Sub Recommendation (~2100 cubic feet, ~$1k budget) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-28-2012, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to start by saying that I don't really know anything, but I would like to think that I do my homework. I typically spend several hours scouring the internet and these forums reading information.

My room is about 14' x 18' and is not fully enclosed. It has a corner that opens to a stairway and is open to about 60% of the rest of the house.

I am looking to spend $1k or less, but would be willing to increase that slightly if it meant a significant bump in performance/value.

All of our listening is home theater.

I live in Montana, so shipping is a factor.

I am open to dual configurations (note that my AVR only has 1 sub output, so I would need to Y it, not sure if that is an issue).

I would rather get a powered sub. I don't want to mess with having a separate amp sitting around unless it provides a significant bump in value.

I tend to look for value more than anything else.

I pulled up some configurations that are in this price range based on the conversations I have been reading:
2 x Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus ($998 shipped)
1 x Epik Empire ($909.15 shipped)
2 x Epik Legend ($1,019.18)
1 x HSU ULS-15 in Satin Black ($1,168.00)
1 x HSU VTF-15 H ($1,018.00)
1 x HSU VTF-3 MK4 ($758.00)
2 x HSU VTF-2 MK4 ($1,164.00)

The price of the single HSU VTF-3 MK4 is attractive, but will I be unhappy with it? Is it worth the $250 bump to look at some of the dual setups? Or the single Epik Empire? Are the two that run about $1,165 a much better option? My other speakers are DefTech Mythos. Should I be looking for a DefTech sub?

Is there a ridiculous sale somewhere I should look at? Since I don't know much, I feel like I am wandering blind when browsing Audiogon. I don't know what is a good deal or what I should be interested in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-28-2012, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Saw this post and wanted to add the information requested there.

1. Your budget: As stated, $1,000 (including shipping), but I am a little flexible if it means a significant bump in value or other benefits.

2. Size requirements/limits: I don't think I have a size limit, other than nothing larger than 2' square. I plan on putting these behind our couch in the corners and I think I have 2' sq of space.

3. Room dimensions: I can measure exactly if needed but it is about 14' x 18' x 8' and the front left corner is open to about 60% of the rest of the house.

4. Primary uses: 100% Home theater (blu-ray movies and satellite television).

5. Listening habits: When watching TV we are pretty tame. When watching a movie, we will bump it up a little. If it helps, my HK AVR reads about 20-30db on the volume when watching a blu-ray.

6. Appearance requirements: I would prefer it not look terrible, but it will be mostly out of sight, out of mind.

7. Timeframe: I have waited 2 years, I could wait another couple months if need be, but I would prefer not to have to wait.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-28-2012, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
At 1K my vote normally goes for the VTF-15h but you said nothing over 2' and the 15h is 26" deep.

Mario Lemieux is GOD!
Go Pens!!!
Aguante Boca!!!
If dolphins are so smart...why do they live in igloos?
post #4 of 11 Old 04-28-2012, 11:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 635
I would go for the 2 Outlaw Plus's over the VTF-3 MK4. Two of them should have plenty of output, and they have decent low frequency range extension when put in maximum extension mode. Seems worthwhile to me to get the dual sub benefit.

post #5 of 11 Old 04-29-2012, 01:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 438
That is not a large space, so I think any of those subs will work well for you. I think the VTF15h or Empire might offer the most output, but probably more than you'll ever need. If you are the reference level listening type, I might swing for one of those, but if you don't often listen at loud volumes, I think one of the 12" subs will work for you.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-29-2012, 01:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I think in a room your size any of the the pairs of subs is going to net the best SQ over a single more expensive sub, as long as you're not going to stack them in the same location.

Here's another to add to the pair consideration

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/FV12.html

The outlaw is hard to beat with free shipping...
post #7 of 11 Old 04-29-2012, 01:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
You might find some interesting stuff here that fits in your price and SQ range: http://www.svsound.com/
post #8 of 11 Old 04-29-2012, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 93
The VTF-15H will not disappoint you I have been happy with mine for both extension and output with music and movies and at the 1000.00 price point there is no equal IMO.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-29-2012, 06:14 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

I think in a room your size any of the the pairs of subs is going to net the best SQ over a single more expensive sub, as long as you're not going to stack them in the same location.

Here's another to add to the pair consideration

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/FV12.html

The outlaw is hard to beat with free shipping...

+1 on the Outlaws. Looking at the frequency response of the Rythmik, they seem to roll off around 100 hz, so they might not be the best choice if satellite speakers are being used. If you have speakers that can be crossed over at 80hz or below, the FV12 would work fine.

The Empire wouldn't be a mistake either.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-29-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Or.....2 Rythmik FV12's or a single FV15. The dual FV12's are in you budget, including shipping. The FV15 about $200. over with shipping. Just a thought.

Jeff
post #11 of 11 Old 09-13-2012, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Just to close this out, I missed the sale on the Outlaw Audio subs. Since then, my situation has changed and I was nervous of spending ~1k. The Outlaw LFM-1 EX went on sale on 9/4 for $549 shipped. I picked that up and have been pretty happy with it so far.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page