New sub for LARGE room? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 04-26-2012, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well a week or two ago I posted on here and likely wasted some you good peoples time. I had some ideas of what I wanted, but was unsure of some things. I have a few more facts now and am wanting to do something. So I am again asking for your thoughts and will really try not to waste your time again

I have a large family room, great room area that is completely open to the kitchen area. The ceiling in this room are vaulted so the walls that are at one end of the room only go up 8 1/2 ft with everything open to the front of the house from there. Best I can figure, the great room area, including the kitchen is just under 10,000^3 ft. I said it was large.

For a number of years I have used a sub with a 12" driver and a ported cabinet. The cabinet size is roughly 15" square and the amp rating says "<10 % THD @ 125w @ 100Hz@ 4 ohms". It's cost was ~ $100. Now maybe I am not a terribly picky guy because for the most part I thought it did ok. I bet I was wrong. The amp has died on my sub.

I use my Yamaha AVR mostly for watching movies, but do also listen to music. I would not say serious listening though. I do have a pair of JBL L100T with 12"drivers that do a good job. Have had them for many years and need to have the surrounds replaced.

I know that I am not going to get that punch to the chest or "pressurize" the room, but I would like to try and make it sound good. At this time I only plan on purchasing one sub and the way I figure, any quality sub should sound amazing compared to what I have had.

My budget is no higher than approx. $1000. For that I could get a hsu VTF-15H, a VTF-3 MK4, or a Outlaw LFM-1 EX. And there are several other that could and maybe should be included in that list. But I am pretty firm on my budget.

I might add that my old sub has been placed in the corner to my left and ahead of where we sit when watching the TV.

So, with all that said, what do you think? I appreciate any thoughts, suggestions and or advice you might share.

Thank-you
Lon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-26-2012, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 340
VTF-15H or Epik Empire and possibly set it up nearfield for the most impact.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #3 of 16 Old 04-26-2012, 04:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 312
What speakers do you have? What model # Yamaha receiver? If the speakers/receiver are the "limiting factor" in terms of output, you only need to match their output capability. IOW, if the speakers will only hit 95 to 100 dB in your space, then all you need from the sub is 95 to 100 dB. There is no point in getting a sub that can play 10 dB louder than your speakers. You'll never use that last 10 dB because the speakers won't let you go there, (of this assumes a properly calibrated system and not a system running the subwoofer 10 dB hot.)

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 Old 04-26-2012, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

The Yamaha receiver is a RX-V2200 with power of about 100watts a channel. It is likely 7 or 8 years old now.

As I said, the main speakers are JBL L100T's and I have had them for many years. I do not have the spec's which I know is not much help, but as I recall, they were efficient. I did a search and was able to find them, but not any spec's.

My Center channel speaker is an Infinity Interlude IL25c. Sensitivity says 90db and freq. range 80 - 22k Hz.

I currently have no surround, rear, speakers.

Hope this helps, but am afraid it may not.

Lon
post #5 of 16 Old 04-26-2012, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 364
With that much space it will be tough for any single sub to do much. One you should probably check out though is the CraigSUB 18.1. With the 1000 watt amp it's just under your budget.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #6 of 16 Old 04-26-2012, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 677
Craig John. Who here doesn't run their subs a bit hot?

;p

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 16 Old 04-26-2012, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

With that much space it will be tough for any single sub to do much. One you should probably check out though is the CraigSUB 18.1. With the 1000 watt amp it's just under your budget.

I have dual SS-18.1s in a ~3,375 cu.ft. space and, IMO, a single SS-18.1 is insufficient for a 10,000 cu.ft. space. As far as current ChaseHT offerings go, I'd consider the SS-18.2 or the VS-18.1 instead. (Either one is over the OP's budget, but will - again, IMO - perform better in a 10,000 cu.ft. space than will an SS-18.1.)

post #8 of 16 Old 04-26-2012, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 185
VTF-15H nearfield.

Whatever you decide, place it nearfield to give you that punch.

post #9 of 16 Old 04-26-2012, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
With that much space to fill on a $1k budget you should plan on nearfield placement of a ported sub no matter what you get.

If you can push the budget a little higher then the Rythmik FV15HP would be my first recommendation followed by the CHT VS 18. 1, SVS PB12-Plus and HSU VTF-15H in descending order of cost. Only the Hsu is is under $1100 shipped
Tim

Good luck.
Tim
post #10 of 16 Old 04-26-2012, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
^^

Darn you dominguez I stopped midpost to hit the can and you beat me to the nearfield thing
post #11 of 16 Old 04-26-2012, 06:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrtrees View Post

The Yamaha receiver is a RX-V2200 with power of about 100watts a channel. It is likely 7 or 8 years old now.

As I said, the main speakers are JBL L100T's and I have had them for many years. I do not have the spec's which I know is not much help, but as I recall, they were efficient. I did a search and was able to find them, but not any spec's.

Here are the spec's:
http://www.jbl.com/resources/Brands/...L100t%20ts.pdf
No Power Handling or Max. Output spec's. If the foam surrounds are still intact, they should have good output, and adding subs will make them sound better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrtrees View Post

My Center channel speaker is an Infinity Interlude IL25c. Sensitivity says 90db and freq. range 80 - 22k Hz.

I currently have no surround, rear, speakers.

Hope this helps, but am afraid it may not.

Lon

Do you like the sound of that CC in combination with the L/R's? I wouldn't be surprised if the JBL's alone sounded better than the with the CC. Of course, if you have a wide seating area with multiple seats, the "hard" center speaker will anchor the center image better than the phantom center image of the L/R pair. Still, that speaker is probably the "limiting factor" in your system.

In terms of subs, I generally prefer multiple subs over a single. Multiple subs give 3 to 6 dB more output than a single and the ability to place them for improved frequency response across more seats. (Many forum members recommend a single, "better" sub, and that can be advantageous as well.) For duals subs, I think a pair of Epik Legends could work well in your room and hit your $1K price point.
http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/legend.html

Another option is a pair of Hsu VTF-2MK4's.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk4.html
Slightly over budget.

A similar sub, designed by the same folks is the Outlaw Audio LFM1 Plus. It's currently on sale, right at your price point and includes free shipping.
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfm1plus.html

Any of these placed nearfield should work well with your speakers.

Craig
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfm1plus.html

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

post #12 of 16 Old 04-26-2012, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

I have dual SS-18.1s in a ~3,375 cu.ft. space and, IMO, a single SS-18.1 is insufficient for a 10,000 cu.ft. space. As far as current ChaseHT offerings go, I'd consider the SS-18.2 or the VS-18.1 instead. (Either one is over the OP's budget, but will - again, IMO - perform better in a 10,000 cu.ft. space than will an SS-18.1.)

Precisely, but I figured a single 18.1 would probably do more then some of the units suggested. The other CHT subs I didn't mention because of the budget issue.

Realistically he needs a sub using this driver in order to fill that room...

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #13 of 16 Old 04-26-2012, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:

Or this one.

post #14 of 16 Old 04-26-2012, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

Precisely, but I figured a single 18.1 would probably do more then some of the units suggested. The other CHT subs I didn't mention because of the budget issue.

Perfect, he can sit on it!

Dual Submersive HP's

New HT Room -  

post #15 of 16 Old 04-26-2012, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodorthopod View Post

^^

Darn you dominguez I stopped midpost to hit the can and you beat me to the nearfield thing

Lol!

post #16 of 16 Old 04-26-2012, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Jim,I knew what driver you were referencing before I even looked at the link

Mr. craig john, you are right about the center channel. Have never been very happy with it and would like to replace it one day. Also, you did good finding the info on the JBL L100T.

I am leaving town for several days, but will continue to monitor this and do some looking when I get back.

Thanks all,
Lon
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page