AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 1039
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

My point is not to make this a personal attack on you,,

No, your point and most posters here point is that either I join the Emotiva/Oppo club or I'll be punished.

I refused to join so...

I am gone.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 85 Old 05-07-2012, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post

No, your point and most posters here point is that either I join the Emotiva/Oppo club or I'll be punished.

Was Oppo previously mentioned in this thread ?

Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.
post #63 of 85 Old 05-07-2012, 01:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:

I am gone.

I doubt you'll be missed.

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #64 of 85 Old 05-07-2012, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

I refused to join so...

I am gone.

Really? Well your the one asking about how to match a sub to a speaker...and oddly you're not taking any of the advice given to you by some great folks here. Stop wasting your own time and just buy the PSB sub instead of spitballing here.

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #65 of 85 Old 05-07-2012, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
seriously? I was just thinking of putting up my popcorn stand here and make some quick bucks. oh well. The way OP was putting up the PSB link in each of his post makes me wonder if he was a stooge...promoting PSB cross links for google to rank it higher.
post #66 of 85 Old 05-07-2012, 02:21 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikoo View Post

seriously? I was just thinking of putting up my popcorn stand here and make some quick bucks. oh well. The way OP was putting up the PSB link in each of his post makes me wonder if he was a stooge...promoting PSB cross links for google to rank it higher.

You have to go to his previous thread and read were this comes from. He has a connection challenge due to his amp and speaker configuration and it seems PSB has the appropriate connections. Not sure if there is another reason.

I do notice a lot of negativity in his post with regards to certain product lines, yet he's stuck on PSB. Odd.
post #67 of 85 Old 05-07-2012, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Money is not too important performance is, hence my question.

best sub from this page for my needs?

http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/subwoofers

and why?

thanks

I'm surprised no one pointed out the specs, since he was so interested in performance.

The *best* sub on that page has a -3db point at 25hz, with a -10db cutoff at 22hz. Simply not impressive in this day and age. Particularly for a ported sub, and when a cursory search landed a retail price of $2,100 for it...
post #68 of 85 Old 05-07-2012, 10:48 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slackjaw747 View Post

I'm surprised no one pointed out the specs, since he was so interested in performance.

The *best* sub on that page has a -3db point at 25hz, with a -10db cutoff at 22hz. Simply not impressive in this day and age. Particularly for a ported sub, and when a cursory search landed a retail price of $2,100 for it...

I think he was interested in a music only system and those fine specs are fine for that purpose.
post #69 of 85 Old 05-08-2012, 04:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

I think he was interested in a music only system and those fine specs are fine for that purpose.

But, come on. At the same time, you know you wouldn't pair Dali Mentor 5 speakers and an NAD C372 amp with a PSB ported sub for critical 2 channel listening. PSB's markets that the SubSeries 500 won "Best European Home Theater Subwoofer Award" at the Eisa Awards in Berlin. Good chance it's not better in SQ than the VTF-3 MK 4, PB12-NSD, or the EX.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #70 of 85 Old 05-08-2012, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
and it is $2100! For that money one could get a decent AVR (pre-pro) and a sub so there would not be any bass management issues. Spending so much on a sub par item just because it has the connection option makes no sense. Some people have the money but dont spend it wisely. Wonder why Alan Iverson went bankrupt after earning $165 Million in NBA?
post #71 of 85 Old 05-08-2012, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

Well, I think "all but acoustic, blues, rock based" would include pipe organ music.

Seriously though, if he were fine with those specs he should be looking at subs in the <$500 range.
post #72 of 85 Old 06-09-2012, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slackjaw747 View Post

Well, I think "all but acoustic, blues, rock based" would include pipe organ music.

Seriously though, if he were fine with those specs he should be looking at subs in the

I buy sound not specs.

More folks should do the same.

Also, if you read closely "all but acoustic, blues, rock based" means I listen to all music but (my collection is) acoustic, blues, rock based.

Sweet folks always in Avs.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #73 of 85 Old 06-09-2012, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post

I buy sound not specs.
More folks should do the same.

Actually, it's pretty clear from this thread and your other one on subs that you don't know what you are buying rolleyes.gif

post #74 of 85 Old 06-15-2012, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Actually, it's pretty clear from this thread and your other one on subs that you don't know what you are buying rolleyes.gif

From a guy that buys Empotiva, eek.gif

Enough said.

post #75 of 85 Old 06-15-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

From a guy that buys Empotiva, eek.gif
Enough said.

The Emotiva is not a bad sub, and I bet it's at least "matched to his speakers."

Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.
post #76 of 85 Old 06-15-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

The Emotiva is not a bad sub, and I bet it's at least "matched to his speakers."

Or if I had one it would be wink.gif

And ironically, the X-Ref 12 would probably have better sound than those PSB ported subs. LOL

post #77 of 85 Old 06-16-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Cel, you da man, as always. For some people, you can show them the brake pedal but you can't prevent them from running into a wall.

The biggest mistake I ever made in audio - the only mistake - was presuming that my sub should match my speakers. Had I asked for advice in advance, done the research necessary, I would have learned that the sub must match the room and saved a ton of money, frustration and a couple of years enjoyment (the latter is all too important!).

After the fifth or sixth echo of "which PSB" I'd have just chosen a link and sent the dude on his way. I applaud your helpfulness and propensity to stay with logic.

"A man who misses his opportunity, and monkey who misses his branch, cannot be saved." - Hindu proverb

post #78 of 85 Old 06-16-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

The biggest mistake I ever made in audio - the only mistake

I wish I could say I've only made one mistake in this hobby redface.gif

post #79 of 85 Old 06-16-2012, 05:02 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post

Go with the Sub Series 500. Why? That's a very good question. Since it is clear that you are hell bent on going with a sub brand that no one in their right mind would recommend, why not? You don't care about money and have to have PSB, may as well buy the best they have.

Shan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

Now, to this thread and to answer your quite specific topic starting question as to which sub from the PSB link you provided, then your 2nd very specific question as to which sub from the Dali link you provided. The answer is NONE. And you want to know why? Because they are ALL inferior subs, both in price and sound quality when compared to what has been suggested over and over again already, internet direct subwoofer companies.

And here is lesson #2...The only "matching" a subwoofer needs, is with another subwoofer, in which case, just as with the front speakers, they need to be the same for the best possible sound. And yes, this applies even if level matching is attempted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post

IAW your posts, money is irrelevant and the best performer from a specific product line is your desire. Go get the top of the line they offer.

These pretty well cover it.

I wish I had as much money, for a dedicated music system, as the OP says he does. Mine would kick ass!

post #80 of 85 Old 06-16-2012, 05:05 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:

Best one from this page for my needs?

and why?

Thanks very much.
Quote:

Thanks but what do you think is

and why?
Quote:

and why?
Quote:

"best" sub from this page for my needs in spite of the fact that you believe I would be over paying?

Quote:

Thanks but what do you think is the

and why?

There are many factors that got me down to this page and at this point I only need to know what I ask.

The feedback is appreciated but if you are not familiar enough with these products and specs and how they would relate to my room size and listening needs just say so.

I am starting to wonder if anyone really knows anything about subs. It sounds like each poster has a personal mantra that they cannot step out of.
Quote:

No, my question has not been answered which is why I keep asking it.

Thank you. Although this still does not answer my question it is great info and makes me reconsider.

Let me ask you this as a result of your post, putting aside connection issues for now, which sub here http://www.dali.com.au/categories/subwoofers.asp would compliment the Dali Mentor 5 best in your opinion and why?

2rs3X.jpg

post #81 of 85 Old 06-18-2012, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikerret View Post

I wish I had as much money, for a dedicated music system, as the OP says he does. Mine would kick ass!

Sorry yours does not. It's always a shame when someone can't earn enough to afford decent audio. redface.gif

post #82 of 85 Old 06-18-2012, 07:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Sorry yours does not. It's always a shame when someone can't earn enough to afford decent audio. redface.gif

I believe nikerret might have an Outlaw LFM-1 EX and a LFM-1 Plus. If he does, and you bought one of those PSB subs, his subwoofer setup will have better SQ than yours eek.gif

post #83 of 85 Old 06-18-2012, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

I believe nikerret might have an Outlaw LFM-1 EX and a LFM-1 Plus. If he does, and you bought one of those PSB subs, his subwoofer setup will have better SQ than yours eek.gif

If that's the case I am happy he was able to afford it. smile.gif

post #84 of 85 Old 06-18-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:

"Decent audio" is very relative. I have the best setup of anyone I personally know, right now. Compared to the US population, as a whole, I bet my system is better than most. Compared to the AVS population, my system is average. Yes, I bought an Outlaw Plus and an EX. RIght after I ordered the EX, I got deathly ill and had to stay in the hospital and ended up off work for over six weeks. The hospital bill combined with recent purchases all but bankrupted me. I'm still paying on the hospital bill, will be for the rest of the year.

Thankfully, I had already purchased by display (though still making some payments), AVR, PS3, BD player, and used JBL speakers; which are all paid off, save the display (three years to pay off, minimum unil I get hospital taken care of).

The upgradeitis had to stop, and will remain stopped, for a while.The price of that high-end PSB sub you like is more than I paid for my AVR, speakers, PS3, and two Outlaws. As I said, I would love to have that in my budget, and be able to put it toward upgrades. You are very fortunate.

post #85 of 85 Old 06-18-2012, 11:07 AM

OP, have you decided what you're going to get?

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page