everyone recommends a sub for every sq. yard of floor space? Can't we have fun with this? If I made this post I would expect (just like when most people say when the OP asks for 1 sub and most say you need 2!) that $600. + is fair! No difference here! So $550. is upper limit for you according to YOU?! What's $50.-$100. more when performance would be a benefit?! We are supposed to be here to help one another!

Jeff

Did you even read the rest of the thread, or look at the poll results
post #26 of 72 Old 04-27-2012, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Did you even read the rest of the thread, or look at the poll results

Yup I did! But I'm looking at this in a sense of humor way, so don't take offense please. I'm just going on what always seems to happen when someone asks the given question..you need 2, 3,4 subs in that area,etc. and if you increase your budget a little...

Jeff
post #27 of 72 Old 04-27-2012, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
How about dual BIC PL-200's ? they should be around $600

"My English is not very good looking" - Celia Cruz

post #28 of 72 Old 04-27-2012, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2fast4u View Post

It would definitely be on my list at this point.
post #29 of 72 Old 04-27-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

The outlaw LFM-1EX($650) was just recently on sale for $550 and it appears to have done so annually in the last couple of years. I got mine when it went on sale and love it.

I also didn't vote b/c I didn't want to bias the results with my limited knowledge....ie the "popularity contest" idea. I couldn't honestly say I have heard the other options and the outlaw was better. Not sure how many voters could either. Ideally though, the best performer would be the most popular for a reason...
post #30 of 72 Old 04-27-2012, 02:05 PM

From what I have read, all the the subs in the poll are of excellent quality for the price.

I guess some are more suited for home theater use, than others.

My question is .... For just 2-channel music only, do you have an opinion which one of these subs might be the most "musical" (no need for thunderous bass or 'explosions', since I wouldn't be hooking this up to a watch an HD movie).

I was told, that for the most part, a sealed sub might have an advantage in just listening to music at moderate listening levels. Is that for the most part true?

Thank's
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page