Matching budget(<$300) sub with Monitor 70's - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-02-2012, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know this is my first post, but I have been surfing this site for the past few weeks just reading and learning.

I am looking to match a sub with my HT setup. Currently I have a pair of Polk Monitor 70's being pushed by a denon 1612. I have a polk CS2 center speaker on the way. Im looking for a sub that isn't going to break my budget, yet will still match the speakers I have. Mainly I listen to music and a little video games. The room is 14'x27'.

I've been looking at the Bic F-12 or a PSW505. But am afraid that these wont get low enough and I'll be stuck with mid-bass thats overpowering. I really dont want to spend over $300, but I am willing to wait for a sale if you reccomend a higher priced sub. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-02-2012, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackfireMedic View Post

I know this is my first post, but I have been surfing this site for the past few weeks just reading and learning.

I am looking to match a sub with my HT setup. Currently I have a pair of Polk Monitor 70's being pushed by a denon 1612. I have a polk CS2 center speaker on the way. Im looking for a sub that isn't going to break my budget, yet will still match the speakers I have. Mainly I listen to music and a little video games. The room is 14'x27'.

I've been looking at the Bic F-12 or a PSW505. But am afraid that these wont get low enough and I'll be stuck with mid-bass thats overpowering. I really dont want to spend over $300, but I am willing to wait for a sale if you reccomend a higher priced sub. Thanks.

You have a pretty large space. Pressurizing that space for $300 or less is going to mean either upping your budget or settling for one of the exaggerated mid-bass subs.

Ignoring your space for a moment:

1) Energy S10.3
2) Outlaw M8 B-Stock
3) HSU VTF-1

The Energy S10.3 has sold for as little as $200 shipped in the last few months. I think the supply is drying up and the price is higher now. Still, the S10.3 doesn't have the typical mid bass bump of so many of the lower price subs from companies like LAVA and Cadence. Some here like LAVA, Cadence, and the Premier Acoustic PL-150. All 3 measure more like mid-bass modules, but some people get them for their significant output, even if it is centered between 63-70Hz.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-02-2012, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

You mention upping my budget. By how much? If I need to save for a little while I'm fine with that. I would rather not have a sub for a few months so I that I can get one that fits; As opposed to buy one now and it not filling the room.

For someone like myself who has never heard a quality HT setup, would I even miss the Lows that the F12 or PSW505 cant reproduce? As long as it produces enough bass to fill the room.
post #4 of 9 Old 05-02-2012, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Bic PL-200 is better than both the psw505 and F12
post #5 of 9 Old 05-02-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackfireMedic View Post

For someone like myself who has never heard a quality HT setup, would I even miss the Lows that the F12 or PSW505 cant reproduce? As long as it produces enough bass to fill the room.

The subs that would fill your room and provide solid <30hz bass response are the Rythmik FV12, Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus, the Epik Legend, and the HSU VTF-2 MK4. They run $500 to $600 shipped.

You probably wouldn't miss them if you've never heard a sub like these, but you certainly would notice a big difference if you compare them side by side with the F12 and the PSW505. IMHO, it would be well worth waiting until you can afford it.

Otherwise, if you feel you have to buy now, spend just a little more for the PA-150 and it will have plenty of bass for your big room down to about 30hz. Check out these two threads to learn more about it and how to get it for around $350:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1280810
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1388371

post #6 of 9 Old 05-02-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
I usually agree with cel4145, however, if you look at the frequncy response in the link below, you will see that the PL-150 has its maximum output between 70-80Hz, and that it rolls-off by around 20 db at 20Hz. Subs that cost more behave better. That way you can get the full impact of truly deep bass. But, if you can turn a blind-eye to the realities of inexpensive subs that can pressurize your space, you may be satisfied with the PL-150.

http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=48&mset=46
post #7 of 9 Old 05-02-2012, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

I've read so much in the past few days about subs that I dont know what i want anymore.

I suppose that I should get a sub that at the very least, fills the room.

The PL-200 on that website you quoted, data-bass, didn't get as loud as the PA-150, but it did stay lower. Is that a good option then? Or is it just a matter of size, and the PL-200 doesn't have it to fill the space i have.

I'm trying to understand all the graphs and charts that I just looked at. So I apologize if I'm not making any sense.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-02-2012, 11:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 635
See this post. Skally who has had both dual PL-200s and the PA-150 says he likes the PA-150 better than his two PL-200s.

post #9 of 9 Old 05-02-2012, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

So between the PA-150 new, and a used LFM-1?... Are there any special considerations to buying a used sub?
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page